more ยป" />

What I’ve Been Doing Differently

by Meghann on January 16, 2012

Back in October I wrote about how unhappy I was with a recent weight gain I had experienced. My pants were tighter, the scale was up, and I just wasn’t a fan of how I felt about it.

This could have gone one or two ways. I could have kept doing what I was doing – letting my pants get tighter and tighter, and feeling sorry for myself along the way – OR I could do something about it. I could re-evaluate my diet, see where I was lacking in the exercise department, and make a few changes that would leave me feeling better about my body and myself.

I went with option #2. I’m a big believer that if you’re unhappy about something, then DO something about it.

First things first, i bought new pants!

IMAG0968.jpg

No sense being uncomfortable in jeans that no longer fit. I bought a size larger and could not have been happier with my new purchase. Not only did they feel better, but they LOOKED better too. It’s crazy how much of a difference slightly larger well-fitting jeans make over smaller, not-so-well fitting jeans. Yes, I could technically still fit in the smaller jeans, but they weren’t doing me any favors.

Next, I made some changes in my diet. No fad ‘diets’ here, just back to the basics.

My hunger was out. of. control. while I was training for my half ironman and, well, I was training for a half ironman – I could eat anything I wanted, right? Wrong! Yes, I was burning calories, but not enough to justify those 2-3 times a week trips to self-serve frozen yogurt.

I was surviving on carbs during half ironman training. Empty carbs that tasted so good at the time, but weren’t helping with all the uncontrollable hunger I was experiencing. I had to get back to basics with real food and portion control.

Greek yogurt became a new staple in the morning and a higher protein count at breakfast became a focus instead of an after thought. I still enjoyed my big bowls of cereal, but only once a week. I traded my afternoon granola bars in for handfuls of nuts or fresh veggies and hummus. My extra-large dinners were brought down in size as I consumed my bulkier meals for breakfast, lunch, and my snack. My meals were full of vegetables again.

Eating at home became a priority. Derek and I limited our meals out to once or twice a week and when we did eat out I stuck with as real food as I could and cut back on the french fries I had made a habit of ordering regularly again. Fresh steamed veggies, side salads, and a lean protein were what I was after.

Dessert, oh dessert!, was not forgotten, but definitely brought in. Smaller portions were still enjoyed nightly and (sadly) self-serve yogurt has once again become a everyone-once-in-a-blue-moon treat instead of a weekly requirement (this was a biggie).

And then there was the exercise.

As crazy as it sounds, I felt like I immediately dropped 5 pounds as soon as my half ironman was over. It was like my body was hanging on to all of the extra weight just to see me through that race. As soon as I cut back on cycling and swimming and re-shifted my main focus back to just running and weight lifting, it was as if the weight melted off. My out-of-control hunger stopped when I cut back as well. I’m sure that helped.

I started the New Rules of Lifting for Women program back in May and followed the program through my half ironman training, but it wasn’t until after my race that I saw the most dramatic results. It’s debatable whether that shift has more to do with diet changes (see above) or the plan itself, but when I was able to just focus on weights – and not worry about being sore for training – I began to feel more confident in the weight room and really push myself. You can see a break down of my results here.

NROLFWUpdateStage3.jpg

The little things really added up.

When I worked in an office I would take the three stories of stairs to get to my office every day, sometimes two to three times a day. I also lived in a second story apartment and was constantly taking those stairs up and down to take Maddie out, check the mail, take out the trash, etc. Up and down. Up and down.

When I moved – and started working from home – i missed out on a lot of the little things. I would stay seated at my kitchen table and not move for hours at a time. Maddie would only get a quick walk to the mailbox and back and living in an attached home, meant there were no stairs to go up and down. Derek would come home from work and all I would want to to do would be to snuggle with him on the couch and not move an inch.

I wanted to re-introduce some of the little things back in my life. I couldn’t come up with stairs to go up and down, but I could extend Maddie’s walks. Instead of taking her halfway down the street to the mailbox, I started making a full 1/2 mile circle around the block. Walking that 1/2 mile circle three times a day added an extra 1.5 miles of movement to my daily routine. Maddie also got some extra play time and nightly dance parties in the kitchen while making dinner became the norm.

