In New York

by Meghann on February 2, 2012

We’re here!

Derek and I landed safe and sound in New York City just after lunchtime this afternoon.

The flight was smooth and uneventful.

I really need to fly JetBlue more often. I always forget about their extra little perks, like:

Free in-flight DirectTV

Full cans of soda (instead of just giving you a cup)

A variety of complimentary snacks

And a free checked bag.

All that’s missing is free in-flight WiFi and I’d be all set to never fly another airline again. πŸ™‚

I also nibbled on a homemade mix of nuts and dried fruit in the air.

This is my third year in a row coming to NYC in February.

Back in 2010, I flew to NYC for an event with Electrolux and brought my mom and my twin brother to celebrate our 25th birthday.

A forecasted ‘storm of the century’ came in the night before we were suppose to leave and canceled all the flights for the next day. My mom and I ended up being stuck in the city for 3 extra days, but made the most of it by exploring the city covered in white.

New York City – February 2010

Last year Ashley and Bo invited Derek and I on their annual ski trip to Stratton Mountain in Vermont. We decided to fly in a day early to explore the city and celebrate my birthday.

Central Park was just as white as the last time I saw it and it was so cold that Derek and I had to duck into stores every so often to seek warmth. Brrrr…

This year we’re here a little early (a week before my birthday instead of the day after), but we’re following the same format as last year – fly into NYC a day early before leaving to go skiing in the mountains. We love NYC and wanted to sneak in as much time as we could here.

However, there’s something a little different about this trip, compared to the last two.

See that? No jacket!

It was 63 degrees when we landed. How crazy is that?! It actually felt a little warm walking around, it was like spring – not the dead of winter. Not what I was expecting, but I’ll take it! πŸ™‚

Derek and I were starving right when we landed and immediately headed to the first place we could find that had food.

Friend of a Farmer had decent reviews on Yelp and I liked the name – sold!

The restaurant was cute and cozy inside – set up to resemble an old farmhouse.

The menu wasn’t anything special – basic sandwiches and salads – but the execution was pretty amazing. Derek ordered the cobb salad and I ordered the chicken club and we split the two.

The homemade honey wheat bread used for the chicken club was really thick and hearty. It could have easily been overpowering, but I thought it worked well with the flavorful bacon and sharp cheddar on the chicken.

After lunch we did a little exploring. That exploring just happened to include a little excursion to the Momofuku Milk Bar.

IMG_6875.jpg

I’ve been to NYC several times in the last couple of years and each time I’ve been here, I’ve had at least one person (sometimes a dozen) tell me I need to try the compost cookies at Momofuku.

So I did and it was incredible. A cookie full of everything? What’s not to love?

I also had a latte for a little burst of caffeine.

Many thanks to all the suggestions for ‘guy friendly’ restaurants in NYC. I ended up making a reservation for Derek and I at Rare in Chelsea.

I was told they have the city’s best burgers and Derek was sold on the place as soon as I sent him the link to the menu. All he had to see was decently priced burgers and he was sold.

We split an order of sweet potato fries, which were a tad stringy for my taste – I prefer my fries cut thicker.

Dipped in their famous dipping sauces. (I stuck with good ole fashion ketchup)

And I couldn’t go to a burger joint without getting burger.

Medium-rare with smoked cheddar cheese – one of the rare instances where I thought the cheese really made the burger. Yum. The burger was also the perfect size – I cleaned my plate.

Derek cleaned his too. He was a very happy boy. He was even happier when our bill was under $30. It really doesn’t take much to please him and that’s why I love him. πŸ™‚

We made our way back to Ashley and Bo’s to be greeted by this smiling face.

Yay! Ashley!

A dance party via the XBox Kinect immediately pursued. Obviously.

And now I want an Xbox.

And a Kinect.

And Dance Central.

Oh, but I want to pay for my wedding too.

Dratz. Oh,well.

Ashley has a long run planned for us in the morning – can’t wait!

Good Night!

1 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 2, 2012 at 12:21 am

That milk bar is just about the cutest idea I’ve seen of late. Enjoy NYC!
Casey @ Insatiably Healthy recently posted..Mango Avocado Jalepeno Nachos

2 Chelsea February 2, 2012 at 4:43 am

I now have a growling tummy thanks to this post lol!
Chelsea recently posted..oatmealista:

WHOA.
STOP.
WAIT.
YOU FOLLOW ME?
OH MY GOD YOU ARE…

3 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 2, 2012 at 6:09 am

The weather is crazy right now in the Northeast! The Compost cookie looks awesome! I love bits of everything in a cookie!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Stretching Basics For Runners

4 Whitney N February 2, 2012 at 6:47 am

“Are you taking video?”
“No.”

I laughed so hard. Awesome.

5 jana @ newly wife healthy life February 2, 2012 at 6:59 am

Looks like you’re having a great time Meghann, and you are definitely lucking out with the weather! It’s just like that where I live too, it feels so weird that it’s February and yesterday I wore work out capris outside. Crazy!
jana @ newly wife healthy life recently posted..It’s February?!

