A Ragnar Relay Proposal: Part II – The Final Legs

by Meghann on January 10, 2012

Did you miss Part I? Check it out here!

Rise and shine! It’s Ragnar time!

The name of the game in any overnight relay race is sleep where you can, when you can. My teammates and I crashed in the 15 person van. Other teams got creative.

My favorite was the hammock set up. Classy.

After my van finished up our first legs, we had roughly six hours to eat, make it to the next major exchange and sleep. Van 1 was predicted to come in around 12:30 am, but it wasn’t until close to 2:00 am that we got word the last runner was on their way. Of course, that news didn’t bother us. More time = more sleep. Nope. We didn’t mind at all.

Surprisingly, sleeping on the floor of a van wasn’t that bad. I got roughly 3-4 hours of sleep and was wide awake and ready to go when I was awaken around 2:00. We were parked at a local high school that had showers and restrooms open to runners, but I opted for a baby wipe bath and downed a couple of cups of the free hot coffee on site.

We also ran into our teammates from van 1. Their legs took them through the everglades with nothing, but the moonlight to guide them through. I heard it was beautiful, but also a little scary at times. They all played ‘don’t wake the alligators sleeping on the side of the road.’

With only a couple of hours of sleep under her belt, our first runner was ready to tackle the 9.9 miles (!) ahead of her and – let me tell you – I was not jealous. More power to her.

IMG_4876.jpg IMG_4879.JPG

And while the majority of friends up and down the east coast were still sleeping – or just coming home from the night before shenanigans – Jenn kicked off the second set of legs for van 2 around 2:30am.

My goal was to stay awake and show support but, once we were back in the van, it only took a few minutes to lay my head down and fall back asleep. I didn’t even realize I was asleep until I woke up and Jenn was already back from her 9.9 miler, Nate was done with his 6 miles, and Kerri was halfway through her moonlight 8 miler. Apparently I had missed a lot.

From what I was told, the moonlight runs were GORGEOUS. The last legs of the relay were a straight shot down US 1 and were mainly compromised of bridges along the water. Everyone who had a night run told me those legs were their favorites.

Just after 6:00am Derek was prepping for his 4 mile leg.

IMG_4892.jpg IMG_4893.jpg

He had the best run of all, the one with the sunrise.

Now THIS is why I wanted to do this race. These are the legs I’d been waiting for!

And on what was probably the most beautiful location for an exchange, Derek handed the snap bracelet off to Dana for her 3 miles.

Done. :)

The next exchange came on quick. Really quick. So, quick that Dana came in and had to wait around for a bit as we made our way to the exchange point. Sorry, Dana! Luckily we found each other and I was able to take off on my 6.9 mile leg without further issues.

The sun was fully up by the time I took off for my leg just before 7:30am. The course took me through a secluded paved path for the first 3-4 miles that left me a tad bit jealous of everyone’s very scenic moonlit runs.

I saw Derek just at the 3.5 mile mark and handed off my now unnecessary reflective vest (which was like wearing a heat shield) and grabbed a bottle of water.

The sun was really starting to heat everything up at this point. Again, super jealous of everyone’s much cooler night legs.

The last half of the run was a little more scenic. I went over a couple of bridges, saw some water, and just took everything in.

Each leg went by really, really fast. I still can’t believe how fast this race felt.

Coming in for the kill.

Go, Lee, Go!

• Distance: 6.9 miles
  • Time: 1:01:13
  • Pace: 8:47 min/mi

Gatorade was my friend after every leg.

With all 6 runners of van 2 done with our second legs, we packed up and headed to the closest breakfast place we could find that didn’t have a line out the door (I’m sure all the businesses through the Keys had a love/hate relationship with all of the Ragnar participants invading their cities and filling up their restaurants). We drove by a few places that were insanely packed with Ragnar runners, but didn’t feel like waiting for a table to be serve. We ended up finding a place just around the corner from the next major exchange on Sugarloaf Key for breakfast.

IMG_4921.JPG IMG_4920.JPG

One large latte and one egg and veggie wrap really hit the spot.

Our next major exchange was at another high school with clean bathrooms and showers.

There was also a nice quiet gym that plenty of runners crashed in.

Some crashed in style.

We did not crash in style.

Van people until the very end!

IMG_5122.JPG IMG_5123.JPG

I didn’t end up sleeping, but I did make friends with some vans around us, caught up on reading, and spent 30 minutes discussing a random guy’s antler tattoo with my teammates as he stretched in front of our van.

We were there a loooonnnnggggg time.

I started to go a little crazy in the van, I also got hungry again. The high school band was selling slices of pizza and other snacks to runners. I had two slices of greasy cold pizza to fill the void.

Just when we thought we couldn’t take being stuck in the high school parking lot any longer, we heard that our runner was on their way in for the hand off. Finally!

