more ยป" />

Morning Miles

by Meghann on February 9, 2012

Good Morning!

The St. Petersburg Half Marathon is just a few days away and I’m winding down my training this week with a few final workouts. Yesterday was my final NROLFW workout before the big day and this morning was my final speed session. I wanted to get a few miles in sub-my goal pace (technically my rainbows and unicorns goal pace) of 8:00 min/mi just to give my body a little bit of a speed shock before Sunday.

My goal: mile repeats – 3×1600 @ 7:45 w/ 2:00 rests

I didn’t have access to the track this morning so I just took off from my house and relied on my Garmin to tell me when a mile was up. My first mile was a little slower than I would like due to the lack of warm-up I gave myself.

Yes, I used to be one of those people who thought the runners doing laps at the start line of races were crazy. We’re about to run XX amount of miles – why tire ourselves out before we have too? Then I realized how important a warm-up is to not only loosening up your muscles to prevent injury, but also to get your legs to a place where they’re ready to take off as soon as the race starts.

My warm-up this morning consisted of walking to the end of the street. If I were really smart – and wanted to make the most out of my work-out – I would have jogged a quarter of a mile or so instead of just going for it. My legs took a while to realize what was going on and my first mile came in at 7:55 after struggling a bit to get my pace where I wanted it in the beginning.

The second mile was better. I overcompensated for my first mile and clocked in at 7:39.

The third mile was even better. At this point I threw my 7:45 ‘goal pace’ out the window and decided it would be fun to just push it. I finished in 7:35.

Negative splits and I finished feeling strong. I’ll take it.

I finished my workout with the Tone It Up Valentine’s Day Circuit.

Source: toneitup.com via Meghann on Pinterest

This was great to do while watching Monday night’s premiere of Smash via the DVR. Did anyone else catch it? What did you think? I’ve been a big fan of Katherine McPhee since her American Idol days and thought she did a great job in the role. I’m interested in how they’ll turn the show’s premise into an entire series though. We’ll see.

Breakfast wasn’t quite as amazing as yesterday’s Key Lime Oats, but it worked. :)

One whole wheat english muffin slathered with honey peanut butter, pumpkin butter, raisins, and walnuts.

Yep, still on my walnut kick. I bought a new container last week and I’m already half way through it. I may have a walnut addiction on my hands – they’re just so good with everything!

1/2 of a fuji apple on the side.

Yes, that’s half. This apple was HUGE.

Time to get this day started.

Have a great Thursday everyone! :)

1 Meg at runridelove.com February 9, 2012 at 9:59 am

Nothing like a good speed workout to start off the day right!

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 9, 2012 at 9:59 am

I’m a Katharine McPhee fan too! I kind of stopped watching American Idol after her season (because I got bored – there are only so many bad auditions I can stand) but I absolutely loved her voice.

3 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep February 9, 2012 at 10:07 am

I LOVE Smash! I can’t wait to see how it unfolds.

4 Eric February 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

I learned in my early days of cross country and track the importance of a good warm up run. Especially right before a race or speed workout. Helps performance and prevents injuries. Good luck in your race this weekend.

5 Josephine February 9, 2012 at 10:48 am

I didn’t like the show! I couldn’t even make it all the way through the episode. I had high hopes too :(

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 9, 2012 at 10:50 am

I always think those people running before races are nuts too! Especially at a long distance race. I’ve got plenty of time to “warm up” during the 13 miles, thank you very much!

7 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 9, 2012 at 10:55 am

I watched Smash and I thought it was very slow moving. Some of the parts with Debra Messing in her home with her family were boring and drawn out. I was excited to see Broadway stars in it, some of which I have met!! :) I think I might give it another try and if I don’t like it after that then I don’t think I’m going to watch.

8 Cait's Plate February 9, 2012 at 10:55 am

That breakfast looks AMAZING.

9 Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 9, 2012 at 11:00 am

For pre-race warm up, I am all for it in shorter races – 5k, 10k. For longer races, like a marathon, I treat the first 10% of it as a warm-up anyway.

Half marathon, I’m not sure about. I usually don’t warm up, but for my next I might do an easy 5-10 because it will be pretty cold.

10 Meghann February 9, 2012 at 11:13 am

Since I’ll be looking to PR, I’m going to do a few minutes just to get my legs moving. If I wasn’t I probably would use the beginning as a warmup as well.

11 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 9, 2012 at 11:24 am

I watched Smash when they released the premiere on iTunes an I loved it!! I’m a huge theater person and find all the inside workings really interesting. I read that what they want to ultimately do is have the show carry the Marilyn musical to opening night (which would be the finale) and then hopefully bring the Marilyn musical to Broadway. Which, if it works, is sort of freaking brilliant!

12 Jaima February 9, 2012 at 11:33 am

Love, love, love Fuji apples. I found a whole big bag of about 12 of them for less than 5 bucks at Walmart….and they were ORGANIC…the only kind I eat. That’s a huge deal compared to Publix. Hope you’re still basking in your birthday glow!

13 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 9, 2012 at 11:35 am

Like I mentioned before, I’m obsessed with walnuts right now too! I never thought of putting them on an english muffin before though. I’ll have to try it!

14 Tracy February 9, 2012 at 11:46 am

I am definitely going to try that toning routine.

Make some pesto with those walnuts!

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Oh that apple looks SO crunchy and delicious….mmmmm

16 Kathy February 9, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Hilarious….I was just thinking ..”That apple looks so juicy and good…I need to go have one”…then I read Annette’s post above and she is talking up the apple too…funny!!

(2 days til my B-day….43 big ones….never too old for plugging it yet again..ha!)
;-)

17 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Don’t you just love the Tone It Up Workouts! I have been doing the Lean Arm Pyramid!

18 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Ahh I love walnuts! They are so delicious and full of healthy fats!

19 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I always thought it was crazy when I saw people running before a race, too. Then I did it and it made a world of difference! A proper warm up is super important if you want to PR. If it’s just for fun, use the first mile for a warm up.

I’ve been craving walnuts, too. Especially in oatmeal and cookies. Mmmm!

20 Cat February 9, 2012 at 2:12 pm

If you don’t want to do a warm-up jog, I’d recommend at least doing some dynamic stretches: butt kickers, leg swings, etc. Check this out for more ideas: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287–13442-0,00.html

Side note: I recall you writing about thinking it was strange that runners were doing lunges at the start of a race and I was like NO! It’s good! But I don’t think I commented. Hope the link helps and that you give dynamic stretches a whirl.

21 Meghann February 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thanks Cat! That does help! :)

22 Mallory @ Have your cake February 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

i watched smash! i have been obsessed w/ katharine since idol (and still have all of her idol performance on my ipod- a little much huh) and was impressed! I think the show will get better as it goes on…..cant wait to tune in next week & see what you think!

23 Laura February 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm

It usually takes me about 3 miles to fully loosen up and feel good. Which is just great for 5ks :).

24 emily February 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I did a speed workout too. 800s with a 400 of recovery for a few miles. Things are looking good for me.