Back to it

by Meghann on January 11, 2012

I’m not going to lie, heading back to reality was not fun today. It was a whirlwind week of highs and more highs and having my alarm go off at 6:00am was less than bueno.

The good news is I have some fun posts in the works over the next couple of weeks, including:

• The story of my ring (#FunFact: I’m the third generation in my family to have an engagement ring with sapphire accents)
  • A full review of Ragnar Relay with some tips and tricks
  • What I’ve been doing differently with my diet to help shed my HIM pounds
  • Half marathon goals and training
  • And, of course, WEDDING PLANNING!!! <– I promise not to go overboard here. Pinky swear.

I was also excited to kick off Stage 6 of New Rules of Lifting for Women this morning.

I was very relaxed with exercise and eating while I was in Key West. I definitely entered vacation mode and just enjoyed the moment without worrying about anything else. I did manage a short 3 mile run on Monday morning and I’m guessing we walked a good 3-4 miles each day we were there. I have zero regrets and didn’t even think twice about my choices while I was away.

It was hard to get back in the swing of this this morning, but the fact that I was starting a new stage helped. Also, seeing all of my gym buddies and telling them my stories from Ragnar and the weekend was fun too. Nothing like a good set of gym buddies to get your butt moving in the morning.

I started my time in the gym with a 3 miler on the treadmill. I started at 6.5 and amped up the speed .2 or .3 every 1/2 mile. It was a good way to slowly remind my legs what running fast was and they appreciated the gentle reminder.

After the 3 miles, I headed to the weights for Stage 6A.

Now Stage 6 is an optional stage in the plan with only a goal of being able to complete an unassisted pull up at the end. I didn’t skip Stage 6 because, well, I wanted to see if it worked and if I really could achieve an unassisted pull up at the end.

The workouts for each of Stage 6A and Stage 6B are fairly short with only 4 moves and a limited number of sets in each move.

The only part I was a little thrown off with was the 10 sets of 2 reps of the upperhand-grip lat pulldowns. It felt funny doing so many sets of such a low number of reps, but I was able to go a little higher on the weight because of this and it did become rather difficult at the end.

After my gym session, I headed straight home for breakfast.

2 slices of toast with almond butter, pumpkin butter, strawberries, dark chocolate edamame, and a dusting of flax seed.

And cherries!

I spent the majority of the morning catching up on work tasks and attempting to make my way through my inbox (it wasn’t pretty).

I was so wrapped up in work tasks that it was well after 1:00pm before I realized I should be eating lunch.

I made a quick salad of arugula, carrots, olives, avocado, nuts, apple, and goat cheese. It was a light lunch, but I honestly wasn’t terrible hungry. The toast and almond butter combo always keeps me really full in the morning.

I’m still not caught up, but I’m getting there.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

1 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Coming back after a long, awesome weekend (especially one as exciting as yours!) is always rough. Looks like you’re back in the swing of things though!

2 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm

What an awesome time you had–I bet it was crazy getting back to it all–but at least you started it right : with a great workout ;)

3 Kristen January 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I can’t wait to hear about the symbolism of your sapphire ring (love sapphires, my birthstone!) and I NEED your diet tips that are helping you lose weight, thanks :)

4 Jen January 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm

What does “HIM” mean (HIM pounds)? Have fun with wedding planning! I just started, too :)

5 Meghann January 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm

HIM = Half Ironman. I gained a few pounds while training for my half ironman, so I referenced them as the HIM pounds :)

6 kathleen @ the daily crumb January 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm

it’s soooo hard to get back into the swing of things. i am still getting back to real life following the holidays!

7 Amanda January 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I must know about your ring, I love hearing about engagement rings and proposal stories!!! Congrats you two, your engagement story was adorable. I hope your ring doesn’t take too long to be resized. Mine took 2 weeks (it was HUGE on me) and every time I told somebody about our engagement they’d look at my left hand…. “where’s the ring?”. lol. Can’t wait for your upcoming posts!

8 Laura @ Running on Pie January 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Congratulations!! Please post lots about your wedding planning! I am also engaged and planning a wedding and I could use some support and inspiration!

9 Summer January 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Feel free to go overboard with wedding planning here… by all means, please bombard us. Dresses are pretty and parties are fun, so wedding plans are awesome :)

10 Caroline January 11, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Coming back to the real world is difficult after a vacation, and it must be especially difficult coming off such an amazing and life changing one! I’m excited for your entire list of posts that you mentioned:)

11 Jordan January 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Reality is always hard to return to. I myself have just returned from a trip and I am avoiding responsibilities as much as possible hehe. I want to wish you congrats on your engagement! I wish you two all the best!

12 Whitney @ Whit's Kitchen January 11, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I love that your workout started at 6.5 on the treadmill! You rock! Mine today started at 5 and at my fastest topped out at 6.3. :)

13 wymberley January 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I can’t wait for cherries to be less than $4.99 a pound. Im still pouting that figs are at that rate and never went down! As for the wedding planning, I dont think anyone will hold that against you ;)

14 sarah January 11, 2012 at 9:50 pm

feel free to go overboard on wedding planning, im SO looking forward to that! I am engaged too and LOVE reading other peoples plans! :)

15 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 11, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed the weekend and didn’t worry about things – 3 or so days off the band wagon (especially after all that racing) won’t set anyone back! Haha I guess except for that whole waking up early thing. I can’t wait to hear about wedding plans!

16 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm

So excited for your upcoming posts! And if you want to go crazy on the wedding planning posting, that’s fine by me! :-)

17 Sarah January 11, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Looks like some fun posts coming up! My ring has sapphires as well, I love how unique it looks!

18 Nicole January 14, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I, for one, hope that you incorporate alot of wedding planning in your blog. It’s so much fun!