The Story Behind the Ring

by Meghann on January 20, 2012

First of all, my apologies for all the sappy love posts as of late. What can I say? I’ve been in a sappy love-is-in-the-air mood.

I blame this.

oh, love. <3

But, that’s not what I’m here to write about. I owe you the story behind this.

335796_10101400017086383_5207154_74240417_1557738100_o.jpg

Isn’t it beautiful?

The first question I usually hear when I show friends, family, or random strangers my ring is “is sapphire your birthstone?”

Nope. No it is not. My birthstone is amethyst – which is a really pretty light purple stone, but isn’t really me.

Amethyst birthstones2.jpg

(source)

eh.

I wasn’t very girly growing up. I hated the color pink and any pretty, frilly colors that were associated with pink. I also hated being called ‘young lady’, but that’s another story. Amethyst was a frilly, girly color and I remember secretly not liking the one amethyst necklace I received for my first communion.

What I really loved was the color blue. My Mom (whose birthstone is actually sapphire) always wore jewelry that had beautiful sapphires in it and it was because of her that I fell in love with the stone. It felt more ‘me’ than my birthstone and I loved playing dress up with it.

My Dad actually proposed to my Mom with a solitaire diamond ring when they were in high school. It was December of their senior year and my Dad brought my Mom to a park by the river. He gave her a chicken hand puppet and when she put her hand in the puppet, a ring was waiting for her in one of the finger holes. Yep, my Dad was a jokester – even back then.

They were married 11 months later and she wore that ring for the next decade or so. Then, while she was working on a lab project in nursing school, a container of mercury broke in her hands and ate away all the jewelry she was wearing, including her wedding rings.

I’ll never forget going to the jewelry store with her and my Dad to pick out a new set of rings. They ended up selecting another round cut solitaire ring, but upgrading with a wrap around set of sapphires. I was SO excited for my mom when she tried it on. I loved it and a part of me knew, even back then, that I wanted something similar.

I thought my Mom’s sapphires were unique, but then I started seeing similar sets everywhere. Both my Grandma Anderson and my cousin Angel have similar designs and both are gorgeous.

The idea of a sapphire engagement ring was one that had obviously been in my head for a while, but I’m not sure I ever said it out loud until Derek got it out of me when we were in Sonoma back in 2010.

We took a wine tour through wine country and let’s just say I didn’t waste any of the delicious wine by spitting. Oh, no. I was toasted. And he knew it.

I can’t even remember what got us on the conversation, but I distinctly remember telling him exactly what kind of engagement ring I wanted – emerald cut diamond, sapphire accents, and a platinum band. Instead of running for the hills, he got his phone out and wrote the description in a note as I proceeded to pass out.

<insert screenshot of said note that he only deleted from his phone two days ago, before I had a chance to steal it off of his phone>

He kept that note in his phone for well over a year and a half, waiting to find the perfect ring that fit that description. Only, he couldn’t. My perfect ring didn’t exist. At least it didn’t exist at any of the big name jewelry stores.

Over Thanksgiving break Derek left my family’s house early to head back to Tampa and hang out with his brother. Or so I thought. The truth was he had found a local jeweler to custom build my ring. He worked with the jeweler on building one that fit my description (emerald cut diamond, sapphire accents, platinum band) and designed something beautiful. :)

It’s exactly what I wanted and he did a beautiful job putting it together. :)

I’ll have to do a photo side-by-side of my grandmother’s, my mother’s and my ring the next time we’re together. Three generations of sapphires. :) My parents will celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary in November and my grandmother had well over 55 years of wedded bliss with my grandfather before he passed in 2005 – I’ll take that as a good sign that a sapphire is a lucky stone for a happy marriage.

Is there a story behind your engagement ring? Or behind the one you have your heart set on?

1 Madeline - Greens and Jeans January 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Love it! My main stone is a sapphire and I really couldn’t be more thrilled with it! I always knew I didn’t want the diamond to be the focus of my ring and crazily enough, both my fiance and I have a long history of women in our lives with sapphire engagement rings, so we just look at it as a family tradition.
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..wedding who knews?

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Love that the ring has so much meaning :)
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Fabulous Friday! (Reblog+)

3 Anne January 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I also have sapphires. My mom had a sapphire for her main stone. The story of how my husband picked out my ring goes like this:
Matt to Jeweler: I’d like to buy an engagement ring.
Jeweler: Did you have any thing in mind?
M: A blue one.
J: Here are your two choices.
M: That one.

