Double Bridge Run

by Meghann on February 2, 2012

There’s nothing like an early run in the city.

IMAG1234.jpg

Especially when that run is with someone who is goofy and as running obsessed as you are.

IMAG1237.jpg

Ashley wanted to get 9 miles under her belt before we left for Vermont and I’m always down for a run. She planned out a route and we left the apartment this morning in light long sleeve tech tees and running shorts (still can’t get over how nice the weather is here!)

IMAG1236.jpg

We hit the Manhattan bridge and the Brooklyn bridge for a nice 9.7 mile run loop around the city.

IMAG1238.jpg

I’m not sure I could handle the stop and go and crowded streets of city running every single run, but it’s always nice to squeeze one in when traveling. It really makes you appreciate the open roads of back home that much more.

IMAG1239.jpg

Oh, and running bonus – I asked Ashley to be a bridesmaid and she said YES! Woo hoo! I felt so funny asking, like I was asking her to the prom or something. Ashley and I met exactly two years ago this week and since then she has become my best friend. We talk almost everyday and she was one of the first people I wanted to call when Derek proposed last month. I’m honored to have her as part of my bridal party.

IMAG1240.jpg

Blogger love. :)

After our run I had a bowl of yogurt, apple, granola, and almond butter courtesy of Ashley and Bo’s pantry – Thanks guys!

IMAG1242.jpg

The almond butter was the sea salt Trader Joe’s almond butter and it had just the right saltiness to it. I want to pick up my own jar while I’m up here and stock up.

We have some time to kill before we head to the mountains so Derek and I are going to do a little exploring.

Have a great Thursday!

1 Jordan@almondjay February 2, 2012 at 10:49 am

I think the best way to experience a city is to run through it :) We have been spoiled here with the weather in San Francisco too (no rain). Can’t wait to go for my long run tomorrow morning.
Jordan@almondjay recently posted..A day of experiments

2 wymberley February 2, 2012 at 11:05 am

When I run in town I always try to sprint through the lights if I see them changing. Im sure I will be hit by a truck one day. Thats why Im grounded to the treadmill most nights.
wymberley recently posted..Eating Paleo

3 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep February 2, 2012 at 11:10 am

I’m always so jealous of bloggers who get to run in NYC!

So excited for you that Ashley said “yes”!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Wide Open Spaces

4 Krissy @ Shiawase Life February 2, 2012 at 11:10 am

Great pics! What amazing weather :)
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..WARRIOR Wednesday.

5 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 2, 2012 at 11:14 am

Amazing views on that run! I absolutely love running and exploring while on a trip. Next time I am in NYC I definitely want to try and tackle an outdoor run :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..It’s February?!

6 Caitlin @ Chasing A Mile February 2, 2012 at 11:18 am

I also felt super weird when I was asking my friends to be bridesmaids or to be involved in my wedding. I got all nervous feeling. So weird. Good thing they all said yes!
Caitlin @ Chasing A Mile recently posted..Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

7 Meredith February 2, 2012 at 11:20 am

I love this! i live right down the street and run on the east river every morning!

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

What a great view! :) It is nervewracking asking people to be in your bridal party but it’s such a good feeling when they say yes :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy Groundhog Day!…

9 deva at deva by definition February 2, 2012 at 11:41 am

So fun – I love running in new cities. Where I run now is a bit more urban and I’m definitely becoming familiar with traffic patterns and light timing at the busiest intersections.
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Adventures in Parallel Parking

10 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 2, 2012 at 11:50 am

Aawww, blog love :D When I used to run I would always stay away from the busy areas of the city. Luckily Chicago had the whole lakefront for running so that wasn’t too difficult!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Chewy Lemon Cookies

11 Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner February 2, 2012 at 11:51 am

I love going for runs when I’m visiting cities! And I totally agree, running in NYC (or big cities like it) makes me long for my suburban MD runs. Luckily DC is not that bad, so running through the city is still an option.
Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner recently posted..Sunshine, drinks and a bit of running

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm

WOW-nice job on the long run in the city! Have fun for a few hours before heading out–love that city, it’s so great!

CUTE pink top, btw!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Protein-Packed Mexican Lunch (Recipe)

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 2, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Nice run! Those bridges sound rough! Haha no hills here in Chicago, or bridges!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..February Goals!

