Proof that I’m still a novice at the gym

by Meghann on February 1, 2012

I’ve been a regular in the free weights area of the gym for 7 months now. I get in, I get out, and I’m pretty comfortable feeling my way around and knowing what I need to do and what equipment to use to achieve that. That doesn’t mean I know everything. Not even close. I have my embarrassing ‘duh!’ moments, just like everyone else.

IMAG1231.jpg

For example, this morning I was struggling to lift one of the pre-weighted barbells over my head for squats, when a nice gentlemen saw me struggling and asked if I was doing squats. I replied yes and told him how I was following the NROLFW program. He listened and smiled, then turned me towards the barbell squat rack where I could add as much weight I wanted to either side and not worry about lifting the bar over my head.

IMAG1230.jpg

This is the part in the story where I turn beet red and smack myself in a ‘Duh, Meghann!’ moment. I knew this equipment existed and I knew it was for squats, but I have no idea why it didn’t occur to me load the barbell there for the squats I was doing.

I moved on to the barbell squat rack and was able to add 50% more weight because I didn’t have to worry about lifting the bar over my head. Ahhh… why did it not occur to me to move on to this machine before?

The sad part is I probably would have continued struggling with lifting the bar over my head if it wasn’t for the sweet guy who spoke up and showed me my error. If he noticed, I’m sure others had too and I must have been a sight to see to the other gym goers in the room. That feeling of embarrassment is there, but I can’t go back and change it now. Shrug it off and move on, right?

Have you ever had a ‘duh!’ moment at the gym? I know I’ve had plenty. This was just ONE example, but that’s how I learn – make mistakes and move on.

I was at the gym an hour earlier than normal so I could squeeze in my session of NROLFW 6A before our flight. I walked on the treadmill, lifted my weights, then booked it home to shower, eat breakfast, and finish packing.

Derek stayed up all night packing so he could sleep in. I went to bed early so i could get up early and finish packing in the morning. I’m not sure which philosophy is better, but each way worked for us.

Since I was in a bit of rush, breakfast was just a quick bowl of cereal.

• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • Plain Chobani
  • Strawberries
  • Walnuts
  • Chocolate Somersaults

I also had a few bites of the donuts that Derek’s brother brought when he picked us up. They were ok. I’m not a huge fan of yeast donuts – I’m more of a cake donut girl myself.

Now Derek and I are waiting to board our flight and be on our way to NYC.

I’ll see ya in the Big Apple!

1 Meg at runridelove.com February 1, 2012 at 10:54 am

I always hate the ‘duh’ moment, but it happens to me all the time!

Hope you have a good travel day and great trip!
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Base Training: Week 4

2 Olivia February 1, 2012 at 10:59 am

I am a fan of all donuts! Those don’t fit into my eating plan though – hahaha! I have had several DUH moments at the gym too though, but usually they’re for the best cause you learn important stuff!!
Olivia recently posted..My EatCleanDiet Day 1 Bfast

3 Krissy @ Shiawase Life February 1, 2012 at 11:03 am

Safe travels, Meghann!

My fave are sour cream donuts…mmm.
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Tune in Tuesday

4 Liz February 1, 2012 at 11:06 am

I’m really surprised this info wasn’t given in the description of NRLFW. That’s a pretty big oversight in my opinion since squats are such a basic free weights move.
Liz recently posted..Trucking along

5 deva at deva by definition February 1, 2012 at 11:09 am

I knew what the squat rack was, but didn’t realize I was supposed to be doing my squats facing in toward the rack, until a very nice gym-goer stopped me in week two, and demonstrated for me, and then spot-checked me.
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Top Seven: Gear For Running

6 Casey @ oatsandnanners February 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

Oh my goodness! Duh moments happen to me all the time – especially since I work at the gym. Male patrons always feel the need to “assist” ladies when it comes to all things weight-lifting. You go girl! Have fun in NYC!
Casey @ oatsandnanners recently posted..Catching Up

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 1, 2012 at 11:13 am

I don’t know if I’ve ever had a ‘duh’ moment, but I have definitely had some embarrasing moments at the gym trying new equipment. Like, I have never been able to get the stair master to work for me, I always look like I’m drowning trying to get off the floor, and I’ve definitely seen people give me some strange looks before 😛

Oh well, live and learn right?
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Calling All Bloggers

8 Carissa February 1, 2012 at 11:14 am

Everyone is going to NYC! I’m so jealous!