I think we were all so antsy to run and finish up this race that everyone sort of blew their last legs out of the water. Jenn was so fast with her 5 mile leg (about 35 minutes!), that Nate barely caught her coming in and hadn’t even set his ipod up yet when he took off.

Nate killed it too.

He finished his very short 2 miler in just 13 minutes!!!

IMG_5136.JPG IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG IMG_5140.JPG IMG_5141.JPG

Kerri had 2.7 miles next.

She said the heat was brutal, but it didn’t stop her from finishing with a smile.

Kerri handed the bracelet off to Derek for his final 2 miler.

IMG_5154.JPG IMG_5155.JPG

My baby finished strong! 2 miles.18 minutes 40 seconds. No support needed.

Dana’s turn.

That was it. 194 miles down, 30+ hours taken, and I was the last runner on deck.

This was when everyone started acting funny. Derek was attached to his phone and was acting funny, Nate randomly became interested in his long forgotten video camera, Jenn went silent, and I was reminded yet again to take my time getting to the finish line. They wanted to make sure they had enough time to make it to the finish line and park so our whole team was there to cross together. I was so antsy to run, I just wanted to get out there and finish.

We were all suppose to finish in costume (our We Ran With Your Mom Last Night shirts and running skirts and pearls for the girls, animal print for the guys), but it was too hot to wear the sticky pink shirt on my run. I put the pearls and runnings skirt on, and stuck the shirt in the back of my skirt for just before the finish line.

We saw Dana come into the exchange chute

And with a quick snap of the bracelet, I was off.

I tried to listen to their advice and take my time, but I went out too fast with an 8:00 min/mi. Oops.

My team met me at just over 1.5 miles and gave me some cheers. I told them I was good and I would meet them at the finish. Only 4 more miles after that. No biggie. I crossed into Key West off of US 1 and started my last wrap around the island before the finish.

My last leg was gorgeous. The sun was just barely starting to set and was hovering beautifully over the water as I ran. I lost myself in the water and began to slow down. A couple of teams passed me, but at this point I really didn’t care. I wanted to make sure all of my teammates were waiting at the end.

With a little less than half of a mile to go I made my first turn. No finish line. I pulled my shirt out and put it on. Another turn. No finish line. Another turn. Where the heck is it? Another turn. Oh, that’s the hotel my parents stayed at when we were here last time. Wait. I think that’s it.

I see the finish line.

To be continued…

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

Wow, those people with the air mattress definitely went all-out!!! This sounds like such a fun/crazy/beautiful/scenic/whirlwind (and a million different other descriptors) race!! Can’t wait for part 3… which I’m hoping is the proposal part!!! πŸ˜€
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Milan Recap: Shops and Giraffes

2 Ash Bear January 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

I hate you right now! I can’t wait for the next installment!! :)
Ash Bear recently posted..Craft Restaurant

3 Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It January 10, 2012 at 7:59 am

ahhh girl please don’t say I have to wait until tomorrow to hear the rest!! Sounds like a really fun race (which I am sure was even more fun for you).

4 Sneakers2Sandals January 10, 2012 at 8:03 am

Seriously. Seriously!? This is just plain torture.
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Back to Life…Back to Realityyy

5 Marie January 10, 2012 at 8:16 am

Ahhh! You suck! Haha! I cannot wait for the last part? πŸ˜‰ This is an amazing story!!!

6 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 10, 2012 at 8:21 am

Can’t wait for more proposal deets!!! Congrats!
Joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Green chili beef soup

7 Reenie January 10, 2012 at 8:23 am

OMG…….Meghann…’re killing us!!! HA!

8 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 10, 2012 at 8:25 am

Getting closer!!! LOVE it!!!

Stupid question…who drives the van?
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Tune in Tuesday – Dose of Disney edition

9 Meghann January 10, 2012 at 8:27 am

We all take turns :)

10 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 10, 2012 at 8:29 am

Thanks for the reply!

11 Cat January 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

Ahhhhh way to leave us hanging :) Please tell me that the rest of the story will be up today!

12 sarah January 10, 2012 at 8:38 am

sounds like this was an AWESOME race! BUt seriously i’m just DYING for part 3!
sarah recently posted..Pancake Sunday

13 Glenneth January 10, 2012 at 8:39 am

that’s just kind of mean leaving us hanging there….hoping to hear the rest of the story TODAY! we know it ends well…….
Glenneth recently posted..Happy Birthday to Who? ME!

14 Margo January 10, 2012 at 8:48 am

This race sounds like a blast, and of course, I’m dying to hear the proposal story! Congratulations!

