Say Yes to the (Mother of the Groom) Dress

by Meghann on January 15, 2012

Today was a day full of adventures.

Starting with a delicious bowl of pumpkin oats topped with fresh blueberries at my sister’s. Thanks Kelly! :)

I stayed at my sister’s place last night because we had plans to take my mom shopping for a mother-of-the-groom dress for my brother’s wedding next month and a mother-of-the-bride dress for my sister’s wedding in June. It was a girl’s day out. Well, girl’s day + my Dad. ;)

Finding a mother-of-the-groom and a mother-of-the-bride dress was a little harder than we thought it would be. We started at David’s Bridal, but were overwhelmed with the crazy crowds. Despite spying an outfit or two that might work, we left to check the mall out and see if we would have more luck with crowd control there. The mall turned out to be a total bust, either stuff was too fancy, too old, not fancy enough, too young, or just plain ugly. Fail.

IMG_5249.JPG IMG_5245.jpg

My mom left empty handed, but Ashley, Kelly, and I scored some cute great dresses for upcoming rehearsal dinners. Glass half-full, right. ;)

Eventually we called David’s Bridal and made an appointment to try again later in the afternoon. The second trip was much better. We pulled all the outfits that caught my mom’s attention earlier in the day and everything she tried on looked fabulous, it was actually hard just to pick two dresses since everything looked so good!

She did pick a great floor length gown for Ben’s winter wedding and a spunky knee-length dress for Kelly’s summer wedding. She’s going to look hot! :)

Between shopping tips, we stopped at TooJay’s for lunch.

I had the Tuna Nicoise Salad, which was very fresh and pretty tasty. Loved all the crisp veggies. :)

And SURPRISE! I was somehow talked in to trying on a wedding dress or two at David’s Bridal.

IMG_5596.jpg IMG_5594.jpg

It was strange being ‘allowed’ to try on all the pretty white dresses after staring at them for so long. It was also kind of fun. I really have no idea what style I want for the big day, so I tried a variety of fitted dresses, A-lines, ball gowns, and some fun textured ones.

I didn’t leave with a dress and I’m still not quite sure what I want. Good thing I have a ton of time ahead of me to figure it out. :)

After our second go at David’s Bridal, we all left starving and in need of a good meal. It was by total luck that we stumbled upon the monthly Food Truck Bazaar in Oviedo. Total luck of awesomeness.

IMG_5608.JPG IMG_5628.jpg

I moved from Orlando right before the local Food Tuck movement exploded and had been dying to attend one of the famous food truck bazaars. I literally squealed with excitement when we pulled into the parking lot to check it out.

The parking lot was packed with trucks and people. There had to be over a dozen trucks, a few hundred people, and lines that were 25-30 person deep for each truck. Insane.

I follow a few of the food trucks on twitter that I really wanted to check out, but the lines were just way too long. I waited for a couple of minutes in a couple of different lines, but each time I would get antsy when it didn’t move and want to try something else.

Eventually I found my sister at a truck with next to no line called the Travelling Gourmet.

I know, I know, a short line isn’t a good sign in a place like this, but we were hungry and the menu looked good.

I ordered the keilbasa & kraut and was surprised how sweet the whole meal was. I think I prefer my keilbasa spicy. Eh.

Kelly ordered the savory waffle and egg and I think i liked hers better. I really have a knack for ordering the wrong thing where ever I go.

My Dad and Ashley ordered pork tacos, a cuban sandwich, and tostones from a Cuban food truck that were pretty tasty. Especially the tostones, nothing better than good tostones.

My mom got a chicken empanada and beef tostone sliders from another truck. Again, delicious. Next time I’m not ordering anything and just eating off of everyone else.

The big ticket item was the crepe truck we waited in line for 30 minutes for. We all took turns waiting in line and leaving to order other food. It was a good way to pass the time.

The crepes we worth waiting for.

We ordered two sweet.

IMG_5636.JPG IMG_5639.JPG IMG_5640.JPG IMG_5641.JPG

A smores crepe with nutella, marshmallows, and graham crackers.

Oh, man. This baby was good. Rich, decadent, and full of chocolatey love.

IMG_5644.JPG IMG_5645.JPG

A raspberry and cream cheese crepe.

Eh. Not our favorite. I thought the cream cheese would be sweet, it wasn’t. It was like eating a bagel with cream cheese – only, I don’t like bagels with cream cheese.

We should have ordered two smores crepes. Oh well. :)

I told you it was a day of adventures. :)

I’m staying at my sister’s again tonight. I have a doctor’s appointment in Titusville on Tuesday and it’s just easier to stay over here instead of having to drive back to Tampa and back in another 24-hrs. Slumber party at Kelly’s house!

