more ยป" />

Viva Las Vegas

by Meghann on December 3, 2011

Welcome to the city that never sleeps!

Ahhhh….. less than 12 hours since arriving in Vegas and I already know why everyone loves to party here. This place is insane! But insane in a totally awesome, unique style of Vegas insane. There’s great food, pretty lights, and something to see and look at everywhere you go. Sure it’s easy to get trapped in the mazes that are known as hotel casinos here (Anne and I have already lost our way three times), but what you find and see while being lost is always kind of crazy. Love it!

I learned a thing or two on my flights yesterday.

1. Las Vegas is three hours behind Florida, not two. (this was an epic failure on calculating timing on my part)
  2. A plane full of runners is an awesome one.
  3. Flying to Ft. Lauderdale THEN Las Vegas from Tampa makes total sense to Southwest (hmmm)
  4. Being the first to pick your seat is fun.

My flights were relatively quiet and uneventful. I talked it up with other runners, got some work done, and snacked on a string cheese right after my second take off.

Erin Baker’s had sent me a few samples of their breakfast cookies to try last week. They’re pretty dense and are about the calorie equivalent of a full size Clif Bar. They’re meant to be eaten as a quick breakfast on the go, but I thought one would also make a great large snack for the middle of my five hour flight.

My flight landed in Vegas at 7 (10pm Florida time), so I was holding off on eating dinner until then and needed something pretty filling to tide me over. I grabbed the gingerbread flavor and was immediately pulled in by the rich aroma of molasses and cloves when I opened the packaging. The cookie tasted like a fresh gingerbread cookie, it was amazing.

Besides the great taste, the cookie also did a great job keeping me full until I arrived in Las Vegas. It was the perfect inflight snack choice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Once in Las Vegas I beelined it to the hotel and met up with my roomie for the weekend, the beautiful and adorable Anne P.

As soon as I walked in our room, I threw down my bags and Anne and I immediately headed to the strip to find the easiest dinner we could. Our bellies were ready to eat.

More than a few people had recommended The Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay. It was really just what we were looking for – casual, chic, and the promise of good food!

Upon arrival the hostess told us there would be a 45 minute wait (#fail) or we could grab a seat at the bar.

The bar it was!

In the opposites of all opposite, we each ordered two completely different burgers and decided to split them.

On the left is the Burger Bar Veggie Burger which was made of onions, lentils, pumpkin, and a few other delicious sounding things. It was a great veggie burger with a great bite. On the right is the Classic American Burger with ground beef and bacon on top. Anything with bacon wins in my opinion. I love veggies burgers, but I have a fondness for real burgers too. I thought it was a great balance to order both and share.

We also split a side order of sweet potato fries, which were soft in the inside, but nice and crunchy on the outside – the perfect fry.

What doesn’t go better with a burger than a dirty martini?

Only in Vegas, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

After dinner we decided to change into dresses that are wildly inappropriate to wear at home, but felt just right for partying on the strip.

IMG_0563.jpg

We both felt like we were back in college again getting ready to go out. I can’t tell you the last time I’ve been dancing or to a club, but it was on my checklist for Vegas!

Anne and i very poorly navigated our way to The Venetian and met up with the lovely Michelle and Paula (Orlando represent!!) to dance the night away at Lavo.

Lavo was great! The drinks were pricey (to be expected), but the DJ was amazing and we just danced and danced and danced.

We finally crawled in bed around 2:00am Vegas time (5:00am Florida time!) with sore feet and smiley faces.

So. Much. Fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Kate December 3, 2011 at 11:41 am

Love your dress! Good luck tomorrow!
Kate recently posted..Santa Baby!

2 Stephanie December 3, 2011 at 11:42 am

sounds like you guys had a blast! hope to meet up with you all today ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Chloe (In Fine Feather) December 3, 2011 at 11:48 am

LOVE that sparkly dress! Where’d you get it?
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..World AIDS Day

4 Sana December 3, 2011 at 11:55 am

Have fun exploring today!!!
Sana recently posted..Classy Bathroom Pictures

5 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

How FUN!!!! My best friend and I get all dressed up and go out dancing every once in a while and it’s so so so much fun!!!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Friday Friend Fun Time

6 Megan December 3, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Burger + Dirty martini= adult happy meal ๐Ÿ™‚
Megan recently posted..The Super Workout

7 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Dancing<3 Looks like you had a blast!

And don't airlines do the funniest things? Whenever I go to book my flight home from Vermont to Philly, one of the suggestions they make is VT to Chicago and then to Philly. Umm…really?

8 Maureen December 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Vegas is so much fun! We went for this past New Years Eve…it was unbelievable! They close down the strip to cars and people are flooding the streets. We were at ROK that night (the club inside New York New York) and it was a blast! Love your dresses. Have fun!
Maureen recently posted..Whole Wheat Pumpkin Scones

9 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm

What a fun-filled evening!! I’m totally with you on bacon making anything better. ๐Ÿ˜‰ That veggie burger does sound yummy too though. Good idea to split and share!

