Celebrating 27 Years

by Meghann on February 8, 2012

10yearsofbirhdays.jpg

27birthday.jpg

(oops… blurry self portrait.)

So that’s what 27 looks like? Hmm… could have fooled me.

Today I am 27, but I swear I look in the mirror and still see that 17 year old girl pictured above. And even though I’ve been 21 for over 6 years now *gulp* I still get nervous when someone IDs me, like they’re going to catch me pretending to be an age I’m not. I really can’t be that old. Can I?

But I am.

Old enough to have been out of high school for 9 years, old enough to be out of college for 5, old enough to pay my own bills, old enough to be planning my future wedding, and old enough for my baby brother to be planning his too. Darn it. I’m old.

But in my heart of hearts, I know I’m really not that old. I still have too many dreams to pursue and too much life to live to sell myself short. So yes I’m one year older, but I’ll just attribute that to one year wiser. At 27 I know I can run faster, longer, and harder than that 17 year old, I can cook better than that 20 year old, hold my liquor better than that 21 year old, and am more open to love and forgiveness than that 24 year old.

I’m 27 and – darn it! – I’m proud of it. Happy Birthday to me. Here’s to many, many, many more years of happy memories through this crazy journey that is my life. This is still only the beginning and it’s just going to keep getting better. :)

I kicked off my birthday with a morning gym session. 20 minutes on the treadmill followed by the last workout of NROLFW 6A. I didn’t even realize I was on the last workout until I got there, stage 6 has really flown by.

I was really tempted to have a repeat of the amazing birthday cake pancakes from last year.

Sooooooo good.

But all we had in the pantry was brownie mix.

Fail. I’m sure the brownie mix would have been just as delicious in the cake batter pancakes recipe, but the more I thought about it, the more I really just wanted to make the pancakes because I knew they would look cool on the blog. What I really wanted was leftover Key Lime Pie. On top of oats. With sprinkles.

Not nearly as pretty as the pancakes would have been, but this was exactly what my birthday mouth was craving. Key Lime Pie for breakfast? Still sounds like an excellent birthday meal to me. :)

What’s your ideal birthday breakfast? Birthday cake? Oats? Steak and eggs?

1 Lindsey February 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

Birthday pancakes for sure! With side of Starbucks :)
Lindsey recently posted..Winner & Gelato!

2 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 8, 2012 at 10:02 am

Happy Birthday Meghann! I hope you have the most wonderful birthday today! There is nothing wrong with eating some cake for breakfast especially since it’s your birthday :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Top 10 Wedding Flowers…

3 christine @ BookishlyB February 8, 2012 at 10:05 am

Chocolate chip pancakes and a Diet Coke. Go big or go home.
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Word Vomit/Lack of Focus

4 Sneakers2Sandals February 8, 2012 at 10:07 am

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Definitely like 3 bagels with GLOBS of cream cheese!

5 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run February 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

Happy Birthday! <3

That pic of you at 22 doesn't even look like you! Go forth knowing you have maintained fabulous hair since you were 17. :-)

Oh, and I totally made those birthday cake pancakes the day after you posted it last year. Soooo good. I wanted to put frosting on them.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Things That Make You Go Hmm

6 Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

Key lime pie has milk and fruit in it. Both important parts of breakfast. Happy birthday!

7 Alaina February 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

Happy Birthday Meghann!!! That breakfast looks delicious!! :-)
Alaina recently posted..A Weekday Long Run

8 Haley February 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

Happy Birthday! I have no idea what I’d want but something tasty and sweet for sure!

9 diana@mymarblerye February 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

Happy bday!! Hope it’s fantastic! Next time…skip the oats and just eat the pie!
diana@mymarblerye recently posted..Cacao Blog World…For Now

10 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

happy birthday meghann!!! your pancakes from last year AND this year’s breakfast both sound incredible! way to start off the day right! enjoy your day. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #20: In Honor Of “LOVE Your VEGGIES Month”

11 April @AdventureApril February 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

Happy birthday Meghann! I hope it’s amazing!

Hmmm…my ideal birthday breakfast is fresh chocolate chip cookies and banana and chocolate chip pancakes.

