Caught in the act

by Meghann on February 14, 2012

Pinterest Fail :(

Really, this one was my fault. The avocado wasn’t ripe enough and it just went downhill from there.

Here was my original inspiration.

It sounded easy enough:

• Cut avocado in half
  • Remove nut
  • Add egg
  • Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes

But, yeah, the under-ripened avocado mixed with a wobbly yolk that decided to spill over the edge was not a good combination.

Oh, well. I’m sure I’ll try it again. I’m not ready to give up that easily. :)

Lunch ended up just being a bunch of leftovers instead.

The last slice of cauliflower pizza

Edamame (plus about 15 – 20 more that I couldn’t stop snacking on while trying to figure the egg-in-avocado out.)

And cheese stick

It worked. :)

Race Photos

The official race photos for the Rock ‘n’ Roll St. Pete 1/2 Marathon were released yesterday. The official photos are the best because every runner has this mental image of what we *think* we look like out on the course – strong, lean, perfect posture, big smile (HA!) – and then we get our photos and realize it’s more like this.

Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 5.17.13 PM.png

Oh, yes. That’s what a real runner looks like – all squished and hanging on for dear life. At least, that’s what this runner looks like. ;)

In all fairness, there are runners out there who take amazing race photos and I bow down to each and everyone of them. There were even a few from this race’s batch that weren’t terrible, but it’s the hilarious ones that are always my favorites.

Like getting caught taking photos on the pier

Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 5.13.50 PM.png Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 5.15.58 PM.png

or playing grab-sy with my shirt

Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 5.16.15 PM.png

or adjusting my earbud

Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 5.16.59 PM.png

or giving it my all at the finish line

Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 5.15.12 PM.png

So. Close. Must. Push. Harder.

Those are the photos that tell the real story of the race.

It’s not always smiles and thumbs up – though I do have a couple of those too…

Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 5.15.27 PM.png Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 5.15.42 PM.png

It’s hard work, funny faces, and not giving a care in the world what you look like when you cross that finish line – only that you DO cross that finish line. That’s the most important part after all. :)

Oh, and can we talk about how many photographers were out on that course? Probably the most I’ve seen at any race. I will give kudos to Rock ‘n’ Roll for that much.

And I have to give a shout out to my friend Callie for having the cutest race photo ever.

Screen shot 2012-02-14 at 1.20.21 PM.png

Adorable! I love her smile. And her beanie over her visor. It’s the best. :)

Speaking of Callie (and everyone else who ran St. Pete on Sunday!) here’s a round-up of race day posts from my fellow bloggers who kicked booty in the half. Check them out! :)

If you ran the race please leave a link in the comments and I’ll add it to the post!

What’s the best things you were ‘caught’ doing in a race photo?

1 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 14, 2012 at 3:16 pm

My race photos always look pretty sad! I have never been caught doing anything too strange, but usually I am looking pretty worn down near the end! Lol I guess that means you are giving it your all! If you look great, you could probably be running faster! :-)

2 Lauren February 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I had the exact same fail this morning with that damn avocado!

3 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

oh race photos – yes they are frustrating little things!

4 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete February 14, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I shall call it the “beanisor”. (Half beanie/half visor). Come soon to a running apparel store near you.

5 Courtney February 14, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I tried this over the weekend with success. Try propping the avocado against the wall of the pan you’re cooking it in- or slicing a tiny bit off the bottom to make it lay flat. We also scooped out a little more of the avocado to make all of the egg fit without having it spill over.
It was delicious with some cheese broiled on top (add in the last few minutes) and some salsa!

6 Courtney February 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm

also, we had to cook ours for close to 20 minutes!

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I saw that egg in an avocado from another source and their suggestion was to slice off a small part of the back of the avocado so that it sits flat on the pan while baking. They also said to just put the yolk in not the whites so it fits in the hole better. I think it’s worth another shot! ;)

8 Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Hopefully the Avocado egg works next time because that looks amazing! I love looking through race photos. I wonder if there is a site out there for awkward race photos. It would be hilarious

9 Meghann February 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm

GENUIS idea! Let’s start one!

10 Gia @ rungiarun February 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I have one from ING Miami Half where I am eyes closed hands in the air ROCKIN out to the music on my I pod. LOL! I call it my “dropin it like its hot” photo.