TA DA! He knows that I love blue and sapphires.
Anne recently posted..Streeeeeetch

4 Mary @ food and fun on the run January 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Love that Derek put the info in his phone so long ago. Such a cute story!!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Focus on You: Hydration

5 Holly January 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I actually have a light blue sapphire as my stone in my engagement ring too! I went “ring looking” with a friend, and the friend kind of gave Daniel some misinformation. Anyways- he proposed with a beautiful diamond ring, but we both decided we didn’t really like it (about a week later, we were talking and that’s how it was decided that we wanted to make a switch). We went back to the jewelry store, and he chose a new band and I chose a sapphire for the center. Mine is a light blue sapphire and I LOVE it!

6 Caroline January 20, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Wow- what a sweet story, and impressive he kept that note for so long! I love the ring and love when there are personal stories behind people’s engagement rings! Thanks for sharing!
Caroline recently posted..Dinner At The Melting Pot

7 Amanda January 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I love your story! How incredible of him to write that note down in his phone. I love it. When we got engaged I was completely surprised with the ring. We had never talked about it. The coolest part was going to get it cleaned for the first time and the sales rep that worked with my fiancee was the one who helped me. She told me that he came into the store about six times looking for the perfect ring. Once he saw the one he actually bought, she said his face lit up and she knew that was the one. It was so awesome to hear the story from someone who helped him through the process.
Amanda recently posted..Soldierfit

8 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Boyfriend’s are so sneaky sometimes! ;-) We were window shopping rings about a year before we got engaged and I pointed out a ring that was perfect in my eyes! Simple 1 carat diamond ring in a white gold band. It was so classic and fit my taste spot on! He proposed to me on my birthday and I was in love!! Do you have any clue what you want your wedding band to look like yet?
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Whip it Good

9 Meghann January 23, 2012 at 10:34 am

I haven’t given too much thought to a wedding band yet, but I really just want something simple. I’m not very flashy and never really wear jewelry, so I think something plain and simple is more my fit. :)

10 wymberley January 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I always wanted an emerald. When my husband surprised me with a saphire I could not have been more pleased! I think the blue is even more beautiful. Welcome to the club!
wymberley recently posted..Crossfit: The New Epic Goal

11 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe January 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Apparently I picked mine out, though I barely remember it… I just remember him saying something about it being a good time to buy a house, and I looked at him and said “if we’re going to look at houses, we’d have some other conversations that we’d need to have first!” and he goes “I know, wanna go window shopping?” and off we went to the jewelry store. I pointed out a few sets that I thought were pretty, but made the comment about one “I like that one, it’s simple and has a vintage look to it, if only it had a princess cut stone, otherwise it’s gorgeous.” He remembered that, and had them fit the setting with a princess cut stone! Color me surprised because that was about 8 months before we found a house we loved and he proposed.
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Fiiiinally Friday… and a possible foot fracture?

12 Hillary January 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Love this.

I’m pretty sure that my future engagement ring is going to be my great-grandmother’s. After she passed away, my grandmother kept it for safekeeping. Unfortunately, my grandmother’s original engagement ring was stolen about ten years ago, so she’s been wearing my great-grandmother’s ever since. She has told me (and my boyfriend!) that it’s ours whenever we’re ready. Luckily for me, it’s beautiful and perfect and pretty much exactly what I would pick out for myself. It also has been through two very happy, long marriages which, like you, I take as a good sign!
Hillary recently posted..Going The Distance

13 Emily January 20, 2012 at 2:17 pm

So lovely! Thank you for sharing the background, it’s a gorgeous ring .
Emily recently posted..Spiced Celeriac & Carrot Soup ~

14 Kath January 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Very sweet that he pulled it out of you when you were toasted – haha. But I love that it’s exactly what you wanted!
Kath recently posted..All In The Cards

15 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

You definitely must get the photo of the three generations of sapphire rings! That would be a great wedding day photo as well. Derek did such a great job. I love that he listened you and kept the note.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..On the calendar

16 Leslie January 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Love this story! The stories behind why guys choose the rings that they do are so amazing! I got engaged in November and still get all giddy when I look at my ring. My fiance and I had looked at 3 rings, and I couldn’t decide which one I liked better. We were going away for a weekend trip to Biltmore Estate in NC and (to throw me off) he told me that when we got back he wanted to go back and look at them again. When he proposed that weekend I was shocked – he had secretly contacted his local jewler and combined all the details that I loved about the 3 rings into one!

17 Hilary January 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I have a sapphire solitare as my stone. I’m not a big fan of diamonds. I think they are beautiful, but they just aren’t me. My boyfriend knew that when he went to find my ring so I have a sapphire on a white gold band.

