Losing the last five years

by Meghann on December 8, 2011

We’re out of bread in my house.

No rolls. No wraps. No whole wheat slices of carby goodness. No fun.

What we do have are vegetables. Tons and tons of vegetables. A plethora of zucchini, broccoli, carrots, green beans, spinach, etc filled to the brim in my produce drawer. I guess I got a little overzealous with wanting to introduce as many vegetables as possible back into my diet after the delicious indulgence fest that was Vegas while grocery shopping on Tuesday.

aww… Vegas. I miss you already.

The insane amount of veggies in the fridge made them impossible to ignore when I was making my lunch today. What started as a platter plate turned into a salad when I got a little crazy with the chopping.

In the bowl:

• spinach
  • broccoli
  • carrot
  • green beans
  • black beans
  • hummus
  • shredded cheese
  • peppercorn dressing

I also got a little crazy with the bulk of fiber in this meal and could only eat 3/4 of the salad before my stomach felt like it had expanded to its breaking point and couldn’t eat anymore. Maybe a whole stalk of broccoli was a bit too much?

No worries, no food went to waste. I learned today that if you cover veggies with enough cheese/dressing/beans that Maddie will eat just about anything. Baby girl licked the bowl clean when I was done.

The Vow

The other week I saw a preview for the movie The Vow that really stuck with me.

First I was obsessed because I’m a huge Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams fan (love them). Then I noticed that the delicious Scott Speedman (aka Ben, the love of Felicity’s life) plays a rather important supporting role as the main character’s former fiance. Finally, any sappy love story always catches my attention (I’m a hopeless romantic).

All of those things made me smile, but it wasn’t until I went home and looked the preview up again on YouTube, that the actual storyline really got me thinking.

The Vow is very loosely based on the story of Kim and Krickett Carpenter, who were in a horrific car accident in the early 90s. When Krickett woke up, the last five years had been erased from her memory. That would be like waking up today and still believing it’s 2006. She woke up not recognizing her husband, not knowing where she lived, or even remembering all of the great accomplishments she had achieved in the last five years. Crazy.

Can you imagine how different your state of mind would be if you woke up and weren’t able to recall the last five years of ups and downs, triumphs and defeats, and love and lost that made you who you are today?

What Kim and Krickett struggled with the most was that Krickett woke up the same person she was five years ago, but not necessarily the same person she was right before the accident. Five years may not seem like much to some, but if you think about how much you’ve grown or how much you’ve learned since 2006, it can start to feel like a lifetime ago.

I know if I think back to where I was five years ago my life was totally different.

In 2006:

• I was a senior in college
  • I had never run more than a mile in my life
  • I ate a diet that was vastly different than how I eat today
  • I lived in Tallahassee with three roommates that I was very close with
  • Derek and I had just officially ended things a couple of months before (we casually dated in college for a year)
  • I had just started dating my ex (and went on to date him for 2 years)
  • I still had no clue what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

In truth, I was a totally different person than I am today. If I lost all of my memories I wouldn’t be able to recall:

• why my ex and I didn’t workout
  • how Derek and I were able to reconnect and make it work so many years later
  • how I ended up in Tampa
  • why I started running or all of my big running accomplishments
  • what twitter is, how to blog, or even how to operate a smartphone
  • I would also be really confused that my sister and Anthony were engaged, considering how different both of them were back then (if you told me 5 yrs ago that they would end up together, chances are I wouldn’t have believed you. now I couldn’t imagine them not being together)

Think back to where you were five years ago and how that differs from where you are today. All of the accomplishments you would have missed out on – marriages, children, or even running a marathon – all gone. The last five years have been the best years of my life, I’m not sure who I would be if I lost them.

Sorry about that. I sort of when off on a tangent there. For some reason the preview really stuck with me and the idea of what it would be like to lose five years has just been heavy on my mind. I really can’t wait to see the movie and plan to read The Vow as soon as they release it on paperback in February (original editions of the book are a little $$ on Amazon).

