A Three Blanket Morning

by Meghann on January 4, 2012

Brrrr….

We had temps dip in the 20s last night. I know that’s today’s high for some parts of the country, but that’s pretty darn cold around here. I went to bed last night in full pants and long sleeve pajamas, socks on my feet, and buried under three blankets.

Needless to say, it was very difficult getting out of bed this morning.The only way I could talk myself into getting up was if I immediately started a kettle of hot water to warm me up and promised a workout in the warm gym instead of forcing myself outside. Done and done.

The gym wasn’t as crowded as I was predicting. Plenty of treadmills open and space to roam. I set myself up on the treadmill with an episode of 10 Things I Hate About You (an old ABC Family show that lasted a season) via Netflix on the iPad and did a light 22 minute jog at 6.0 with a 3.0 incline. From there I hopped on the rowing machine, did some lunges, squats, and finished with ab work.

• 20 min treadmill jog
  • 10 min row machine
  • 5 min walking lunges
  • 5 min jumping squats
  • 10 min abs

I really don’t take advantage of the row machine enough. My upper back and arms were burning at the end. Hurt. So. Good. 🙂

What’s your favorite cardio machine at the gym doesn’t get as much love as it should?

Breakfast this morning came in a bowl.

• 1/2 cup Cinnamon Life
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • Vanilla Chobani
  • Pumpkin
  • 1/2 apple
  • sprinkle of Trader Joe’s Blueberry Muesli
  • Cinnamon

With two big cups of hot tea on the side. Brrrr….

Look who is back to her happy-go-lucky self this morning.

IMG_4829.JPG IMG_4831.JPG

The vet warned me she would be tired last night, but obviously he doesn’t know Maddie – she was bouncing off the walls as soon as she walked in the door. There’s nothing that’s going to slow her down. 🙂

When I picked Maddie up last night I was able to discuss my medication concerns with the vet. He was really understanding and suggested some at-home remedies – such as cleaning her feet when she comes inside and changing her food – to see if they help. I have a follow up appointment in a couple of weeks to see if there are any improvements, but I’m confident Maddie and I will find something that works for her. 🙂

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

The Step Mill for me!! I love it – makes me work even harder than the treadmill!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 89

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

It’s always crazy when FL gets that cold!!!

3 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 4, 2012 at 9:59 am

Wow that was colder than Denver this morning! I guess I don’t utilize the cardio machines as much as I should because I prefer running outdoors, taking classes, or lifting. But, I’m trying to expand my cardio horizons beyond the treadmill and elliptical…maybe the rowing machine is the answer.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..I Hear a Rumbling

4 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! January 4, 2012 at 10:06 am

I joined an OrangeTheory Fitness gym in my area (I believe they have a couple in Tampa?) and we use the rowing machine and the treadmill for every workout. At first, I was SO slow on the rowing, but it’s now becoming one of my favorite parts of the workout! Believe me, after using the rower and lifting more weights the last two months, my arms and back are looking pretty good 🙂
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..My New Gym—OrangeTheory Fitness

5 Cait's Plate January 4, 2012 at 10:24 am

I actually heard about the freezing temps in FL on NPR this morning on my way into work! They’re worried about the orange and strawberry crops because it’s THAT cold! Stay warm!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Bowl of Fage Keeps the Doctor Away

6 Meghann January 4, 2012 at 10:38 am

Anytime the temps dip below freezing they start to worry about the crops. Every December or January you’ll see a news crew in the orange groves, scraping an orange with a knife and showing all the frost that developed overnight. It’s like a tradition around here. 🙂

7 Cait's Plate January 4, 2012 at 11:02 am

Ahahaha – that’s too funny! I love it 🙂

8 Cait @ Beyond Bananas January 4, 2012 at 10:25 am

It dipped into the single digits last night… resulting in my contacts being frozen in their case. Who would have thought that contact solution froze? Guess I shouldn’t have left them in the car!

I used to use the rowing machine in college.. but I never felt like I was doing it right!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Some NEW eats in the NEW year!

9 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe January 4, 2012 at 10:26 am

Wow, that is cold for FL! Here in NH, it was 4* when I got in my car this morning. Not happy about that! It’s supposed to warm up this weekend at least!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – "Back on Track" Edition!

10 Jana January 4, 2012 at 10:37 am

Great to hear about Maddie! It will be interesting to see if just a dietary change and wiping her feet help her out. It’s amazing how just voicing your concerns opened up the door for an option that doesn’t contain any medication!
Jana recently posted..The Gift that Keeps on Giving

11 Emily January 4, 2012 at 10:47 am

I am glad that you were able to voice your concerns to the vet. It is a scary thing that you are dealing with.

I almost never use the rowing machine. I should. I am always really sore the next day after using it!
Emily recently posted..Am I OLD?

12 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 4, 2012 at 10:54 am

I’m so glad everything with Maddie worked out!

I never use the stairmaster. I’ve heard its supposed to be a great workout but I can never get into a rhythm and always look like I’m drowning on it. Then I get embarrassed and move on 😛 Oh well!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Health Starts Here

13 Courtney January 4, 2012 at 11:26 am

I work with a lot of farmers and foliage growers, and they’re all so stressed out right now. They’re so tough, but this time of year is extremely hard for them as they face the possibility of losing everything. 🙁
Courtney recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: Better Late Than Never?