Those weren’t the only little things. Upping my water intake, finally establishing a routine of remembering to take my daily vitamins, and saying no to ‘free food’ (aka free samples) at the grocery store were little changes that added up.

Here we are in January and the one-size-larger pants I bought back in October are now one size too big. The jeans that were growing tighter and tighter? Now fit just fine. On Friday night I wore an old pair of pants I hadn’t been able to wear in a year and felt great in them. I didn’t even need to unbutton them after our great meal was over!

This wasn’t a huge weight loss, there were no crazy inches lost and I wouldn’t consider myself overweight before or super tiny now, this was just me realizing my pants were getting tighter and wanting to make a change before it got too late. :)

If you’re unhappy with something, then DO something about it. Don’t sit back and hope everything works itself out. Take control and GO!

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Great post, Meghann!

Your confidence shows in the writing of this post as well as that last picture, especially. Well done in being a great positive and REALISTIC role model.

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 16, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Great post! I’m kind of in the same boat right now too – I feel like when I am training for a race, all other sorts of exercise besides running and the occasional strength training day gets put to the side. I tend to beef up during trainings, so right now I’m focusing on making myself lean once again!

3 Emily @LivingLongfellow January 16, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Love this. Great job taking control of something that felt out of control. I have been feeling that way this week, where I’ve been bloated and just extra fluffy feeling. I’m also working on revamping my diet, and also trying to make sure I’m running 5x a week.

4 Corrie @ Blurb Column January 16, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I need to do this. My pants are tighter after the holidays, and though I lost 20 lbs last year, I need to lose 20 more (at least) this year. I was just telling Chris last night, though, that when I feel like I have been making changes and still nothing is happening I start to feel frantic in my brain that I have to do something DRASTIC right NOW to lose weight YESTERDAY. Ugh. I hate that feeling. I eat pretty well, but know I could do better. I exercise, but not enough. This struggle is….such a struggle! :(

5 Meghann January 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Lose that mindset. Right now! Just take it one day – one decision – at a time. If you put too much pressure on losing weight, then you’re just going to work yourself up on it. Just remember you are beautiful and that Rome wasn’t built in a day. Good luck on your journey. I’m rooting for you. :)

6 Anne January 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’m feeling the same way! I moved to a new city where, I no longer live on the third floor, walk to work or the grocery store or meet my cousin at the gym at 6am! Plus, my long-distance boyfriend is now in the same city – so after-work spin classes gave way to dinner together. Truly the little things DO add up – Here’s to sweating the small stuff!

7 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident January 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Great Post! It reminds me to stay patient and focused. If I eat well and exercise I will get back to my healthy weight eventually. I just need to stop giving in to temptations so easily.

8 jana @ newly wife healthy life January 16, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for being so open Meghann! This is such a great way to look at health, weight loss and maintenance without going overboard. I too have felt my pants get a little tighter since my wedding just 3 months ago, and I plan on using a few of your tips to get back on track. I especially need to focus on more vegetables, less sweets, and more water!

9 Melissa January 16, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I LOVE this post! I find it so helpful and motivating – thank you (as always) for sharing. keep up the great work!

10 April B January 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Great post! I definitely agree that the little things add up. I actually have been a little too free with my eating and a little too lax in my workouts since my marathon in early December and it’s starting to catch up with me. I made a commitment this weekend that I need to focus on getting back to basics. I sort of started at the beginning of the year, but I’ve been snacking way too much. Thanks for the motivation and reminder that little things add up both positively and negatively!

11 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I love this–you took control and GOT ‘er done. Way to push the motivation to change something if it needs changing. Awesome job, girl!

12 ilovefetacheese January 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I could definitely tell you lost weight in your Ragnar relay photos! Keep up the great work – muscle building works for you :)!!

