One Calm Pup

by Meghann on January 19, 2012

Know how to instantly calm a jump-crazy, happy-go-lucky JRT?

Take her to the vet. Works like a charm every time.

Look at that face. Does this look like the face of someone who doesn’t know what’s going on here?

Maddie had her follow up appointment with the vet this morning. Remember how she was having problems gnawing at her paws? The vet diagnosed her with seasonal allergies and recommended an allergy pill that I wasn’t comfortable giving her. After discussing further options, my vet and I agreed to try some home remedies first. I purchased baby wipes and began wiping her feet off every time she came inside, we switched her food (though the vet still doesn’t believe it was a food allergy), and I avoided walking her in areas with high grass or lots of flowers.

It took some time, but I could tell Maddie was gnawing at her paws less and less. Every once in a while I’ll catch her licking, but her feet are looking less red and some fur is starting to grow back in. The vet agreed – her feet were in much better shape than they were previously and he told me to keep doing what we’re doing. Sweet!

Maddie got lots of treats for being so good and a full massage and scratch while we were there. The only hiccup was what has now become her regular leaving of ‘presents’ in the waiting area. I don’t know why, but Maddie loves to mark her territory there. Luckily it’s a tiled floor and the sweet assistants hardly bat an eye when I request paper towels to clean-up the mess. I’m just going to hope it’s a regular occurrence and Maddie isn’t some freak dog who loves to do her business in the vet’s office (even if I swear she just went outside an hour before!).

Maddie was also very excited to show off the new FSU leash I ordered her off of Amazon.

Derek wasn’t a fan of walking her with the pink leash (pshhhhh), so I got one I knew he would be proud to walk her with. Go Noles! πŸ˜‰

Derek is working from home today and was making eggs on the griddle when I walked in the door. I decided to steal his idea and popped two ‘eggs-in-a-basket’ on the griddle for my own lunch.

Flip!

Easy to flip eggs-in-a-basket is just another reason why I love our new griddle. Love. Love. Love. πŸ™‚

I topped the eggs-in-a-basket with some of last night’s leftover black eye peas.

The combination was perfect, especially with the runny yolk in the middle. The bean juices seeped into the toast, making it extra flavorful and delicious.

Left over brussels sprouts to round out the plate.

Not only was my lunch good, but it was filling! The mix of fiber and protein filled me up!

Happy National Popcorn Day!

As I mentioned earlier in the week, I’ve partnered with Orville Redenbacher’s for their Smart Snacking campaign. And I’m not the only one – Bernie Salazar from the 5th season of Biggest Loser has teamed up with Orville in the name of popcorn.

Bernie Salazar.jpeg

I’m an on-again/ off-again Biggest Loser fan. Some seasons I’m really into it, while others I just don’t have the time to watch. However, Bernie’s season – the 5th season – was one of my favorites because it was the FIRST season that I actually tuned in every week and followed the contestants to the end. It was also the season I watched when I first started losing weight back in 2008 so, to me, it was the most inspirational.

A few other bloggers and I had a chance to chat on the phone with Bernie last week and, I have to say, he’s just as personable and adorable on the phone as he appears on tv. He’s so full of life and really took his journey through Biggest Loser and beyond to heart. His new found passion for exercising and eating right just oozes out of his words and actions. I love that his journey and passion didn’t end at the ranch, it’s something that continues to this day.

bernie-salazar.jpg

We had a great chat about his current workout regiment (he’s a big believer in ‘fun fitness’ and thinking outside of the box when it comes to staying active, as am I), his struggles with weight loss maintenance after the show (he did regain some of the weight post-Biggest Loser, but still maintains a good portion of his 100+ lb weight loss), running (he challenged us all to a half marathon in the near future – I am sooooo there), and his love for popcorn (gotta get that shout out in there! πŸ˜‰ ). He definitely made me a fan!

Bernie agreed to not only answer all of my questions, but yours as well! If you have any questions for the former Biggest Loser at-home winner, please leave them in the comments below! I’ll collect all of the questions and send them to Bernie in Chicago, where he PROMISED to answer the questions in a personal video chat.

So, what questions do you have for Bernie? Leave them below!

1 Kathy January 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

How about that…our dog had the same issue last spring/summer…her paws were so red/itchy/dry and sore….we tried a lot of stuff and we are almost positive it was directly related to the Scott’s lawn fertilizer we were using on our lawn.