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 8, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Good post, Meghann.

Five years IS a long time! Five years ago, I had just completed my first semester on an internship at Walt Disney World…seems like forever ago!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Cuckoo for Koko Head.

2 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm

what an interesting thought! I was certainly not as happy as I am today!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Ode to the omelette!

3 Mary @ food and fun on the run December 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Love this post! It is definitely a crazy way to think for sure! I could not imagine going back 5 years. I was a junior in college then, and still had no idea what i wanted to do. I was focused on being healthy, but still not to where I am at today. I definitely can not wait to see that movie. I think I might have to bring some tissues – the preview makes me tear up!

4 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete December 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Wow. You’re right. A lot HAS happened in the past five years. So much was different back in 2006. But I think I’d be pleasantly surprised and really happy with how much life looks now, five years later!
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..New Post-Baby Distance Record —> 5 Miles!

5 Marissa @ applesofmyeye December 8, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Ok so I know I’m sort of looking at this post “backwards” in a sense but it’s so weird that think that in 5 (well… 7) years my life could be sososo completely different. I’m a sophomore in college right now and still feel so young with no responsibilities yack! kind of scary to think about
Marissa @ applesofmyeye recently posted..A Rainy WIAW

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 8, 2011 at 3:28 pm

So interesting! I saw this preview when I saw Breaking Dawn and I too was intrigued–and said to my husband, I can NOT wait to see that! hah.

I have totally learned a lot in 5 years. Like crazy a lot. I would’ve still been in college! Yikes! hah.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Chocolate Milk After A Workout

7 Amanda December 8, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I think we have the opposite grocery situation – I have lots of bread, but almost no veggies! I’m going to have to get creative for dinner.

I can’t even fathom what it would be like to not remember the last 5 years. It’s really interesting to think back to how my life was then. So much has changed – from my career, to where I live, to my friends – the list goes on. Thank you for reminding me to take a moment to reflect. 🙂
Amanda recently posted..Gingerbread Cookie Butter Smoothie

8 Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! December 8, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Very thought-provoking! Especially when I consider how much I’ve changed even just since I started my blog a little over a year ago! 5 years is a significant chunk of my life since I’m still so young, but even if I were to have lost only a single year I realize how different things would be. I wouldn’t understand how I was 60 lbs lighter and no longer obese, how I healed from my disordered relationship with food, and I would straight-up laugh in your face if you told me I ran a 15K last weekend! Great post, lady. 🙂
Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! recently posted..I Don’t Wanna Grow Up…

9 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine December 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm

You’re right Meghann—it is a really interesting concept. 5 years ago, I also had never run a mile and was coming out of a really bad-for-me-relationship. 5 years can change so much! That would be a huge part of your life memories to lose, no matter where you are in life I’m sure!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Christmas Cheer

10 Chef Katelyn December 8, 2011 at 3:44 pm

True Life: that almost happened to my Dad. Thank goodness it was only short-term. As for the stalk of broccoli, that is a TON of fibah! Been there done that, nursed the tummy ache, drank the tea. Works every time.
Chef Katelyn recently posted..Chobani Girl fo Lyfe.

11 Rachel December 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I just got married 3 months ago and the threat of losing all the memories of our beautiful wedding day is so sad!

Yet another reason to keep blogging! Just in case my memory gets wiped, I’m glad to have everything written down in blog form.
Rachel recently posted..Practical Holiday Gifts for Your New Husband

12 Meghann December 8, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I didn’t even think about that, but you’re right! At the very least I would have over three years of memories in this blog that I could read and and reflect on if this ever happened.

