The Plan for Race Day

by Meghann on February 10, 2012

My last run before the Rock ‘n’ Roll St. Petersburg Half Marathon this weekend is done.

4 miles at goal pace (8:00 min/mi) without any problems.

Do I still think I can maintain that pace for an additional 9 miles on Sunday? Honestly, I’m not sure. I haven’t been following my training plan as carefully as I would have liked and looking back I wish I would have pushed myself a little harder. Still, I’ll be happy with whatever happens. This is my first half marathon that I’ve tried to PR in well over a year, so I’ll be happy with anything.

The plan on Sunday is:

• Get a nice 5 minute warm-up jog before the start to loosen the legs up
  • Not to go out too fast and wear myself out <– I’m so guilty of this!
  • Take advantage of friends who offer to be pacers (Thanks Mary!)
  • Have fun <- most important part

And just in case this race doesn’t go as planned, I may or may not have a back-up.

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 11.16.01 AM.png

I bit the bullet and registered for the Gasparilla Half Marathon on March 4th. This is a great locally run race that I’ve loved running in the past (2009 + 2010) and I knew if I didn’t register for it, that I would regret it. If you are in the Tampa Bay area looking for a good race with lots of energy, I highly recommend it. Three cheers for local races! :)

So if Sunday doesn’t pan out, I have a plan B, which could be good or bad. The good is having the back-up in place and the bad is knowing I have the back-up in place – meaning I could mentally persuade myself to give up that much sooner if it came down to it because I know that race is there.

On that note, let’s add a new goal for Sunday:

• Do NOT mentally give up before my legs give out.

There. That’s better.

Is anyone else running a race this weekend? GOOD LUCK!

Speaking of races… I haven’t forgotten about Flying Pig. I’m working on a training plan for that and fully intend to dive in once Rock ‘n’ Roll is finished. Gasparilla will just be folded into the training. Well, that’s the plan for now.

After my run, I broke out the cereal boxes for breakfast.

• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • Plain Chobani
  • Sprinkle PB2
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Walnuts

A very berry Valentine’s themed breakfast. :)

And, for a little fun, the song that is currently stuck in my head.

(couldn’t find a great YouTube video of the original Toby Keith version of this song, but Glee works too :) )

When we were in Vermont this song was playing at one of the chairlifts and the operator was belting it with the hugest grin on his face as he shoveled snow onto the pathway – it was hilarious. We couldn’t stop laughing or singing it the chair ride up. Thus ‘Red Solo Cup’ became the anthem of the weekend. Or it just became the anthem for the four of us on the chairlift, I’m not sure everyone else really understood our random outbursts of ‘Red Solo Cup.’ ;)

Where was this song when I was in college? We were big fans of ‘Friends in Low Places’ back in the day. After or one or two drinks, we would basically put ‘Friends in Low Places’ on repeat and just sway in a circle, singing it at the top of our lungs, but I think Red Solo Cup would have been even better. Good times.

What was your favorite big group song in college?

1 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 10, 2012 at 10:33 am

I think the classic ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ was the huge song for my friends and I. We played it as the last song at our wedding too and everyone gathered in a circle and sang, so fun! :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Baby Bump

2 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups February 10, 2012 at 10:39 am

Good luck on your race!

3 Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 10, 2012 at 10:46 am

Good luck on your race! The plan looks solid and I’m sure adrenaline will help keep your speed up.
Jen @ Whittle My Middle recently posted..Pizza Night

4 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

Definitely way too much Journey during the college days lol. Good luck on your PR effort!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..A Fooding I Will Go (Part 2)

5 Mary @ food and fun on the run February 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

Woo hoo!! Yay for Gasparilla!! Excited you registered!!

6 Michelle February 10, 2012 at 11:12 am

Oddly enough I was just wondering today if you were racing Gasparilla since it’s in your “hometown.” Yay! It’s SUCH a great race and that medal is kick ass. We need to meet up (I’ll be with Paula, of course). I’m hoping for 1:55 PR. Not sure if I can do it, but I am going to give it all I’ve got!

Good luck this weekend!
Michelle recently posted..3 Things Thursday: Hair, Shoes & Peeta

7 Cait's Plate February 10, 2012 at 11:29 am

Hahah I hear the Toby Keith version of that song EVERY morning on my ride to work. Gets stuck in my head every time without fail!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Bould(er) Move

8 Sarah February 10, 2012 at 11:34 am

Friends in low places is still a good song! Whenever I go to a KC Royals game everyone always gets soo excited when that song comes on
Sarah recently posted..FLOW

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 10, 2012 at 11:35 am

Every time you run a race I’m inspired to get out there and make a plan to run my FIRST…why have I not done this yet? ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Live Fit Phase 1 Recap

10 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane February 10, 2012 at 11:38 am

Good luck this weekend!! I’m running the Donna half Marathon Sunday :) There’s nothing like the anticipation before a race.
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Friday Running Cartoon 02/10/2012

11 Lindsey February 10, 2012 at 11:45 am

I love Gasparilla! I did the 15K in 2010 and attempted the Ultra Challenge last year. It’s usually one of my favorite weekends of the year because I escape the cold Northeast winter, get to run in the sun on a flat course, visit with a good friend (usually force her to run with me), and squeeze in a trip to MLB Spring Training camps. Gasparilla is still one of the most well-organized and fun events out there. The expo is always awesome and we’ve never had a problem with parking or potty lines

12 jena February 10, 2012 at 11:48 am

Good Luck this weekend! I’m in corral 2 (i’ll have a suncoast striders tank on) – I was planning on trying to PR, but my IT band has been acting up all week so I’m not sure what I’m going to do now. I also have a back-up half, just in case. Not gasparilla, but another local race.
jena recently posted..stop it

13 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 10, 2012 at 11:56 am

Good luck this weekend!

