Burn, Baby, Burn

by Meghann on February 7, 2012

Ouch. They burn! They burn! My abs burn!

Have you been participating in the Tone It Up Toned in ’12 challenge? I haven’t, but I saw their Toned in ’12 Abs Circuit floating around Pinterest and after hearing Britney rave about the workout I decided to give it a shot.

Source: toneitup.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Ideally you’re suppose to repeat the circuit 6 times and follow up with your ‘fastest mile ever.’ One set in, I was already feeling the burn. Three sets in, I had to call uncle and take an extended break. Five minutes later I went back for part II and was cursing the Tone It Up girls for deciding 6 was the magic number of sets. Man, that burned.

I tried the ab circuit after my 5 mile run, so I didn’t take off for a mile after the circuit, but I can see how that could have added to the challenge. I need to find a way to build this circuit (and variations of this circuit) into my weekly routine. Hurt. So. Good.

My run before the ab circuit was just ok. I’m currently in the ‘I’m so not ready for this race on Sunday’ panic mode, but I’m trying not to let it get the best of me. What happens, will happen and I’ll just have to re-evaluate and move on from there.

Breakfast was the return to an old classic.

Why, hello cereal. Long time no see.

In the mix:

1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp

1/2 cup Cinnamon Life Cereal

Plain Chobani

Strawberries

Blueberries

Walnuts

Nothing out of the ordinary, but that didn’t stop it from being delicious. My walnut kick and still going steady and holding strong.

What’s the best circuit workout you’ve discovered lately via the web? Please share!

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 7, 2012 at 8:40 am

I’ve been doing a bunch of circuit workouts lately and I always start thinking “oh, 3 or 4 rounds doesn’t sound so bad” and then by round 2 I’m dying and usually cut it short by 1. Circuits are NOT easy! I might give this one a shot today. Although, I’m sure I’ll be taking a break like you did!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Grownup hamburger helper mac n cheese

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 7, 2012 at 8:40 am

I love the burning abs feeling! I haven’t done any circuit workouts that I’ve found online recently, but there are a few good ones kicking around on Pinterest that I’ve been meaning to try. I did kettlebell windmills in the gym this morning and those hit my abs every time! :)
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Food from Home: Shish Tawook

3 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 7, 2012 at 8:41 am

I always look for an circuits like that one. Usually I can only do half of the suggested sets, but I love having a goal to work toward. The tone it up girls have a lot of great work outs and strength builders!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Ch Ch Ch CHIA

4 Jenna H February 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

Just wanted to let you know that Style Me Pretty Posted a wedding at Birdsong today! Very rustic chic :).

5 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 7, 2012 at 9:37 am

I’m definitely on a walnut kick too! They just taste so good with yogurt.

I’ve honestly never done a circuit workout (I have a really weak core) but am curious what people suggest. I would love to start adding more variety to my workouts!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..French Toast Oatmeal

6 jena February 7, 2012 at 9:44 am

6 sets? I’m pretty sure I would have died at 3! I’ve been “trying” to incorporate some abs into my life .. I have a hard time working other things in when I’m focused on running.

The weather is supposed to be decent this weekend. I have a number in my head that I would like to achieve on Sunday – but i’m scared to say it outloud!

Do you have any other halfs on your schedule this season?
jena recently posted..can’t win them all

7 Meghann February 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’m doing Gasparilla on March 5th!

8 jena February 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Oh! I’m doing the 15k. There is a half on March 18th in Ft.Desoto . Florida beach Halfathon. Small race (1000 people maybe). I’ve run 3 halfs there. I’m definitely looking to PR on that course .. We’ll see how this wknd goes before I think about what time I want at Florida Beach.

Good Luck Sunday!
jena recently posted..can’t win them all

9 Meg at runridelove.com February 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

Wow…that looks intense. I dunno if my abs would put it with that! But i’m very interested to give it a try now…
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..USAC officals!

10 Poptartyogini February 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

Oh my goodness my abs are burning just looking at the demonstration. Ab work makes me sad but I do I anyways
Poptartyogini recently posted..failure: make up challenge

11 Cait's Plate February 7, 2012 at 10:02 am

I don’t do nearly enough exercise discovering on the web. I really should change that, it’s so much cheaper than buying a DVD or taking a class! I’ve followed a couple Self workouts in the past that I’ve liked though!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Classic.

12 Stacey @starpulp February 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

I’m totally going to have to try this circuit! I think p90x abs is a great workout. Talk about a burn. Oohh!
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Be (h)app(y) with Florida 511

13 Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner February 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

I don’t think I’ve ever done a circuit workout (at least in the last few years) but this one looks interesting. I’m def going to try it out tonight – hopefully I can make it to 6 sets! Do you know how often you’re supposed to do it per week?
Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner recently posted..Welcome back to running!