13 Dori December 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Funny timing with this post, because I just tweeted that I realized that I’m wearing the same winter coat to my office holiday party tonight that I wore to my first office holiday party in 2006. And I wondered if that was strange. I would have missed my entire working life if I lost these last five years!
Dori recently posted..What Exercise Taught Me About Myself

14 Lindsey December 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm

That sounds like a really good book/movie. I will watch for it now 🙂
5 years ago I was in University, living in another city but I was with my then boyfriend, now husband so thankfully there wouldn’t be too much confusion there. Health wise I didn’t eat near as healthy, ran never ran more than around the block, and now I have ran a marathon. It would be very strange for sure.
Lindsey recently posted..Camera Fun

15 Ericka December 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I hadn’t heard of that movie till just now…oh I love those two as well! Wow, that is a really strange though trying to make sense of your life if you woke up with five years missing. In a way it makes me miss those days but…wow. Loko forward to seeing this!
Ericka recently posted..7 Steps to a "Fitfluentially" Balanced Life

16 Kate December 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Five years is a long time, but it feels like just yesterday in so many ways! I was a senior in high school, which I wish I could re-do. Then I would take school seriously- my biggest regret is screwing around in school.
Kate recently posted..WIAW (When I Was Studying)

17 Robin December 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I am acutally reading a similar book right now, What Alice Forgot. It is about a woman who falls at the gym, hits her head and loses the last ten years of her life. Years that include 3 children (whom she can even recognize), a nasty divorce (when 10 years ago she was madly in love) and a best friend who came and went without her even knowing.

Its very good and I am anxious to see how all the pieces fit by the end!

18 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner December 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm

OMG, my life would be so different. I can’t even imagine! 5 years ago I was a senior in college, planning my wedding, and not knowing what I’d be doing in 5 years! Ha! Thankful for all I have now!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..germaphobe

19 erica December 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

that is a completely heartbreaking situation. i would be devastated.
i need to go look up this movie!
erica recently posted..vampires, balloons, & plaster of paris

20 Allie December 8, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I can’t wait to see that movie either!! It looks so good.
Allie recently posted..Fun in Huatulco

21 Alexa @ Simple Eats December 8, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I saw the trailer for this movie too and thought the exact same thing. It seems like such a scary thing for both people to go through!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Getting In The Spirit

22 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Oh wow, five years ago today my life was in a bad place, zero self confidence, college freshman, I can’t even imagine loosing everything I’ve done to become the person I am now.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Breakfast for Lunch!

23 Jessica December 8, 2011 at 5:02 pm

If I lost memory of the past year I would go insane.. an engagement, left good job, moved to a new state, got new job, bought a house.. I mean holy crap.
Jessica recently posted..Luck Is An Attitude

24 Marty December 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm

5 years ago I was single and partying all over Miami. Today I’m living with my fiance and planning my June wedding. Life definitely takes you for a ride. 5 years ago I was nowhere near who I am today.
Marty recently posted..Vegetable Quinoa Recipe

25 colleen December 8, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I haven’t even heard of the movie, book, or story. 5 years is a lot of time with so much change. I would question my daughter (she’ll be 3 in March), how my sons got so much older (they are 8 and 6 now), why we live back in Iowa and not NC. Do much can happen in a year, let alone 5. I can’t imagine.

26 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 8, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I am dying to see this movie! Channing Tatum is too beautiful for words. Time really has changed so much. It’s crazy to think about. I think so many things have changed within just a year!

27 Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets December 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Interesting topic to ponder – we change so much over the course of five years. I hope the movie has a happy ending or I don’t even want to see it!!! But wow- it really has me thinking about how much I have accomplished over the last 5 years- if I could go back 5 years I would change a few things of course as we all probably would- but I would HATE to not remember what I need to change-
Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets recently posted..10 reasons YOU should sign up for a 5K “race”

28 Cait's Plate December 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm

That clip definitely makes you think! I truly believe everything happens for a reason and I’d be sad if I ever couldn’t remember or cherish each and every moment in my life!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

29 Bess December 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I love this post, Meghann! Boy, would I have missed out on so much during the last 5 years, especially with my son! Great food for thought!
Bess recently posted..Replays – GSC Holiday Classic