Don’t worry about the embarrassment..now you know! You can also use the smith machine for squats to as you up your weights!
Carissa recently posted..WIAW – Chobani Giveaway

9 Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 1, 2012 at 11:15 am

I have had my fair share of moments like that. One time after doing the bench press, I took all of the weights off of one side of the bar (since that seemed more efficient), only to watch as the weights on the other side pulled the bar right off of the bench crashing to the ground. Definitely a big red-faced moment for me.

10 Kristen @ Random Ramblings February 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

oh my gosh, this just made me laugh out loud…. but I’m SO glad you posted bc that would have never even occurred to me!!
Kristen @ Random Ramblings recently posted..Happy Happy Joy Joy!!

11 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep February 1, 2012 at 11:20 am

I used to work in a gym, and I wish more people would have been as open to listening as you were.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Wide Open Spaces

12 Kate February 1, 2012 at 11:34 am

I never seem to be able to get those little pins out of the machines to move the equipment around to new positions. This is the kind of thing that only happens when other people are around and then I’m too proud to give up on it and walk away so I just stand there red faced and struggling until it moves. Sometimes someone else will come over and help me and it seems like they just touch the pin and it releases.

One time I was working with my trainer on legs and wasn’t focused on what I was doing and locked out my knees. He’s usually a jokester but he got so serious so fast I was scared something really bad had happened, then I got embarrassed because I know better. I understand that what I did was dangerous and I could have been hurt and while his reaction startled me I was definitely so caught off guard that I will never forget again!
Kate recently posted..Wednesday Check-In

13 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 1, 2012 at 11:40 am

This is so embarrassing, but once in college while running on the treadmill I dropped my iPod and looked down for just a second. For some reason my instinct was to stop running and get my iPod, when the treadmill was still on 7 mph! I got thrown off the back and literally 5 people ran up to me and asked if I was okay! Thankfully i was, just a bruised ego! Ahh I am still embarrassed just typing this! 😉

14 Heather @ Run Eat Play February 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I kind of avoid the free weight section because it kind of intimidates me. Sometimes, I’ll just take the hand weights and move to my own little section. I am pretty sure that I am going to fall off the back of the treadmill one day.
I love the new peanut butter Cheerios. So good!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Five Prized Possessions

15 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm

what are chocolate somersaults?!!? And that was really nice of him, I hope someone would do that for me!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Feelin’ Snacky

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 1, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Duh moments are good moments–because they humble us 🙂 WAY to be excited about someone’s nice correction instead of being annoyed. GO you–that says a lot about your character!

LOVE the squat help the barbell gives!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Easy As 3-2-1 Cardio Circuit Workout + BONUS

17 Poptartyogini February 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I can’t believe you went to the gym before getting on a plane. You’re super serious! I’m impressed. I’m sure now if you need someone who needs help at the gym you will because you know it was a relief. Safe travels!
Poptartyogini recently posted..pet peeve: doctors

18 Emily February 1, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Lol. that’s a pretty good one.

Enjoy your time in NYC and take pictures for your Meghann and Derek Travel photobook!
Emily recently posted..And Kitchen Demo Starts… NOW!

19 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I used to have many “duh” moments, which is why I now work out in the privacy of my apartment. The only person to witness whatever I get myself into is me!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Coffeemate: A love affair

20 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 1, 2012 at 2:07 pm

haha, I’m only laughing because that would SO be something I would do too. Live and learn 😉
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Maple cinnamon almond butter

21 Cait's Plate February 1, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Oooh I love the chocolate somersaults addition! I have some of those sitting in my pantry that I definitely want to use for my next breakfast!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Valentine’s Day Recipe Roundup

22 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs February 1, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Woohoo, NYC! Hope you two have a great trip!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Video of the Day

23 Army Amy* February 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I read the words “cake donut” and started drooling!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Mathematics of Standing in One Room for 5 Hours

24 Roselyn @ A Balanced Fit February 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm

My DUH moment at the gym was using the hack squat machine…there’s an area on the machine where you add weights, and an area on the machine where you can rack the weights you aren’t using…I thought the area where you rack the weights WAS the area where you add the weights and I put my weights there, so when I was using the machine, it really had no weight on it. That was definitely a DUH moment for me!! (I hope that makes sense…??!! LOL)
Roselyn @ A Balanced Fit recently posted..We’ve entered the dark side…

25 Sue Kauffman February 2, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I work out at home with SelecTec Dumbells and a ChaLean Extreme DVD. When I do something embarrassing, I’m usually by myself. It lowers the embarrassment factor. PS I want your breakfast, it looks awesome.
Sue Kauffman recently posted..Online Fitness Coaching: Featured Blog of the Week