From Pin to Breakfast

by Meghann on February 11, 2012

You can also see:

My breakfast inspiration:

Apple nachos popped up in my Pinterest feed last week. They seemed pretty simple – just apple slices topped with caramel sauce, chocolate chips, and almond slivers. Of course, they’re also meant to be a dessert. When I saw the pin I knew I could easily switch out a few ingredients and make a breakfast version.

Here’s my version:

Fruit Nachos

Apple slices, strawberries, and blueberries topped with a peanut butter yogurt dip (PB2 + Plain Chobani), raisins, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp (would have done granola if we had it in the house).

The results ended up looking like a great big mess, but a yummy mess. I bet with a little food styling and a greater amount of ingredients this would be fun to serve at a children’s party or a brunch. I even ate the apple slices just as I would regular nachos – with my hands.

Yesterday the forecast was calling for rain today, but I woke up to beautiful crystal clear skies. It’s gorgeous outside – I can’t wait to go out and soak it all in.

Even better, the temps are forecasted to drop overnight.

Screen shot 2012-02-11 at 9.43.45 AM.png

Looks like we should expect temps in the 30s at race start tomorrow. :) Sounds good to me!

I hope the sun is shining where ever you are!

Happy Saturday!

1 Marissa Elliot February 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

It seems to me like you have been drastically cutting back calories lately. Is there a reasoning for this? Doesn’t your body require more fuel for all the exercise you do? I am genuinely curious. I don’t work out as much as you and eat a TON more, and I’m thin!

2 Meghann February 11, 2012 at 10:13 am

I don’t feel like I have been drastically cutting back. My breakfast consisted of a fuji apple, strawberries, blueberries, 1/2 cup of yogurt with PB2 (2 or 3 tablespoons?) mixed in, cereal, and raisins. I’d say that is a balanced meal. I’m happy that you eat a ton more than I do and keep thin, unfortunately my body is not the same as yours. I wish it was, but I have to watch what I eat (even when marathon training) to make sure my jeans still fit at the end of the day. I don’t count calories or crazily measure out ingredients – I just eat what fills me up and stop there.

3 Marissa Elliot February 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

Thank you for your response. I definitely understand that everyone’s bodies are different and require different fueling. However, from reading your blog lately it seems like you are not eating enough to fuel for all your training. My reason for making this point is because if you are under-fueling it could lead to injury or even weight-gain. Just something to consider. Your “desserts” and “large snacks” lately have just seemed so tiny! Maybe you are eating more than you picture?

4 Victoria February 12, 2012 at 6:55 pm

She eats plenty and looks amazing!

5 Marty February 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

Love the fruit nacho idea. A little honey over the top…yum! I love PB2 as well. I use it as a mix in with plain Greek yogurt, in oatmeal, even my oat-free oats (which I love to have as post workout breakfast). I may give a variation of this a try tomorrow.

6 Kat February 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

“I even ate the apple slices just as I would regular nachos – with my hands.” – sorry, I may be misinterpreting this… but does this mean you wouldn’t *normally* eat apple slices with your hands?! :O

Your breakfast looks gorgeous by the way and not at all messy! :D

7 Meghann February 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I just meant that since it looked so messy that I thought I was going to eat the apple slices with a fork, but I ended up digging in with my hands. :)

8 Megan February 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

Yum!!! I woke up to below 30 temps in Dallas this morning! Brrr!

9 Sarah February 11, 2012 at 10:31 am

Jealous of your weather! It’s 12 degrees where I am and the sun is soo bright! What a tease..

10 Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not February 11, 2012 at 10:37 am

It’s snowing here! Jealous of your weather and breakfast :)

11 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 11, 2012 at 10:38 am

That is a great idea, oh I love Pinterest! I bet it would be really good to cut the apples in super thin slices like potato chips and serve that way! You could probably get more toppings onto each bite. :-)

12 corey @ learning patience February 11, 2012 at 10:48 am

Fruit nachos are a fun idea….i have done fruit pizza before…so bright and colorful! Good luck on your race tomorrow!
xoxo from Houston

13 Cm @ Lazy Healthy February 11, 2012 at 11:20 am

Looks delicious, but I think the word “Nachos” itself is irretrievably linked to spicy savory foods for me.

14 Army Amy* February 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Anything with the word “nachos” in it gets two thumbs up from me! Looks yummy!*

15 Maureen February 11, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I’ve seen this idea on Pinterest….looks delicious and filling!

16 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete February 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

ahaha. The first commenter cracks me up, because I have not been thinking that at all! And that is why I don’t blog about what I eat every day. You are brave, sista! Constant judgement and ridicule. You handled it will grace as always. ;)

I have some of that PB2 that I haven’t used in a while. Maybe I should break it out for this meal!!

17 megan February 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Those nachos look so yummy!

18 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm

That looks delicious!!

19 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Wow, why have we never thought of that before? So easy and simple! And yes, looks AMAZING!

20 Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog February 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm

That is such a cute idea. I love throwing chocolate chips or sprinkles on breakfast. It makes it pretty and feels like something special!

21 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Cute idea! I love it and my kids would be all over it, too!

22 SaraB February 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Why have I not thought of PB yogurt dip before?! Sounds so good, and I even have it all in the house! Looks like I will be trying that today!

23 Sara@RunningInPinkProject February 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I am brand new on pinterest and Im so stinking confused all of the time on there. :) The fruit nachos looks good though. Thanks for yet another good dining out suggestion. I feel like a total loser writing these down but I literally know nothing about Tampa and Im about to stinking live there. Youre kind of saving me some trial and error. Happy Saturday!

24 Jessica February 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Pinterest is ADDICTIVE! Your breakfast looks yummy!

25 Karen February 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

I love your blog Meg! Keep up the good work and I am loving the wedding planning updates:)

26 Joss February 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm

mmmm your breakfast looks good – I think it would be a great idea for kids! Something fun and finger foods always a plus :) Nothing but lots of snow and cold here I’m afraid :( but enjoy your sunshine!

27 Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny February 12, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I love PB2! That looked like a great breakfast idea!

28 Dana February 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I love the idea of apple nachos for breakfast, great idea! I sometimes make “apple sundaes” by chopping up an apple and adding some choc sauce, pb and granola, etc. but I might need to try out the nacho version….