Healthy As A Horse

by Meghann on January 17, 2012

Good news! My blood work was ‘near perfect.’ Woo hoo!

Cholesterol is good (140!), blood sugar is good, electrolytes are good, triglycerides are good, and what-ever else she said are all good. I believe the phrase is ‘healthy as a horse’? πŸ˜‰

There was one teeny, tiny blip on my test results in reference to my iron levels. It’s fairly common for women to test with low iron levels, but not me – mine were high. And I wasn’t the only one. My sister and my Dad’s iron levels tested high too. Dratz. This could mean absolutely nothing or it could be something hereditary.

I was asked if I take an iron supplement (I don’t – I can’t stomach them) then handed more paperwork to have more blood drawn to see what’s going on. She didn’t seem terribly worried and, after playing Dr. Google, I’m not worried either. This just means more blood needs to be taken and and I’ll eventually have to make my way over to Titusville for another follow-up appointment. No biggie.

I’m just happy all my other blood work came back great. That has to mean I’m doing something right. πŸ˜‰

I hit the gym before my appointment and had a nice 2-mile speed session on the treadmill before starting New Rules of Lifting For Women Stage 6B.

In all of the other stages of NROLFW, the A & B workouts are fairly similar. Same length, same rep set-up, and same pattern of sets. Stage 6 is the first where this isn’t true. Stage 6A was fairly short with a heavy focus on arms and a constant A workout and alternating B & C workouts. Stage 6B is a bit longer, varying set patterns, and only alternating A & B workouts. Out of the two, I think I prefer 6B. They were all new moves and I really enjoyed the dumbbell push and press move.

I held off on breakfast after my workout because I knew Sunrise Bakery was right down the street from the Doctor’s office.

After my short 8:00am appointment, I stopped in for an orange date scone (my favorite!) and a vanilla Oikos.

The yogurt was like a smear for my scone. Ten times better than the alternative butter of cream cheese if you ask me. πŸ˜‰

I have some work to do before i head back to Tampa this afternoon. I’m so ready to be home. I miss my puppy and my fiance (!!) too much!

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

1 Kat @ Balance & Spice January 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

So glad to hear your healthy, and I really doubt (in my experience) that your high iron will be too big a deal. What a great way to start the day, right?
Kat @ Balance & Spice recently posted..Not Your Grandma’s Meatballs

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

Always good to know you’re doing something right! And I want that scone!! πŸ™‚
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Museum of Aviation Marathon Recap

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

Glad to hear you’re healthy Meghann! πŸ™‚ Happy Tuesday to you too!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Reader’s Request: Portion Control

4 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

That scone looks delicious! Have a great day, Meghann!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Tune-in Tuesday: Power Song!

5 Sana January 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

Getting blood taken is always scary happy to hear that you are healthy!

6 Chloe (In Fine Feather) January 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

Good to hear you’re blood work is fine! I definitely need to get myself checked out – including a trip to the dermatologists since I’m very fair & have lots of freckles & I just know this Southern sun is doing damage πŸ˜‰
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..Strength Training Routine

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 17, 2012 at 9:32 am

congrats on the good bill of health! and that scone looks delicious!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Protein Party!

8 Courtney January 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

Yum, that scone looks amazing! πŸ˜€

9 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 17, 2012 at 9:49 am

It’s always nice to get great results after a doc appointment! I’ve always heard the phrase with a mule instead of a horse, but the horse sounds way better lol.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Drumroll Please

10 Sneakers2Sandals January 17, 2012 at 10:01 am

Ohh I love scones! That one looks delish.

Yey for good blood work results! I guess it’s a side effect of being so in shape and such a healthy eater πŸ™‚
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Bachelor Ben wears Lululemon…

11 Shannon @ Mon Amour January 17, 2012 at 10:10 am

So glad everything is okay! I have been getting blood work for years to monitor my basic metabolic functions. It is really nice to see what I am doing right and what I need to improve on
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Back To It

12 Cait's Plate January 17, 2012 at 10:21 am

Gah! How fun is it to get to say finance?!?! I’m pretty sure when I get engaged I’m not going to be able to resist throwing it in whenever I can πŸ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Chocolate Chip Coffee Muffins

13 Rachel January 17, 2012 at 10:33 am

I love when bakeries have racks and racks of fresh-baked pastries lined up at the front of the store, instead of putting a few in a display case and hiding the rest. It makes me want to buy one of everything though!
Rachel recently posted..January Goals: Spin Class

14 Christina January 17, 2012 at 10:36 am

You might try a whole foods iron supplement. It settles a little better in the stomach and it’s not always necessary to take it with food, although it’s still recommended.
Christina recently posted..Emeril Lagasse’s Apple-of-My-Eye Crisp

15 Meghann January 17, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Since my iron was high, she recommended not taking a supplement.

