more ยป" />

Lights, Camera, Walk

by Meghann on December 20, 2011

‘Tis the season for lights!

IMG_3693.jpg

This evening I met up with my new friend Sarah to gawk over the elegant Christmas decorations that are currently on display in my maybe-someday-if-I-win-the-lottery future neighborhood home of South Tampa.

Can I move here now? Not only are the homes beautiful and everything I could ever hope for in a future home, but the neighborhood is so festive and oozing with holiday cheer this time of year.

We covered about two miles as we twisted and turned through the streets of South Tampa. Not bad for an evening of sight seeing.

Gorgeous!

Strolling through the holiday lights was the perfect way to spend the evening with a friend. We snuck in some great exercise, saw some pretty sights, and got to enjoy each other’s company at the same time. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_3716.jpg

Do you put up lights for the holidays?

My parents’ go out every year! One day, when I have a house, I’d love to put lights up! For now, a festive wreath on the door will have to do. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since I was meeting Sarah in the Hyde Park area, I decided to sneak down early to get some work done at Sophie’s Cafe.

I ordered my new favorite drink (non-fat latte) and took advantage of the free wifi until my laptop ran out of battery juice.

I snacked on an apple around 4:00ish

And had the last of a bag of trail mix on my way home.

I met Derek for some last minute Christmas shopping at Target after the lights, so by the time we made it home, it was late and we were both STARVING. I whipped up a very quick meal using what ever I could get my hands on in the fridge.

Starting with some rutabaga that I cubed and added to a hot pan with some olive oil.

Then some carrots, onion, and seasoning.

Once the veggies were soft, in went the cherry tomatoes, spinach, and the last of last night’s turkey breast.

I finished it all by adding 6 eggs and doing a scramble.

Done.

I topped mine with some plain greek yogurt and salsa.

For dessert, an attune chocolate bar.

Off to wrap the last of the present stash.

Good night!

1 Ash Bear December 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I recognize those roads! The houses look gorgeous and it seems like such a fun evening!
Ash Bear recently posted..Home for the Holidays Virtual 10K

2 Sana December 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Since, I don’t celebrate xmas, I love that everyone else shares their decorations with us!
Sana recently posted..Mini Desserts Rule

3 Army Amy* December 20, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I love looking at lights, but it’s usually too cold to do it on foot. That’s a nice way to squeeze in some exercise!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Happy Hanukkah!

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 20, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I love looking at Christmas lights. When I was a kid, after leaving our family Christmas Eve party, my parents would drive past this house that had the best Christmas decorations. Each year they would dress up as Santa and Mrs. Clause and hand out candy canes to the kids who came by. To this day, it’s still one of my favorite Christmas memories.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Recovery Check-in

5 Steph @ 321delish December 20, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Reading this made me excited about my move!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..Cookie Extravaganza!

6 @So Sorry, So Annoyed December 20, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I only wish we could walk around dressed like that for looking at lights. We’re having an unseasonably WARM winter with highs in the low 30s this year so far. ๐Ÿ™
@So Sorry, So Annoyed recently posted..#4: Yogurt Ads

7 Lindsey December 20, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I love looking at lights ๐Ÿ™‚ We go out every Christmas Eve together as a family. We put up some lights outside but nothing crazy… but I told my husband that I would like lots of lights next year that blink to the Party Rock Anthem song ๐Ÿ˜‰ haha
Lindsey recently posted..Pinterest Supper

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 20, 2011 at 11:22 pm

you’d never know those pictures were in Florida by the looks of those houses. That’s one thing missed about the northeast when I lived in Florida, everything looked the same with all the stucco. But those houses definitely feel Christmassy with their new england charm ๐Ÿ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pineapple cashew bok choy

9 Elisabeth December 20, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I love going around looking at Christmas lights! I don’t have a good place to walk around & see them, but we take a drive all around a couple of days before Christmas. We don’t really do much in the way of outside holiday decorations – just a big wreath on our garage, a grapevine tree with white lights and a piece of fence painted to look like snowmen. Most of our decorations are inside stuff – like 3 trees! ๐Ÿ˜‰

10 Marilyn @ Forkful December 20, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I’ve been trying to think of ways to cut back on potatoes, and your cubed rutabaga idea sounds like it could be the ticket! I’ve never had rutabaga, though. Is the consistency potato-y after it’s cooked?

My other half has recently started making mashed “potatoes” from purรฉed cauliflower, heavy whipping cream, and butter, so baby steps. ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you for the neat scramble idea!
Marilyn @ Forkful recently posted..Lee & Rick’s Oyster Bar and Seafood House

11 Jessica December 20, 2011 at 11:51 pm

What street is that?!?! I recognize Bayshore but what street has all those lights?!? Must go see!!!

