Bacon Wrapped Pinwheels

by Meghann on February 9, 2012

Looking for an easy and delicious dinner?

Three Four words:

• Chicken
  • Goat cheese
  • Bacon

I had all three in my fridge today and was scratching my head on what to do with them for dinner. Stuffed chicken? Chicken and goat cheese salad? Some sort of encrusted chicken?

That’s when I decided to keep it easy. I cut the chicken breasts into tenders and rolled them with goat cheese in the middle and wrapped a slice of bacon on the outside. A toothpick down the center held everything in place.

See? Easy. Took me less than five minutes to make chicken, goat cheese, and bacon pinwheels.

They baked at 375 for 30 minutes.

The end result sort of resembled a pig’s snout.

Or maybe it’s just me. ;)

The stuffed pinwheels were delicious. Bacon really does make everything better, especially if there’s goat cheese is involved. :)

I served my pinwheels on a bed of wilted spinach with baked rutabaga.

Afternoon snack was a mix of nuts and dried fruit.

Dessert was the other half of yesterday’s peanut butter birthday cupcake (had to savor it as long as I could) and a sliver of Key Lime Pie.

Derek’s mother informed me that the Key Lime Pie recipe was courtesy of the Food Network and can be found here. :)

Wedding Page

After hours of making the process way more complicated than it should be, I *think* I have a Wedding Page set up.

WeddingTab.jpg

And by *think* I mean it’s not 100% what I had in mind, but it works for now. :)

Now all wedding themed posts will skip the main page and head straight to the wedding page. They should still appear in Google Reader and all other RSS feeds. If they don’t – let me know.

Thanks to a few Facebook and Twitter friends, the process of setting it up was rather simple. Any Google searches of ‘How do I set up a separate tab of dedicated blogs posts’ resulted in very complicated explanations that involved messing with CSS code and FTP stuff.

It was Gretchen who shared that I first had to download the Ultimate Category Excluder plugin to set the page up.

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 9.32.18 PM.png

The plugin allows you to select a category that will be excluded from the front page.

In my case, that category is Wedding.

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 9.34.18 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 9.33.58 PM.png

Next, a wedding tab had to be created to feed all the posts categorized as ‘Wedding’

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 9.21.34 PM.png

Which got me here.

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 9.20.14 PM.png

Almost, but not quite. The posts were showing up as titles, not as full posts. A little googling and tweeting later, Britney told me (in thesis) to go to Design Options > Display Options > Archives and select Same as your homepage.

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 9.19.22 PM.png

This allows the ‘archived’ posts to show in full length as they appear on the homepage.

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 9.23.25 PM.png

Done. As long as I categorize posts as ‘wedding’ before I hit publish they will be posted directly to the ‘Wedding’ page of the blog and not on the homepage.

Screen shot 2012-02-09 at 9.21.55 PM.png

Wedding page is done.

Here is what I’m not 100% about.

• The posts will still appear in Google Reader as regular posts, which I’m fine with (there’s an option to block the posts from going to RSS feeds at all, but I wouldn’t want that). However, what I would LOVE to have is an option for readers to choose whether they want to subscribe to that particular feed or not.
  • It’s a ‘category tab’ and not a regular page, so I can’t add sub-pages to it, such as a wedding post index. The index would really be for my benefit that others, since it’s a quick reference when finding posts. I already created one here and just filed it under ‘My Favorite Posts’
  • I’m just being picky here, but I would prefer the url be http://mealsandmiles.com/wedding instead of http://mealsandmiles.com/category/wedding Again, that’s being nit picky.

So there you go. A separate page where I can blog my little heart out on all things wedding related and try to lessen the load of wedding mania from the main page. At least that’s the plan. We’ll see how it goes.

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thank you for explaining this! I’ve been wanting to do something like this for a long time ( even went so far to contact people who do blog work but it never panned out for one reason or another) I had no idea there was a plugin b/c like you I had googled my heart out and got tons of complicated search results in return.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Roasted baby eggplants with goat cheese stuffing

2 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 9, 2012 at 10:31 pm

OMG. I want some of these. Right now. lol Fantastic recipe!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Winter Minestrone

3 Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm

That looks like stereotypical man food. Not a bad thing.

Actually, it looks like what I crave for about 36 hours after a really long workout – meat wrapped in meat.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Recchiuti: Champagne Truffles

4 Kath February 9, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Nice tutorial!!

5 Teacher Girl February 9, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Who is your host for your website? I have Blue Host and you can install a separate version of wordpress at the url mealsandmiles.com/wedding and blog from there all you like and link it back to this page pretty easily without messing with FTP or any coding. Not sure about other servers, but it is super easy on Blue Host. Let me know if you need help.
Teacher Girl recently posted..Teaching is Love.