16 Christina January 17, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Oh, oops. I misread that part.

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 17, 2012 at 10:43 am

It’s always good when your tests come back normal, so YAY! I wish I could say the same for myself lately but I’m working on it and soon I’ll be healthy as a horse too! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I Just Want to Write

18 Wendy January 17, 2012 at 10:48 am

My husband has high iron levels, too. He’s just supposed to donate blood on a regular basis. πŸ™‚

19 Meg at January 17, 2012 at 10:51 am

I once was stomped on by a horse when I was wearing flip-flops (came back to the barn I worked at after hours just to pick someone up and got roped into helping… bad idea). I went down to the ER to get it x-rayed just to be sure, and when the nurse was asking if I was otherwise in good health, I responded with “healthy as a horse!” and no one thought it was funny…
So now I can’t hear that line without laughing at myself for the terrible joke.

Glad to hear that you are, in fact, healthy as a horse!!
Meg at recently posted..Base Training: Week 2

20 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe January 17, 2012 at 11:02 am

Mmmmm I love that Vanilla Oikos! Glad to hear you’re healthy as a horse! πŸ™‚
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Cabin Fever 5k Recap + Girls’ Night Out #1 of 2012!

21 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

Even though you know you eat well and take care of yourself, it’s always nice to be reassured that your health is in order! If the only thing your doctor found was a high iron level, then I would definitely take that as a blessing. πŸ™‚
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Sweet & Sour Decision, Part 2

22 deva at deva by definition January 17, 2012 at 11:45 am

I hope everything turns out to be okay.

When I finished NROLW, I went out and bought NROL. I worked through almost all the programs in it – it has differerent ones for strength, hypertrophy, fat loss, etc, and all offer their own unique challenges. It definitely kept me busy – and still does! I just thought I’d throw that out there. Because of the different programs within it, you can almost design a program mixing and matching to suit your goals.
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Vlogging my Training: Week Two

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 17, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Wahoo!! Better to have higher levels of iron than too low–too low and you’d never be able to run so much πŸ˜‰

GOod for you!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Protein Breakfast Patties

24 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Glad to see the results were all good! I know that must be a huge relief!

25 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 17, 2012 at 12:41 pm

My iron levels were high when I was tested last year too and I got a similar response of “don’t worry”. I don’t think the rest of my family has high iron (actually, anemia is more common in my family) and I don’t take a supplement either. I haven’t had any problems from it so far, I’ll be curious to see what the numbers look like when I go back in March too.
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..How To Fuel Your Running (Part 1) + Tuesday Trainer

26 Emily January 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Hooray for having healthy bloodwork!
Emily recently posted..Rainy morning- blarg

27 Kelsey January 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Hey Megan! I have high iron levels too (my dad has hemochromitosis, which is hereditary) and I found out I have the defective C282Y gene from both my parents that makes my body absorb more iron then normal, which if ignored can lead to hemochromitosis. It doesn’t have anything to do with your diet, which was my concern since I don’t eat a lot of red meat. All that I have to do it donate blood on a regular basis and it helps to keep my iron and feratin levels in check. Not a big deal, but also good to know!

28 Molly January 17, 2012 at 4:26 pm

What is a docter’s office??

29 Jamie January 17, 2012 at 10:27 pm

What’s a passive aggressive comment??

30 Molly January 17, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Oh, I see you fixed it. You’re welcome.

31 Kelly January 18, 2012 at 1:10 am

This may be too personal, but I’ve always wondered now that you’re blogging full-time what do you do about health care/health insurance. It’s not really just a question for you but for bloggers in general. I’ve always thought a freelance lifestyle could be appealing but when I look at how much buying your own health insurance costs it seems insane. Then again, I lived in a state for awhile where it was mandatory to have it (or you would get a $500 fine on your taxes) so it was really never an option to do without.
Kelly recently posted..Chicken with Apple Balsamic Cream Sauce

32 Kelly January 18, 2012 at 1:11 am

And that said, I’ve always gotten weirdly geeked out when I get good cholesterol scores. I used to semi-compete with my sister to see whose would be lower. So juvenile and stupid but also so satisfying.
Kelly recently posted..Chicken with Apple Balsamic Cream Sauce

33 Meghann January 18, 2012 at 8:37 am

Insurance has always been a tricky issue. I recently switched to a different insurance company with ties to my hometown, which is why I had to trek there for the bloodwork. When I went fulltime I reached out to a lot of other bloggers that were a lot of help when it came to getting insurance.