6 katie February 2, 2012 at 7:08 am

The weather has been awesome here too for winter in PA! I love NYC! I was there in December and it actually wasn’t too bad weather wise. Have fun !
katie recently posted..Living in a FroYo world

7 Sneakers2Sandals February 2, 2012 at 7:19 am

I love Friend of a Farmer! We went there last time we were in NYC. On the weekend they have crazy long waits. You lucked out πŸ™‚

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 2, 2012 at 7:25 am

Have fun in NYC! Sounds like a great idea to visit on your way to the slopes!

9 Kathy February 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

cute..cute..cute! love the nice weather too!
Kathy recently posted..Skiing 101…..

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 2, 2012 at 7:48 am

It looks like you are having fun in NYC! That cookie sure does look tasty! There is nothing better than being able to spend less than $30 in NYC for two people for dinner! Have fun!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy Groundhog Day!…

11 Emily February 2, 2012 at 8:00 am

That latte from Milk looks awesome!
Emily recently posted..And Kitchen Demo Starts… NOW!

12 Army Amy* February 2, 2012 at 8:23 am

All the food looks so good! NY sure has the market cornered when it comes to options!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Laziness is Strong in This One

13 Dori February 2, 2012 at 8:39 am

So sorry I didn’t get a chance to see you while you were here! Your hair is looking awesome, I can’t believe how much it has grown over the last 2 years. My hair can’t get that long at all anymore, it’s been about the same length since the day I met you!
Dori recently posted..Dreams Come True

14 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 2, 2012 at 8:42 am

Wow, looks like a great trip so far!

Also, that milk bar looks so cool, who can turn down a cookie with everything in it!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Snacktastic

15 Corey @ Learning Patience February 2, 2012 at 8:50 am

Wow 63 degrees – awesome – that makes for perfect running weather – have fun!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Italian Slow Cooker Pork Chops

16 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 2, 2012 at 9:26 am

Haha a compost cookie? I love it! Have a great time!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Three things thursday

17 Meghan R February 2, 2012 at 9:28 am

You could always add the Xbox to your wedding registry πŸ˜‰

18 ABD February 2, 2012 at 9:38 am

For those who don’t live in NYC, you can actually buy mix to make Compost Cookies: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/momofuku-milk-bar-cookie-mix/. I gave some to my grandmother (who is incapable of following directions) and she (a) didn’t screw them up and (b) made them with sweet potato chips instead.

I wouldn’t suggest the Milk Bar cookbook. It is a classic restaurant cookbook where each recipe requires making 15 different things first and calls for things such as “corn powder.”

19 Cait's Plate February 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

Yeah it’s been SUPER warm here. It’s unbelievable! I hope the weather holds out like this for your whole trip!

I wasn’t so impressed with the Momofuku Milk Bar cookies actually! I think they changed the recipe and manufacture them versus making them in house and it changed the taste!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Valentine’s Day Recipe Roundup

20 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep February 2, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hahaha! I have to say.. you dance better than Kath πŸ˜‰

21 Erin (Texan Couture) February 2, 2012 at 10:06 am

My latte now looks so bland compared to yours! Ahh trip down memory lane I remember reading about all your past trips to NYC time sure is flying by.
Erin (Texan Couture) recently posted..Working from home & Failed resolutions

22 Megan February 2, 2012 at 10:19 am

Oh man! Your post brought back SO many memories! I loved being snowed into NYC with you and your mom!! Have fun! Wish I was in NYC too!!
Megan recently posted..Funfetti Cheesecake Bars!

23 Hillary February 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I tried making my own version of the compost cookie last year—they’re so freaking good!
Hillary recently posted..The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

24 Jen February 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm

You’re right – Jet Blue is the BEST! We almost never fly any other airline, only if Jet Blue is not an option. Glad you are enjoying your time in the city and the beautiful weather we’re having in the northeast!

25 Anna February 2, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I’m checking back into your blog after a long absence… just wanted to say that your long hair looks AWESOME!
Anna recently posted..happy birthday mama

26 Sara February 2, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I live near Philly, so went for a nice long run yesterday in the beautiful weather πŸ™‚

Add an Xbox to your gift registry… I’ve had friends who registered for Xbox or Wii… if it’s something you want, why not!?

27 Bobbi February 4, 2012 at 12:01 am

Girl we are flying Jet blue tomorrow!!!!!! We leave for the Bahamas!!! Glad to know about direct TV. Funny that I will be in FL and you won’t be πŸ™ oh and we have the MJ game on the Connect love it!!!

28 Sara@RunningInPinkProject February 4, 2012 at 8:28 am

So, you fly into NY and then drive to Vermont? And thats worked out well each time? I have to go from Tampa to NYC to upstate NY in May and Im trying to make a game plan. πŸ™‚
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Week 5~ Weigh In and Recap

29 Life's a Bowl February 5, 2012 at 8:31 am

My fiance and I are going to NYC next weekend, this post is the perfect timing!!! Schpanks πŸ˜€
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Extremely & Incredibly

30 Emily @LivingLongfellow February 5, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Looks like a fab time! I wonder if their street markets are open with the high temps?
Emily @LivingLongfellow recently posted..Rise & Shine

31 Alaina February 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I would like to see what that pie slice called CRACK is like! Sounds addictive. πŸ˜›
Alaina recently posted..Half at the Hamptons Training – Week 10 (And a Fun Survey)