18 Emily January 20, 2012 at 2:24 pm

My engagement ring is perfect. I, for years, talked to my BFF Katie about what I wanted in case some boyfriend asked. I even told my now husband, “Katie will know.” So when he decided to propose, he called her. They met at a downtown jeweler at lunchtime (they both work downtown, I do not anymore) which is the same place that Katie’s husband got her perfect ring. When they got there, everyone was looking at Katie for guidance and Katie’s response was “All I know is she wants sparkly.” Lol!

Luckily they ended up doing an amazing job and keeping it a secret from me. J even went through a seperate security line as me at the airport and said we were going to “race” in case the TSA folks needed to see it!

So glad that yours is as perfect for you as mine is for me.
Emily recently posted..Rest Day Guilt?

19 SpaceySteph January 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Funny I’m your opposite- my birthstone is sapphire but I LOVE purple and want amethyst accents on my engagement ring.
Congrats!
SpaceySteph recently posted..Home Cooking Challenge- Meat Muffins

20 Racheal @ Running with Racheal January 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Apparently he didn’t have as much wine as you did. Hehehe. That was such a great story. Gave me goosebumps. :)
Racheal @ Running with Racheal recently posted..Pan Lickin’ Chicken

21 Life's a Bowl January 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Aw, such a cute story! Sapphire is my birthstone and I think it’s absolutely beautiful! My momma’s engagement ring was two sapphires with a diamond in the middle… I used to wear it and felt so elegant :) Since she got divorced, she redid her engagement ring and wedding band. She now has a beautiful thick, gold ring with the sapphire as the center stone and little diamonds floating around it [from her band] and the two bigger diamonds were made into earrings… I always tell her I know who will happily take it off her “hand” whenever need be hehe ;)
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..C Land

22 Corey @ Learning Patience January 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I love the story and that he pays SO much attention to what you say…the sign of an amazing future husband for sure. :-) What will your wedding band look like then?

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Seeing Results and Spicy Black Bean Edamame Burgers

23 Debby January 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm

My ring is just diamonds (lol) but my story is how I gave up a wedding band w/matching diamonds to use the money instead to build a fence so we could adopt a dog. My dh went to Vegas before our wedding and won enough money there to get me the diamond band. But…. the jeweler couldn’t get it in time for our wedding (he was going to surprise me).

Instead he planned to surprise me for Valentine’s Day (wedding 2/3) and the band STILL wasn’t ready. So he wrote me a letter and gave it to me at Valentine’s dinner and had a hand-drawn photo of the ring in the letter. Awwww

I found the letter last week going through some boxes….

24 Grace January 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm

What a beautiful story! I used to be all caught up in what I would want my ring to look like…and now I’m here 7 and half year later not really caring what it will look like. I just want him to pick it out with me in mind and I know I’ll love it:)
Grace recently posted..My Journey to the Marathon Part 1: Training.

25 SpaceySteph January 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

This is how I feel too and its killing my bf, I think. He’s started poking around for ideas and I’m just like “I don’t care, I want you to pick it out.” But there’s so many options and so much pressure to pick something I’d like since I have to look at it forever, that I think he wishes I would give him a better idea.
SpaceySteph recently posted..Home Cooking Challenge- Meat Muffins

26 Shayla @ The Good Life January 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Such a beautiful story Meghann and so very sweet!!! I wish I had a neat story of my ring but I don’t…I just saw the style of ring I liked and emailed it to him…very romantic huh? ;)

27 Brie January 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm

So cute!
Tim got really excited once he decided to propose, so he did it without a ring. Then he was like, “oh man, I messed up, I should have waited” and felt really bad. So we went out ring shopping together–he got an idea of what I liked but made the final decision himself. When he picked my ring up at the store, he gave it to me for the first time at a State Farm insurance office, because he was paranoid and wanted to get it insured right away. Somehow the agent didn’t understand, because a few weeks later, we got a letter saying “I’m thrilled you chose to propose at State Farm, we are so honored!” and I felt kind of bad. Oh well.
Brie recently posted..My first double under

28 Dori January 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I LOVE this story! It is so sweet and really says a lot about Derek that he took a note of exactly what you wanted and made sure you got it, even when it wasn’t easy. I know exactly the ring I want one day — and so do my sister in law, mother, best friend and ex-roommate. That email also includes my ring size. That way, if my boyfriend were to ask someone what I liked, it would be covered.
Dori recently posted..Ellasport Review & Giveaway

29 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness January 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm

You’re totally allowed to be in a love sappy mood! I just got married in May and love to hear about weddings.
My now-husband knew I liked simple and squeezed diamond jargon out of me one day, but the best part is that I got fooled into going to this gem show with my now mother-in-law and while I was there the jeweler had me try on rings…ya know, for fun. Little did I know it was to size my finger. So tricky!
Enjoy every second of this time!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Baring it All: Good, Bad and Doing it Again in NYC

30 Poptartyogini January 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I love your ring. This was the post I was looking forward to! My ring is a plain old round cut. Put that money in the middle!!
Poptartyogini recently posted..january in the chicagoland suburbs

31 Liz January 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I thought you weren’t going to turn this into a wedding blog?