15 Brittney January 10, 2012 at 8:55 am

LOL! Still waiting on the rest of the story!! So funny that it sounds like all your teammates were in on it! I would hate to keep that kind of secret!
Brittney recently posted..Unseasonably Warm

16 runtothetruth January 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

I LOVE THIS RECAP. Literally, its like a great story

17 Kristin @ FoodFash January 10, 2012 at 9:01 am

Bahhhh way to leave us hanging!! :) You guys look so cute snoozing in the van!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Spicetastic Salad

18 CaitlinHTP January 10, 2012 at 9:04 am

CaitlinHTP recently posted..Eat Real Dinners Week

19 Elisabeth January 10, 2012 at 9:55 am

20 Heather January 10, 2012 at 9:09 am

aaahh your killing me! I can’t wait for the rest!
I am a bit nervous about my relay as it’s only one van and we have 5 legs each so there will be no long stretches of sleeping or stopping to get food. we still each run 20-23 miles though. I think it’s going to be a long day!
Heather recently posted..A Day in the Life 2012

21 carissa January 10, 2012 at 9:11 am

You mean I have to wait for the proposal!!! haha

race.looks so fun! I need more hardcore running friends!
carissa recently posted..Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 2012

22 Hilary January 10, 2012 at 9:11 am

Oooh….you are really dragging this out…sounds like fun so far, can’t wait for the conclusion!
Hilary recently posted..One year ago today….

23 Sarah M @ Blonde Bostonian January 10, 2012 at 9:12 am

Ahhhh! Cliff hanger!!!
Sarah M @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Travel Tuesday: Monaco

24 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 10, 2012 at 9:13 am

Ahh I am so excited!! The anticipation is building thay’s for sure :-) I wa wondering how your stomach and energy level was feeling after having to wing your meals all weekend? So much thought is put into what to eat before a run or exercise and I was just curious how you were affected by the go with the flow attitude of this race?
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..No Meatball Problems Here

25 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 10, 2012 at 9:25 am

Now you’re just teasing us!!!! Ahhhhh I’m dying for the end!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..No Bake Almond Banana Cookies

26 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 10, 2012 at 9:25 am

It goes without saying that this is even more torturous than yesterday’s post but some of those legs look absolutely gorgeous. What an awesome race!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sweet potato salsa

27 Dori January 10, 2012 at 9:29 am

I love how much fun this race sounds and I hate you for stretching this out!
Dori recently posted..10 Things I Am Liking in 2012

28 melissa (fitnessnyc) January 10, 2012 at 9:42 am

Looks like fun! I need to do a relay race!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Not a Bad Start

29 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

Geez – another cliff hanger – you’re killing me here! =)
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Weekend Running + Atlanta Underground Market

30 Marisa E January 10, 2012 at 9:55 am

Ahhhhh!!! Can’t wait to read the rest!!

31 colleen January 10, 2012 at 9:57 am

love the recaps! reading them with nervousness in my stomach….

32 s January 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

me too!

33 ilovefetacheese January 10, 2012 at 9:58 am

34 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life January 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

COME ON!!!! You’re killin me smalls!! :)
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Juice Fast: Day 10!! The End!

35 Meg at January 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

I want to get to the end! I can’t believe its another cliffhanger. Please don’t make us wait another 24 hours! πŸ˜‰
Meg at recently posted..Base Training: Thunder Ridge

36 ~Jessica~ January 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

Loving this post series – some of your best yet πŸ˜€

I wish there was something similar in the UK…but I suspect our weather wouldn’t be half as nice as yours even if such a relay did exist!

37 Lindsay January 10, 2012 at 10:19 am

You are killing me with these cliff hangers!!!!

38 Biz January 10, 2012 at 10:26 am

I obviously know where this is going . . . CONGRATULATIONS! I remember when you just started dating him!! πŸ˜€
Biz recently posted..Indian Spiced Roasted Squash Tomato Soup

39 Michelle January 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

It’s toturing waiting for the proposal – but I am LOVING these recaps of Ragnar. I MUST run this next year!
Michelle recently posted..Weekly Menu & Workouts

40 Sarah @ See Sarah Eat January 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Baaaaaaaahhhhh! You are keeping us on edge here πŸ˜‰
Sarah @ See Sarah Eat recently posted..Happy Herbivore, Round Two!

41 Shannon January 10, 2012 at 10:28 am

OH the anticipation is KILLER!!! Love the views, how awesome to be the finisher!

42 jena January 10, 2012 at 10:29 am

That hammock was awesome, I was very jealous! We also saw the hammock while we were waiting for our van 1 to come in. I was a pacer for our runner 7 & 8 during their night runs – I ran the 9.9 & 6.2 back to back. OMG, longest run everrrrrr. thank goodness we started at 2:30am, it was nice and cool for the entire 16 miles. We wrapped it up around 5:30, so both of my pace runs were in the dark.

I saw you at some point during your 2nd leg, we were waiting for our runner to come by and you came zooming by. I didn’t realize it was you until you went by (saw the mealsandmiles shirt). Nice job out there! You had some tough miles!

