Sophie’s

by Meghann on December 1, 2011

Far, far away, in the beautiful land known as South Tampa, there is the cutest little cafe that I semi-frequent for work called Sophie’s Bakery.

Sophie’s is the perfect little space to set up a laptop and just zone out in work. They have comfy couches, adorable mis-matched tables and chairs, and the sweetest owner who will offer refills when your cup is looking low.

I’ve been here many times for hot teas, iced coffees, and the occasional sweet snack, but have repeatedly failed at trying any of their soups, sandwiches or salads during any of my visits. It always looks/ smells delicious, but the timing never worked out.

So when Stephanie emailed me looking for a ‘cute, local spot’ to meet for lunch in South Tampa, Sophie’s was the first place that immediately came to mind. πŸ™‚

Stephanie is in town exploring the possibility of a big move (Florida is where it’s at, yo!), so I gave her the big Tampa/Orlando sales speech (beach, sun, and never a need to shovel snow <- win! ) and we chatted about our former and future selves. We learned that it’s a small world (and only getting smaller!) and you can never predict where the future is going to bring you. Such is life.

We were also both able to sample some of Sophie’s delicious food for the first time together.

First up was the roasted vegetable sandwich that we split down the middle.

I could go on about the lovely balsamic marinated vegetables – or how light and non-greasy they were -, but I would like to focus on the crusty french bread instead. The crusty bread was INCREDIBLE. It was light, airy, and had the perfect crunch with each bite. More please. πŸ™‚

We split the sandwich and each ordered our own cup of soup. I selected the White Bean Chicken Chili that had a lovely dollop of goat cheese on top.

My soup was great, but I think Stephanie’s was a little better. Her mushroom/french onion hybrid was FULL of fresh mushroom chunks and thick bands of roasted onion. It was heavenly and I was a bit jealous of her order. πŸ˜‰

After we finished lunch, Stephanie headed out and I stayed to take advantage of the free wifi. I also ordered a non-fat latte to keep me warm while I typed away.

This was my first plain latte and I have to say that I was a fan. I’ve been disappointed with sweetened iced lattes in the past that were a bit overpowering and slightly burnt tasting. The un-sweetened hot latte was perfect. The steamed milk was really all the sweetness it needed.

A couple of days ago I purchased a candy cane at Whole Foods that had been waiting patiently in my bag to be eaten.

I rediscovered the fancy candy cane when I was searching for my keys and figured this afternoon was as good of a time as any to try it.

I’m not sure I could taste the true difference between the fancy candy cane and a regular one, but it did make my breath taste minty clean. πŸ™‚

IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0091.JPG

(it’s surprisingly difficult to take a good photo with a candy cane in your mouth)

Can you guess what was on the menu for dinner?

More soup!

Once the weather turns cold, it’s really the only thing I crave. πŸ™‚

Tonight’s Red Lentil Soup recipe came courtesy of a quick google search and allrecipes.com. The recipe called for ingredients I already had on hand and took 30 minutes to make. Win!

It tasted pretty good too. Not as spicy as the reviews claimed, but the addition of the lemon juice was a nice touch. I also swapped out the cilantro for parsley because that’s what I had. It worked. πŸ™‚

I feel like I have a never ending pan of cornbread. Must. Finish. Soon.

Blackberries were randomly on sale at Publix last week. I’m just going to pretend they’re not from a country I can’t pronounce and enjoy them with chocolate chips until my fingers turn purple with yummy blackberry juice. πŸ™‚

mmmm…. berries. I miss you. πŸ™‚

Derek is fast asleep in the couch and I’m about to load up my NetFlix queue with cheesy Christmas movies. πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Sana December 1, 2011 at 10:07 pm

πŸ™‚ I love that you it soup in FL! It’s freezing here and I want ice cream!
Sana recently posted..Are you a juice person?

2 Marty December 1, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Funny, I was totally craving soup tonight too. I threw together a 30 minute butternut squash soup. I think I’m going to freeze some of it and make a different type of soup this weekend to have a bunch ready to roll in my freezer. Perfect for last minute weeknight meals.
Marty recently posted..Cold Front; Hot Soup

3 Steph @321delish December 1, 2011 at 10:26 pm

It was so fun to meet you! Sophie’s was the perfect place to meet! Thank for the suggestion!!
Steph @321delish recently posted..Cranberry + Orange = Perfect Match

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 1, 2011 at 10:26 pm

We just got to FL today and this feels like a heat wave! I guess it’s all relative πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Oat almond & date energy bites

5 Christina @ Just Running December 1, 2011 at 11:24 pm

It looks like you were really enjoying that candy cane. πŸ˜‰
Christina @ Just Running recently posted..50-Miler Q&A with Kara

6 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 1, 2011 at 11:41 pm

oooh that lentil soup looks delish!

7 brittney December 1, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I live in denver and have toured Hammond’s candy factory multiple times ( I work with kids.) Their candy canes are just one of the many delicious goodies they have. I need to make that lentil soup as soon as possible- it looks perfect for snowy weather.

8 Julie December 2, 2011 at 1:01 am

This place looks absolutely perfect! I want to go there!

9 Michelle December 2, 2011 at 1:49 am

I love that you’re wearing what would be a considered a “summer” dress in December. I often forget that some dresses can be worn with a long sleeved shirt. Thanks for the inspiration!

10 Hope December 2, 2011 at 8:20 am

That place looks so cute! πŸ™‚ I love the decor!
Hope recently posted..Happy Birthday To The Love Of My Life, Mike!!…

11 Amanda December 2, 2011 at 8:26 am

Sophie’s looks adorable. I’m always hesitant to order roasted veggie sandwiches because so many places use way too much oil. It’s unnecessary and really detracts from the sandwich.
Amanda recently posted..Asian-Inspired Noodle Soup

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 2, 2011 at 8:34 am

Oh yes, soup is definitley a go-to meal during the Winter months!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Shake The Soreness

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 2, 2011 at 8:41 am

That sandwich looks super delicious!! I’ll take one! πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..World AIDS Day

14 Cait's Plate December 2, 2011 at 9:51 am

That latte is SO pretty!!

15 Mary @ food and fun on the run December 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

Sophies is 2 blocks from where I live! Its super cute for morning coffee on the weekend, and its super pet friendly!!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Hard Cross Training!

16 Abby December 2, 2011 at 10:08 am

Oh my goodness, I made lentil soup for Thanksgiving (so I’d have a vegetarian entree) and it is sooo good. I actually first had it in Turkey (went on a study abroad trip there)- they serve it as a starter in almost every restaurant. I fell in love with the country and I wanted to have a piece of it with me at Thanksgiving, so I made the soup πŸ™‚

17 Alaina December 3, 2011 at 6:04 pm

That place is so cute! Reminds me of Amelie’s in Charlotte. πŸ™‚

18 Sara@RunningInPinkProject December 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Im going to try that spot on my next trip. Im constantly looking to your blog for dining out suggestions. My husbands friends choices are not exactly my taste. πŸ™‚
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Dear Tampa…