32 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I don’t recall saying that. ;) This is a blog about my life and part of my life right now will be planning my wedding, just like part of it was moving in with Derek last year. I don’t plan to have this blog completely dedicated to wedding planning, but I will have posts up every once in a while that are wedding themed. The past two weeks have just been a little wedding heavy because it just happened and I have a few stories I wanted to share. The ring was something plenty of people have been asking about, so I wanted to get the story out there. :)

33 SkinnyRunner January 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

i like the history and story behind your ring.

i had my ring made too… twice because i didn’t love how the first one turned out. high maintenance, what?

34 Heather January 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This is such a sweet story. I love that all 3 generations in your family have this in common. It is super fun to get engaged and being married is the best. I have w wonderful husband.

My ring is really unique too.I am total klutz and have managed to destroy a number of pieces of jewelry in my life, so I told my husband I needed a ring that was “Heather proof” He spend a long time looking and couldn’t find anything. He finally ended up ordering it sight unseen from a small family-owned jewelry store in Maine (We lived in Orlando at the time) that a colleague had recommended.

It is a bezel set center stone that is open along the size to let light in. The ring itself is platinum. It is absolutely perfect and really unique (mine was number 55 at the time it was made). I have gotten tons of complements on it too.
Heather recently posted..Going Home

35 erica January 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

aw, i love it! i love that he wrote the description in the notes section of his phone! that’s the cutest thing!

my husband enlisted the help of my best friend. she made up this story about an older co-worker who had gotten engaged without a ring, but had no style or idea of what she wanted in a ring, so her friend had complied a page of different pictures of different cuts and styles and told her to pick. she’s like, “you wanna see?” and of course i said i did. and of course things caught my eye and i told her. “ooh, i’d pick this one!” she then told me which ring her friend had chosen….totally something old school that i wouldn’t have picked. and that was it. who knew she had made that for ME and then sent it to my husband and told him what parts of what ring i liked and then he had it made to those specifications!

i guess they can be sneaky when they want to be. hahaha.
erica recently posted..trying new things…

36 Gavi @ Gavi Gets Going! January 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I love hearing the stories behind engagement rings! My fiance custom designed mine using the center stone from his grandmother’s engagement ring. It is extraordinarily meaningful to me to be wearing his grandmother’s center stone. My ring is a 14k white gold band with two round cut diamonds nestled on either side of the center stone. I still love hearing about my fiance talking to his family and my family ahead of time and designing the ring secretly for months. Yours is beautiful!

37 Anne January 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I love sapphires too- my engagement ring is a sapphire center stone surrounded by diamonds. I really love it and it sets itself apart from plain diamond rings!!

38 Erin @ GoBananasBlog January 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm

My engagement ring was actually my husband’s grandmother’s ring. She is actually very scary from all the stories I’ve heard (She called my husband’s aunt the Whore of Babylon). But the ring is very unique. The only problem is that because it is so old, I can’t resize it any longer. The gold is so fragile at this point but the upside is now I have an extra wedding band to keep it on my finger since it is now too big. So technically I have one engagement ring and 3 wedding rings. Plus, it has a story and it is something I can pass down.
Erin @ GoBananasBlog recently posted..Where’s Mickey?

39 Erin January 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm

That is an amazing story! It’s wonderful that you have such a history to go with it that you can share with your future children.

My husband picked my engagement ring out with the help of his mom….a few days after he got his wisdom teeth removed. We’d only talked about it briefly. He’d given me a sterling silver ring with a faux diamond solitare in a heart shape as a “promise ring” and his original plan was to recreate it with a real diamond and a white gold band. Unfortunately, the one jewelry store he went to told him they couldn’t do that so he picked out something else. Turns out he picked out a beautiful square cut diamond in a platinum setting that ended up being the perfect ring even if I didn’t know it.
Erin recently posted..Three Weeks

40 Margo January 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Your ring is beautiful, and I love the story!

I spent so much time dreaming of my “perfect” ring and even sent photos to a friend. My husband-to-be surprised me with a ring he designed using stones from a necklace that was his grandmothers. While it’s nothing I would have ever picked for myself, I absolutely love it!