We actually got a motel room after our 1st legs (after the speedway) so everyone could shower, and relax for a little while. Definitely worth it. It was around $64 split between 6 people wasn’t bad at all.

43 Emily January 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

I bet those moonlit runs were amazing… This is making me excited AND nervous for the Bourbon Chase. We just got our registration confirmation email this morning!
Emily recently posted..A SLOW start, but there now!

44 Sara January 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

Gahhhhhh! Sooooo close! (Can’t wait to read the rest!)
Sara recently posted..say it do it – the "am i in florida yet??" edition!

45 CindyD. January 10, 2012 at 11:10 am

You’re killing me! Spill it already πŸ˜‰

46 Corey @ Learning Patience January 10, 2012 at 11:12 am

LOVE this story girl…so amazing! :-) I will patiently await part III.

xoxo from Trinidad

47 Krystina (Organically Me) January 10, 2012 at 11:15 am

!!!! If you split this up one more time I’ll scream.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Food for Thought

48 Allison January 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

Gosh girl, you are great at leaving us hanging! I am ready for the best part

49 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 10, 2012 at 11:19 am

Nooooooooo I want the next part NOW πŸ˜‰

Love the recaps–sounds SO fun!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Why The Scale Hardly Matters

50 January 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

You little biioootch! Thats right! I called you that!!!! What a flippen tease! LMAO I thought there were only going to be 2 installments and you don’t finish it WHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! I’m gonna go cry now. :) Come on, I am the one that when I pick up a book that is interesting I cannot put it down. So this is quite painful to me! Thats it! Next one I am scrolling down to see if you continue it before I read the post. recently posted..Going to the chapel and…

51 s January 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

wow. i’m actually kinda glad you broke it up into installments, that is one long relay race … although i can’t wait to read the next part!

52 Beth S January 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

Gah, you are killing me with the suspense! lol I’m soooo ready to hear the rest of the story, this is awesome! You better post tomorrow! haha
Beth S recently posted..I like it pure and raw… Aaaaand Inspiration Board Time! Goals for 2012

53 Chelsea January 10, 2012 at 11:59 am

Not even cool! I was so excited to actually read the proposal on this post haha! My heart started racing when you got closer and closer to the end.

54 Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness January 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Omg I just want to know!!! This IS torture!! haha
Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness recently posted..Keep Rollin’

55 Jane January 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm

You bloggers love to do the “to be continued” upon birth or engagement…

56 Rachel January 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Haha ain’t that the truth! It’s brutal!

57 Natalie @ Adventures in Jackson January 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Ya killin’ me smalls!!
Natalie @ Adventures in Jackson recently posted..Happy New Year!

58 Allison January 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm

It sounds so tiring but so much fun that it is totally worth it! Love the idea of wearing skirts and pearls- fun theme! P.S. Proposal post tonight? We’re all anxiously waiting!
Allison recently posted..Successes Sunday: Week 1

59 Rachel L January 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm

This story is amazing! I feel like I do when I’m reading a great book and I’m just dying to know how it ends. Please don’t keep me waiting too long for part 3!
Rachel L recently posted..What I’ve Been Eating

60 wymberley January 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm

You killing me Meg!
wymberley recently posted..Playing The Snooze Game

61 Allison January 10, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Your killing me!! My daughter is getting married on a Friday in November. We saved money on the venue, and it means the guys can watch football on Saturday! So it worked for us.

62 Anne P January 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh come on!!!
Anne P recently posted..My Workouts This Week

63 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I love the look on Derek’s face for his night run. It’s like, “What am doing? I should be sleeping!”

Please tell me you’ll get to the proposal in Part III! Loving the recap of the race. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Thankful For Tuesday

64 erica January 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

omigod. the suspense is killing me!!!

65 Kimberly January 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Argh! I can’t wait for the next post! It’s killing me!

66 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm

argh the suspense!!!!!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..My first Arepa attempt

67 jessica@domesticated-bliss January 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

AHHHHHHH! I thought this was going to be it! Loving the race recap but really wanting you to get to the goods!! You’ve got me sucked into this story :)!
jessica@domesticated-bliss recently posted..Blog Vacation

68 Georgia January 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm

You absolute tease! πŸ˜›
Can’t wait to hear how the proposal went down! :)
Georgia recently posted..‘A’ is for…avocado ice-cream

69 Emily January 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Awww you’re mean!

70 Jenny January 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm

OMG!!! You keep stretching out the story. My overly anxious self can’t take it!!!!!!!!!!

71 Sarah @ A Runners Heart January 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Your killing me Smalls! Oh the anticipation! I am so excited for you though! Can’t wait to hear the rest! :)
Sarah @ A Runners Heart recently posted..Hello 2012! :)