Blood Suckers

by Meghann on December 16, 2011

You know you’re from a small town when…

• You leave the house at 7:45am for an 8:00am appointment and still arrive early.
  • There is no need for a GPS because there are only three major roads.
  • You can’t go anywhere without running into at least two people you know (a family friend at the doctor’s office and an old classmate at breakfast).
  • The nurse who takes your blood is sweet as pie and assumes you know everyone at the hospital. (‘Oh, yeah, Sally and Jane just ran that race. You know Sally and Jane, don’t you? Everyone knows Sally and Jane.’ )
  • Nothing ever changes. πŸ™‚

I slept great at my parents’ house last night. I was in bed early, up early, and ran my favorite stretch of sidewalk for an easy 3 miler this morning. It’s hard to believe Christmas is only a week away because of how hot and humid it was. After my shower I changed into a pair of shorts and a tank top and was still sweating. I’m crossing my fingers that some cold air rolls in before next Saturday!

My appointment went great too. I’m switching health insurance companies in the new year and needed to have a health assessment done before they’ll accept me onto the new plan. They checked my weight, blood pressure, asked some simple activity level questions, and took some blood to check everything else.

I have a follow up appointment next week to review all the results. Fingers crossed that everything looks good!

After my appointment I met my future sister-in-law (only two more months until I can drop the ‘future’!) for breakfast at Sunrise Bakery.

IMG_3419.jpg

Sunrise Bakery is my favorite spot in all of Titusville. They have an abundance of freshly baked breads, amazing drinks, and a really friendly staff who always serve with a smile on their face. πŸ™‚

After fasting for well over 12 hours, running 3 miles, and having blood drawn, I was more than a little hungry and ready to eat!

I was tempted by a seasonal muffin, but the Sunrise scones are really the only reason I ever make the trip to Sunrise. They’re the perfect mix of buttery and dry and make my tastebuds swoon in delight. I did venture from my typical orange currant grab and selected my sister’s favorite (the cinnamon scone) for breakfast.

It was a cinnamon bun without the icing. Delicious. πŸ™‚

I love their scones, but they rarely keep me full for long. I needed some protein with my meal, so I ordered the PB Chocolate Bliss smoothie as well.

The chocolate soy, peanut butter, and yogurt smoothie tasted just like a chocolate milkshake. It was a little rich to be paired with a cinnamon scone for breakfast, but that didn’t stop me from finishing the whole thing.

What’s your favorite scone?

The cinnamon was good this morning, but the orange currant remains my favorite. πŸ™‚

1 Cait December 16, 2011 at 10:15 am

I try to avoid baked goods, but that looks sooooo good. definitely looks worth a splurge..mmm!

2 Stephanie December 16, 2011 at 10:23 am

Love me some scones, too good! There is a farm by my house and they make incredible blueberry scones, yum. Thinking about it has been too long, I will have to go get one lol.

I can’t believe how hot it is by you, i am a bit uh jealous? is that how you say it?

3 Destiny December 16, 2011 at 10:31 am

Hello! I am a long time reader but have never commented before however this post has me quite worried. I live in Orange County CA and I am running my first marathon in WDW in January! Along with being stressed about everything that could go wrong I am now pretty stressed about the weather. Living in CA I don’t run in humidity nor do I tolerate temps above 75 really well. Is there any advice you can give? I was going to wear tights but now I am seriously re-thinking this. I am not a fast runner by any means and I have been training the “Jeff Galloway” method. I would appreciate any advice you can give – I was in WDW two winters ago for the Frostbite of ’10…..while I do not want it to be that cold – I was hoping the humidity would be gone by January 8th. Thank you again!

4 Meghann December 16, 2011 at 10:44 am

Florida’s weather is very, very tricky. One day it can be hot and humid, the next it could be dry and cold. When I also ran the Disney Marathon in 2010 when it was 20 degrees at the start and I slipped on ice at the water stop at mile 6! The year before that a huge heat wave came through and it was 60 degrees at the start and in the 70s at the finish. Honestly, there’s not way to predict what the weather will be like in January right, but you can cross your fingers and hope and pray that the humidity goes away. If you do end up running in the heat, I would just suggest more electrohydrates than your use to and taking it easier than you originally intended. Good luck!