AND? Well, it’s a birthday, right? ;)
April @AdventureApril recently posted..Pastel de Nata and B19

12 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

Happy Birthday Meghann!! I hope you have a lovely day, and that looks like a mighty fine stack of birthday pancakes you’ve got there! I think my ideal breakfast would be lemon poppyseed waffles. Getting hungry thinking about them now!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 94

13 Cara February 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

Happy Birthday Meghann! Your birthday breakfast looks delicious! My ideal birthday breakfast would be some blueberry pancakes, turkey sausage, and a big cup of strong coffee!

14 Poptartyogini February 8, 2012 at 10:16 am

Poptarts of course! But this isn’t about me it is about you. Happy happy birthday. I hope it is a wonderful day and magical year. And speaking from experience, 27 is a perfect age to get married! Almost 4 years later and we are going strong. Enjoy the day!
Poptartyogini recently posted..tuesday: i cry uncle

15 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 8, 2012 at 10:19 am

Happy Birthday!!!! My ideal b-day breakfast is cake. with LOTS of icing. And trust me, haha, you look a little older than your 17 year old self! And I’m 24 and I have that same feeling every time I get IDed. Like they aren’t going to believe me…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–On a Loooooong Day

16 Cate February 8, 2012 at 10:21 am

happy happy birthday Meghann! :)
Cate recently posted..I’m Going to Run a Marathon!

17 Jamie February 8, 2012 at 10:22 am

woe, in that last picture you look like your brother ben!

18 Laurie February 8, 2012 at 10:26 am

Happy Birthday Meghann! Wow you look the same, from 17 on up!!! You have great genes!!! Have a great day!

19 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 8, 2012 at 10:32 am

Happy 27th! I would definitely go with some pancakes for my birthday breakfast, but key lime pie isn’t so bad either! ;-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..No Occasion Needed

20 Meg at runridelove.com February 8, 2012 at 10:38 am

Happy birthday! I know what you mean about the ID’ing (I’m 26, will be 27 in June) and still get ID’ed all the time and feel like they are trying to watch me. But…I’m finally old enough that when people look at the ID and says “Woah, you look young” I just say “THANK YOU!” which didn’t happen until a few months ago. :-) It’s liberating.
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Base Training Week 5

21 Cait's Plate February 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

Happy happy birthday! I’m celebrating 27 years today too! So many people with our birthday!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Twenty Seven.

22 Kathy February 8, 2012 at 10:49 am

27! (Oops I think I read the other post wrong…I should never have called you 28!)

Any way, the breakfast looks great! I would have had some ice cream some thing…any thing really I love ice cream with every thing. Have a great Day!
Kathy recently posted..The "Dog Whisperer" would be proud

23 kirsten February 8, 2012 at 10:55 am

happy bday girl! my 27th was 3 days ago, yay for aquarius! :)

24 Mary @ food and fun on the run February 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love that you have a picture from every bday! Pretty awesome!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Flip Flop

25 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine February 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

Happy birthday Meghann! I love your attitude on birthdays and life in general. :) Wishing you a very happy 27!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Once Upon a Saturday

26 Silvia @ skinny jeans food February 8, 2012 at 10:59 am

happy birthday!

remember, you are now on auto-repeat. 27..27….27 again ;-)
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..The Tale of DinDin

27 Carissa February 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

Oh gosh! That’s a hard one….biscuits and cheddar cheese! I also just realized that I am older than you…wah!

When did you graduate HS? 03?
Carissa recently posted..I dreamed a Chobani winner

28 Meghann February 8, 2012 at 11:06 am

Class of ’03!