We are in MN so since October the lawn has turned brown and is now pretty much frozen. The fur has completely grown back…nice and white again…no itching/biting/licking and suffering!! Whew!

Although, kind of nervous to see what happens this spring again…although, we will be researching lawn products or not using any at all this year. Hello dandelions! πŸ˜‰
Kathy recently posted..other years….

2 Cait's Plate January 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Mmmm now you’ve got me craving eggs! I LOVED Bernie! He was one of my favorites on that season πŸ™‚

I would ask him what he’s doing to maintain and how hard the transition from the BL campus to real life REALLY was!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..White Blanket

3 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm

glad to hear that Maddie is on the mend!!!

and love that eggy lunch!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..The power of pancakes

4 Mac January 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I just got an Orville air popper for Christmas and I love it! I just need to figure out how to season it so the flavor “sticks” to the popcorn without soaking it in butter.
Mac recently posted..It Was Inevitable… DOMS

5 this fit chick January 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

ahhh you get to talk to him too! so is Julie! i LOVED Bernie!! I want some black eyed peas- they are hard to find in the UK!
this fit chick recently posted..Exercise: How to do it Properly- Fat Loss Edition

6 Brie January 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Milhouse pees on the vet’s floor all the time. For him it’s a submissive thing.
Last time we took our cat to the vet she pooped all over the carrier on the ride home, then walked around and laid down in it. I’m glad Tim had to handle that one.
Brie recently posted..My first double under

7 Chloe (In Fine Feather) January 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

My roommate’s dog had the same issue & we figured out it was allergies as well. Glad to hear Maddie isn’t chewing her paws as much!

8 Courtney January 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Now I reeeeally want some popcorn! πŸ˜€
Courtney recently posted..Oh, How Pinteresting!

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

2 questions for Bernie: 1) How much time do they spend working with physical therapists to keep from getting injured (icing, stretching, etc) and 2) do they get to listen to music when working out? especially running or ellipticalling!

10 Jane January 19, 2012 at 3:50 pm

My sister’s dog has allergies and she does the same things – wipe feet etc! Glad Maddie is less itchy! And how fun that you get to interview him! Excited to see what he has to say!
Jane recently posted..Fancy Food Show.

11 Silvia @ skinny jeans food January 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Isn’t it always funny when our pets tell us when they “are pissed” or say “I find this situation really sh—y” ? πŸ™‚

Good that home remedies work for Maddie!

12 shan January 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm

good to hear maggie is feeling better! my dog also had a couple of bouts with the gnawing and my vet was very thorough and we came to the ultimate conclusion that she was using the gnawing as a coping mechanism when she wanted attention! she gets A TON of attention from both my husband and i, but we first noticed after we got married. i think all of the planning and disruption of her normal schedule affected her as well. maybe in maggie’s case she’s adjusting to her (semi) new environment with derek?

(i realize it sounds semi crazy to suggest that a marriage, move, or relationship affects your pet in ways you may not notice, but this was really the one thing that made sense after all the testing!)

13 shan January 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm

gah, maDDie πŸ˜‰

14 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 9:52 am

I don’t think so. We’ve lived here for almost a year and the gnawing only started in November. She does love spending time with Derek though, in fact she’s in the bedroom sleeping next to him right now.

15 Lizzy January 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm

My question to Bernie, is how he stays active in the winter time? I know in chicago it gets very cold like it does here in michigan, and for someone who might not have a gym membership or access to a free gym what would he recommend to stay active during the color months when its not always reasonable to run outdoors (my favorite activity)

16 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

Ha! That’s a great question. I know that someone had the same question on our phone chat, so it’s something on a lot of people’s minds. I don’t 100% remember his answer, so I’ll make sure this one is at the top! πŸ™‚

17 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I want to know how he handles any overeating/lack of exercise now that the show is done? How does he encourage himself and get back on track?

I am glad Maddie is doing better! I want a new leash for my puppy too, but until he learns not to chew it up we will be sticking with the original plain red! lol
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Fishy Situation

18 Vanessa January 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

BL Season 5 was the first season I watched too. BTW, I never would have thought to put beans on “eggs in a basket,” but it does sound good. You and Caitlin are the queens of random, but delicious meals! =)

19 Summer January 19, 2012 at 4:43 pm

another thing to help with licking/chewing on paws is to give her a human omega 3 supplement, like fish oil capsules. The Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids help the cell membranes maintain fluidity and transport moisture more effectively, leading to less dermatitis in general. This is particularly important in dogs with sensitive skin or allergies πŸ™‚

I was an animal science major- nice to know ASCI 420: Applied Nonruminant Nutrition was good for something!