Good Night!

1 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It January 15, 2012 at 9:29 pm

nutella/banana crepes are my absolute FAVORITE!! you look GORGEOUS in that bridesmaid dress btw!!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It recently posted..I’m Getting Faster

2 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It January 15, 2012 at 9:30 pm

oops- totally didnt mean bridesmaid- rehearsal dinner!! haha

3 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Those rehearsal dinner dresses are so pretty! Looks like a fun day!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Museum of Aviation Marathon Recap

4 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 15, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Looks like a fun day! Dress shopping is so much, especially wedding dresses. Those crepes sound delicious – I’ve never seem a food truck!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Dinner with the Family

5 Janna January 15, 2012 at 9:37 pm

If you went to the David’s in Altamonte, the consultant Brooke is amazing- she helped with all my bridesmaids dresses.

I am so interested in getting over to the food trucks- yum and looks fun! The milk district off Robinson I think does the food trucks sometimes too…
Janna recently posted..New Year’s Resolutions

6 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Sounds like a fun day! I got the first wedding dress I tried on. Did you guys set a date yet?
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..back to the basics: roasting vegetables

7 Chloe (In Fine Feather) January 15, 2012 at 9:49 pm

You look great in the black dress & in the bridal gown! It seems like you’ve been back to the old Meghann eating habits & are also weight lifting, so maybe that’s it :)
Have fun with Kelly!
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..What I’ve Learned By Living in the South

8 Caitlin in MD January 15, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Love the rehearsal dinner dresses…where did you get them???

9 Meghann January 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm

JcPennys :)

10 Army Amy* January 15, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Food trucks! Jealous! I was just saying yesterday that I wished there were food trucks where I live. I’m glad your mom found her dresses. Mother of the bride/groom attire can be tricky.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Big D Training: T-minus 13 Weeks

11 Ash Bear January 15, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Your workouts are really working missy! I love that dress and you look so radiant. Who makes the dress?
Ash Bear recently posted..My New Sunday Routine

12 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Even with just that tiny glimpse, you are definitely going to make a stunning bride! It’s so fun going dress shopping with people, so I can’t imagine what it’s like when you’re the one who gets to actually try them on.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Long Run Sundays: Partial Breakups & Sausage Fingers

13 Wendy January 15, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Smashing choice of rehearsal dinner dresses, they are super flattering on all of you! Have fun with the wedding dress picking when you get to doing it, you’ll have a great time!
Wendy recently posted..Playing With Time

14 Tara January 15, 2012 at 10:39 pm

LOVE the rehearsal dinner dresses! Sounds like you had a great day.
Tara recently posted..What do you mean I’m not done???

15 Aly January 15, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Love the rehearsal dinner dresses! I tried on every style/shape of wedding dress available before choosing “the one”. I ended up going with the one I least expected – a mermaid. Have fun trying them on.
Aly recently posted..Marathon training – week three

16 JessicaE January 15, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I think you look great in the black dress… good choice.

And you poor thing it does seem like you end up liking others choices more… :(

17 Mary January 15, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Love the rehearsal dinner dresses. (*makes mental note to stop at JC Penney ASAP*)
Mary recently posted..Tundra Challenge Review

18 Sue Kauffman January 15, 2012 at 11:03 pm

You girls look beautiful in your dresses. The food truck bazaar…what a neat idea and lucky you stumbled on it. There are always a few of these at the summer carnivals in PA where I live.
Sue Kauffman recently posted..Online Fitness Coaching: Fitness Tips to Get Back on Track

19 Cindy January 15, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Hey Meghann! I’ve been an avid reader of your blog and wanted to stop in and say that you look great in your dress! I’ve recently picked up the NROLFW and it looks like it’s really transforming your body! Congrats on the engagement!
Cindy recently posted..Bullfighting in Spain

20 Melissa @TryingtoHeal January 15, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I had a banana nutella in Australia years ago and I still dream about it it was so good…drool.

wedding dresses!!! I can’t wait until I get the go ahead to try some on…hehe.
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Completely Vegan….Soon? by Amanda

21 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife January 15, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Right before I got engaged and right after I got engaged, I would start shaking when I started talking about the plans for MY wedding plans. It’s crazy to realize that you are finally planning that day that you’ve been dreaming about. Enjoy this time. It is stressful and amazing at the same time!!
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Music Throwbacks

22 Chelsea January 15, 2012 at 11:26 pm

That looks like a day filled with tons of fun! I want my wedding dress to be semi-similar to my prom dress. I felt like I looked like a million bucks in it and I want that same feeling <3

23 theswanin.me January 16, 2012 at 12:51 am

WOW Those dresses the three of you got are stunning!!!! :) Where are the pictures of your mommy’s dresses? We wanna see tooo!
theswanin.me recently posted..Bridesmaid dress is chosen- Only a few tears shed.