13 Sara @ RunnerWife January 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Great post! I have been complaining so much lately about what I feel is a weight gain. I have injured myself running and have been out of my normal routine for almost 3 weeks now…I need to take control again even if I’m not running and regain my confidence! I really needed this post today! Thanks Meghann!

14 Stacy January 16, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Meghann,

It is so funny that you posted this today. Just today, I took my true weight and measurements. I’ve been happily thinking my waist was inches smaller than it really is…and though some of my pants still fit, some of them don’t. I’ve gained 4 pounds in the past year, and though 125 sounds okay, I know I cannot continue to gain 4 pounds each year! Back to the gym and the basics of eating right for me. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Stacy

15 Amanda January 16, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Great post! I felt (feel) the same way and am slowing making changes to get back to the way I was. Luckily, my new job has me lifting 50 lb bags of carrots and playing with equal amounts of dough – so it’s kind of like working out. :) I also went to a new fitness class today and I hope it works out so I can continue going. Keep up the good work…ANDD…because Im super internet lazy now – CONGRATS!! So excited for you. Have fun planning your wedding!

16 michelle m. January 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm

i needed this today! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

17 jordan January 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Congratulations! I just started running again after almost 2 months not running due to runners knee and I have noticed a slight weight gain but everything fits the same. I have been doing a bit of weight training and I feel stronger even though the scale is up. I have decided to weigh myself a lot less and go with how I am feeling literally in my own skin. You are very inspiring. I appreciate how honest you are in you posts. Thanks!

18 kelly January 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for sharing. It is easy to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. I strive to fit back into old pairs of jeans all the time and this is the boost I needed to hear! Drinking water is easy for me, it is the afternoon snacking that really do me in. I like the idea of vegetable snacks, if you have any other favorites, do share! Good job and thanks for the upbeat attitude :)

19 Melissa January 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm

So true. I love this post! I think it’s possible to make these changes if you are unhappy. It takes discipline and patience but it is so very achievable and you totally proved that!

20 erica January 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm

i totally need to do this. a great example of how little things add up to a lot! great job!!! :)

21 Lauren January 16, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Hey Meghann,

Like you last year, my pants have all become tight on me and some do not even button! I have been telling myself to do something about it for a few months now and your post just made me realize that if I want my pants to fit again I actually have to do something about it (duh)! Great post!

- Lauren

22 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt January 16, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Your hair looks really good, I really like the sleak straight look alot on you! Congrats on your engagement the YouTube video was very touching to watch.

23 Emily January 16, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Good for you! I would venture to guess it was a combo of cutting back cardio, adding in MORE CONSISTENT lifting and of course more than any other thing, adjusting your diet again.

Good for you Meghann, way to be happy +healthy!

24 Lindsey January 16, 2012 at 2:34 pm

This is GREAT! thank you for being honest and providing some helpful tips for all of us!

25 Dori January 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I really like this post. I’ve been in the same place a few times (including right now) and it is always comforting to know that other people go through the exact same thing, right down to just wanting that snuggle time on the couch. I’m happy you were able to get back to feeling comfortable in such a self aware and logical way.

26 melissa (fitnessnyc) January 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm

great post meghann!

27 Liz January 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Great post – thanks for sharing. I love how small changes can really add up!

28 Megan @ Bump on a log learns to jog January 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I loved reading this post and I totally agree with you. I always tell my friends that you don’t have to make some huge life changing change and be on a diet your whole life to see results. It’s definitely the little things that help. My biggest downfall was always snacking after dinner. Now I try to have a piece of fruit with some plain greek yogurt on top to keep me full and one square of dark chocolate. I get my sweet that I need but I don’t overdo it anymore.

29 kate January 16, 2012 at 2:47 pm

this is a wonderful post! very inspiring! i’ve been following your blog for a few years, and have never commented but this post made me really want to….your blog is a joy to follow :) :)

30 Shanna, like Banana January 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Way to go girl! And excellent post. This happens to the best of us and we have to make up our minds to do something about it.