29 Maria February 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

Happy birthday Meghann! QUESTION: Can you explain how you do your hair like in your “27″ photo above (where you are holding the orange flower bowl and it is long and wavy)? My hair is thick and textured like yours, but the only thing I can do with it right now is straighten it. I would love if you could explain your relaxed/loose waves look! Thanks :)

30 Meghann February 8, 2012 at 11:08 am

It’s just air dried with mousse added while it was wet. Nothing special. I have my good days and my bad days with it, I wish I had the secret to make them all good days! :)

31 Maria February 8, 2012 at 11:10 am

Thanks! Do you have a favorite mousse? (I really am clueless…)

32 Meghann February 8, 2012 at 11:13 am

Herbal Essence Totally Twisted (it’s in a purple can!) :)

33 katie February 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

Happy Birthday girl! Cheers to 27 years! Your first birthday as a engaged woman too! <3

Love that you put a candle in your birthday breakfast! Candles are so important to me on birthdays, I make sure that Mike has birthday candles to blow out and Anthony too, even if Mike doesn't want cake! Last year I put a candle in his breakfast sandwich!

Happy Birthday!
katie recently posted..What I learned Wednesday

34 Casey @ oatsandnanners February 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MEGHANN! I can usually justify dessert for breakfast almost any day of the week but Birthday Breakfasts are a legitimate reason :) You look amazing – you are amazing – and you deserve a wonderful birthday! Go big or go home ;)
Casey @ oatsandnanners recently posted..Seared Turkey Breast with Mushroom and Green Chili Gravy

35 Bri February 8, 2012 at 11:07 am

We’re birthday twins :) (I am turning 26 though.) That’s cool that you are so into your birthday. I hate drawing attention to myself in general, but especially on my birthday. My friends and family go all out just because they know how embarrassed I’ll be. Now it is actually a birth “month” celebration. So embarrassing.

36 emily February 8, 2012 at 11:09 am

Happy birthday! To you both! :) Do you think about being a twin more on your birthday, or is just a general fact of life?
emily recently posted..Tropical Tapioca Panacea

37 Meghann February 8, 2012 at 11:12 am

Just a general fact of life – I don’t know any different. Josh is actually catching a red eye back home tonight!

38 emily February 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

Oh yay, that’s great that you guys can celebrate together! P.S. key lime pie on oatmeal is genius. You need to try it in Greek yogurt next; I swear to God, it’s actually better than plain key lime pie!
emily recently posted..Tropical Tapioca Panacea

39 Meghann February 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

That thought crossed my mind too! Afternoon snack? don’t mind if I do. ;)

40 Beverly Aragon February 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

Happy birthday, beautiful Meghann!

41 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 8, 2012 at 11:22 am

Birthday pancakes are where it’s at! I made some for mine (wwayyy back in June) and it was the perfect start to my bday. Happy birthday!! Hope you have a great day :D
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Coconut Brown Rice with Brussels Sprouts

42 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It February 8, 2012 at 11:25 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGHANN!!!!! HAVE A GREAT DAY!

43 deva at deva by definition February 8, 2012 at 11:31 am

Happy Birthday!

My favorite birthday breakfast is an egg bagel with cream cheese and lox!
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Vlogging Half Marathon Training: Week Five

44 Krystina February 8, 2012 at 11:37 am

Shouldn’t you make mention of the fact that it’s your twin brother’s birthday, too? I know he isn’t nearly as talked about as Kelly or Ben, but still.

Either way, Happy Birthday!

45 Meghann February 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

haha – I think only a fellow twin would understand the power of that comment. ;) Yes, it’s his birthday too and he’s taking a red-eye home tonight so I’ll get to see him soon.

46 Krystina February 8, 2012 at 11:43 am

Enjoy your time together :)

47 colleens February 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

Happy Birthday Meghann! As you get older, each year is just a number. It is how you feel that counts. To me, I may be going on 36, but I feel much younger. Enjoy your day. No special birthday breakfast tradition here – unless you count a good cup of coffee.

48 AlisonJ February 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

I usually eat cake for breakfast on my birthday. The classic yellow cake with chocolate frosting. My absolute favorite!!

49 Cm @ Lazy Healthy February 8, 2012 at 11:48 am

My ideal birthday breakfast is… anything with mimosas.
Cm @ Lazy Healthy recently posted..Salmon Burrito Rx

50 Jamie February 8, 2012 at 11:53 am

I guess I am in the minority but I don’t like sweet breakfasts. I would probably say either eggs benedict or a spinach florentine bagel with lox

51 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Happy birthday!!! Have a great day :D

52 Racheal @ Running with Racheal February 8, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Happy Birthday!

Perfect breakfast for me would be cake and ice cream, and then again for lunch, and then again for dinner! :)
Racheal @ Running with Racheal recently posted..What’s your workout jam? + iTunes gift card giveaway!!!

