Ice, Ice, Ice

by Meghann on February 3, 2012

Aww… Vermont. You’re so easy to get to, you’re so beautiful to travel through, and you’re so cheap to ski, but these icy mountains? Le sigh. Today was just not your day.

Or maybe it just wasn’t my day.

I was rusty on my turns and the ice wasn’t helping. There was one fall that left me with a bruised hip and a bruised ego. There was ice, ice, ice everywhere. We need new snow on this mountain – stat!

IMG_6791.JPG IMG_6792.JPG

If you took away the ice, today was gorgeous. Bright blue skies, light crowds, and a whole mountain of trails. Love it.

Derek and I were on our own for the majority of the morning. We took it easy and tried to get our ski legs back.

Getting our ski legs meant falling on our sides. NBD

Do you know the best part about skiing?

The mid-day mid-mountain beer. Sam Adam’s tastes so much better in the mountains.

A few of us arrived at lunch a little early and started off with a bunch of appetizers.

I was starving and immediately dug into the veggies and hummus

And split a mini sausage with Derek.

I wanted chili, but the waffle fries on the table around me looked amazing. I debated ordering a sandwich just for the fries, but requesting them as a side to what I actually wanted made much more sense. πŸ™‚

The weather got a little chilly for our afternoon runs, but luckily we had friends with us this time. Melissa and Frank claimed to be novices, but they were kicking our booties on the mountain.

IMG_6824.JPG IMG_6825.JPG

I lasted until 3:30 and called uncle. Bar time.

Luckily, I wasn’t the only one who had that idea. πŸ˜‰

TIme to party it up in the mountains.

Don’t wait up! πŸ˜‰

1 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 3, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I’m not a beer drinker, but it is ALWAYS freakin delicious in the mountains when you’re on the slopes. Drink up and party hard, then you won’t notice the pain from the falls πŸ˜‰

2 Jenna February 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I recently moved to VT – from Philadelphia. I am about 15 minutes from Stratton, but have zero experience skiing. Yes be careful on the ice, my driveway could currently double as an ice skating rink!

3 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 3, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I love ski vacations! However, I’ve never been one to enjoy a brew while skiing. I have to wait till I’m done for the day or I would be in a full body cast! Have fun tonight!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..How To Win Back Cooper

4 Megan February 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Oh no! A bruised hip doesn’t sound fun!! Totally would have turned those into chili waffle fries!
Megan recently posted..Friday Poll Day: Favorite Childhood Candy

5 Olivia February 3, 2012 at 7:58 pm

That chili looks so amazing. I haven’t made any in about a month, and everytime I see other people post it, I am like DAMNNNN I gotta make some.

PS while in Vermont you guys should go to the Ben & Jerry’s factory!
Olivia recently posted..My Man Hates Costco

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 3, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Haha everything is better in the mountains!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Incline Workout & Big News

7 Sarah February 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yeah, it’s not our winter in Vermont this year. Although, I’m training for the marathon in May and don’t mind the snowless sidewalks! And you lucked out with that gorgeous blue sky!

Vermont has an awesome local beer community. You should try one of the local beers, like Long Trail, Switchback, Hill Farmstead, Lawsons, Trout River, or Otter Creek.
Sarah recently posted..A sweet week at work.

8 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs February 3, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I looooooooooove Sam Adams — I bet it tastes even better after skiing!
Have a great weekend! Be careful on the ice! πŸ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Friday!

9 Chelsea February 3, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Have you seen the movie Frozen? If not don’t watch it until you get back from your trip haha! But it reminds me of the location you’re at now. It made me scarrrred to go on a ski lift for sure!

10 Joss February 3, 2012 at 9:27 pm

mmm that chilli looks amazing ..and it’s always beer time in my books πŸ˜€

11 Christina @ Heels and Meals February 3, 2012 at 10:43 pm

The scenery looks gorgeous! Hope yall have a great time πŸ™‚

your title to this post has Vanilla Ice running through my head.
Christina @ Heels and Meals recently posted..I’m thirsty anyway..

12 Cait's Plate February 3, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Gah! SOOOO jealous!! Glad you’re having such a blast!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Sometimes It’s Nice

13 Amy February 4, 2012 at 8:35 am

I went to Stratton last weekend and found the mid mountain runs much more enjoyable go up American express and hit up some of the blues near the mid mountain food place

14 Natalie @ Adventures in Jackson February 4, 2012 at 9:38 am

I live in Jackon Hole! And you’re totally right, I’m a beginning skier and it has been kinda crazy learning to ski on such a steep mountain! I’m so glad you’re having fun! Shred the gnar honey!
Natalie @ Adventures in Jackson recently posted..Shredding the Gnar

15 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 4, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I skied in VT today and struggled with the ice as well. Don’t worry, you’re not alone!!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..New feature: FeelGood friday!

16 emily February 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’ve never had a mountain beer before. Might have to try that sometime…
emily recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 5 in review