I’m now 19 days postpartum and ready to “do something” about my extra baby weight. It’s so hard being at home and not snacking, but that won’t get me where I want to be, so I’m reining it in and introducing more activity. Hopefully I’ll fit into my old jeans soon too ;)

31 Laurie January 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Great post!!! Thank you Meghann for sharing this, I need some inspiration!! :)

32 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for sharing! As you said, it’s the small things that can make a big difference. No crazy fad diets, no starving yourself or spending hours at the gym … just healthy living! :)

33 Jess January 16, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I love this post! I love hearing about your journey to lose just a few pounds and how you remained positive and just did what needed to be done.

34 Lara @TresLaLa to TinyLaLa January 16, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Great post! For many people, the small changes are what beget large changes. They DO add up! I struggle a bit with the New Years Resolution folks who decide to change everything about their eating & exercise plan on 1 day, then wonder, 7 or 14 days later, why they can’t stick to it.

35 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 16, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I remember reading that post, and commenting, and I had bought new jeans too … but I didn’t start doing something about it until recently and I’m glad I did too, although I’m not seeing differences yet, I know they’re coming and THANK YOU for sharing this because it gives me the reminder that I need not to give up on my drawer of pants that don’t currently fit

36 Samantha January 16, 2012 at 3:07 pm

What a great post. It was awesome timing too. This morning my boyfriend asked me this morning if I wanted to go get running shoes with him on Thursday. I have also gained a small amount of weight, but mostly I am just tired of feeling gross and tired. Thanks for your constant motivation.

37 Ashley January 16, 2012 at 3:09 pm

SUCH a great post! I’m a grad student and this past semester at school was INTENSE! I hardly had time for anything other than studying and the reduced quality foods I was eating and less workout time reflected in a 10lb. weight gain on the scale. Ugh! Then (happily), I found out I was preggers over the Christmas holiday, so now is really not a great time for me to try to loose any weight (obviously!) But, I still love this post because its such a great reminder that we can take control of our own lives & to not let a minor derailing permanently throw us off the path we want to be on. Post-pregnancy, I really hope that the healthy-living blogging community will help me regain that control & to get back to where I want to be again!

38 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 16, 2012 at 3:10 pm

This is such a timely post Meghann! After being injured twice in the past year, I am still hanging onto some weight that I gained while being sidelined. One of my goals in 2012 is to lose that weight and tone up.

A week ago, after I was done with the Disney 1/2, I started really started looking at what I was eating and wrote everything down- even random handfuls of cereal out of the pantry. So far, it has been really good for me because I now see what I am eating all written down in front of me.

In the past week I’ve focused on eating more vegetables and fruits, complex carbs, drinking more water,and watching my portion sizes with dessert. I haven’t lost any weight yet (and wasn’t expecting to), but my energy levels are back up.

Of course I worry that I will gain weight as I start triathlon training in a few weeks, but I’m hoping that by being mindful of what I am eating, that I will maintain my weight and not gain a lot like I seem prone to.

You look awesome Meghann! :)

39 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm

this sounds about like what I’m starting up now! the holidays (and a lot of M&Ms) were not so kind to the ways my jeans fit! Back to clean eating!

40 Kayla January 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Great! I really needed to read this today! Motivates me to get my booty in gear :)

41 Heather January 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

love it! you are so right about the little changes. I have been consistently weight lifting for a month now and while the scale is staying the same, I def. am getting more toned and defined muscles. I have also been forcing lots and lots of water which i think is helping too. You look great, girl!

42 ~Jessica~ January 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

You don’t give yourself enough credit – I can see a huge difference! You look absolutely stunningly amazing, and it just shows what dietary tweaks can do as opposed to faddy starvation regimes.

