more ยป" />

Maddie and Santa

by Meghann on December 22, 2011

When I was at Hyde Park Village on Wednesday night, I noticed a sign for a Santa Village in one of the empty store fronts. It was a cute set-up with a couple of Christmas trees, Santa, his chair, and a photographer to take photos.

When I went in for a closer look, I ran into a girl who was leaving Santa’s Village with her dog in tow. I’d been dying to take Maddie to see Santa this year, but none of the times worked out with the special pet hours the mall had in place or that the pet stores had set up. I asked the girl if they did pet photos with Santa here and she said they did. There were no special hours, just bring the dog in when ever. Sweet!

So I did what any good fur-mom would do and dressed Maddie up in a Christmas themed bandana and reindeer antlers and drove her to Santa’s Village to have her photo taken with Santa.

Only, she wasn’t having it. Maddie is afraid of strangers and, sadly, Santa is a stranger. She wouldn’t go anywhere near him without me by her side. Typical two year old, right? After a few failed attempts, I simply had to pick Maddie up and have my photo taken with Santa too.

Worked like a charm. I even got a smile out of her.

IMG_3789.jpg

Maddie looks adorable. Me? I probably should have worn different shorts. Yikes. In my defense, I didn’t know I was going to have my photo taken. Oh, well.

After our mini-photo session, Maddie and I packed up our Christmas tree and hit the road.

IMG_3773.jpg

Traffic.

We. Hit. Traffic.

Ugh. Driving during the holidays is no fun, but I made it and that’s all that matters.

I had the last Harry & David Pear on the road.

What? Derek said I could have it! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Actually, it was more – ‘pear? what pear? oh, yeah. the one from my parents. you can have it.’

When I made it to my parents’ I reheated some veggie lasagna my sister made, some chicken wings my Dad made and a toasted roll.

My Dad twisted my arm for rocky road ice cream for dessert.

He didn’t have to twist hard. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Now, we’re all chilling in the living room with laptops on our laps. Home sweet home. ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you take your pet to see Santa? How about the kiddos?

1 Gia @ rungiarun December 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I took my twins to see Santa for the first time this year. They stared at him for a while and then my daughter got shy and twisted her head the other way, not looking at him. However there were NO tears ๐Ÿ™‚
And Rocky Road is hands down the best ice cream ever. Yum!
Gia @ rungiarun recently posted..Are you brave enough to Run Naked?

2 Army Amy* December 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I HATE traffic this time of year. Everyone is so testy, me included!*
Army Amy* recently posted..A Day with my Best Friend

3 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 22, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Have fun with the family and Happy Holidays ๐Ÿ™‚
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Toasted Buckwheat Jammie Dodgers

4 Sana December 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Sometimes I forget how young Maddie is ๐Ÿ˜‰
Sana recently posted..I am so hungry I could scream

5 Jen December 22, 2011 at 11:12 pm

That picture is adorable! You look happy and so does Maddie so that’s all that matters! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jen recently posted..Oy Vey

6 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 23, 2011 at 12:34 am

What an adorable photo!
My dad went to the mall the other day and it turned out it was pet day! He told me all about it and I had never heard of such a thing. I guess there was a huge line for it too!! It caused quite the commotion!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Pancakes and popcakes

7 wymberley December 23, 2011 at 12:48 am

I used to love taking my Nepal to see Santa. They secretly love it!
wymberley recently posted..Amazing Beer After A Frustrating Run

8 michelle December 23, 2011 at 1:55 am

My dog is a chicken shit and would probably just bark and not even go near Santa at all.
michelle recently posted..Running Goals and Other Random Things

9 Sarah December 23, 2011 at 8:10 am

I used to go see Santa all the time as a kid. Apparently I wasn’t a fan of him though? Not sure why I kept going back. Such a cute idea to bring your pet though! I would love to bring my parents dog.. he would freak out!
Sarah recently posted..Winter Break Wednesdays

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 23, 2011 at 8:31 am

Well Maddie looks super happy in that photo so I’d call it a success! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..My Top 5 Christmas Movies

11 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 23, 2011 at 8:45 am

Haven’t visited Santa this year….prob won’t –but cute idea!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Healthy Skin Care Routine

12 Cait's Plate December 23, 2011 at 9:23 am

Haha – I think BOTH you and Maddie look adorable ๐Ÿ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Hot Cocoa Friday

13 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 23, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’ve wanted to take my cat to see Santa so badly this year but I was a little bit afraid of what he would do to a stranger (he is scared of strangers as well).

I’m glad Maddie did so well ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Things I Did Thursday- 12-22-2011

14 erica December 23, 2011 at 2:03 pm

i took my dog to see “santa paws” the humane society sets it up and for a “donation” you can have your pet’s photo taken w/santa. it’s a really cute event, and it’s always packed!

i love that maddie is smiling!
erica recently posted..300th post: a little christmas funโ€ฆ