41 Jess January 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Lovely ring and story. Now, from a practical point of view, emerald cut diamonds get ‘dirty’ quicker than other cuts, and will lack sparkle after a while because the cut has fewer facets than another cut, like round brill. So I would recommend investing in some jewellery cleaner (if you haven’t already) and giving it a clean every few weeks to keep it sparkling. Every 3-6 months also pop into a jeweller and get it professionally cleaned. Most jewellery stores seem to do it for a small charge, or even free.

Former jewllery sales person here, and this is the exact advice I gave every woman who got a emerald cut ring. I personally love the cut, so I know that it takes a little more work. It is worth it though!!

42 Bridget January 20, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I love the story behind your ring and the engagement! When my now husband and I started to discuss getting married I thought I wanted a sapphire, but I fell in love with emerald and that is what I got. Originally the ring was an emerald solitaire, but we got two tiny diamond added to the band from my great grandma’s engagement ring. So when I got married the diamonds were my something old.
Bridget recently posted..You know you’re a runner when…

43 jennyv January 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm

My husband and I had just looked in ring cases from time to time the few months leading up to our engagement. It was finals week at college and we decided to go to a local Chinese restaurant for lunch. We saw the local jewelry store across the road and looked at the engagement rings and I saw some beautiful ones but nothing more.

Little did I know that he went back and purchased my ‘fave’ that weekend and proposed another week later at Christmas! I had told my parents the night before, “I don’t know, we could get engaged in 2 weeks or 2 years — but I just know we will.” He had already asked my dad… and shown everyone my ring :)

44 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm

My favorite engagement ring story is my grandparent’s.
They got engaged right after WWII and couldn’t afford a very nice ring. They decided to wait until they had a little more money to get any ring at all. A few years later, my grandpa found the most beautiful ring at Famous Barr (now Macys). At the time they gave out “stamps” that were essentially coupons based on the amount of money you spent. He waited until triple stamp day to buy my grandma’s ring, and then gave her a HUGE pile of stamps for a Christmas gift!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Need To Get Rid Of

45 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Wow what a listener, and it was very smart of him to write that down. I think when my time comes (gotta find a man first lol!), I just want a simple princess cut on a platinum band.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Meals with No Excuses

46 Kathy January 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Yep..you did it again! Your posts just get better and better.

No significance to my engagement or wedding band except that HE picked it out. It’s a simple one carat diamond….I guess it fits me perfectly b/c I always say I am as simple as they get. No frilly,girlie girl stuff…….usually…. ;/
Kathy recently posted..other years….

47 Amy January 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Sweet story! I still want to hear the alternate proposal stories that you tweeted about the other day. I’ve been married almost 5 years, but I’m such a sap for proposal stories :)

48 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’ll share them, but I need to break up the proposal talk just a tad. ;)

49 Holly January 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Love it! I was a little more “in your face” with my (now) husband about what I wanted in an engagement ring. I even bought a fake one and gave it to him. He kept it on his key chain until he proposed. (Oh, and my deal was I did NOT want a solitaire–they were really popular at the time and I wanted something different. Princess cut with diamonds on the side was my request- and I got it!)

Glad there’s someone else with a Feb birthday (amethyst) who isn’t crazy about her birthstone. I much prefer the sapphire myself! :)
Holly recently posted..Houston Marathon (non)Race Report

50 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie January 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm

This was a beautiful story! I love the meaning behind your ring! I hope it brings you lots of love and happiness!
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..“Of Course I Do, I’m A Princess And This Is My Tiara!”

51 Heather January 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Make sure you post the 3 generations of sapphire when you get them!

52 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm

FUN story!! What a sweetie!

My husband found out my perfect ring (solitaire round in 6 prongs -white gold band), and he found the perfect jeweler to help him out. AND he totally surprised me–I knew we were getting married, but he had told me that he was still figuring things out….when in reality he had it all DONE. He’s amazing–he proposed atop of a mountain after we had ben sledding and snowshoeing–and he did it after dancing with me (using an ipod) and drinking hot cocoa and giving me a homemade poem he had written. SO sweet!

53 Amanda January 20, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Actually I seem to recall coming across some bit of info that sapphires in a wedding set are thought to bring good luck to the marriage, so there ya go :) I love the sapphire/diamond combo, but my husband wasn’t as into it and he was very determined to pick out my ring all on his own. I ended up with a gorgeous princess cut solitaire, but I still have plans for a diamond and sapphire right hand ring some day..

