more ยป" />

Eggnog Oats Take II

by Meghann on December 15, 2011

Do you know what’s better than adding eggnog to your bowl of hot oats?

Adding it to you overnight oats.

Oh, yes. Much, much better. ;)

Last night I mixed up a batch of overnight oats with 1/2 cup of rolled oats, plain greek yogurt, eggnog, raisins, cinnamon, and chia seeds in the last of a container of Magee’s Peanut Butter that I picked up in Los Angeles last month. I placed the mix in the fridge overnight and pulled it out when I was done with my session of NROLFW 5B at the gym them this morning.

I also crumbled one of last night’s cookies on top with an apple.

The eggnog made the overnight extra thick and creamy and gave them a nice holiday spice that paired perfectly with the apple and extra cinnamon on top. The eggnog flavor was definitely more evident in the cold overnight batch of oats rather than the hot oats.

Kitchen Lights

So this is sort of a random topic, but let’s just file this under reasons Meghann is crazy #445.

Last night I made dinner with Courtney then left the leftovers on the kitchen stove for Derek to eat when he came home from work around 8:30. He came home, heated up the leftovers, turned off the kitchen lights, then proceeded to pass out on the couch a little after 9:00.

Here’s where I’m crazy. Whenever Derek’s not in the kitchen he turns the lights off. For some reason this always throws me off because I’ve sort of conditioned myself over the years to think that once the lights are off the kitchen is closed for the night and I rarely go back in it. This is probably a big reason why I’m not a big nighttime snacker.

Anyways, since the kitchen is ‘closed’ in my mind, I mentally assume that the dishes have already been done and the kitchen has been cleaned, since I usually leave the light on to remind me to do so until it’s done. However there are nights, like last night, when Derek turns the kitchen light off and I never go anywhere near the kitchen again (assuming it’s ‘closed’) until the next morning, then discover dirty dishes still in the sink and leftovers still on the stovetop.

Last night wasn’t the first time and it probably won’t be the last. It’s just one of those weird adjustments that happens when you move in with someone. Leaving the kitchen lights on until the kitchen was ‘closed’ was never a habit I realized I had until I moved in with someone else and noticed our habits didn’t mesh.

Told you it was random, but I also thought it was funny. :)

What’s a weird habit you didn’t realize you had until you moved in with someone else?

*side note: it was my turn to do dishes because Derek had done them the night before. also, Derek still took the leftovers to work this morning, he didn’t seem to mind that they had been sitting out all night. ;)

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run December 15, 2011 at 9:59 am

ha ha – oh the difference of living with a boy!! I tend to open something, and leave the protective stuff on the counter. Like if I open a jar of peanut butter, I tend to leave the foil part just hanging on the counter. My husband brought this to my attention, so I am much better about it. But its just the little things ;)

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 15, 2011 at 9:59 am

I can understand that habit. My husband tends to do the same thing and there’s nothing worse than waking up to dirty dishes or even stuff that’s been sitting in the drying rack when you wake up in the morning. After dinner, I like to clean up ASAP so I can “relax” :)

3 Jennifer Kiss December 15, 2011 at 10:07 am

I am disgusted that he ate food that had been sitting out all night….especially with melted cheese. Won’t that make him sick??

4 Meghann December 15, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’ve been known to eat pizza that has been sitting out all night before (especially in college). I’m sure the food is fine.

5 Amy December 15, 2011 at 10:28 am

I have also been known to eat leftovers that have been sitting out all night, and I’ve never had any ill effects. I hate wasting food SO MUCH that I’m always willing to take the chance. I actually think that many of us are overly freaked out about getting sick from food…that’s not to say it CAN’T happen, just that the chances are awfully low. Same reason I keep eating raw cookie batter…yes, a few people have gotten salmonella, but most of them haven’t. And licking the beaters is a pleasure I just can’t deny. :)

6 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 15, 2011 at 11:25 am

It’ll be fine. I have definitely done the pizza-the-next-morning thing after it sits on the counter (more recently than I want to admit, haha). He’ll live :)

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 15, 2011 at 10:10 am

Haha – I hate waking up to dirty dishes! Although I guess one habit I have that I didn’t realize before moving in with roommates is that I tend to use the same glass all the time and leave it on the counter all day (rather than put it in the dishwasher or sink like they do.) I guess it might be annoying because technically, there’s a dirty glass on the counter, but I just don’t see the need to take out a brand new one when I’ve only used it once!

8 Jen December 15, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’ve had a really hard time adjusting to coming home or waking up to a mess that I didn’t create. For some reason knowing it is there and that I did it makes it easier to handle. Sometimes I wish my fiance would write me a note, “Beware, mess in kitchen,” so I had some warning!