I struggle with my weight a lot – I have ‘Froyo Syndrome’ in that I use training as an excuse to overeat, particularly on sugar. Now I have a *third* stress fracture (I have terrible bone density :( ) I really have to watch my portions and slash my sugar consumption. I don’t think my extra weight has helped me at all with the pressure on my poor bones, and I can’t use being upset about not being able to run as an excuse to resort to emotional eating. It’s going to be so hard though…

Brilliant post <3

xxx

43 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Great post! I am starting to clean up my diet as well. After training for back-to-back marathons (extreme stress on my body), moving in with my boyfriend, working a desk job, and the holidays my jeans are all feeling a little snug. It’s nice to see that it worked for you, very inspirational :)

44 Cait's Plate January 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Congrats! You should be super proud that your small, manageable changes added up to make a comfortable difference :)

45 Hillary January 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Ditto to all of this. A few months ago, I was feeling gross and lethargic, and my clothes weren’t fitting right anymore. Instead of moping about it, I got my eats in check, put more effort into my workouts, and poof. Back into my favorite clothes. Incredible what a little motivation can do for you huh?! Congrats!

46 Brittany January 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Love this post Meghann. I’m in the same process of making small changes right now to get back to where I want to be as well! All of your suggestions are great.

47 Elisabeth January 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Love this post, Meghann! Thanks for sharing your struggles with us…and your successes :)

48 Caitlin January 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Thanks. This post kept me from eating a totally unnecessary bowl of ice cream at 3:30 in the afternoon because ‘I’m pregnant and I can.’

Needed that.

The ice cream can wait for tonight. :) Hah.

49 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 16, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Awesome job! It’s always the little things that add up (both good and bad), and it’s crazy to see how big of a change they can make over time.

50 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 16, 2012 at 3:40 pm

This is such an inspiring and relatable post. Congrats on all your progress. You look great! It’s so true that making small, simple changes can really add up and set you up for success when it comes to the bigger changes. Way to go!!

51 Amanda January 16, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I really appreciate this post – too often when I notice that I’m probably up a few lbs, I freak out and want to fix it immediately. This is mentally unhealthy (and unrealistic)! Thanks for the reminder, you look great!

52 Nikki January 16, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Great Post Meghann! It is easy for us not-as-fit-bloggers to think you are always are perfect, and never have to work on watching your weight… it is great to see your account of maintaining your fit physique! …and the fact you have to, despite your great activity levels, and keeping track of all your food intake! Keeps things in perspective for us who think we can lose and not worry any more…

53 Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets January 16, 2012 at 4:00 pm

This is a very inspirational post. I love how straight forward you are about it. I am very much like this in general too. Thanks for being so honest.

54 Genna January 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Great post! You are so right, instead of thinking of other excuses you did what needed to be done. I hope to take your thought process with me :)

55 Allison January 16, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Congrats, that’s AWESOME! Thanks for sharing… I think we all could use a little motivation to make some healthier changes and choices in our daily lives!

56 Theodora January 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Love this! And you’re looking great.

57 BroccoliHut January 16, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Way to go Meghann! I will definitely use some of your tips, as I’ve gained a few since entering grad school. Amazing how much of a difference all that walking in undergrad made…here’s to a more active 2012:)

58 Jocelyn January 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Great work!! It’s the small decisions every day that make all the difference! It’s also very true that too small pants/jeans will make you look worse than ones that fit.

I love your long hair!!

59 kalli January 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm

oh girl! you are wise beyond your years…..seriously you have so much knowledge compared to most. i have noticed you have leaned out and you look fabulous. i always say find something you love and do it everyday and eat to live and feel healthy. i also am a strong believer in walking the dog a lot :) dogs happy and it adds like you said a few extra miles to your day :) keep it up girl and i love your blog!

60 TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching January 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm

daaaaaaang girl, look at youuu

congrats on your progress!

61 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm

You look great Meghann, and I love how you made little changes. They really do start to add up and can make a big difference over time. Definitely a healthier way of doing things.

62 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm

You look great, and have such a good attitude!

63 Lee January 16, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Good for you. This is a very good reminder that little things do add up and that you don’t have to overhaul your entire diet to a few pounds.

64 Guestie January 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Great post today! Thanks.

65 Katie @ Livehalffull January 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Thank you for this-it is what I needed!