20 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

Thanks! I know someone else has suggested the fish oil tablets as well – I just need to get some and try it.

21 Life's a Bowl January 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Now I’m craving some eggs/ bfast for dinner!
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..C Land

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Mmmmm EGGS! I love me some eggs!

23 BroccoliHut January 19, 2012 at 6:07 pm

You’re making me want to register for a griddle!

24 Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets January 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I just got a new griddle for my new 5 burner stove (with the long burner in the middle). I get to test it out tomorrow. I will definitely be making this on Sunday morning. Sooooooo good.
Cara @ I Don’t Believe in Diets recently posted..January 2, 2012 – Add a Little Extra

25 Sloane @ My Life in Florida January 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Reading your Tribute to Abbie made me cry. πŸ™ I had a similar thing happen with my dog, and it brought back so many memories. I do not blame you for being nervous about giving it to her. Have you try regular (human) Benadryl? My vet said I could give it to my dog when he was itchy from ant bites on his stomach. (It also works to calm dogs with storm anxiety)

26 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

The benadryl was another recommendation from the vet for when she has a really bad flare up next time. πŸ™‚

27 Sloane @ My Life in Florida January 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I’m not sure if it helps with the itching or just makes them sleepy. πŸ™‚ But it helped!
Sloane @ My Life in Florida recently posted..Bet you can’t guess what we had for dinner…

28 Sneakers2sandals January 19, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I’m too overwhelmed by the amount of things I want to respond to in that email.

1. Glad Maddie is ok πŸ™‚
2. Go gators !
3. I gotta try that eggs in a basket. I always hear about it!
4. My question would be how he plans to keep himself motivated after the moment in the spotlight wears off?!
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Going Bananas!

29 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 19, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Aww, glad to hear Maddie’s feet are doing better — and without the meds!
We’re taking our Mini Dachshund in for her check up tomorrow, so hopefully it calms her down too… πŸ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Veggie-tastic

30 Marty January 19, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I would love to know what his day was really like while on Biggest Loser. How many hours did they work out a day? We see bits and pieces of edited video, but I’m very curious as to how long they really work out to get double digit weight loss in 1 week.
Marty recently posted..Chick Pea (Garbanzo) Snickerdoodle Blondies

31 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family January 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm

My husband and I were just talking this morning how our griddle is probably our most used wedding gift! We use it at least a couple times a week!
I am with you and sometimes get so into the biggest loser and other seasons I just can’t. I think 2 hours is a little long and they should put less filler in there. So cool you get to interview Bernie, he is so cute!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..BOB or no BOB?

32 Ellen January 19, 2012 at 11:10 pm

So glad you decided to change her food to something grain free! It made a huge difference for my dog.

33 Chelsea January 20, 2012 at 9:22 am

I would ask Bernie what aspect did he find the hardest to change in his lifestyle – the exercise or the diet? I know so many people that have differing opinions in that aspect and it’s really interesting when they say why that aspect is the hardest.
Chelsea recently posted..Amazing workout and an AMAZING day today! School and learning…

34 Emily January 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

Awe. I am so glad that Maddie’s paws are making progress. I think that is great!
Emily recently posted..A Brick (and I’m drowning slowly)…

35 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep January 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

Molly marks her territory at the kennel lobby and the vet lobby. I think it’s because she’s nervous. The staff never seem to mind though. They act like it happens all the time. She also gnaws at her feet, so I’m glad you posted this. I’ll have to try the baby wipes. Thanks!

I want to know if Bernie dated Brittany (his partner on the show), but you don’t have to ask him that πŸ˜‰

36 Meghann January 20, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I actually want to know that too! He mentioned something about his wife on the phone, but all my google searches didn’t bring any info up on who he was married to. lol

37 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep January 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I found it! http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20101110/NEWS/101119991
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Week One on Weight Watchers

38 Liz January 20, 2012 at 11:56 am

For Bernie: What’s the hardest part about transitioning from a controlled, weight loss environment to maintenance mode in “real life”?

I also echo Marty – I’d love to know what the days were really like!
Liz recently posted..The Forgotten Vegetable Salad

39 sarah January 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I love bernie! πŸ™‚ Eggs in a basket also sounds amazing right now. Glad you were able to help maddie without a pill !
sarah recently posted..Three Meals