24 Meghann January 17, 2012 at 9:26 am

She wants to make a grand entrance with her dress at my brother’s wedding. Trust me, she’s going to be smoking! :)

25 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 16, 2012 at 5:20 am

A food truck festival would be so fun! We only have a few trucks that are around mostly during the summer. I’m sure we’ll be seeing lots of dress shopping posts in the months ahead. Yeah! Have fun!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..A Few of My Favorite Things

26 Laura @ Running on Pie January 16, 2012 at 5:52 am

Haha I just went wedding dress shopping at David’s Bridal on Saturday! I almost got talked into the perfect dress (but it was outside my budget), but I said, “No! We’re going to have to keep looking.” :) I don’t think that the consultant hears that a lot. But I found ANOTHER perfect dress, so just a heads up that there are more fish in the sea.
Laura @ Running on Pie recently posted..Say Yes to the Dress

27 sarah January 16, 2012 at 7:21 am

love the pics of the THREE brides to be! :) You also look GREAT in the rehearsal dinner dress :)
sarah recently posted..Food Tasting!

28 Amy January 16, 2012 at 7:33 am

That rehearsal dress? MEOW! You look so lean in that dress. Fits you like a glove!
Amy recently posted..Avocado Chicken Salad + CX Worx

29 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 16, 2012 at 8:00 am

I went to a food truck festival a few months ago, it made for a very fun date night!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..He Will Be Missed

30 Hillary January 16, 2012 at 8:09 am

I always make my grandparents take me to Too Jay’s when I come to FL to visit. They make a MEAN pastrami sandwich!
Hillary recently posted..Going The Distance

31 Ashley January 16, 2012 at 9:03 am

Did you know that there are other local, small business, independent bridal shops that you could support and shop at for your wedding needs? I work 8:30am-6:30pm Monday-Saturday at a bridal shop like this and it breaks my heart every time someone announces that they didn’t look anywhere but the industry giant (David’s).

Just wondering! Good luck with everything.

32 Meghann January 16, 2012 at 9:33 am

I just went for David’s Bridal for fun, I promise to look other places before making a decision. I’ve already had a friend suggest a local shop In Tampa that I plan to visit in a couple of weeks. :)

33 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 16, 2012 at 9:08 am

That must have been so cool to finally get to try on dresses! Especially since there was no pressure, just trying things on for fun!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Trying Again

34 Holly January 16, 2012 at 9:42 am

Aw, this post brought back memories for me! My mom went shopping almost every other day looking for her dress for my wedding in September. She ended up with 7 dresses and we had to have an intervention. She doesn’t normally love shopping for herself so it was cute that she was so into finding the perfect dress. (And luckily she was able to return the 6 dresses that didn’t make the cut.)

35 Allison January 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

Yay for finding dresses- your family has so many weddings to look forward to :D I’m glad that I’ve got a while till our wedding too because I have NO CLUE what style dress I want… The thought of a big ball gown is fun because how often [if ever again] can you wear one, but also something fitted can be beautiful- so many choices!
Allison recently posted..Giving is Good, Recieving is Flattering

36 Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 16, 2012 at 10:18 am

wedding dress shopping is sooo much fun!!

37 jena January 16, 2012 at 10:29 am

I really like that black dress, it’s very flattering on you! Those food trucks look fun!

38 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

What a fun day!! The first time trying on a dress is so exciting! I actually bought my dress the first time I looked. It wasn’t part of the plan, but you never know when you are going to find the perfect one!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Sweet & Sour Decision, Part 1

39 Emily January 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Yay for your first time trying on dresses! How exciting.

40 Laura January 16, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Oh my gosh, finding a Mother of the Bride dress was HORRIBLE for us. Finding my wedding dress was a piece of cake, but my mom had such a hard time. I wouldn’t allow her to wear black, and then everything we found was either too sexy or too matronly. Eventually she found something that worked, but didn’t love it. Of course, after the wedding I started seeing TONS of dresses that would have been perfect for her. Ugh.

41 Kristen January 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

You look super tiny in that black dress :)

42 Nadine January 16, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Hah! Looks like you caught the once a month occasion just right ;) I never did find a regular, convenient farmers market for this weekend.