12 Meghann December 21, 2011 at 10:51 am

We walked up and down the streets that ran perpendicular to Bayshore and Swann. I’m not sure of the exact street names, but it was all within walking distance of Hyde Park.

13 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 21, 2011 at 12:19 am

Is that the neighborhoods where we ran Gasparilla? Kinda looks familiar!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Holiday Traditions by Amy

14 Meghann December 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

Yep! Those are the streets that run perpendicular to Bayshore

15 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 21, 2011 at 1:08 am

What a beautifully decked out neighborhood. I want to live there, too ๐Ÿ™‚
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Toasted Buckwheat Jammie Dodgers

16 Amanda December 21, 2011 at 7:02 am

What a beautiful neighborhood. Some of those houses feel very New England-y. I’d love to buy a house in my current neighborhood just outside of Boston, but I’d need about $2.5 million to even get into the market! I think it will be a condo for me, and even those are $$$. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Amanda recently posted..Over-Sized, Double-Stuffed, Chocolate-Dipped Oreos

17 Sarah December 21, 2011 at 7:45 am

I love looking at christmas lights! I feel like my college town does a terrible job with lights/christmas spirit. It’s so sad and there’s a ton of residential neighborhoods too! I can’t wait to decorate my house one day!
Sarah recently posted..Miss Racing

18 Lauri December 21, 2011 at 7:58 am

We live in the city and don’ decorate the outside of our house, but I’m sure we will when we mvoe to the ‘burbs…Check out this block of a street in Baltimoe that goes ALL OUT. it is amazing, creative, cheesy and wonderful all at the same time. There are totally unqiue parts to it, like a Christmas tree made of hubcaps!

Google “34th Street Baltimore” and check out the pictures and yuotube videos. Every single house is decked out to the nines!
Lauri recently posted..Pumpkin Patch Birthday Party

19 Emily December 21, 2011 at 7:59 am

Wow, that neighborhood/area is beautiful! The homes are amazing, and I love how all of them are decorated!
Emily recently posted..An early morning run + b-day celebrations!

20 Hope December 21, 2011 at 8:14 am

That neighborhood is goregous! I love how all of the homes are decorated! ๐Ÿ™‚ When I was younger my mom used to drive around different developments with my sister and I so we could look at all the lights. It’s so fun.
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Honeymoon Ideasโ€ฆ

21 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 21, 2011 at 8:34 am

Those Christmas lights are so pretty. I love looking at Christmas lights – it’s one of my favorite things to do every year!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Darn Those Lucky Charms

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 21, 2011 at 8:55 am

Pretty lights!!
Gah!! I still need to finish my shopping! I hope to get it done tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..A Hilly HIIT Running Workout

23 Laura @ My Pink Thumb December 21, 2011 at 8:58 am

Christmas lights rock! I have these stake lights that actually look like mini trees in the garden during the day, but they glisten and glow at night! ๐Ÿ™‚ .. I have to admit though, they don’t look the same without snow! We don’t even have any here in Ontario!
Laura @ My Pink Thumb recently posted..Weekend Recap: Baking Marathon

24 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 21, 2011 at 9:28 am

That neighborhood looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks like a great way to spend an evening!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..New Yearโ€™s Eve Recipes

25 Heather December 21, 2011 at 9:57 am

Beautiful! I love Christmas lights, it’s a must for me. They just make everything so cheery and beautiful! Since this is our first year in our new home it took awhile for me to get my “vision” actually up on the house but I love how it came out! Here are pics of my house on my blog: http://www.runningwithsass.com/all-lit-up/
Heather recently posted..GNC Live Well Now

26 Mary December 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Brian’s Parents go all out at their house in Orlando. it’s funny because his dad and their neighbors have competitions with eachother to see who can decorate the nicest. his cul-de-sac is always the nicest decorated area of their neighborhood!
Mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Corn and Bean Salsa

27 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I love getting to look at Christmas lights!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAWโ€“Breakfast and Dinner Recipes!

28 Jenna December 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm

i’m a baseball-obsessed reader! are those houses in s. tampa where some of the rays live? idk if you’d know but i was curious!

29 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups December 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I love looking at all the holiday lights! We were slackers this year and don’t have any lights up. Next year, I’m on it!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..With a little help

30 Alaina December 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I love how your quick meals are still so elaborate and looks delicious! ๐Ÿ™‚
Alaina recently posted..On My Christmas List

31 Allison December 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Silly Q: what is rutabaga?!

P.S. I loveee driving and walking through all the neighborhoods during the holiday season and looking at everyone’s [sometimes tacky] decorations! My fave is the simple icicle lights…
Allison recently posted..Teaching From the Heart