X-Mas Baking Fest ’11

by Meghann on December 23, 2011

Ready. Set. Bake!

What a day! My feet hurt, my back hurts, and I have flour in my hair and in between my toes. I’d say X-mas Baking Fest ’11 was a huge success. We baked all that needed to be baked and are now ready to sit back and enjoy the holidays. :)

We prepped this morning with a huge grocery shopping trip and the last of our last minute Christmas shopping. Once we had everything we needed, Kelly and I met an old high school/ college friend for lunch at Cracker Jack’s.

Such a beautiful day. Why were we spending inside again?! ;)

Our table started with a shared app of edamame.

And I ordered the blackened fish tacos with a side salad.

The fish was great, but the tortilla was bland and flavorless. I ended up ditching the tortilla and just adding the fish to the side salad. It was much better that way.

With full bellies, we were ready to bake!

We started with a batch of leftover sugar cookie dough I had frozen when I made my little brother cars cookies for his birthday last month. The dough had a chance to defrost on my drive home yesterday and was really easy to work with today.

Having the dough already on hand made the sugar cookie process super easy. we just rolled the dough cut the shapes, and baked until golden brown.

Once the cookies had a chance to cool my mom whipped up a batch of buttercream frosting to coat the cookies with.

Then Kelly got to work decorating.

Sugar cookies? Done.

Next up were Emily’s Crystallized Ginger Spice Cookies

Where does one buy crystallized ginger? Because we couldn’t find it. We ended up following the recipe as written (skipping the crystallized ginger) and still loved them. No crystallized ginger needed. :)

IMG_3860.jpg IMG_3862.JPG

Cooookkkiiieeesss

Not for Sadies.

Every holiday season I like to attempt one fun, crazy dessert. This year’s fun dessert was a Yule Log. I saw one at Derek’s office Christmas party at the beginning of the month and it has been on my mind ever since.

I followed this recipe as suggested by a twitter follower and tried my best to follow it to a t.

Everything looked good and smelled good coming out of the oven.

IMG_3880.JPG IMG_3881.JPG

But looks aren’t everything. #Fail

Back to square 1.

My second attempt at the sponge cake was a little better. I let it bake an extra 5 minutes and made sure to butter up the parchment paper nice and thick so it wouldn’t stick.

Success!

I was even able to roll the cake in the towel without a fuss.

Once the cake was cool I ended up with a nice cake roll.

In went a layer of the mocha cream filling

And my friend Allison and I finished it off with a nice layer of Mocha Buttercream Frosting.

IMG_3923.JPG IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG IMG_3928.JPG

If this cake tastes anything like the failed cake from up above (which was delicious, just a tad undercooked), then I know this baby is good. Can’t wait to dig in tomorrow night!

We finished our baking adventures with…

cranberry sauce

chocolate pie

IMG_3909.JPG IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3912.JPG

and pumpkin bread.

My Dad made an amazing meal of stuffed acorn for dinner.

He just roasted the acorn squash and stuffed them with black beans, rice, and melted cheese.

My dad rocks. :)

My sweet tooth was in overdrive today with all of the sweets. I had my share of cookie halves, crumbs, spoon licks, and ‘samples’ though out the day. It was good – so, so good – but I have a tummy ache to go with it all. Too. Much . Sugar.

I had so much fun today baking up a storm, but tomorrow is going to be even better.

Santa is coming!

Santa is coming!

Santa is coming!

1 carissa December 23, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I love your Yule log! definitely festive! I wouldn’t be brave enough to attempt that one!

merry christmas!
carissa recently posted..Affordable Christmas Crafts

2 Army Amy* December 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Looks like fun! And your apron is supa cute!*
Army Amy* recently posted..One Headphone

3 Cat December 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I’ve found crystallized ginger at Whole Foods….of course! They have everything :)

4 Meg@ runridelove December 23, 2011 at 11:00 pm

That’s my Yule log recipe (I sent the link anyway, didn’t write the recipe!) glad you gave it a shot! Hope you all think it is as delicious as my family does. For a little something special, dust it with powdered sugar before you cut it, to make it look like snow!
Meg@ runridelove recently posted..Bonus Yumday: Chocolate Lava Cake

5 Meghann December 26, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Thank you, Meg! The recipe was fantastic! The log didn’t last more than 10 minutes after we cut into it. ;)

6 wymberley December 23, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Santa!!!! Im excited! We made cinnamon applesauce ornaments. My daughter is making our first apple pie tomorrow!
wymberley recently posted..Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments and A Little Christmas Deer

7 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups December 23, 2011 at 11:49 pm

It always looks like your dad is cooking up something tasty!
Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups recently posted..Eggs and puffs

8 Maureen December 23, 2011 at 11:51 pm

All those treats look SUPER yummy!
Maureen recently posted..Can You Hear Me Now?

9 Elisabeth December 24, 2011 at 5:19 am

Eveything looks delicious! I had a baking day, too, with more to make on Christmas Eve. This year I’m doing: cutout cookies, spiced molasses cookies, glazed orange cookies, cranberry/pistachio biscotti, cranberry white chocolate chip cookies, church windows (basically rocky road fudge with mini colored marshmallows instead of white)and a gingerbread (cake, not cookies). Whew! I’m exhausted just thinking about it all…but I LOVE to bake :)

10 Katie December 24, 2011 at 7:22 am

My dad buys crystallized ginger at a local organic market. Your sponge cake disaster looks so delicious. :-) Merry Christams!

11 Kathy December 24, 2011 at 8:39 am

It all looks great and so much fun! (Cute doggie pic..waiting so patiently for a little some thing to fall???)
Kathy recently posted..5 days….

12 Billie December 24, 2011 at 8:54 am

next time you need the ginger let me know, we have it in abundance here. I love your Yule log. Did you know that the Yule log is a Pagan tradition in England. Pagans (myself included) give a real wooden log which is then burned in the expectation that it lights up the midwinter festival at the time of the solstice. The chocolate one is much much better tho. Merry Christmas.
x
Billie recently posted..Busy busy busy…

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 24, 2011 at 8:57 am

FUN!!! I love being with the fam in the kitchen!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Happy Healthy Holidays

14 Sandy December 24, 2011 at 10:03 am

Everything look’s fantastic! I buy crystallized Ginger at Trader Joes…
Merry Christmas..

15 Courtney December 24, 2011 at 10:15 am

Yule logs are so fun to make, but so difficult! The only recipe that has worked for me was in French, haha :P
Courtney recently posted..Oreo Cookie Fudge

16 Jessica December 24, 2011 at 10:36 am

OMG, I want one of EVERYTHING! I decided I cant even make pumpkin bread anymore because I usually eat the whole loaf myself in less than two days :( And the acorn squash looks awesome!!

17 Lee December 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve seen crystalized ginger at Trader Joe’s if you have one those near you.
Lee recently posted..All Murphy Wants for Christmas

18 Corey @ Learning Patience December 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Wow…looks like SO much fun….that squash looks delicious!
Merrry Christmas!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..8 Miles and Chinese Food

19 Kate December 24, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I’ve always wanted to make a yule log, but I don’t have good luck with making fancy desserts. They always taste good, but they’re never pretty :)

20 Aleyta December 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Your dad always makes the best food!!!!
Aleyta recently posted..On a cooking kick!

21 Alaina December 26, 2011 at 9:51 am

Baking-fests are the best! I’ve done a few. :-) And the resulting sugar coma is so worth it.
Alaina recently posted..Half at the Hamptons – Week 4 (and a Virtual 10k)