14 Cait's Plate February 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Love it! I wish I were doing that with you rather than sitting in my office as you run by!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Frustrated

15 Poptartyogini February 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Yeah!! I’m so excited that Ashley is a bridesmaid. It is so fun to ask people to participate in your special day. I’m sure she was honored! Enjoy the city.
Poptartyogini recently posted..one year ago: blizzard

16 brianna February 2, 2012 at 1:19 pm

yay! so fun to get to ask her in person. just curious, from a fellow early-stages-in-wedding-planner, how many are you having in your bridal party?

17 Lisa February 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I love to run in new cities ! I also love your top! Where did you get it?

18 Ash Bear February 2, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Her top is from Old Navy!
Ash Bear recently posted..Blogger Q&A: A Few Random Facts

19 Ali Mc February 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm

awww I wish I had a running partner like that. it looks like such a beautiful run. Glad you’re enjoying NY :)
Ali Mc recently posted..Need someone for our relay team!!

20 Celia February 2, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Its weird but when I was in suburbia with open roads I missed running in nyc. I think there is so much more stopping and going with traffic lights. In nyc you can run on the west side highway or central park and never have to stop!!!
Celia recently posted..happy things and A SPARKLY SOUL GIVEAWAY

21 Amanda February 2, 2012 at 1:51 pm

You certainly lucked out with the weather! And that pink color looks great on you. :)
Amanda recently posted..Curried Potato, Cauliflower & Kale Stew

22 Heather February 2, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I think its so awesome someone you met through blogging has become so close to be in your wedding!
Heather recently posted..Back Home

23 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Running in a city takes a lot of patience. It’s very difficult to settle in to a pace when you’re constantly starting and stopping!

I can’t believe you ran in just long-sleeve shirts in NYC in February. Awesome!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Protein Success

24 Krista February 2, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I was so nervous to ask my bridesmaids too! It was so awkward for some reason!

25 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Cute story! I know what you mean about asking people to be in your wedding. It feels so weird!

I love TJ’s Almond Butter. I usually have to drive an hour to the nearest one but I just found out we are getting a store this year. Woo0-hooo!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Music and Baking

26 Autumn February 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Meghann, I’m so envious! The bridges were my normal running route when I lived in the city. I miss them…so much! I agree with you though – I don’t miss the people dodging. My “local” bridge was the Williamsburg, but I also ran the Brooklyn Bridge a few times while training for my first half-marathon. Seeing the Manhattan skyline makes the run ten times better. Glad you had a great time in NYC!

27 Gwen February 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Heart! I love that you are IRL friends. Have fun in Vermont! THE BEST STATE IN THE WORLD!
Gwen recently posted..Deserved Hunger

28 Ashley February 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Thought you would like this….

29 Corey @ Learning Patience February 2, 2012 at 8:19 pm

The city runs are so priceless… I love that u met her thru blogging…that is awesome! xoxo enjoy your trip!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Italian Slow Cooker Pork Chops

30 Marie February 2, 2012 at 11:43 pm

That’s so sweet that she accepted being a part of your wedding party! You both seem so sweet; it’ll be an awesome event/day! I can’t wait to see everything come together for you! ;)

31 Emily February 3, 2012 at 8:40 am

You’re right. You do need to pick up your own jar of that almond butter. Its my favorite kind!
Emily recently posted..Another day, Another RUN!

32 Anne P February 3, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Awww yay I’m so glad you asked her to be a bridesmaid! Adorable. I remember being super nervous/awkward about asking my bridesmaids too, especially my maid of honor! Totally felt like asking to prom or something, ha.
Anne P recently posted..Combining Running with Studying = Multitasking Win

33 sarah February 4, 2012 at 7:58 pm

YAY for bridesmaids! Asking mine felt SO awkward too! You nailed it with feeling like you were weirdly asking them to prom! so true
sarah recently posted..Vegetarain Tempeh NO MEAT loaf

34 Cat @Breakfast to Bed February 6, 2012 at 11:20 am

This is why so many of us in the city do so many bridle path or prospect park runs. So.much.easier.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Men Screaming Like Mickey Mouse over Bunny Rabbits.

35 Alaina February 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I live in the city right now and the stop lights have become such a pain. Running along the Charles is nice though. My husband and I just bought a house in the “country” of MA, so I’m excited to run along the open road!
Alaina recently posted..Half at the Hamptons Training – Week 10 (And a Fun Survey)