I’m doing Gasparilla this year too! I’m doing the Beck’s Light Challenge and I’m not sure how I will feel on Sunday for the half after two races on Saturday, but I am excited. My goal for the weekend is to just survive!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Brick Legs

14 Laurel@Ducks in a Row February 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Good luck on your race!!

15 Cat @Breakfast to Bed February 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm

If I hear red solo cup one more time I am going to recycle toby keith.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..There Just Aren’t Enough Unicorn Recipes.

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Sounds like a great plan to me! BEST of luck!!

17 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run February 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Michelle and I are running Gasparilla. Let’s get together! :-)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..No Love

18 April @ Marathons N Martinis February 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I hope you have a great race on Sunday! Just remember you are strong – you’ve got this!! Can’t wait to hear how it goes.
BTW- happy belated birthday!
April @ Marathons N Martinis recently posted..Sparkly Soul Headband Review & Giveaway

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Good luck! I just heard the red solo cup song (I don’t get out much!) recently and definitely laughed the first time but after a few times now, I can’t help but think how ridiculous the song is!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Puff pastry apple hand pies

20 Christie February 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Good luck for your race! I’m sure you will have a great race – your training has been super speedy lately :)
Christie recently posted..I love this.

21 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Don’t Stop Believin’ and Sweet Caroline (I don’t know why?) were two popular songs when I was in undergrad. Brings back memories :)
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday: Cliff Notes Edition {2-09-2012}

22 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 10, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Is there a particular reason your trying to PR? Just curious because I have my first half on April 1st and my goal is under 1:50:59 so I can make it into a corral for the Chicago Marathon!!! I’m hoping my cousin will help pace me, she’s a well-seasoned runner and already made it into an even better corral!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..3 Mile HIIT Run

23 Meghann February 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I just want to PR because I haven’t attempted a PR since 09! I needed to give myself a new challenge.

24 Stacey February 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm

This is totally dorky, but I dedicated a previous Furry Friday to the Red Solo Cup song! http://www.starpulp.com/2011/12/30/furry-friday-toby-keith-version/

I didn’t know Glee covered that song, so that’s pretty funny.
Stacey recently posted..Furry Friday

25 Kelsey February 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I’m running this weekend too! Super excited, this will be my first half. I’m just ready to have a good time while running!!! Plus, I can’t wait to enjoy the view. Good luck with your PR, I can’t wait to hear your review!

26 Jennifer February 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I’m also registered for RnR and Gasparilla!!!! So excited as this will be my first half marathon! Good luck to you!

27 Sneakers2Sandals February 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Good luck Jennifer!! It’s only my second half this weekend at the RnR – I’m registered for Gasparilla also :)
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..My bad.

28 Charise February 10, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Piano Man and Sweet Caroline were the big bar/frat singalong songs at my college. :)
Charise recently posted..Christmas Party Dessert: Cake Balls

29 Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte February 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Good Luck on your race! I’m registered for the Gasparilla 5+3K (lol – not sure why they’re calling it that instead of 8K but whatever). It’s my first race (!) and I’m hoping my tendonitis is resolved by then so I can run it. I’m glad to hear it’s a well-organized event.

In college a bunch of my GFs and I would always sing Wilson Phillips ‘Hold On’ at the top of our lungs at karaoke…still love that song.

Also, how are the PB cheerios?! I have been wanting to try them but they have kind of a lot of sugar….
Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte recently posted..It was an Oat Bran kind of morning

30 Brittney February 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Red Solo Cup definitely cracks me up! I also remember Friends In Low places being one of the big drinking songs in college at sorority functions. Good times!
Brittney recently posted..Songs to Make You Smile

31 Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 10, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Have an awesome race. Kill it with every last bit you’ve got in your legs.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Recchiuti: Champagne Truffles

32 Turtle-speed runner February 10, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Woohoo, good luck on your race. I bet you’ll do fine!
Turtle-speed runner recently posted..Rum & Raisin Frozen Yoghurt

33 Carissa February 10, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Good luck at the race!

I’m running Gasparilla and I’ll be heading out there by myself so I’d love to see you at the start.

Just a question- how much have your times improved over the time you’ve been running? I just can’t seem to get faster….strong like bull…slow like snail.
Carissa recently posted..Five Things Friday

34 Jessica February 10, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Love Red Solo Cup! Journey was big for my friends and I too.
Jessica recently posted..Wheeze in Training

35 Robin February 11, 2012 at 7:53 am

Thanks for sharing this video. Gave me some energy to get my long run in this morning.
Robin recently posted..What You Didn’t Know About Me

36 Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style February 11, 2012 at 9:56 am

Good luck with the Rock ‘n’ Roll tomorrow…looking forward to your race recap. I’m running in the Donna Half tomorrow and I can’t wait.
Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style recently posted..Fresh Picks to Follow – Tangerine Tango

37 Dina February 11, 2012 at 11:46 am

I’m running Gasparilla too. Really looking forward to it because everyone keeps saying what a great race it is.
Dina recently posted..Funny Friday: Let Me Find Funny Stuff On The Internet So You Don’t Have To