It’s 4:20 Somewhere

by Meghann on December 29, 2011

It’s no secret that Derek and I are HUGE fans of Man v Food. When ever we plan a trip somewhere, the first thing we do is look up the location via Man v Food and see what Adam recommends in the area.

Thus far we’ve enjoyed:

All great places that we loved, thanks to Adam. We believed he could do no wrong!

That is until tonight. Man v Food finally threw a pickle at us in Sarasota.

Our California friends, Monica and Ben, are visiting family about two hours south of Tampa this week and wanted a central location to meet-up for food or drinks. I immediately thought of Sarasota and the recent episode I saw of Man v Food that featured a few local establishments, including Munchies 420 Cafe.

The challenge for the episode featured Munchies 420’s “Fire In Your Hole Wings” with a hot sauce made from the extract of ghost chile peppers. They were so hot that Adam couldn’t even make it halfway through them.

We were lucky enough to witness some kid accept the challenge as we were waiting for our food.

He barely made it halfway through his second wing before his right arm started shaking from how spicy the wings were. He quickly called it quits before chugging a cup of milk and running to the nearest patch of grass to allow it all to come back up. Not pretty.

We were’t crazy enough to try that challenge. Instead Ben ordered 10 of the regular ‘hot’ wings that were two notches below the heat level of the challenge wings.

The ‘hot’ wings weren’t bad at all. They had a little spice to them, but it was more of a spice flavor than anything. I think next time I would step it up to the ‘Kick Yo’ Ass Hot’ wings, but that’s as far as I would go.

Munchies 420 may have a hot wing challenge, but they’re more well known for their ‘Fat Sandwiches’ that contain everything from macaroni & cheese, mozzarella sticks, broccoli bites, to spuds IN the sandwich. It’s called ‘Munchies 420’ for a reason ifyouknowwhatImean 😉

The menu sort of reminded me of Ike’s Place in San Francisco (which I LOVED), so I was assuming I would love this place too.

Monica and I joined forces and ordered the ‘Fat Hippy’

Screen shot 2011-12-29 at 11.13.04 PM.png

Before we ordered Monica asked if I wanted to make any changes to the sandwich. I told her we should keep it authentic, their sandwiches are famous for a reason, right? Of course, this was my mistake. Apparently she knows me better than I do when it comes to ordering.

The sandwiches that arrived were HUGE and stuffed full of nothing but bad-for-you foods that were smothered ( and I mean SMOTHERED) in cheddar cheese sauce.

We had fun taking photos and laughing about how bad this sandwich must be for us, but honestly the experience of ordering and laughing about the food was better than the actual food. I would probably rank the sandwich with one of the worse things I’ve ever ate (of course that didn’t stop me from eating my whole half after adding some much needed ketchup and removing half a garden patty).

It was the cheese sauce that did me in. I just can’t stand the stuff, it’s so fake and cheap tasting. Yuck. Not good. When we finished eating and I told Monica my distaste for the cheese sauce she told me that’s why she asked if there were any changes I wanted to make in the beginning. I guess she knew I wouldn’t like it. Girl knows my tastes preferences better than I do.

I will say that the homemade chips that came with the sandwiches were amazing. Yum!

After we polished off our deep-fried-really-bad-for-us sandwiches, we figured it was time to go next door for ice cream.

There’s always room for ice cream!

I had a kid’s size cup of the praline flavor.

Derek had a moment with his moose tracks.

You think after three years of dating a blogger he would learn that if he makes a funny face that it’s free game to go online, right? 😉

The food at Munchies may have been subpar but the ice cream was good and it’s always worth an hour+ drive to see one of my favorite bloggers who I, you know, only see once in a blue moon (or 4 times in the last three months – we’re on a roll!)

Love you Monica! Come back and stay for good. Mmmm kay? 😉

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 29, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Ahahahaha omg I love that you use Man v. Food. He is toomuch. Have you seen Epic Meal Time? Too. much.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Virginia Sunset + Dinner Party

2 wymberley December 29, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I was just prompted to look Man vs. In San Antonio!
wymberley recently posted..Bread! Rosemary Bread! A Lesson Worth Learning

3 megan December 30, 2011 at 12:05 am

Hee, you were in my city! You should have tried Yoders or Old Salty Dog instead of Munchies. Adam went there, too, and they are both a million times better. Munchies serves the kind of food that’s only good when you’re wasted at 2 in the morning (I know from painful personal experience, ha).
megan recently posted..2011.
This has been a hard year. But then, if you’ve been following along since the beginning…

4 PavementRunner December 30, 2011 at 12:08 am

That show rocks and your photos were great. I now want ice cream.
PavementRunner recently posted..2011, A Year of Halfs… Halves?

5 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 30, 2011 at 8:07 am

Last night we watched “Drinking Made Easy” and it made me want to do a barcrawl of the US and follow them around, the drinks looked so good!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Top 10 of 2011!

6 Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals December 30, 2011 at 8:22 am

That is HILARIOUS. I have been thinking about making the trek out there to that restaurant..GLAD you posted that review because I don’t think it’ll be worth the gas money. Maybe if they held back on the cheese it would be better!
Diana @ Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..What I May/ May Not Do Next Year…

7 Hillary December 30, 2011 at 8:22 am

My bf and I are going on vacation in April, and I already have some Adam Richman approved restaurants on our list of must-gos. Sorry your experience wasn’t all that great!
Hillary recently posted..Keeping It Personal (And Professional)

8 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run December 30, 2011 at 8:29 am

LOL to the Derek pic. I would be single if I posted a picture like that of Fabian.