54 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hahahahahaha I love that he waited until you were about to pass out to ask so you didn’t remember! So sneaky. I don’t have a ring, nor one in mind. I’d really love something vintage though, preferably a family ring that has special meaning.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..My Favorite Things…

55 Laura January 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I told my husband very early on when we were dating that I wanted a white gold 4 prong solitaire. I was one of those random conversations and he remembered. He got back to San Diego after his Iraq deployment and immediately went to buy it.
Laura recently posted..Should have said no

56 Cara January 20, 2012 at 5:22 pm

So sweet! I love the story behind you ring and I love that Derek still had that note in his phone from over a year ago!

My fiance got out of me that I wanted something with diamonds and white gold, but that was all I let him do the picking and I couldn’t be happier :)
Cara recently posted..Very first WIAW!!!

57 Alysa (InspiredRD) January 20, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I love hearing the story behind your ring! It cracks me up that you told him exactly what you wanted while being “toasted”.

Here’s my story:
In college, my friend had a little jar that each of us girls put our “dream ring” in with our name written on it. I happened to mention this jar to my man (probably while a little bit toasted). When he was ready to propose, he called my friend and told her that he needed the ring picture from the jar. He took it to every ring shop in the area until he found one just like it. A few salespeople told him that he wouldn’t be able to find one that matched, but he was persistent. And I love it! We just celebrated our 10 year anniversary and I still stare at my pretty ring all the time :)

58 Nikki @ NiftyEats January 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Beautiful ring, love the blue. My ring is exactly what I wanted…vintage style, sqaure cut diamonds. My fiance picked it out on his own, didn’t think he would would remember after chatting about it couple yrs. ago. My birthstone is Amethyst, my favorite shade of purple. Sapphire is my fav color too, but we’re doing Amethyst, lavender & ivory as wedding colors.

Have you picked out wedding colors yet?

59 Colleen January 20, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Love the behind story on your ring! Love the steps Derek took to make sure you got the ring of your dreams. He is definitely a keeper.

60 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I think it’s wonderful that your parents got engaged in high school and are still together! Your ring is so beautiful!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..I’ll Just Take the Coffee

61 Zulkey January 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Love it. Unique and elegant. I am biased towards emerald cut diamonds myself: that’s what I have (with one baguette on either side). I think I like it because it’s what my mom had and what I’m used to, but I just love that it’s more like a prism than other diamond cuts. You can always find a rainbow in it. When my husband and I were talking engagement, I sent him a pic of the ring I wanted but had no idea how much he was prepared/willing to spend so I readied myself for just about anything. I had dreams about receiving really weird-looking rings and how that would go (I am not really a brat about this stuff, I swear). I was thrilled when he ended up getting the ring that I had hoped for, from the same jeweler who made my mom’s engagement ring.

62 Wendy G January 20, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I love it! I have a similar story actually! My husband and I have been together since the end of our senior year in high school. For our three year anniversary he bought me a beautiful tanzanite ring. When we took it to the store to get it cleaned I happened to see my dream engagement ring. When I pointed it out to him he went back to have the salesperson write down the all of the details of the ring. He carried it in his wallet for three years before proposing with it :)

63 Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny January 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I recently found your blog after someone posted a link on twitter about your posts on the Ragnar Relay and your engagement (I think Skinny Runner). Anyway, I’ve loved reading — it’s become a daily stop. And I LOVE weddings and wedding planning, and all mushy things, so I look forward to watching all of that unfold for you! All the best!
Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny recently posted..Baby C – 23 Weeks

64 BroccoliHut January 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm

What a nice story!! The ring means so much more when there’s such a history there.
The stone in my ring is from Seth’s great-grandmother. All I know is that she had two sisters (just like me!) and her name was Lena. (I’ve already called dibs on using that name for our future children…but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here). I’ve been leaving Seth heavy hints for the past year or so about what kind of ring I wanted–I left pictures ripped from magazines in his wallet, and I signed e-mails with “PS My ring size is a 5.” I know, I’m so subtle.

Anyway, you have a beautiful ring, and I am SO glad you love it!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Edamame Barley Risotto

65 Bri January 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I love this story! So cute! :)

The only significance of my ring is that my husband picked it out completely on his own. We knew we’d get married someday, but I was only 22, had just started law school, and hadn’t even considered the idea of being proposed to, let alone thought about a ring! The one he surprised me with couldn’t have been more perfect for me. Apparently when you are with someone for almost 10 years you become in tune with their style!

66 Alaina January 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm

What a great story! And great fiance to remember what kind you liked. :-)

My husband and I just went to the jewelry store and he let me pick out my ring: three diamond engagement ring. It’s perfect. :-)
Alaina recently posted..One Step Closer

67 theswanin.me January 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Awwwww I cannot wait for the 3 generations of rings together picture!!!

