Barre Fitness Tampa

by Meghann on January 3, 2012

Guess what finally made it’s way to Tampa?!

A barre method class!

We’re a bit behind here. When it comes to new fitness trends, I believe it goes:

• New York City
  • Los Angeles
  • Miami
  • .Every other city in the U.S….
  • Tampa

Just kidding. We’re not that behind. πŸ˜‰

I was first introduced to the barre method in February 2010 when I joined Dori and Missy for a Core Fusion class in New York City. I wouldn’t say I was hooked, but I did enjoy the class and could feel the burn during and after the class. Since then I’ve dabbled with at home versions of Core Fusion and Physique 57 on DVD and took a Barre 54 class in Orlando for an episode of Meals and Miles last May.

A couple of weeks ago my lovely friend Kristin told me a Barre Fitness studio had recently opened in the Tampa area. She loved it. They pushed her, left her shaky, and she was raving so much that I knew I had to try the studio for myself.

barrefitnesstampa.jpg IMG_4768.jpg

The classes are expensive ($18 a pop!), but they had some decent introductory rates for new students. That’s how the good studios reel you in – they give you a taste of what they have for a low price, get you hooked, and, before you know it, you’re handing over $75 for an unlimited monthly membership (and that’s on the low end!).

But, I digress.

The class was much of the same as I’ve experienced in other barre method classes – lots of leg raises, squatting on your toes, pulsing, etc. – but that didn’t stop it from being any easier. It was a still a challenge that left me shaking and secretly wishing the minutes on the clock would tick by that much faster.

One thing that did stand out was the crazy amount of arm work in the beginning. I’m not sure if it was the instructor, this particular class, or the studio in general, but I felt she was extra heavy on the arms today. Mine were burning at the end and I had to take a couple of brief breaks to get through it. All of the leg lifts and pulsing squats don’t seem to bother me as much, but crazy arm stuff? Ouch. Even with the two pound weights.

IMG_4766.jpg

I ended up purchasing a 3 class package (darn you, new student deals!), so I will be returning in the future. I wish the classes weren’t so pricey because I really did enjoy the change in routine. The class wasn’t crazy fast or hard to follow, yet I still felt like my arms were ready to fall off towards the end and my abs are still burning 2 hours later – a good sign the class did something right!

We’ll see what happens once I’ve gone back for a couple of more classes. πŸ˜‰

I will say that I enjoyed this studio much more then I did Barre54 in Orlando. It was very casual with a crowd of typical 20-somethings (and 30-somethings) that came in sweats and were make-up free. My kind of people! (Barre54 was the complete opposite)

The late Barre Fitness class called for a larger-than-normal snack this afternoon.

The Erin Baker’s Breakfast Cookie did the trick.

Kristin and I tried to get a quick dinner after class, but everything was closed (go figure!). Luckily I wasn’t terribly hungry or in a hurry to eat. When I did head home, it was after 9:00 and I was uninspired on what to cook for dinner.

I did my normal staring at the fridge (where the thought of needing to cut/cook anything was unappealing), then the pantry (blah. nothing good.), and finally the freezer (where I found the beauty below).

A bag of steamed veggies for dinner? Don’t mind if I do.

I just added some of the pasta Derek made for his dinner and a little bit of turkey from the fridge and my meal was complete.

Not a fancy dinner, but it worked.

Chocolate for dessert.

Late class = Late night = I’m ready for bed.

Good Night!

1 Laura January 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I log barre. Workout. I hate to say this but $18is so cheap. Here in NYC the price ranges from $30 to $37 per class. It’s like my indulgence to take every so often.

I’m going to search for the attune probiotic chocolate here inNYC
Laura recently posted..Happy Self-Love Year!

2 christa January 3, 2012 at 11:13 pm

$18?! nice. it’s like $25 at DefineBody here in houston.
christa recently posted..2011 Survey

3 Allie January 3, 2012 at 11:14 pm

So jealous! I have always wanted to try one of those classes!
Allie recently posted..The Start of a New Chapter

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 3, 2012 at 11:18 pm

We’ve had a few Living Social / GroupOn deals come out for Barre Fitness classes and I’m tempted but then I get too scared away and don’t purchase them for fear I won’t use it. But I’m always up for trying something new so I should probably just try it… πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday

5 Dori January 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm

The class sounds great! Next time you are here, I am taking you to Refine Method. NOT a barre class at all, and you will LOVE it.
Dori recently posted..2011 DSB Year in Review

