more ยป" />

My Favorite Time to Run

by Meghann on January 21, 2012

And it just keeps getting better and better. ;)

This morning I met my new friend Diana for a super early 11 mile run around beautiful downtown Tampa and Davis Island. I love running around there because it’s just so quiet and peaceful in the morning. There’s nothing but streets full of runners nodding their heads as they pass each other in the silence of the dark. Love that.

We hit the peak of Davis Island just as the sun was rising over the water, it really doesn’t get much better than that.

We kept a solid 9:00 min/mi pace and spent a good portion of the run talking about upcoming races and goals. Diana ran her first half marathon at Disney World a couple of weeks ago (Go Diana!) and also plans to the run the St. Pete half marathon next month. I think she caught the racing bug. ;)

My legs felt great for all 11 miles. I probably should have run a couple of more, but I had to book it home to shower and prepare for the day. (Derek’s parents will be here at 9:15 and we’re going venue shopping then taking them to use the Universal tickets we bought them for Christmas. Fun stuff ;))

Thanks for waking up at the butt crack of dawn and running with me Diana. You rock!

I had a piece of toast with almond butter before I left for the run and a small bowl of yogurt with walnuts, cereal, and blueberries afterwards to hold me over until we head to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

Can’t wait to get my hands on some eggs and pancakes! ;)

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!

1 Caroline January 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

The sunrise pictures look beautiful and I wish I had somewhere like that to knock out some early morning miles.

2 Nathan Veldhoen January 21, 2012 at 9:32 am

Morning are great for that…In the summer (currently a ton of snow here) I love riding my bike in the morning too. Love the pictures, and nice haul this morning.

3 Ericka @ The Sweet Life January 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

That first photo is amazing! I’m always shocked by what awesome photos turn out at sunrise runs — even with my iphone. I guess sunlight and nature are the best editors sometimes. And…superjealous you are done with that run as I sit here in my PJs thinking about the one I’ve got to gear up for!

4 Life's a Bowl January 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

Y’all have sun, we’ve got snow! If only it was a sunny snow day :P

5 this fit chick January 21, 2012 at 9:44 am

BEAUTIFUL! I LOVe morning runs- well, mainly the feeling AFTER the run when you have accomplished something so early in the day!

6 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 21, 2012 at 9:45 am

Gorgeous first photo there! Early morning is my absolute favourite time to run too, provided it’s reasonably warm (which I’m sure it is in Florida!) Sounds like a perfect start to the day!

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 21, 2012 at 9:48 am

Looks like a beautiful run! And I love Cracker Barrel, whenever I’m on a road trip I always beg my family to stop and eat at one. Their cinnamon apples and biscuits are my favorite :P

8 Anne P January 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

Ahhhh this post makes me miss Tampa (and especially winter in Tampa) SO MUCH! Gorgeous.

9 sarah January 21, 2012 at 9:50 am

Beautiful run! If I ran this morning i would have gotten covered in snow ;)

10 Sneakers2Sandals January 21, 2012 at 9:50 am

Ah! I love these photos! Especially the one of me looking like a giant sweaty dork :)

11 Rachel January 21, 2012 at 9:58 am

Cracker Barrel FTW! That triangle game is the BEST.

12 Emily January 21, 2012 at 10:31 am

Those pics are beautiful!!! Ugh I am so sick of the weather in Seattle. I just want to RUUUUN : ) run some outdoor miles for me!!

13 Kalee January 21, 2012 at 10:45 am

Wow! Love that first picture!! :) Enjoy Cracker Barrel’s pancakes—they are SOOOO good!

14 Jordan@almondjay January 21, 2012 at 10:47 am

One of my favorite parts of running is getting up early and watching the day start and nodding to the other runners who get to share the moment along the way. I’m off for a run soon – if I can handle the crazy wind us northern Cali people are getting.

15 Jeff January 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

Great pics and glad Diana has a new running buddy.

16 Marty January 21, 2012 at 11:32 am

I have the same love for sunrises and mornings in general! I took a photo the other day as the sun was peeking through and I absolutely love it. Since I love those early morning runs, I have had great difficulty finding a running buddy! Sniff sniff. Some are just not “morning people” and most are just not into running. Oh well! I’ll continue relying on nature to get me through the mileage :)

17 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

My husband’s grandparent’s live in Tampa and it really is so beautiful! Great job on the 11 miles! Sounds like you have a great Saturday ahead! Can’t wait to hear about the venue’s!!

18 Army Amy* January 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

It’s so much more motivating to wake up early for a run when you have a buddy to do it with you. Have fun venue shopping!*

19 Chelsea January 21, 2012 at 11:51 am

I’m always afraid to run before the sun comes up, but I bet you feel much better with a buddy by your side :)

20 Cait's Plate January 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm

What a perfect way to start off a Saturday! We’re currently under 5 inches of snow so no outdoor 11 miles for us!! ;) Enjoy the eggs!

21 Hillary January 21, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I am jealous that you got to run in shorts and a tank top this morning. We had an ice storm last night, so I needed to do my long run on the treadmill. Boo!

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Have fun venue shopping! Very exciting!

23 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 21, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Early morning is the best time to run. Seeing the sun rise on a cloudless day makes my whole day!

24 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I love it when I have a running buddy! I actually did my 10 miles on the treadmill at my gym this morning, and the girl next to me was doing 12. We ended up chatting for a bit of it, it was nice to meet someone new!

25 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 21, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Gorgeous sunrise pictures!!

Nice job on the run and waking up so freakin’ early! ;)

26 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 21, 2012 at 2:26 pm

What a gorgeous sunrise!! That would totally make an 11 mile run worth every moment. :)

27 Kelly @ Vegolosophy January 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Wow! What a beautiful picture, and the weather looks amazing!! Can’t say the same about snowy NYC today haha :)

28 Mary@food and fun on the run January 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Lol we ran the exact same place this morning with Stephanie from 321 Delish! We should coordinate our schedules better :)

29 Sara@RunningInPinkProject January 21, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I need to keep a running list of these places so I will know the good spots to run/walk after I move. Just a few months to go! :)

30 Rachel January 22, 2012 at 12:16 am

Wow, 11 miles. I can’t even run 1 mile. Can you tell me about how you built up your stamina and everything? I have no idea where to start.

31 Allie January 22, 2012 at 2:51 am

What a pretty venue!!
In my other life, I am an event planner, and have planned many weddings. My main advice for you is to remember that you want to have fun and enjoy your wedding! It you aren’t planning on hiring a wedding planner you have to think about the zillion different things you will have to do the day before, the day of and the day after your wedding (and, trust me, there are so many little details that go into making the day run smoothly!). If the budgets don’t work out terribly differently, I definitely recommend the “all-inclusive” venue simply because it will put your mind at ease :)
Can’t wait to hear more about your planning!

32 Allie January 22, 2012 at 2:57 am

Opps! Commented on the wrong post!