53 Mac February 8, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Happy birthday! Those birthday pancakes do look great!!

54 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 8, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Happy Birthday!!

Key lime pie for breakfast HAS to be the best birthday breakfast ever :)

Have a great day!

55 MaryBe@Accidentally-Vegan February 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Happy Birthday! I turn 51 next week so 27 seems like a baby age to me :D
PS You’ve never looked better!

56 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Happy Birthday! I always get nervous when I’m ID’ed, too! I think it’s because the older I get, I usually hesitate when I give my age because I honestly have to think about it, so it seems sketchy hahaha. You’re looking fab at 27!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..A Fooding I Will Go (Part 1)

57 Liz February 8, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Happy birthday! I love the photo collage and your reflections on how you’ve changed over time. I hope you have a great day!
Liz recently posted..A New Way To Celebrate Valentine’s Day

58 Caroline February 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It looks like you started the day off wonderfully:) I still feel a little nervous when I get ID’ed too, although I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s because I don’t feel as old as I am?
Caroline recently posted..Half Marathon Training Week 5 Recap

59 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 8, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Happy Birthday!! You look beautiful!

I’d want waffles and fruit for a b-day b-fast. YUMM
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..How To Run A 5K

60 Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Happy Happy Birthday!!!! I’d want birthday cake pancakes!

61 Margo February 8, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Happy Birthday! Love the oats/pie combo! Sounds like the perfect birthday breakfast!

62 Jane February 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm

You are not the center of the universe, despite today being your birthday. I find this post (and the 5 jillion “its my birthday soooooon” posts) to be outrageously self centered. Celebrating as a child is one thing, but you are now a 27 year old woman. Grow up, get a real job and learn to live in the real world.

63 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep February 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I wish someone would just post their blog, real name, and email address when they make outrageously rude comments on someone’s blog. What’s the payoff for being so incredibly immature?

64 Courtney February 8, 2012 at 3:34 pm

It must be really hard to be such a bitter, jealous, and unhappy person. There isn’t anything wrong with celebrating life! Maybe you should try it, there is plenty to celebrate in the “real world”.

Happy Birthday Meghann!!!

65 Hillary February 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I have to say, I definitely CANNOT hold my liquor better than when I was 21 ; )

Happy birthday!!
Hillary recently posted..Carrot Cake Cookies With Cream Cheese Frosting

66 Heather February 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Happy Birthday! 27 was a HUGE turning point year for me and I hope it’s something special for you too!

p.s. Started NROLFW last week and I love it. 3 workouts in and I feel STRONG!

67 Katy Widrick February 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm

A *very* happy birthday, friend!
Katy Widrick recently posted..You Oughta Know: Adding and Deleting Image Links

68 Dori February 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Happy birthday! Can’t believe it’s been 2 years since we met!
Dori recently posted..A Topic I Never Thought I’d Blog About: The Superbowl

69 Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies February 8, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Happy Birthday! Getting older is weird because you don’t really feel as old as the age once sounded. =) My favorite birthday breakfast, hmmm..that’s a hard one. Probably something fun like chocolate chip pancakes or stuffed muffins. :)
Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – California-Style!

70 Anne P February 8, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Happy birthday, my dear! I hope it’s a fabulous one. :) xo
Anne P recently posted..Walleyball: Making Exercise Fun!

71 Reenie February 8, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Happy Birthday Meghann and Josh!! Enjoy your day!

72 Amanda - RunToTheFinish February 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm

yeahh happy birthday!! i love that so many of us are proving that life just gets better each year!
Amanda – RunToTheFinish recently posted..Appreciation Challenge: Guilt

73 dee February 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm

happy birthday!