6 Meghann February 9, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I’m with Eleven2. How did you do it through Blue Host?

7 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Like a subdomain right?
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Honey Almond Granola

8 Jessica February 9, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Awesome explanation!

I’m curious…how did you get the screenshots embedded into your post? Is it a plugin?

9 Jessica February 9, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Download “WP No Category Base” at http://wordpresssupplies.com/wordpress-plugins/no-category-base/

That will fix your third bullet point. :)

10 Jessica February 9, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Whoops… that might be an old version. Here’s the latest: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-no-category-base/

11 Teacher Girl February 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I logged in to my Blue Host control panel and then clicked on Simple Scripts which is the installer for WordPress. Then I went to install a new Wordpress blog, and when it asked for the URL, I typed in what I wanted. In your case, the wedding URL. Once you do that it will create a separate blog for your wedding posts. You would have to format it. Decide if you want it to look exactly like the rest of your blog or a different page. The difference is that it will be its own blog so it wouldn’t show up in people’s readers unless they added the URL mealsandmiles.com/wedding. Once you log back into your main meals and miles blog, create a “page” with the same exact URL, mealsandmiles/wedding (leave it blank and have it display in your tabs) and your blog should redirect automatically to the other “site.”
Teacher Girl recently posted..Teaching is Love.

12 Teacher Girl February 9, 2012 at 11:09 pm

*create a page with the same URL mealsandmilea.com/wedding.
Sorry for the typo.
Teacher Girl recently posted..Teaching is Love.

13 Christie February 10, 2012 at 12:11 am

Yum – thanks for the key lime pie recipe link! What a tasty dinner, chicken wrapped in bacon is so good!!
Christie recently posted..I love this.

14 Heidi Nicole February 10, 2012 at 12:43 am

Thanks for the explanation! I’ve seen a few bloggers do this and have been meaning to go a little google crazy to figure it out – I’d like to do this with recipes.

It definitely still shows up in my Reader as a normal post but I think that is fine – in Reader its easier enough to give it a quick click if I’m not interested. And I like having the option to read the post if I have time to kill.
Heidi Nicole recently posted..Powder Day at Vail

15 brandee February 10, 2012 at 1:42 am

Thanks for the easy tutorial! I’ve been trying to do this, but haven’t figured it out yet!

16 Lyka Ricks February 10, 2012 at 5:38 am

I love the bacon rolls plus with a dessert – a beneficial tutorial.
Lyka Ricks recently posted..Benefits of Nexus

17 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

What an interesting dinner! I would definitely like to make it with turkey bacon :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Freaky Friday…

18 Ash Bear February 10, 2012 at 8:13 am

Thanks for sharing both the recipe and the Wordpress tutorial. I may have to try it out for myself tonight!
Ash Bear recently posted..I Heart Induction Cooking Event

19 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane February 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

So excited to read about the wedding planning!!!
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Friday Running Cartoon 02/10/2012

20 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 10, 2012 at 9:06 am

I love your recipe- reminds me of bacon-wrapped scallops, which are one of my husbands favorite things in the world. Hmm… I might have to make these tonight (I already have all of the ingredients)!
Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning recently posted..My Fitness Pal [what I've learned so far]

21 Kathie February 10, 2012 at 9:21 am

Im curious…would this same process work for Blogger? I havent been able to figure it out.

22 Meghann February 10, 2012 at 9:26 am

I think the same theory would apply, but I’m not familiar with blogger at all. These directions are for a wordpress blog using the thesis theme.

23 Kristi February 10, 2012 at 9:38 am

Wow – I had no idea it was that complicated! I’m not a blogger and I would not have guessed that it took that much work…

24 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 10, 2012 at 9:56 am

that rutabaga looks so good! Haha I love that’s the one thing I had to comment on.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..3 Mile HIIT Run

25 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups February 10, 2012 at 10:00 am

Those look delicious! They remind me of a scallop fake-out.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Focus on the positive

26 Joss February 10, 2012 at 7:55 pm

bacon and goat cheese truly do make everything better. Bacon with everything! Yum!

27 Michelle February 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I don’t like goat cheese so I tried the pinwheels with blue cheese, and they were fantastic, quick and easy – perfect with a veggie for a quick dinner! Thanks!