more ยป" />

Ben and Ashley’s Wedding: Getting Ready

by Meghann on February 19, 2012

Ben and Ashley’s wedding morning started early with 7:00am appointments at the salon for the bride and her bridal party. A 1:00pm ceremony meant we had to be ready for the first round of ‘getting dressed’ photos by 10:30am.

7 girls + 3 hairstylists + 1 make-up artist = just over 3 hours of beauty making magic. :)

Ashley’s mother arranged for a beautiful breakfast display of Sunrise Bakery goodies, fruit, and mimosas for everyone to nibble and sip on as we had our hair pulled and faces made up.

IMG_8425.JPG IMG_8429.JPG

The perfect excuse to use our new glasses. :)

The bride had the honor of popping the bubbly

IMG_8455.jpg IMG_8456.jpg IMG_8461.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg IMG_8463.jpg

Every morning should begin with mimosas. :)

I nabbed my favorite orange date scone and a generous helping of fruit.

IMG_8439.jpg

Ashley had provided the salon with a photo of a braided hairstyle she had pinned and loved for all of the bridesmaids. Since the stylists already knew what to do with everyone’s hair, the process went relatively quickly.

Chelsea and Amanda went first and looked absolutely adorable in the chic up-do.

IMG_8446.JPG IMG_8447.JPG

IMG_8482.JPG IMG_8483.JPG

There was a tiny hiccup when the stylist got to mine and Kelly’s thick hair, but she made it work. :)

IMG_8487.JPG IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8490.jpg IMG_8491.jpg

They saved the best for last. :)

I loved Ashley’s loose front swoop and low bun of curls. It was perfect. :)

IMG_8496.JPG IMG_8502.JPG

She really didn’t need the make-up – she was already glowing! :)

Bridesmaids ready to go!

We left the salon and headed to Ashley’s house to change and take a few getting ready photos with the photographer. Seeing Ashley slip the dress on with her hair and make-up done and the veil in place was definitely had me wiping a few tears away. We did a mini-toast to the bride and made sure Ashley ate a granola bar before she left the house.

Ashley and Ben opted for an intimate first look with only the two of them and the photographer in attendance. While the two of them did their first look at a nearby park, the bridesmaids and groomsmen got to work decorating the getaway cars.

Yes – carS. Ashley and Ben really wanted to leave the ceremony in Ben’s VW Beetle, which he restored in high school and took her out in their first date in, but there’s no way the bug would have made the 25 minute trip to the reception site. Plus, the bug doesn’t have AC – a BIG no, no for wedding day hair!

So instead of making the entire trip in the bug, Ben and Ashley decided to just circle the block, then return to the parking lot to take Ashley’s car to the reception site.

Fine by us, double the cars = double the fun.

The bug had to be ‘picture appropriate’ but Ashley’s car was a no holds bar.

Blow-up condoms? Why not. ;)

IMG_8561.JPG IMG_8562.JPG IMG_8563.JPG

All ready for the newlyweds!

I’ll be back with the ceremony and reception!

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 19, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I love the idea of them driving away in the VW. So cute!
And I love the hair on all of you ladies!

2 Sana February 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Bahaha blow up condoms? Hahah, you guys really had fun with that one.

3 Cait's Plate February 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm

LOVE the shot of all the girls with their hair done. And all the decorating the car pictures. So classic.

4 Sarah @Blonde Bostonian February 19, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I love the painted glasses – they’re such a cute gift idea!

5 Kira H February 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Seriously. Blow up condoms? I just can’t. Ugh.

6 Becca February 20, 2012 at 9:16 am

What? You have a problem with that? I’m just disappointed that tubes of lube and spermicide were not also involved. Eternal love! And/or generic one-night stand. Whatever!

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 19, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I wish the brides would’ve picked out bridesmaid hairstyles for the weddings I’ve been in, that’s always the hardest part! I would’ve loved someone making that decision for me! You all looked gorgeous!

8 MrsSwan February 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm

You all kick ass! To much fun was had by you all! Love it!!

9 erica February 20, 2012 at 2:53 am

love the hair! i love updos that use braids!

10 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 20, 2012 at 6:08 am

The VW is so cute and perfect for a “getaway car.” Please post pics of them actually in the car. :)

11 Liz February 20, 2012 at 8:01 am

Blow up condoms? Seriously? I can’t even begin to express how disrespectful that is. If someone my at my wedding did that to my car…they would not be invited back. This was their special day- why do something so obnoxious?

12 Meghann February 20, 2012 at 8:18 am

It was fun! :) They knew it was coming (it’s a tradition in my family to decorate the newlyweds’ car) and they never said ‘no condoms.’ When they saw the condoms – they laughed and told us ‘don’t worry – payback is a bitch’ then got in the car and drove away.

13 Lyns February 20, 2012 at 8:29 am

Nothin’ but class there.

14 Liz February 20, 2012 at 8:57 am

Just because something is a tradition doesn’t make it classy or appropriate. We an agree to disagree, but I’m just seriously disgusted

15 Kimmy February 20, 2012 at 9:39 am

So classy. I love how you really drove it home with pictures of you blowing up said condoms.

16 Lyns February 20, 2012 at 11:05 am

I saw your tweet and just don’t get it… it’s “old school” to decorate with condoms at an actual wedding? So confused.

I live in CFL, so at the very least I hope readers don’t think we are all this tasteless.