You two look so gorgeous in your “going out” dresses! Your dress is so pretty – love it! Have fun!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Treadmill Fun

10 wymberley December 3, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I had a horrible experience with a raw hamburger at a fast food restaurant a few months ago. Your burger picture made all the bad feelings come back. That meat burger was rare! Hope the veggie was your choice. It looked tasty.
wymberley recently posted..A Weigh A Day for December: Weigh 3

11 Lindsay December 3, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Your burger was pink inside! In Canada it’s against health standards to serve a burger that’s not well done… I’ve had an occassional American ask for a med well burger and it surprises me so much! No good. lol

12 Jenny December 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm

The US has regulations on this as well. It doesn’t mean people don’t attempt to get a burger cooked to their preferred doneness and it doesn’t mean that all restaurants follow it to a ‘T’. And it’s not just an American thing– oh you Canadians and your superiority complexes ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway, I agree with the rest of the comments– that dress is very fun and looks great on you!

13 Krystina (Organically Me) December 3, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I’m not even phased by pink burgers. If it’s good quality meat, then medium rare/medium cooked burger is much tastier than a well-done burger. So, yours looks good to me.

Also, “the city that never sleeps” is NYC, not Vegas.

14 Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I am in love with Vegas!! I went a few years back with my family and had such a great time. We’re going back this summer since I am finally 21 (woot woot!). Let me tell you, I will be taking full advantage of the free casino drinks! lol
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pumpkin Ravioli with Fried Sage and Almonds

15 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

holy sexy, Meghann and Anne!! look at those gams!!!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Go Batshit or Go Home.

16 Laura December 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm

your body seriously looks bangin’ in that dress! love it!

17 Cait's Plate December 3, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Gah! Looks like so fun!! LOVE the sparkly dress ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Allison December 3, 2011 at 2:30 pm

LOVE your dress- I can’t seem to get enough of the glitter/ sequins lately ๐Ÿ˜€ P.S. I totes need to find those breakfast cookies!!!
Allison recently posted..My Wish List 2011

19 Carissa December 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Looks so fun! Only in Vegas do you party before a race!
Carissa recently posted..Ice at Gaylord Palms

20 Corey @ Learning Patience December 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm

LIVE it up girl! Love your dress – Vegas is the BEST! Have a wonderful time!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Rain and Roti

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm

holy smokes! 5 a.m. your time?! You must be so tired!

And that veggie burger looks awesome!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Weekly Fitness Breakdown

22 Kim December 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I LOVE your dress! Where did you get it?

23 Alaina December 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I love Las Vegas! I always stay at the Paris and it’s such an awesome time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Love your dresses!!! I need to find a night where I can dress up like that.
Alaina recently posted..Photo Tour

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Looks like a blast! Although, I would’ve totally fallen asleep at the club if I was up till 5am east coast! Impressive, ladies ๐Ÿ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Cranberry chocolate chip cookies

25 emily December 3, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I think your dress is wicked cute!
emily recently posted..Long Dog In A Little Coat

26 Jessica December 3, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Isn’t New York City “the city that never sleeps”?

Rare burgers scare me but my dad used to SWEAR that they were safe an delicious…

27 Christena December 3, 2011 at 11:41 pm

You look great in the dress! And your hair…your hair! It looks fantastic! Long hair is perfect on you.

28 Liz December 4, 2011 at 12:16 am

Looks like a lot of fun! I’ve never been to Vegas and would love to go ๐Ÿ™‚

29 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery December 4, 2011 at 1:31 am

The burgers look great. I love eating with people who like to share/split.
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..Oreo cameos and condiment wallpaper – Food art

30 Lj December 4, 2011 at 8:13 am

Yeah.. NYC is the city that never sleeps. But Have fun in Vegas!

31 Sara December 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

Can I just say your legs look AMAZING in that dress!? You go girl, hope you had so much fun dancing ๐Ÿ™‚

32 Meg at runridelove.com December 4, 2011 at 11:00 am

Looks awesome! I can’t remember the last time I went out drinking and dancing! Very jealous. And pumped to see the race recap later.
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Puppies!

33 Bethany December 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Welcome to my new hometown! Sorry it’s frigid, but hope you’re having a blast! I’ll keep an eye out for you in the corrals today – good luck!

34 Alec Pitt December 4, 2011 at 9:15 pm

You fill that dress very well. It looks beautiful on you. That body is rocking!!!

35 Emily December 5, 2011 at 11:18 am

Nice! I have been to Vegas 8 times in 7 years (since turning 21) and I have NEVER been to a club.
Glad you enjoyed burger bar!
Emily recently posted..A Busy Holiday Day