5 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner December 16, 2011 at 10:36 am

Our cooks at school make the best scones! They make a cranberry white chocolate that is out of this world good!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..a break for us [+ a video]

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 16, 2011 at 10:57 am

There is nothing better than peanut butter and chocolate! I’m so jealous of your smoothie πŸ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Eggnog Overnight Oats

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 16, 2011 at 11:23 am

I would’ve said anything with chocolate chips in it up until recently but then I made orange and pomegranate scones that were out of this world good. They’re my new favorite πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Rustic rosemary cheddar bacon biscuits

8 Amanda December 16, 2011 at 11:24 am

I’m totally with you on orange currant scones. My mom used to make them all the time growing up. So good!
Amanda recently posted..Boston to Austin Food Blogger Gift Swap

9 Shanna, like Banana December 16, 2011 at 11:36 am

Peet’s maple scones are pretty delicious. And oh how I love scones!

10 Maureen December 16, 2011 at 11:40 am

Oh, I LOVE scones. Pumpkin, blueberry or even plain chocolate chip…if it’s a scone, it is my friend during the cold winter months!
Maureen recently posted..Almost There!!

11 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 16, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love scones if they aren’t too dry–but cinnamon anything is delicious to me!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On : Calf Raises

12 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I honestly can’t remember the last time I ate a scone! I guess I don’t eat baked goods much at all
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..I Love My Parents

13 Courtney December 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I like chocolate chip scones!
Courtney recently posted..Sticky Notes

14 colleen December 16, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Love scones. Haven’t made some in a while – need to get on take after the holidays. Anyways, love white chocolate and dried apriot or cranberry bits. I vote for the nice weather to stay until the 27th or so. πŸ˜‰

15 Elisabeth December 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I love pretty much any scone! My favorites are orange, cinnamon and blueberry πŸ™‚

16 Corey @ Learning Patience December 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm

i hate having my blood taken..yuck! its the worst..but i am a huge baby. Those scones look amazing! i am in NyC eating my heart out! So much great food – so little time! Long run tomorrow…hopefully the wind dies down…its SO windy here rti now.
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Wanna Get on Santa’s Nice List?

17 joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm

That scone looks massive haha and delicious!
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..GIVEAWAY: Shabby Apple jewelry

18 Rosa - Fitness Food Fulfilled December 16, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Scones are so great! My favorite have to be blueberry ones. I make them at home sometimes for breakfast and they’re always delicious. Having a cast-iron pan to cook them in makes all the difference. Yum!
Rosa – Fitness Food Fulfilled recently posted..Cookie Improvisation

19 Cinnamon @eatpraytri December 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Cinnamon scones are my FAVE! I wonder why that would be???! πŸ™‚
I also enjoy anything that has a nut in it, but no fruit. I oddly don’t like fruit baked into my breakfast items. Fresh fruit on the side is the way to go for me!
Cinnamon @eatpraytri recently posted..Reverse Straddle Lunge Exit

20 Cait's Plate December 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I love the cinnamon chip and pumpkin scones from Starbucks. Get me every time.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Hot Cocoa Friday

21 Sarah December 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm

My favorite scone is the cranberry orange from Starbucks. I get them only on rare ocassions – but they’re so good!
Sarah recently posted..Holiday Fun

22 Army Amy* December 16, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I can’t run without eating first. I’d be too distracted by how loud my stomach grumbles!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Master Becomes The Student

23 Allison December 18, 2011 at 8:36 am

I’ve never had a scone! If I have a choice of a muffin or a scone, the moist and fluffy muffin always wins πŸ˜› Blueberry, cranberry orange, or cinnamon-raisin are my faves!
Allison recently posted..O Christmas Tree