9 Emily G. @ From My Messy Desk December 15, 2011 at 10:32 am

Me too!! My boyfriend leaves his dishes on the coffee table and it annoys the you-know-what out of me!! Walk 10 steps and put it in the sink. I’ll even put it in the dishwasher – just don’t leave it sitting out!!

10 Cait's Plate December 15, 2011 at 10:19 am

Haha I hear you. It’s funny how all those little quirks you don’t even realize you have get realized when you live with someone else!

11 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 15, 2011 at 10:24 am

Cute story about the kitchen. I can so relate to that. But I guess compromise is what we eventually learnt. Bet now that it’s up on the blog, not sure if Derek would dare to do it again? :D

12 Mallory @ Have Your Cake December 15, 2011 at 10:25 am

haha – that’s funny. i live alone so unfortunately i do the dishes every night (And sometimes in the morning ;) )

13 Rachel December 15, 2011 at 10:25 am

I have never heard of lights off kitchen closed before! That’s so funny.

14 Meg at runridelove.com December 15, 2011 at 10:47 am

I apparently do not screw the tops on bottles and jars back on all they way, and its drives my bf crazy! The seltzer goes flat, sometimes something get spilled (only by him)…I have never thought twice about it, but it seems to drive him up a wall. Ha.

15 Meghann December 15, 2011 at 11:56 am

haha! I have to side with the bf here. I always screw the lids on super, super tight, so that sometimes they’re hard to unscrew. I’m paranoid about things spilling or going flat. lol

16 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

My boyfriend likes to keep the lights off. So sometimes when I get home at 5:30 I’ll see him sitting in the dark on the couch on his computer. I’ve always felt like when the lights are on its day time and I don’t see the need to turn the lights off before bed (unless I’m watching a movie or something). Its weird and one of those things we’ve had to compromise on- I don’t like living in a cave :P

17 Meghann December 15, 2011 at 11:58 am

I’ve found Derek the same way! I love lights, but he loves the dark. So strange to me.

18 Samantha December 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I think this is a total boy thing. My boyfriend, Dustin, is the same way — and all five of my brothers do it too.

19 SpaceySteph December 16, 2011 at 11:32 am

I’m afraid of the dark. There I said it. I leave the lights on in the kitchen and living room until I go to bed, and then I go turn the bedroom light on before I turn out the others. And then I turn on the bedside lamp before I turn off the overhead light. My boyfriend also doesn’t leave lights on… he just pads around in the dark until he reaches the room he’s going to. But then the monster under the bed might get him. Yes, I am mentally a 5 year old.

20 theswanin.me December 15, 2011 at 10:57 am

That is really interesting about the lights off, kitchen closed thing. For me I turn the lights off because there is no one in the room and I am saving electricity. But for those night I am slacking about putting away the leftovers this would be great! Since hubby is now a SAHD and college student he gets to do all the dishes. Heheh!

21 Sara @my less serious life December 15, 2011 at 11:35 am

i had leftover eggnog the other day and did exactly this – added them to my overnight oats (actually i did it twice). yummmmmmmmm!

22 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 15, 2011 at 11:36 am

I honestly barely remember as the cop and I have been together since the beginning of time. I still hate dealing with socks left everywhere, though. GRRR.

I almost put eggnog in my ooiaj last night! I wish I would have!

23 Amanda December 15, 2011 at 11:47 am

I can relate to this. I have this need to do the dishes before I can relax at night. It stresses me out to wake up to dirty dishes everywhere, while my husband could care less. He also has this habit of opening cabinets and not closing them. Drives me nuts! haha

24 Megan December 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm

My boyfriend does this too! If he gets home before I do, I will walk into the kitchen to literally every cabinet being wide open…what??? What in the world did you need that caused you to open every cabinet (and not close it)? Drives me crazy haha

25 diana@mymarblerye December 16, 2011 at 10:17 am

OMFG THIS TOO. I tell my hubs that he is like a ghost in the sixth sense! opening cabinets and leaving!

26 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 15, 2011 at 12:08 pm

My thing is opening and closing drawers and doors…..they need to be closed ALL the way! hah.

Love the b-fast idea!

27 Colleen December 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

i’ve had fights w/ my husband about this. before he moved in, i always kept the little above-sink light on until i went to bed because i am in and out of that space all night long. once it’s turned off, it’s bedtime and the kitchen is closed. now that we are living together he seems to have a hard time remembering this and keeps turning the dang light off before it’s time to! boys are annoying!