11 Catt February 14, 2012 at 4:21 pm

love reading your blog! i also ran the st pete half and the race photos werent pretty hah. but it was a great experience

12 Laura February 14, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I got caught taking pictures at MCM too!

I’ve been to some races where they have giant smiley face flags up so you know exactly where the photogs are. I hate it when they sneak up on me.

13 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane February 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm

At least you tried! There is an avocado recipe from pinterest that I need to try too. It’s for avocado fries, have you seen it? Anyways, you should attempt the recipe again now that you know what to avoid. It does look like it would be yummy :)

14 Jessica February 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I got caught eating during the Miami Marathon. Lol. I think I saw you cross the finish life at St. Pete you looked strong!

15 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm

You must try the avocado egg concoction again! It really is FANTASTIC. I think we have all had Pinterest fails before.
And, I always look lot a (miserable) hot mess in my running photos so you are leaps and bounds past me!

16 Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter February 14, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Oh man, I feel like I’ve mastered the awkward race photo. There definitely needs to be site dedicated to those.

Congrats on a great race! Seriously, 1:45, you’re a rock star.

17 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 14, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I saw that one on pinterest, it sounded great. But I think in theory all that together with no carb is a little to much for my stomach to handle. I’d rather deconstruct that on some bread!

18 RunEatRepeat February 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I could pretty much get Ben to buy me the world if I figure out how to make an egg in an avocado (his 2 fave foods). THANK YOU.

19 Alexa @ Simple Eats February 14, 2012 at 5:45 pm

That avocado/egg combo looks delicious…and I would totally fail at it. Love the race photos!

20 Tristen February 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Meghann, I was just on Pinterest and I saw an idea for a bacon & avocado grilled cheese….sounded like your kinda sandwich!

21 Kristen @ Random Ramblings February 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm

You aren’t alone in Pinterest fails…. check out this entire (hilarious!) website dedicated to it :)

22 Katie February 14, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I had a pinterest fail today too! I tried to make hard boiled egg hearts in honor of Valentine’s Day (seen here: http://pinterest.com/pin/120612096240016946/ )

FAIL!

23 Wendy February 14, 2012 at 7:32 pm

There another kind of avocado thats about four times bigger and would fit an egg in place of the pit!!!!! The normal size avocado wouldn’t work unless you used a quail’s egg :) hehehe :D

24 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm

The avocado egg combo looks amazing.

I was caught wiping my nose on my shirt sleeve! At least I wasn’t doing a snot rocket!

25 Kim February 14, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Try putting the avocado on a muffin tin so it doesn’t wobble in the oven.

26 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 14, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I saw that on pinterest too!! Haven’t given it a shot yet though…

27 meghan February 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I just posted my race recap! Would love to have it included! And congrats again on your amazing PR!

28 Meghann February 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

Congrats on getting under 2 hours! I’ve added your link up above! :)

29 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 14, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Haha I did have several race photos where my face was SUPER close up in the camera and they were trying to take pictures of the people behind me.

30 Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog February 14, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Ahhh, the first few races I did I was looking MISERABLE. Now I have a pose–big smile, sometimes a thumbs up. But they are uber sneaky, hiding away and snapping when you least expect it!

31 Joss February 14, 2012 at 8:48 pm

ohhh boy the egg/avocado combo is not an appealing one to me :(

32 MrsSwan February 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I like to look at the race photos to people watch. LOL If you try the egg/av again I can’t wait to hear how it turns out!.

33 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm

the egg in the avocado is GORGEOUS. I am definitely trying that one!

34 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I love Pintrest so much to look at, when you try that again let us know, that just looks so good

35 Mary February 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Meghann, your quads, can I have them?! ;)

congrats and amazing job again, girlfriend!

36 Emily February 15, 2012 at 8:25 am

The official race photos are always terrible. My friend Jes and I expected an epic one from our turkey trot as her knee gave out and I practically carried her ovr the finish line, but the photographer was too far away. Boo.

37 Jess-ThatJessGal February 19, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thanks again, Meghann for including kind words about me in this post. I guess we can just keep inspiring each other! I’ll try to do better next time letting you know when I’m coming to the area so maybe we can grab coffee and catch up, instead of trading sweaty hugs on the race course!

It’s taken me a week to finish my full recap on my first half marathon experience, but it’s a much better one that the shortie I was able to toss together earlier in the week. I hope you and everyone else enjoy it!

Have a great week!