30 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) December 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I love thinking about this stuff! It’s so crazy, isn’t it.. really gets your mind working about what’s important regarding of time and all that deep stuff haha. And Channing Tatum is adorable.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Working from home

31 Rosa - Fitness Food Fulfilled December 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

OMG, I can not imagine losing the last five years because they truly have been the best of my life (getting my MBA, leaving a bad relationship, finding and falling in love with and marrying my husband, getting some great jobs, becoming a stepmom, making some great friends, buying my own house on my own, starting to blog, running more consistently, and getting pregnant). Your 20s are great, but believe me, your 30s will be even better!
Rosa – Fitness Food Fulfilled recently posted..Littlest Heartbeat

32 wymberley December 8, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I think this is one of my favorite posts of yours. I may steal the idea…
Thinking about the ups and downs of 5 years time truly does boggle the mind and make you realize how much things change.
wymberley recently posted..Thoughts On Good Food And Christmas Programs In Public School

33 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Five yeas ago I was getting married and then pregnant with my son. Imagine not being able to remember your kids! Crazy.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Two Left Feet

34 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 8, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I saw the trailer for that movie a few months ago and told whit that’s where he’s taking me for valentine’s day. I think I made him puke a little. lol!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Everyday Really by M

35 Katelyn @ Health in the Twp December 8, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Wow I’ve never really thought about that. It’s crazy if you think about it! Life would be so much different for me. For one I wouldn’t remember my best friends because I’ve gotten so close with them in the past couple years. Great post!

36 Phyllin' Phat December 8, 2011 at 11:01 pm

It’s so hard to get back on track after a Vegas Vacation…I’ve been on Vegas mode all week…I’m jonesing for late night snacks and oversized martinis. *sigh*

37 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 9, 2011 at 12:43 am

That movie looks so good — I can’t wait!

38 Stephanie December 9, 2011 at 7:27 am

How interesting. I want to read that but it also sounds crazy sad bu maybe not as sad as not having any carbs in ur house haha just kidding sorta
Stephanie recently posted..What Las Vegas Taught Me – How to Run a Race at Night

39 Allison December 9, 2011 at 9:41 am

I can’t even imagine not remembering the past five years. Like you, I’m a completely different person and so many things have happened that have shaped who I am. Some things may have been less than delightful, some tears were shed, and some laughs were had… But I wouldn’t change any of it- I’m in one of the happiest places I’ve been in a long time 😀

P.S. We made a meatball pasta dish that was fab last night, I wish I had taken som pics… But I bet it will be remade again!
Allison recently posted..SUPERfoods

40 lauren December 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

Oh my gosh, I can’t even imagine losing the last 5 years! 5 years ago today, I was finishing up my last semester in college (December graduation) and my now husband and I got engaged that same month. Gosh, December 2006 was a busy month for me 🙂
I would’ve missed a lot of crazy interviews – including one at a popular car rental company and one for Macy’s management training program, becoming a Technical Writer (much, much better fit than management!), moving out on my own, meeting my niece and nephews, getting married, seeing my parents remarry…I’d be pretty confused.
I love movies that make me think, I can’t wait to see this one!
lauren recently posted..Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell Run 5K – 2011 (PR)

41 Chris December 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Like everyone else, this post really stopped and made me think…and made me sad! i just got married 2 months ago and if you went back 5 yrs… it was before my husband and I even knew each other. We were both in other relationships – I can’t imagine waking up and having no memory of him and even more awkward, still being in love with my ex- who now has another relationship and 2 kids of his own! But it would be just as sad for him to wake up and not even remember me and instead be in love with his ex. Just crazy sad. I wonder if we would re-fall in love with each other? I’d like to think so… this whole thing is kinda blowing my mind a little!

42 Cheryl December 9, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I love these kinds of posts! I just had one myself when I looked at a picture of myself looking healthy at this year’s Christmas party compared to one from last year’s where I looked just awful. It’s funny what will send you thinking and reflecting!
Cheryl recently posted..Pictures and perspective…take 2