28 Krista December 15, 2011 at 12:27 pm

You bring up a good point, I always say I never learned so much about myself until I moved in with my (now) husband. Dishes in our house have to be done right after we eat, and it’s usually me doing them. If I want it done (and I do) I just do it myself. I would rather just do the chore than waste the effort on begging him to do it. He does some chores that I hate doing like garbage & vaccuuming without ever asking me to do it so I don’t mind.

29 Samantha December 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm

It’s very true, you never realize your habits until you’re living with a boy. Dustin always leaves his socks everywhere, which drives me up a wall. Either keep them on your feet, in a drawer, or in the laundry basket! He wonders why so many go missing….I always have to drink a full glass of water before I go to bed (I don’t know why). So I’ll fill a glass, go take off my makeup, etc, and when I get back, Dustin will have drank some! He doesn’t understand why it has t be full. I don’t either, but it’s a weird quirk I have. Heh.

30 Allison December 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I’ve [and my Dear] noticed that I may be an OCD cleaner and planner, but I never can seem to remember to replace the trash bag in the kitchen after I take it out, put a new roll of toilet paper or papertowels after I finish a roll, and I tend to leave the water running when I’m wiping down the counters… No logic :P

31 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair December 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm

GORGEOUS breakfast, Meghann!

I am going to make the very same mix this weekend…with the exception of the crumbled cookie because I am the world’s WORST baker!

32 Hannah N. December 15, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I just moved in with my boyfriend a week and a half ago and it’s great, but it’s also sooo weird. We’ve been together for 4 years so we are very used to each other’s habits, but you forget about all the little things you like to do and then when your significant other does it differently it does throw you off!

33 Elisabeth December 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I’ve eaten leftovers that were left out accidentally before – never had a problem. I wouldnt drink milk that sat out or eat poltry that was not refrigerated, but otherwise it’s really not a big deal to me ;)

34 Reenie December 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Ahhh reading all these reminds me why I’m single. HA!

35 Chatelaine December 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm

i can’t think of my habits off the top of my head but i remember 2 of my DH’s habits back when we moved in together.
1) he’s an adamant toilet paper rolls from top kind of guy
2) all light switches when they’re the two switch at either ends of the room for same light kind, have to be down when the light is off – he’ll go to the other side of the room to make sure it’s his way.

HILARIOUS when I found him walking in the dark!!

36 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 15, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Lol I started living alone for the first time last year, so I’m in the opposite boat, no quirks because everything is normal relative to me!

37 Katie @ Pop Culture Cuisine December 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I have a very runny nose, like seriously runs constantly…well according to my hubby, I leave my “snot rags” everywhere. I don’t mean to, it’s just that I typically use one and then forget to throw it away, but I never really noticed until he drew my attention to it. Now after 3 years I am pretty good about throwing those away, however apparently my new bad habit is half empty glasses of water all over the house :)

38 MelanieF December 15, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I have to say I don’t have that problem, we always turn off the lights when we are not in a specific room. In the kitchen, there’s always the little light above the stove that’s turned on during the evening and the small light in the living room because we are there.The one thing that drove me crazy when we moved in together, was that he always left all of his things on the kitchen table, like his keys, his wallet, papers and more. I finally told him that it drove me crazy to have a part of the kitchen table so full of things that I bought a small cute basket to put his things in and now it’s near the phone, on the phone table and he leaves his stuff in there when he comes home. Much better!! :-)

39 diana@mymarblerye December 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

OMFG. i get so pissed at this. I wake up and if i see dirty sh*t everywhere it instantly puts me in a bad mood. INSTANTLY. I yelled at the hubs that I won’t have children with him till he learns to clean after himself or I’ll get postpartum depression and ruin our children!!! okay. rant over.

40 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery December 18, 2011 at 10:00 am

It would drive me nuts to leave the light on until things are done in the kitchen. I totally understand the logic and it would be a nice reminder to finish things up, no doubt.

But I shut off the lights *every* time I leave a room unless I’m going right back in 30 seconds later. So if I’m eating in the living room or the patio or whatever, the lights in the kitchen go off. If I’m having tea after dinner, the lights in the kitchen are off. I don’t mind leaving dishes until the next day sometimes, though, either, or until much later in the evening….so having the light on in there if I’m not in there immediately? I’ll pass, hehe.

41 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery December 18, 2011 at 10:03 am

Oh, oh, I forgot to mention the whole reason I clicked through to comment….

I first read this as “eggroll oats” and when I saw the first picture to match, I thought that was avocado or cabbage or something else not breakfasty at all….in a prepacked tub (instead of a reused one, that is). I was kind of grossed out, even though I like really weird food combos, lol.