66 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 16, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Love this. When you’re not happy, DO something about it. AMEN! :)

67 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 16, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I love how you go about losing weight the healthy way – eating good, cutting back but still eating treats once in awhile, and exercising. I also recently gained some weight that I’m trying to lose. I met with a nourtitionist and am trying to add more protein in my diet.
Great job getting back into your jeans!

68 Army Amy* January 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I thought you were looking thinner in your Ragnar photos. I love that you are smart and realistic when it comes to weight loss/maintenance. Way to go, Girl!*

69 Megan S January 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Meghann, I appreciate the straight forward and honest way you addressed this. I also found it quite inspirational. I have more to lose but a few pounds would be a great start:) thanks for sharing. Oh and congratulations!!!!!

70 Kate @Pastafreerunner January 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Great advice! Its so true that if you make a few small changes, you can see dramatic differences! All you need to do is take that first step and make a change! awesome job!

71 lindsay January 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Great advice, and its so simple if we just think about and take action. Muscle is good! keeps us strong, on fire, and alive. WOO!

Cheers to taking action friend!

72 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 16, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Congrats on making the changes & seeing the results! What a great feeling, huh?

73 Laura @ Backstage Balance January 16, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Very awesome!

74 Karen January 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I’ve been looking forward to this post since you alluded to writing it a few weeks ago, and it didn’t disappoint! I love that you just went back to the fundamentals of exercise and nutrition :) Congrats girl, you looked great before and even more now! And congrats on the engagement!

75 Alyssa January 16, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Congrats! :)

Dumb question, but a lot of it is about calories in calories out right?

76 Dee January 16, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I so needed this post. I’m in the pants-are-too-tight-and-I’m-feeling-sorry-for-myself phase. I gotta do something about it!

77 Michelle January 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm

This is exactly what I needed to read today, thank you!

78 Amy January 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Great post! I feel like I’ve gotten stuck in the my-jeans-are-tighter-oh-well so many times in the past, but whenever it’s happened and I’ve actually decided to do something about it, the changes add up so fast! Really good advice here. :)

79 Patrice @ Moment To Memory January 16, 2012 at 7:53 pm

This may sound silly but it’s so great to see someone who actually buys themselves a bigger pair of jeans when they need it instead of walking around with the too-tight jeans as a constant guilt trip. Your body confidence and healthy approach to weight really inspires me. Thanks Meghann :)

80 Mary January 16, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for this post! I have been noticing a few extra pounds and a little snugness in some of my pants recently, too. I need to do exactly what you did, and take a close look at where some of my good habits have started to slide (not hard when you’re honest with yourself!). I am planning my first half ironman this summer and I know I will have to watch the carbs like you said. BTW, you looked fabulous in that running skirt during the Ragnar – where did you get it? I would love to reward myself with one when the few bonus pounds are gone!

81 Kathleen @ Fittitudefreedom January 16, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Nice post! I understand how easy it is to justify all the extra calories when you are exercising so much. I never understood why I never lost weight while training for a marathon until I thought about all the extra treats I would eat to reward myself for the extra miles. Thanks for sharing your success- a motivation !

82 Colleen January 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Awesome post! Great job out figuring what need to be changed and doing it! Am in the early stages of this process right now.

83 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It January 16, 2012 at 8:32 pm

GREAT POST! and good for you! i like your “complaining and sulking is going to get me nohere attitude”. this just shows that it’s really calories in vs calories out is what makes or breaks weight gain/loss. thanks for this post!

84 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 16, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Great job on getting the extra pounds off the right way. You looked at your whole diet, habits, mood, and exercise routine to find the root of the problem. Well done!

85 Chelsey @ Chew With Your Mouth Open January 16, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Well done! I love reading success stories of people who take the change into their own hands and go after what they want! You are leading with such a great example!