My original ring was going to be a princess cut solitaire set from Walmart. (Hey- we had a budget!! LOL) But I found a emerald cut ruby ring with diamond accents at JCPenny’s for a steal!! Ruby is my birthstone and I fell in love with it. After time marched on I kinda wanted a “real” diamond as I had never had one. I found a nice .25 carat solitaire at Sears that we wanted to buy. As luck would have it they had a jacket on clearance with 4 diamonds in the same round shape that matched it perfectly for about another .24 carats. I love it!! It is simple but still has a great amount of sparkle. I work in the cash handling field so I didn’t want anything to large.

Hubby is still in his original wedding ring as he is HARD to shop for size wise. He has long thin fingers with big knuckles- he wears a size 5 ring. Yeahhhh LOL
theswanin.me recently posted..A few randoms

68 Annie January 20, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Hurray for sapphires! My engagement ring is also a sapphire. It’s a cornflower blue sapphire, so it’s a lighter blue. My SO asked me if I had my heart set on a diamond solitaire back when we were dating and I said “no.” Most of the girls I knew at the time all had one of three ring designs – which was boring to me. I also told him I liked more intricate filigree patterns. He couldn’t find one anywhere, so he designed one working with a jeweler he found on etsy. I love my ring, both because he designed it, and nobody else has one like it. :)

69 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I love that story! He is so sweet for remembering that!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

70 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 20, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Great story! My husband actually bought an engagement ring but later returned it because he found out I didn’t like that style. When he finally did propose he had a ring that was totally me. I love it still after 10 years of marriage!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..All The Small Things

71 Liz @ runbakerace January 20, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Such a sweet story :) I love sapphires as well and have them in my wedding band. A lot of people told me that I would regret having color in my band but I love love LOVE it. It’s unique and very me.

72 Melissa @TryingtoHeal January 20, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I have only one request about my ring: NO GOLD COLOR. I hate it with a passion…which makes me sad to say because my parents and grandparents love the color…i’m such a bad child!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Side Notes: Dysmorphia by Sarah

73 Army Amy* January 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Sounds like Derek hit it out of the park! It’s all very romantic. I love reading about other people in love – it brightens my day!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Down, Down, Down

74 Katherine January 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

My ring is also a sapphire set in platinum. I actually have the sapphire as the vented stone with diamonds inlaid on the band which is carved with leaves. My husband designed it himself. The only thing that matters about an engagement ring is that it’s special to the two of you. I treasure mine.

75 Heidi Nicole January 20, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Cute story… and I never liked it when my mom wanted me to wear pink and lace. I think I hated the lace more than the color.

When we went ring shopping {yes, we went together} I started out wanted a low, simple ring. I didn’t even require stones. I just wanted a ring that wouldn’t get in the way – I think the farm girl was making that decision. I actually ended up with a very tall, detailed ring with about 10 diamonds in it…and I even picked it out! I never expected to have such a fancy ring but I love it and still regularly get compliments on it! Although I do tend to tear open rubber gloves and scratch myself/others if I’m not extra careful!
Heidi Nicole recently posted..Finally! A Powder Day at Breck!

76 Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full January 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm

That’s such a great story!

We also went ring shopping together, to get an idea of what we both liked. The ring he chose was perfect, but he still surprised me by asking a LOT sooner than I ever expected, after dating for only 8 months. But now we’ve been married for almost six years, so I guess it worked out for the best!
Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full recently posted..Festive for Friday…To Do Lists and Colored Pens

77 Dione January 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm

What a great story! Love it!

78 ~Jessica~ January 21, 2012 at 7:42 am

Not that I have an engagement ring (if only – a boyfriend first would be nice!) but if I did, I’d have to have something onyx-related, because I absolutely adore anything so dark and beautiful…to me the stone looks as if it’s made of shadows.

I can’t imagine a more romantic story than yours though. Thank you for sharing it!

xxx
~Jessica~ recently posted..Not So Good

79 kate January 21, 2012 at 8:38 am

what a wonderful story! you got a great man right there!!
kate recently posted..Commuting Craziness

80 Lee January 21, 2012 at 9:16 am

My husband said the same thing – I would have too much to drink and tell him in detail what sort of ring I wanted. Umm, oops? At least I got what I liked!
Lee recently posted..Bribed With Cookies