74 Leanne @ The Skinny Architect February 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Happy Birthday!! It’s funny that you say you’ve been out of college for 5 years, because, well, so have I. It doesn’t feel like it though. I’ll be 27 in July, which feels real, but really, 5 years out of college? Where has that time gone??
Leanne @ The Skinny Architect recently posted..WIAW: Italian Night

75 Elizabeth February 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Happy Birthday!! Have a great day!!!

76 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 8, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Happy Birthday! I hope you fill your day with rest, relaxation and a lot of fun and delicious food. Don’t forget the cake! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // Vegan Banana Oatmeal Trail Mix Cookies

77 Kristen February 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Happy Birthday! Love your new lunch bag :)

78 Catherine Russell February 8, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Happy Birthday, Meghann!! Thank you for being a Daily Inspiration to me! Your posts are ALWAYS positive, fun, & energetic!! I hope your day Is filled with a lot of fun & celebrations of you! :)

79 Kassidy February 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Happy birthday!

80 Emily February 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Oh man, disappointed about the no pancakes, but if you enjoyed your oats-n-pie, then I am happy for you! :)
Emily recently posted..How does one find the time?

81 erica February 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm

can i just say, i love your long curly hair at age 22?!?!
erica recently posted..13 again

82 Caitlin February 8, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Happy Birthday!!!

83 Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte February 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Happy Birthday, I hope you have an awesome day! I really need to start celebrating my birthday with key lime pie on top of oatmeal, man that sounds good! Either that or sweet potato pancakes drizzled with cream cheese glaze from Datz in Tampa.
Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte recently posted..Protein Oatmeal Bowl

84 Kelly February 8, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Happy birthday Meghann!!! Have a great one and be sure to celebrate it to the fullest despite any commenter saying birthdays are only for kids! Everyday is a celebration and your birthday is very special!! :)

85 Lynn February 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Happy Birthday! I am turning 27 on Friday so looking at your reflection was very meaningful for me. Hope you hae a great day and your fiance spoils you. I am also working on NROLFW and loving every work-out and planning a wedding, so much to be excited about in our 27th (or is it 28th) years.

86 Katie February 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Happy 27th, Meghann! Sounds like this is going to be a very special year for you.

87 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 8, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Happy Birthday! It looks like you are aging beautifully! :)

Red Velvet Pancakes would be a great birthday breakfast to me!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..We Can Work It Out

88 Sarah @ The Strength of Faith February 8, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Happy Birthday! I turn 27 on Sunday – doesn’t look half bad. :)
Sarah @ The Strength of Faith recently posted..Help Me Uncle Sam

89 Val February 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Happy Birthday!! Don’t worry about other people’s comments.. I know it’s easier said than done, but just remember that usually comments like those stem from each individual’s insecurities. You have inspired so many people through this blog and you deserve to celebrate your bday however you wish to :) sidenote- I never knew about overnight oats before this blog… you’ve sooo enriched my life lol

90 Val February 8, 2012 at 9:49 pm

oops! this was meant as a reply to your next post. either way, happy bday!!

91 Kath February 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Happppy Birthday!!!

I told one of our employees today I’m almost 30 and he said I didn’t look a day over 22 because I’m so cool. The flatterer!
Kath recently posted..And Cheese!

92 Joss February 8, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Happy birthday! Key lime pie seems like a fine choice to me.
I would have to go with a full english fry up for mine :D
Joss recently posted..It Must Be Near That Time…

93 Jess February 9, 2012 at 12:36 am

Birthday pancakes? Yes, please! I didn’t even have breakfast on my last birthday! I was too busy xmas shopping, picking up my graduation gear (graduated 2 days later) and organising my graduation party. I love birthdays, but this year the graduation took over as the main event. I was bummed that no one even sung me happy birthday tho!

94 Elisabeth February 9, 2012 at 2:09 am

Happy 27th, Meghann! I love the pic from NYC :) I will be turning 30 in 3 months & am so NOT ready to be that old – ha!

95 Marie February 11, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Happy belated birthday! ;) This year is gonna be a blast with all the upcoming events in your life! Can’t wait to follow along! Love your blog!!! BTW, I know you’re growing out your hair to donate, which I think is awesome! Will you wait until after the wedding for the hairdo? ;)

96 Meghann February 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I’m still thinking about this one! I was all excited to cut my hair off in March, but now I’m thinking about waiting it out until after the wedding next January.