17 Meghann February 20, 2012 at 11:11 am

I said it was ‘old school’ because I know it was a lot more popular back in the day to go all out decorating the cars – not necessarily with condoms. No one meant any disrespect – we were just having fun, as were the bride and groom. They’ve seen it before and were expecting it for their own wedding. Every family is different and this is just our family’s sense of humor and our way of congratulating the bride and groom. If they had said no then we would not have done it. It was all in good fun. :)

18 Christine February 20, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I really can’t grasp why so many people feel the need to share their opinion on your blog in such a negative/angry way. Putting you down and calling you names is not acceptable. I am a high school teacher and I think I am going to add a couple of lessons abt constructive ways to express dissent. The cattiness in some of your comments totally counters the progress society has been working toward in females uplifting one another. I’m not trying to be aggressive or rude but she is so obviously full of class, grace and love AND she knows how to have fun!…I live in the deep south and we so rock the blow up condoms! Churches, also, promote healthy sexual relationships btwn married peops. It is their wedding night, the jig is up…so sex is not taboo for them in any way. I’m proud of you for never apologizing for who you are! You’re doing a great job, Meghann.

19 MelanieF February 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Wow! All this over blow-up condoms! They were just having fun.

20 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 20, 2012 at 8:27 am

Aw what a fun morning, I can’t wait to see the rest of the pics!

21 Cat Melnyk February 20, 2012 at 8:30 am

This is too cute! I love the braid in you guys’s hair and the car is hilarious!!!!!!!

22 Heather @ Housewife Glamour February 20, 2012 at 8:38 am

I just love wedding stories…I’ve been in 5 now and my 6th is coming this October. The VW is such a sweet cute idea! I’ll definitely have to remember your car decorating techniques…:)

And, adorable bridesmaid dresses!

23 Alicia February 20, 2012 at 8:48 am

Blow up condoms after a Catholic mass ceremony? Family tradition or not, seriously disrespectful to the couple and their Church.

24 Rachel February 20, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Agreed. Wrong place, wrong time for that kind of “tradition.” In any case, the fun tradition of condoms on a car is proooobably less important to uphold than respecting. the Church’s tradition in regards to contraception.

25 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy February 20, 2012 at 9:13 am

Where did you get those glasses? I’m looking for some for my bridesmaids, and love those!

26 Joss February 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

I really love the braided hairdos for you girls – looks so sweet :D

27 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

I love the hairstyle you all had! My brother and sister-in-law’s ceremony was at 3, so luckily we didn’t have to hit the salon until 10. Everyone else slept in, and I was the freak who woke up at 7 to workout… Haha.

28 Emily February 20, 2012 at 11:28 am

oh my gosh… that’s hilarious!

I love the hairstyle she chose. It’s gorgeous on all of you ladies!

29 Maureen February 20, 2012 at 11:43 am

Love that VW!! And all of your hair and makeup looked amazing! I just love everything about weddings!

30 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Cute Bug!! I love that idea. And I love the ladies’ hairdos!

31 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy February 20, 2012 at 4:45 pm

The bridesmaids dresses are really cute and a great color! What brand are they?

32 Elle February 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I completely agree. The fact that they said “Payback’s a bitch” should tell you that they were pretty wholly unimpressed by your juvenility. I feel very sorry for Ashley; if someone disrespected me by doing something so tasteless on my wedding day, I would certainly question their judgment and manners.

33 NJ February 20, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Christine,

No one is being hurtful to Meghann but rather posters are expressing their distaste for something truly distasteful. Blowing up condoms (with your DAD to boot) outside of a Catholic Church is extremely disrespectful. If you don’t see that, it is your prerogative I suppose. It is pretty obvious, though.

34 Meghann February 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm

What if I told you my dad was the one who bought the condoms? And he was blowing them up too? I don’t mind the opinions of how distasteful this was, to each their own, but I would like to point out that I was not the only one blowing up condoms, nor was I the one who started it. There was a group of 10 or 12 adults (including fathers and uncles and a devout catholic grandmother) who surrounded the car and blew up condoms. We all laughed – the bride and groom laughed – everyone was happy. This scene isn’t for everyone (I 100% admit to that), but of everyone in attendance, no one was saying how distasteful it was and I believe that’s what really matters.

35 Bri February 21, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Meghann,
First of all, I wanted to say I freaking love all of the last few posts-it sounds like it was the perfect weekend for the bride/groom and all the family and friends. And btw, the two of them are going to have GORGEOUS babies :). I’ve been a reader of your blog for the last few years (you were actually the first healthy living blog that I started to read-can’t describe how much I want to thank you for bringing me into this world as a reader!). This is actually the first time I have ever posted a comment but I was literally fuming as I read the comments and wanted to make sure that the majority of your comments are HAPPY ones and therefore felt obligated to give you some loving. I think all of the judgey comments are so uncalled for- if people don’t agree with your opinions/actions-they don’t have to read your blog! Instead of preaching about how inappropriate the condoms were, why don’t they take a little time to practice some tolerance? Sex between a married couple is supposed to be celebrated- and most definitely not seen as a secret taboo act. Besides, everyone will have their own wedding dreams, but a wedding without silliness and fun doesn’t sound like the perfect wedding and certainly not something that would fit your family’s personalities the way you have portrayed them on your blog. Kudos for you for being able to brush these inconsiderate comments off your shoulder. Personally, I think that the commenters above clearly have too much tension and time on their hands…and most definitely need to get laid more often :)

36 Danielle February 22, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Hey Meghann! I’m so in love with those wine glasses! Can you send me where you got them?

37 Meghann February 23, 2012 at 10:21 am

I know she ordered them off of Etsy, but I’m not sure who the seller was.