86 Laura @mypurposefullife January 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Meghann, as I’ve mentioned before, you were the first blog I found and I have thoroughly enjoyed following you for years now. But you writing such an honest, and encouraging, post makes me admire and respect you that much more. I thought it was so cool when you discussed how uncomfortable the weight gain made you feel previously (because it makes you that much more relatable and down to Earth), but now you have shown us all that you really can change your life if you don’t like it. I especially liked the way you went over what you “could have done” in this post-proving to us that we have CHOICES. We aren’t stuck in a life we don’t like. Thank you so much for being such an inspiration. AND major CONGRATS on getting back to a weight you are more comfortable with! Just in time for wedding dress shopping. ;)

87 Amy January 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I’m in the same boat you were in a while ago. I am finding my pants getting a little snug so you have convinced me to finally just DO something about it instead of talking about doing something about it. This is why I love your blog. You are a real woman who isn’t afraid to talk about the issues that affect so many of us!

88 Mary January 16, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I need to take a look back at the basics. Especially now that I’m marathon training again. Diet Coke and Bread CANNOT fuel me through my workouts! old and bad habits die hard ;)

Kudos to you girl, you’re lookin’ great! Keep it up!

89 Corey @ Learning Patience January 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Love your honesty….it’s insipired me – thanks…
xoxo from Trinidad

90 Bria January 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Great post! You have a very healthy attitude towards food and weight. I am the same way when it comes to weight; if my jeans are tight, I wear the bigger more comfortable ones, and work on making changes. For example, my clothes have been a bit tighter lately and I realized I have been eating dessert at weekly lunchtime meetings (usually cake) and also eating every office treat available when I usually pass! So now my goal is to pass on the office fair, and stick to my own healthy eats. I know my training schedule keeps me working out a healthy amount so diet is usually the culprit if my jeans are snug! Great job on taking care of business. :)

91 Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full January 16, 2012 at 9:25 pm

This is a great post. I love your attitude and how you took control and made conscious choices. Also, I couldn’t agree more with your first decision to buy new pants!!! I had the somewhat opposite problem this fall when I lost a lot of weight unexpectedly after my husband left for the year to do his dissertation research. My pants were suddenly huge on me and people were making all kinds of snarky comments. It wasn’t until my mom made me buy a new pair of pants that fit that I realized the problem had a lot less to do with my weight, and more to do with my clothes and how I carried myself when I didn’t feel good about how I looked.

92 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 16, 2012 at 9:31 pm

This is great – I think many of us (including me) get caught into the trap of thinking we are working out so much that we deserve to eat (and sometimes drink) a LOT of calories. So easy to overcompensate! It’s so great to see your progress and how just making smart decisions really helped make noticeable changes. Thanks for sharing!

93 Amber January 16, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Thank you for your realistic approach to your health– and for sharing it! I needed this today!

94 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family January 16, 2012 at 9:54 pm

You can definitely see the changes!

95 Christine January 16, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Love it!!! I have quite a few more pounds to lose than you…but I did the same thing this past fall. I had to buy a size bigger in my jeans. And at that point, I said I need to do something about this weight gain, the weight I just lost!! GRRR. So I joined the gym and changed my food choices. Now, I’m back in my jeans that grew to be too tight and now I’m working on ridding myself of this other weight that needs to leave. Thanks so much for your blog! Enjoyed it!

96 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona January 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love this post! I’m in the same situation right now, and reading about your journey is motivating me.

97 Stephanie P January 16, 2012 at 11:01 pm

This is such a great post! I decided last Monday that it was time for the change! I’m really motivated, especially after reading your “January Joiners” post and I am determined to get rid of this extra weight I’m carrying around! Thats for posting about your journey.

98 Khushboo January 17, 2012 at 1:01 am

Excellent post, Meghann! The whole ‘tight jean’ syndrome was exactly how I felt 2 weeks ago..after going back to the basics in terms of food, I am already noticing the difference. I feel so much better, my clothes fit great and I’m so motivated to continue with it! The small things really do add up and make all the difference.

99 Sara @my less serious life January 17, 2012 at 7:41 am

i love this post! it is truly about making changes and doing the small things that really add up. good for you!