9 stace December 30, 2011 at 9:01 am

Your hair is getting so long! It looks great in the pics and your dress too! I hate cheese sauce as well so I totally agree with you on that one. Up here in the land of cheesesteaks (philly obviously) there is the big “wit or wit out wiz”. AS in cheez wiz. SO GROSS.

10 Sarah M @ Blonde Bostonian December 30, 2011 at 9:03 am

I <3 Man vs. Food. He went to a local place around the corner from my house — Eagle's Deli in Boston and tried their Eagle Challenge Burger: 5 lbs. of burger, 2 lbs. of bacon, and 5lbs. of fries! Unfortunately, food won. But I love that place – our fav. burger joint in the city. It's so cool that you guys try to go places he's been to — he picks the good ones!
Sarah M @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Movie Review: War Horse

11 Meredith December 30, 2011 at 9:10 am

Did you consider another title for your post? Making marijuana jokes on a public website, when you are solely responsible for your brand, seems a little strange to me. I know I have the choice to not read and be a hater or whatever, but I honestly think this was done in very poor taste. Insinuating things about illegal drugs — even if it is the title of the restaurant and not your personal prerogative — seems really irresponsible.

12 Meghann December 30, 2011 at 9:32 am

I just thought it was funny to play off of the restaurant’s name. The truth is I’ve never touched an illegal drug in my life. I can’t even stand the smell of cigarettes, let alone anything else that produces smoke, but I can find the humor in why it’s called Munchies 420. I’ll admit the title may have been in poor taste, but when I thought of it I couldn’t help but laugh. I’m sorry if it offended anyone that read it.

13 Meredith December 30, 2011 at 9:56 am

Thanks for your response! I certainly wasn’t trying to say you were a pot head or anything 🙂 I just thought, as blogs are public, that maybe drug jokes are not appropriate. But I understand where you were coming from, certainly. It is the name of the restaurant, after all.
Meredith recently posted..my resolutions 2.0

14 B December 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Oh please, lighten up!

15 Mary @ food and fun on the run December 30, 2011 at 9:31 am

Oh my goodness – cheese sauce is the worst! It probably would not have been nearly as bad without it. Im sure the post dinner ice cream definitely made it all worth it!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Spin Your Heart Out

16 Sarah December 30, 2011 at 9:40 am

Always room for ice cream I love it! So great you guys make the trip to see each other!
Sarah recently posted..Opposite Ends of the Spectrum

17 Jana December 30, 2011 at 9:41 am

420 munchies is a lot like a restaurant on Ohio State’s campus called PJ’s. It has
all sorts of so called “fat sandwiches” on its menu. I always thought it would make the perfect 2 am college meal, but unfortunately I never gave it a shot! I may have to make a special trip to relive the good old days though just for a sandwich! 🙂
Jana recently posted..Christmas Time is Here…

18 Anne P December 30, 2011 at 9:42 am

Awww miss you guys! Wish I’d been there, too. 🙂

p.s. That photo of Derek is hilarious.

19 Cait's Plate December 30, 2011 at 9:56 am

I actually have all of these places written down to visit that I’ve seen on Man vs. Food. I love that you actually go to them!

That ice cream looks AWESOME.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Cure for the Common Cold

20 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 30, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hahah wow – that cheese sauce was intense.
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..I <3 NYC: Day TWO

21 Allison December 30, 2011 at 10:00 am

Haha, I had to show my fiance the picture of Derek with his ice cream 😛 He makes fun of me sometimes for taking goofy pictures and then begs me to not post them… I like your thinking that if you’re dating a blogger, any picture is free reign!
Allison recently posted..“Life is here, now.”

22 CaitlinHTP December 30, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hahah this blog post title definitely caught my attention.
CaitlinHTP recently posted..Random Thoughts

23 Lee December 30, 2011 at 10:09 am

My husband probably would have tried the ghost chili wings. He likes to think that he could out-eat Adam Richman. (PS – He can’t)
Lee recently posted..Nike Workout App

24 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups December 30, 2011 at 10:14 am

I get weirded out by fake cheese too but the meal looks like a fun experience!
Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups recently posted..Lunch at Anthony’s

25 Army Amy* December 30, 2011 at 10:45 am

Praline ice cream is so yum! The burger looks nasty though. I guess you can’t win ’em all.*
Army Amy* recently posted..NYD: Race Goals

26 Karen @ Run Shop Travel December 30, 2011 at 10:50 am

I visit Sarasota about once per year (coming back in February after the Disney Princess Half!) and love it there but I have to say this place looks a little strange! I was so excited to see Sarasota on Man vs Food but when I saw this place I was like…ummm!?! Sarasota has tons of great restaurants though so don’t give up on it! Where did you go for ice cream? There is a great tart fro yo place called Whiteberry that I like when I come visit!

27 Lindsey @ Sound Eats December 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm

oh man, you should’ve asked me for recommendations! Grew up in SRQ (and am actually here now!). There are FAR better dining options than Munchies.

28 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 30, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Haha I LOVED reading that menu from your picture! There’s a similar place to that in my town. It’s open until 4am…that says it all…
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Breakfast bread pudding and nutrient supplements

29 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

haha the sandwich looks like something I would never touch, but the ice cream looks delicious!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Travel Time!