14 Meghann February 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm

It’s doesn’t really day, but they do provide a calendar where they mix in the circuit workout into their over all plan http://toneitup.com/blog.php?Tone-It-Up-Tuesday-Challenge-13-is-your-New-Abs-Circuit-Printable-5358

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 7, 2012 at 10:37 am

I love circuit style workouts–and this one looks awesome!

I was going to use similar moves while teaching Pilates/Core class today-Wahoo!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..BodyPUMP AIM 1 Review

16 Melanie February 7, 2012 at 10:45 am

Hi Meghann! I’m sure you already saw it but Birdsong is on Style Me Pretty this morning!

So pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 jane February 7, 2012 at 10:59 am

not sure if you read this blog, but someone just got married at Birdsong in Titusville!

18 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 7, 2012 at 11:05 am

SIX TIMES!?!? Haha I was looking over it and thought, I could probably do that! and then you said six times! Maybe that’s something I’ll build up to!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..NROLFW–Stage 2 Recap

19 Cat @Breakfast to Bed February 7, 2012 at 11:20 am

I’ve been loving Tina Reale’s fitness tips and circuits!! She’s becoming a GREAT PT. Plus, I love that in so many of her pics, her kid’s toys are in the background-precisely how I work out. toys. everywhere.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The Gift Best Given To Yourself. Alone.

20 Megan February 7, 2012 at 11:24 am

I have been needing a new ab workout…perfect timing with this post!
Megan recently posted..Great Harvest Bread…My Long Lost Love!

21 Olivia February 7, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I LOVE Cinnamon Life. I bought plain Shreddies the other day and am like, why not Cinnamon Life?! Haha
Olivia recently posted..Not the Best

22 Lauren February 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm

That ab circuit looks awesome! I’ve been doing a similar workout for the past couple months, and I must say that the results have been very impressive. My stomach is naturally pretty flat, but try as I might, I’ve never been able to achieve a six-pack. Well, I’m getting there! (And believe me, I’ve never come close). If this Toned Up workout is anything like mine – and it looks like it – you’ll be very pleased with the outcome! (That being said, it does hurt like a bitch. It *sort of* gets easier over time!)

23 Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog February 7, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I’ve been searching for an abs routine for a while now! Core is more what I need – so planks are PERFECT. :)
Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog recently posted..Thought-provoking breakfast

24 Brittany February 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Love this ab workout! I even got Isaac to do it with me this past weekend and he was in pain too. It’s fun to have someone to commiserate with. :)
Brittany recently posted..Winning Chili and New Flavors of Chobani

25 Emily February 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm

that ab workout looks pretty good. I might be trying it soon!
Emily recently posted..Happy Monday, Post-Football

26 Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte February 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hi Meghann, I just found your blog while looking for other bloggers in/around Tampa, Florida. I moved to Tampa last summer and I blog about food, fitness and healthy living too! Just wondering if you know of any blogger meet-ups or actually any meet-ups for health-minded people in the area. I’d love to hear from you!
Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte recently posted..Turkey and Black Bean Taco Cups

27 Meghann February 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm

There’s one coming up on Saturday in St. Pete. Check out http://vtbrunssav.blogspot.com/2012/01/rnr-st-pete-blogger-meet-up-and-don.html for more details!

28 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

The ab workout looks killer. I’m going to give it a try, but maybe start at a lower number of reps. Six times? Crazy! I’m glad you made it out alive.
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..My (Zero) Treadmill Attention Span

29 jamie@everydaydolce February 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I am still on the hunt for a good circuit workout…I need to step it up in the weight lifting department, I’ve let myself go and lost motivation to pump any iron, lol!

30 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I love the Tone It Up workouts, I’m on a Lean Leg Pyramid kick right now, I cheated when I did this ab workout, I skipped the fastest mile part, so I can’t really say I completed it.
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Super Foods

31 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs February 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Yikes, my abs hurt just reading this workout… I think I’ll give it a go tomorrow!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Monday, Monday

32 Army Amy* February 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm

My abs hurt just looking at the circuit!*
Army Amy* recently posted..How I Met Mike Modano’s Mother

33 Marie February 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I love the BodyRock workouts. My body is always burning in different spots due to the varying workouts. Plus, I love seeing how much stronger/faster I can progress.

34 Alina February 14, 2012 at 4:23 pm

hello! Just a little question! :D
When you put in the plain chobani, do you put the whole container?

35 Meghann February 15, 2012 at 10:33 am

I just add a few spoonfuls from the larger container :)