100 KatieTX January 17, 2012 at 8:32 am

Even though I work out on a regular basis, the best motivation for the year and 3 months I was engaged was knowing that there would be a thousand pictures of me in a white dress. That will get your butt out of bed in the morning to work out like nothing else. Keep it up!

101 diana@mymarblerye January 17, 2012 at 8:52 am

This was a really good post. I’ve gain a significant amount of weight and I’ve been bitching and bitching about it…but I haven’t done anything about it. Thanks for your honesty cause it’s true…only I can change my weight through my habits. A weight loss fairy isn’t going to grant me a 10lb weight loss overnight. It’s work…and it sucks.

102 Nikki January 17, 2012 at 10:06 am

Thank you so much for posting this! I have really been struggling and have been trying to think more about how I am going about my eating and working out. I need to look at myself with a better perspective to hopefully recognize what can be done to help me feel a little more comfortable about my body! I am going to try and do some of the little things that you have done!

103 Christina January 17, 2012 at 10:25 am

Meghann!
It’s like you were reading my mind and knew I needed to read this!
Thank you for reaffirming it’s the little things that do truly make a difference. I am noticing the tighter pants and said to my hubby yesterday that we needed to start making better choices again.
Is there a source or list you find helpful when making up a grocery list for healthy staples to have around the house?

Congrats on your one size bigger jeans now being one size bigger than you need!

104 Meghann January 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I would check out Women’s Health or Shape. They have great healthy grocery lists that are great references. The best strategy is to avoid the middle aisles and just stock up on fresh vegetables, lean meats, and dairy. Good luck! :)

105 Betsy January 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Love this post! I find it especially motivating that you took control of your situation, made a few small changes, and just kept moving along. This sounds like real life, not some dramatic change that you won’t be able to sustain. Kudos to you for keeping it real!

106 Kristin @ FoodFash January 17, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Well said! You look great!

107 barbara_daisy January 18, 2012 at 10:28 am

hi meghann,

i really enjoyed this blog post, so inspring! I’m in a similar position โ€“ after losing 20 pounds 3 years ago I regained 10 pounds over the last year. your story about buying bigger pants really struck a chord :-)

my problem is: all the diet strategies I used 3-4 years ago, don’t seem to work anymore?! i workout 6 days a week (mostly running and yoga), i eat a lot of veggies and protein with every meal, try to keep the carbs under control, etc., nothing seems to work โ€“ perhaps my body got used to the “healthy living” and isn’t responding to a balanced diet and exercise?! i do eat some cake/sweets from time to time, but not daily and not in huge amounts. I am really really frustrated …

do you have any advice regarding that problem?

BTW: I’m so happy for you and derek โ€“ have a lovely life together

108 Meghann January 18, 2012 at 10:58 am

That’s the same problem I was running into. That’s why I had to take a step back and really look at what I was doing so I could find things to do differently. Our bodies get so used to one routine, that the best way to get them to change is to shock them with something different. Maybe try new forms of exercising? I knew someone that got stuck losing weight with just running and switched to kick boxing and saw the pounds melt off. Change up the routine and see what happens.

109 Roselyn @ A Balanced Fit January 18, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Weight training is key! (as is diet!)…build lean muscle to burn fat, and you lose inches. Good job! :)

110 Courtney O'Shady January 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I know I’m a few days late commenting on this, but I just wanted to say thank you. I’d been seriously bummed recently because just before Thanksgiving I needed an emergency surgery, then suffered a severe allergic reaction just a few days later and was prescribed some medications that made me very lethargic and constantly hungry for a few weeks. As a result, I’d fallen completely out of my healthy habits. A couple weeks ago, I started noticing how tight my own jeans were getting and was dismayed when I weighed myself and saw a less-than-ideal number staring at me. So I was faced with the same two choices as you, and I kept choosing to ignore my issues and just wallow in self-loathing.

This post seriously inspired me to jump back into action – I’m back in a regular exercise routine and I’ve been eating incredibly well for the past few days. It hasn’t even been a full week yet, but already I feel better! Thank you so much for the inspiration!!