6 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife January 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Got a joke for you from Mark Twain:
“When the end of the world comes, I’m going to Cincinnati. They’re ten years behind anyway!”
You can insert Tampa in there.
YAY FOR BARRE FITNESS!!
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..2012 Resolutions

7 Madeline @ Food, Fitness, Family January 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I am dying to try a barre class! I danced FOREVER and was in the best shape of my life when I was dancing all week.
Madeline @ Food, Fitness, Family recently posted..New Toys πŸ™‚

8 Kristin @ FoodFash January 3, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I was curious to read your post to see what you thought of the class since we didn’t get to go to dinner. I’m glad you liked it! She’s been heavy on the arms every time I’ve gone. I love/hate it. Actually, I love/hate the entire hour… So good to see you!!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Pretty Little Smoothies

9 Shannon January 3, 2012 at 11:58 pm

OMG i hate how the good studios hook you with the good deals then expect you to pay 20 per class. Luckily pharmacy school takes nearly a decade so I still take advantage of student discounts. Even the “good” unlimited packages are high and most people have gym memberships as well so that is A LOT of money to spend on fitness (in addition to gear, racing, and other fitness expenditures)
Shannon recently posted..Goat Cheese Linguini

10 Laura January 4, 2012 at 12:09 am

These classes are all the rave right now!! They are so challenging in a different way! But wait, I’m confused… How did you get a student deal? You’re not a student, are you? C

11 Meghann January 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

It’s not a student discount, it’s a NEW student discount as in a new student to the studio. πŸ™‚

12 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 4, 2012 at 6:23 am

Why are classes so expensive? If the prices were lower more people would be able to attend, right? Ugh! Glad to see your review. A Barre class is on my list to try soon.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Running with Celebrities and Friends

13 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 4, 2012 at 6:56 am

I was visiting friends in Charleston yesterday and my friend told me how much she loved barre fitness! I’d never heard of it! Sounds fun (and hard)!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..It’s Baaaaaack!

14 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 4, 2012 at 7:57 am

I love trying new fitness classes but it can definitely get pricey! This looks like fun!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..In a jar

15 Emily January 4, 2012 at 7:57 am

We have a studio here in Cincinnati. I “like” them on facebook, but I have yet to check out a class. I am hoping that they do some killer deal for facebook friends (say… $6/class?) and then I am IN! πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Back to the Real World

16 Jana January 4, 2012 at 8:13 am

I hate how specialty classes like that are always so expensive. We have Pure Barre near me and a good friend of mine is an instructor there so she gets to go for free. This is great because classes are $75 for monthly unlimited, or $20 a class. I think if you find an exercise like this you really love, it is a good idea to just get certified so you can teach and work out at the same time, for a lot cheaper.
Jana recently posted..The Gift that Keeps on Giving

17 Nataliya @irunforicecream January 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

I just tried Barre last week for the first time in Seattle. I was so sore the next day, I loved it! I love that Barre focuses on all the trouble areas, like lower abs, inner thighs and triceps. I feel the same about the price though…too expensive!
Nataliya @irunforicecream recently posted..Kale, its what’s for dinner.

18 Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest January 4, 2012 at 9:36 am

Sounds like fun!! I LOVE those steamer bags!!! I bring them for lunch from time to time…..very delish!!
Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest recently posted..Butterfinger Pie

19 Danielle January 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

There’s a Groupon today for Above the Barre Fitness in St. Petersburg…60% off!

20 melissa (fitnessnyc) January 4, 2012 at 1:24 pm

As you might know, I am obsessed with barre classes!!!!! They are seriously addicting. I would kill for Tampa prices, a class in NYC is $35, and a month is $375! You don’t know how good you have it! Enjoy–see you next month!!!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Getting Back in the Kitchen

21 Anon January 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm

OMG I’ve recently gotten OBSESSED with pure barre!!! They also sucked me in with a deal ($100/month unlimited in Boston for new students or $23/class). Would def be interested to see if you keep going and if you see results.

22 Louisa January 4, 2012 at 9:45 pm

$18! I’m so jealous. The studio I go to here in NYC charges $40 for a single class, of course I get packages so they’re a little cheaper but still…

23 Kristen July 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Found this post while looking up their schedule πŸ™‚

I bought the Groupon a few weeks back. Sounds like it was worth it (great deal) and I’ll get a good workout.

How did the rest of your classes go?
Kristen recently posted..Mom Knows Best – The Advice We Live By

24 Studio Fusion February 5, 2013 at 6:16 am

Thank you for the wonderful blog. I love barre classes, love to do dance always as well as yoga. And your studio seems to be very interesting and helpful. I will definitely share this to my friend and will join you soon!!