more ยป" />

Box of Chocolates

by Meghann on February 13, 2012

Valentine’s Day came early today.

My friends at Stonyfield sent a Happy Valentine’s Day package of chocolate….

chocolate yogurt that is. ;)

I tried Stonyfield’s Chocolate Oikos when the flavor was first released a couple of years and remember enjoying it, but didn’t like how it could only be found at the Whole Foods near me at the time. It’s only in recent weeks that I’ve seen the flavor suddenly popping up at my Publix – smart move Stonyfield.

The Chocolate and Caramel Oikos are only sold in four packs and are a tad on the small side. I bulked up the Chocolate Oikos today with fresh strawberries and walnuts.

The Chocolate Oikos was just as I remembered – a little on the thin side with a strange resemblance to chocolate milk. It reminded me more of melted chocolate ice cream than creamy greek yogurt. It was good, but I wish it was a little thicker. Come to think of it, I think that’s the real reason I never went out of my way to purchase more.

The Chocolate Oikos was a fun mid-day treat, but I think it would be just as easy to make your own at-home version of the chocolate yogurt with plain yogurt and chocolate Hershey syrup. Has anyone tried that? I think I just might! ;)

Dinner tonight was super easy and took just 20 minutes to make.

I started by following the directions on the back of the quinoa package to prepare 3 cups of cooked quinoa. It was one part quinoa, two parts water, and 15 minutes of cook time – done.

While the quinoa cooked on one burner, I used the another to heat up some chopped sausage, garlic, corn, zucchini, and yellow squash.

When the quinoa was done, I added all of it to the veggie pan with two heaping spoonfuls of fresh goat cheese. The goat cheese melted with the quinoa and made a yummy creamy sauce for the dish.

Plated with walnuts on top.

Derek proclaimed it was his favorite dish of the month. I think it was the goat cheese – he’s a sucker for goat cheese.

I thought it was good too. Nice and simple, yet very flavorful.

For dessert I had my last piece of birthday Key Lime Pie.

No plate needed. ;)

And Derek is in bed before. This may be a first.

Good Night!

1 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 13, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Those yogurts are too adorable!! The caramel flavor sounds yummy!

2 Christina February 13, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Dinner looks great! I recently tried quinoa for the first time, and I love it.

Indulge without guilt? Is Stoneyfield implying that indulging in actual chocolate should result in feelings of guilt?

3 Christina February 13, 2012 at 11:03 pm

*Stonyfield :)

4 Christina February 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Any thoughts on this, Meghann?

5 Meghann February 15, 2012 at 8:35 am

I’m sorry – I actually had to think about this one for a minute because I didn’t look for any deeper meaning before the ‘indulge without guilt’ marketing just as I wouldn’t think anymore behind any other ‘no guilt’ marketing that other companies use. I think it’s because I’m so used to seeing that tactic used in society, that it’s almost become ineffective. Do I think that Stonyfield is saying that indulging in actual chocolate should result in feelings of guilt? I honestly don’t. I think they’re just offering another alternative.

6 Shannon February 13, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I had chicken sausage tonight too! Yours looks delish!

7 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 13, 2012 at 11:11 pm

First of all, I’m salivating quite a bit over your quinoa–looks delicious!!
Second of all, I’ve never tried hershey’s syrup in greek yogurt but my latest obsession in to mix plain greek yogurt with cocoa powder and then swirl it with raspberry jam. Fresh raspberries on top would make it even better!

8 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 13, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I bet the chocolate oikos would be really good in smoothies!

9 Army Amy* February 13, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I always my quinoa with equal parts of quinoa and water. I wonder if more water makes ‘em come out fluffier. Or is that just what the directions on the package calls for?*

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 13, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Mmmm key lime pie! Mmmm chocolate greek yogurt! Don’t mind me, I’m just drooling over here… ;)

11 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy February 13, 2012 at 11:45 pm

YUM! That looks like a great dinner. Love squash.

12 Pamm February 14, 2012 at 12:45 am

I was craving chocolate tonite and remembered your thought about yogurt and chocolate syrup so I tried it. I had one of the Chobani chocolate chunk yogurts in the fridge and Hershey’s dark chocolate syrup in the fridge. And the verdict? It was AWESOME! Definitely do it!

Thanks for the tip!

13 Casey @ OatsAndNanners February 14, 2012 at 1:00 am

I LOVE the nutritional value + how easy it is to make quinoa! It’s a staple in my life. Lately, I’ve been loving feta cheese, turkey bacon, and roasted brussel sprouts mixed right into my quinoa!

14 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 14, 2012 at 1:02 am

Chocolate Oikos?! I want :D

15 J February 14, 2012 at 1:31 am

regular greek yogurt with dark cocoa powder and truvia. in a paste. absolutely delicious!

16 Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 14, 2012 at 6:08 am

Melted bittersweet chocolate+Greek yogurt is the way to go. Just trust me on this one.

17 Jena February 14, 2012 at 6:22 am

That dish looks pretty tasty (sometimes I’m not a fan of your odd creations).. I have some quinoa in my pantry just sitting there bc I’m clueless what to do with it. I think that might be a nice & easy dish that I could try.

I’ve never had the stoneyfield greek yogurt. I’ve been trying to stay away from the flavored yogurts & stick w/ the plain ones. My favorite is Fage with bluberries or banana diced up in it. yum!

18 Ash Bear February 14, 2012 at 7:56 am

I have never tried this Stonyfield and was so excited to receive the package this week as well!! I feel like I’m going to wish it was thicker too. Boo!

19 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 14, 2012 at 8:03 am

I love your dinner idea! I really like quinoa and chicken sausages. I’m definitely going to try it :)

20 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 14, 2012 at 8:23 am

I love adding cocoa and stevia to plain yogurt! it’s a current obsession of mine!

21 Erin February 14, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love adding a bit of cocoa powder and almond butter to my greek yogurt for some chocolately flavor. Also that quinoa dish looks delicious! I have never made quinoa with goat cheese, but I will definitely try it after hearing Derek’s review :)

22 Joss February 14, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’m not too fond of chocolate based yogurts :( vanilla all the way!

23 Danielle February 14, 2012 at 10:14 am

I am loving quinoa and goat cheese right now! I even made your pig snout chicken last night but added asparagus in with the goat cheese, they were so, so delicious! Thanks for the idea!

24 Meghann February 14, 2012 at 11:49 am

Ha! I love that you referred to it as my ‘pig snout chicken’ Classic! I also love the asparagus addition – smart thinking!

25 Michelle February 14, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Stonyfield lives literally 5 minutes from my house AND they do an Earth Day 5K! You should come up, run, tour their facility (and get the free stuff at the end) and visit good ol’ NH! :-)