14 abbi January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

One of my dog suffers from seasonal allergies. If it isn’t seasonal, it is likely food related. I am probably one of the craziest people when it comes to researching dog food ingredients and I researched a ton…sometimes companies change formulas even if she’s on the same food.
abbi recently posted..2012 plan (First Half) and Goals

15 Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 4, 2012 at 11:44 am

The stair climber/step mill absolutely always kicks my butt… I am a sweating beast after about 10 minutes!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- Continuing To Push Myself

16 Amanda January 4, 2012 at 11:45 am

Make sure to use your legs on the row machine! You shouldn’t use your arms until you have extended your legs all the way, then pull. My arms used to always be sore the next day until someone showed me how to row properly. It’s way more a leg workout than most realize.

17 L January 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I was going to say the same thing! If you arms and back hurt not only are you doing it wrong, you could really hurt yourself. Just make sure you’re driving with your legs. There are a ton of you tube videos that break it down.

18 Kat @ Balance & Spice January 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

It’s a high of 15 here right now. So cold. In other news, so glad to hear about Maddie’s vet being understanding about her meds. I hope she feels better!
Kat @ Balance & Spice recently posted..Tea and Scones with Australia’s Prime Minister

19 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 4, 2012 at 11:59 am

That’s great that your vet was so understanding–definitely a sign that Maddie is in the right hands.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..In a jar

20 Heather January 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm

its cold here on the MS gulf coast too! I didn’t want to go to the gym but I am glad I did now. Glad maddie is doing ok!
Heather recently posted..Cleared

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 4, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Ahhh that sounds like an awesome workout!

I need to get on the stair mill again soon 🙂 (my knee had been bothering me, so I avoided it for about 2weeks)
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Staples To Stock Your Pantry

22 Shannon January 4, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I’m in Orlando for the week and it is CHILLY (although it’s much better than the 15 degrees it is in Philadelphia right now). I hope it warms up in time for Disney Half marathon I’m still undecided on what I should wear…I think it will be warm, but the race is ridiculously early. Any recommendations for those early morning Disney Races?
Shannon recently posted..Goat Cheese Linguini

23 Meghann January 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm

The forecast shows promise of a warm up for race day! I say where a throwaway layer over a running tank and shorts. Good luck!

24 Shannon January 4, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Thanks! May have to make a trip to Target or dicks for some options come race morning and/or a throwaway layer!
Shannon recently posted..Goat Cheese Linguini

25 Lindsay, Chobani January 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Wow, that’s pretty chilly for Florida- we hear ya for wanting to stay under the covers a bit longer. Thanks for including us in your breakfast bowls, as always Meghann!
Lindsay, Chobani recently posted..Featured Blogger: Gourmet Runner

26 Maren @ Maren's Morsels January 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’m so glad that Maddie survived the dentist and going under. I’d have freaked out!!! My favorite forgotten machine at the gym is the rowing machine. It’s so funny you blogged about it because I always think about how I NEVER seen anyone using them. That’s probably why I liked the rower, no waiting time and not crowded!
Maren @ Maren’s Morsels recently posted..Sunflower

27 MsTampa January 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm

My 18 pound Chihuahuahas allergies like Maddie. Our vet suggested 1/2 of a Zyrtec 10 mg tablet daily for itchiness and also fish oil capsules broken open onto our dogs food.

28 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 4, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I’m glad Maddie is feeling better!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..December in Pictures & the Giveaway Winner

29 Amelia January 4, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Oh yeah, the row machine is a good one! Real life ones like kayaks and boats are awesome too. This past weekend after I finished a body pump class, I came home and to my surprise my husband had our kayaks ready to launch into the water. Let’s just say my already dead arms got an additional workout! Yowza!

30 Army Amy* January 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I’m glad all is well with Maddie! I was hoping you’d post an update!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Book Review: Born to Run

31 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Hahaha that’s how I sleep every night in Chicago!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..It’s Baaaaaack!

32 briana January 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I have a little miniature pinscher and she has to have her teeth done around every 6 months. The vet gave us a liquid to squirt in her mouth to help clean it, but she acts like you are murdering her and it takes 2 ppl to hold her down. It’s too much on her so we don’t do it and just take her in to get them clean.

33 Isabel January 4, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I’m curious- does you iPad have 3G or does Netflix stream without internet? I’m interested in getting an iPad but don’t w ant to pay for 3G.
Thanks!

34 Meghann January 4, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I’m able to pick up a WiFi signal from my gym so I could watch NetFlix that way. I wish I had 3G, but I didn’t want to pay the $$

35 Isabel January 4, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Gotcha! I don’t think you’ve done a review on your iPad but would you recommend getting one? I have an iPhone and am on the fence about also getting an iPad.

36 Meghann January 5, 2012 at 10:07 am

I can really go back and forth with the iPad. Mine was a gift and it’s fun to have around, but I’m not sure I would have bought one for myself. It is nice to download books to it or follow recipes off of it in the kitchen (instead of covering my laptop in flour, like I used to do), but it’s really just a big iphone. However, my Mom LOVES hers and is always attached to it. I guess it varies by person.

37 Maureen January 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I live in Central California, so anything BELOW 40 sounds crazy to me!! I feel like I am freezing when it’s in the high 50’s-low 60’s {which is the weather we are having right now}.

Glad Maddie is doing fine! She’s a cute dog!
Maureen recently posted..Liposuction Voucher To A 7-year Old??

38 Nikki January 5, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Does your gym have free Wifi? I am at the gym now on my IPad. It’s right next to a Staples so I get free Wifi.