81 Jaclyn January 21, 2012 at 9:46 am

Awwww, love it! Your ring is stunning and I love sapphire engagement/wedding jewelry too. My engagement ring is a solitaire diamond and my wedding band is shared-prong diamonds – exactly what I wanted. I never told my hubby what I liked, but I distinctly remember showing my roommate the ring I wanted online, a few months before I got engaged. She, however, never told hubby what I liked. He picked out the same ring that I wanted, but didn’t buy it because he wasn’t sure (the boy needed more confidence; he always knows exactly what I like but sometimes he needs to be reminded). Then he proposed and took me to pick out the ring; I picked out my ring and he said, “That’s exactly what I was going to buy you.” Great minds think alike!
Jaclyn recently posted..Salisbury Cathedral

82 Juani January 23, 2012 at 4:34 am

My engagement ring was actually my mom’s.After she had her first 3 children (I’m the 4th child) her fingers sort of grew a little,permanently,and she couldn’t wear her original wedding and engagement rings anymore.Since my mom is not a jewellery type of person,she didn’t get new rings,but kept the originals in a safe in their bedroom.

Fast forward about 25 years, and we get to 2007,the year my dad passed away.After that happened,my boyfriend and I started talking about our futures and such,but neither of us was close to ready to getting married.But I did tell him that I wanted to have my mom’s ring as my engagement ring,someday,if he ever proposed ;) It’s such an old school,classic ring,and most importantly,it has extreme sentimental value for me (it’s the ring my dad chose for the love of his life – which made me feel very close to my dad,in some small way).

We went on with life as usual,and on October 1,2011, my senior class had our 10 year reunion.My best friend and our men were ready to party the night away and have fun,and little did I know that my boyfriend would get up in front of all those strangers, and propose to me in the sweetest way possible.What makes it even better,is that while doing his whole speech on the mic,in front of everyone,he didn’t stutter once,even though he is a major stutterer the rest of the time.I was completely stunned,and think I was in a bit of shock,because as soon as he went down on his knees,I burst into tears and couldn’t stop crying.

We’re getting married on September 29,2012, about 2 months before our 7 year anniversary of being together and this ring of mine (which is celebrating it’s 40th year of tying loved ones together) will be there to symbolize not just my and my fiancé’s love,but also the love my parents shared.

And some day,I hope to have a daughter to pass the ring onto,so that the love can be multiplied even more.

83 Katie January 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm

What a sweet story behind the sapphires!

My husband and I went shopping for rings together (I know, how unromantic of us). We tried on a bunch of different styles and designers, and I was able to narrow it down to pretty specific details on what I liked the most. Then, I sat back and tried my best not to pry…and let him buy it on his own time/decide when he was giving it to me…haha! He ended up picking out the exact style I had wanted (but thought was out of our price range), so it was a very lovely surprise… :)
Katie recently posted..Capella Ixtapa: Dinner Time

84 Sarah January 26, 2012 at 3:44 pm

That is great that he asked and remembered!!! I brought it up to my fiance when a friend got engaged a few years ago (when I knew we weren’t there, I told him that too).

My main criteria is I wanted the diamond protected and that it wouldn’t get caught on things. Honestly, I got lucky (or its fate), I got my fiance’s great aunt’s ring. It’s an art deco basket setting and its perfect.

85 Ann Marion February 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I’m just finding out now! (Okay, I can, last semester of university is slowly killing my Google Reader) I’ve been reading your blogs since just after you started, and I’m so happy for you! I can’t wait to see you plan your wedding.

We have my ring picked out, but since we’re living on opposite sides of the country for another 18 months or so, it’ll probably be a while before I get it. Hopefully it’s still available by then! I wish it had my birthstone in it somewhere for some color, but if not, it’s still gorgeous. Yours is beautiful and I love how he made a note of it and kept it for so long! He’s certainly a keeper!

86 Samantha February 3, 2012 at 2:17 pm

What a lovely story. I love that he put a not in his phone. Too sweet.
Samantha recently posted..Winter is Staying….

87 Samantha February 3, 2012 at 2:17 pm

That was *note*. Woops.

88 Alane Jewel December 7, 2012 at 11:39 am

I recently found your blog, what a great share. I also thought a sapphire engagement ring would be perfect, love non traditonal options and the beauty of the color of a gemstone, I think its so much more meaningful to have intention behind the symbol of your love and commitment: http://www.brilliantearth.com/news/gemstone-engagement-rings/

89 Lauren January 9, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Stumbled upon this post really, really late, but just wanted to say how much I love the story behind your engagement ring! My engagement ring is sapphire, also (in the vein of Princess Diana’s ring), and I absolutely love having a ring that doesn’t look just like everyone else’s.

My dad gave my mother a sapphire engagement ring nearly 40 years ago, and I guess that had an impact on me — I’ve loved sapphires ever since I was a little girl. My fiance was (evidently) aware of this! Interestingly, I don’t remember having ever actually mentioned this to him! We’d never even discussed rings. :)