A Whole Lotta Decorations

by Meghann on November 26, 2011

Let’s see…

πŸ™‚

It’s really crazy how many Christmas decorations one family can collect over the years. We hauled all 20-30 Christmas themed boxes from my parents’ attic this morning to start the process of transforming their house to a red, green, and gold winter wonderland.

First up was the ‘kid’s tree’ in the foyer.

IMG_2233.jpg IMG_2291.jpg

My Mom decorates two full scale trees each year. One is the main tree in the music room. That tree is gold themed with gold ornaments, gold ribbon, and gold wrapped gifts under the tree.

The second tree is the ‘kid’s tree’ in the foyer. This tree has all the fun ornaments we’ve collected/ created over the years. My favorites are the photo themed ones. I’m almost tempted to pull out the construction paper and hot glue gun and make a 2011 version of each for my parents for Christmas this year. πŸ˜‰

IMG_2270.JPG IMG_2271.JPG IMG_2276.JPG IMG_2277.JPG

*cough* GO NOLES! *cough*

Beautiful. πŸ™‚

IMG_2293.jpg

While the girls were working on the kid’s tree, the boys were starting on the lights.

My Dad’s favorite activity of the year. Obviously. πŸ˜‰

The dogs supervised the process.

We took a break and had Publix subs and potato salad for lunch. My veggie sub was packed full with extra olives, just how I used to order it in high school. (My mom always called my subs ‘olive subs’ because I would ask for two or three extra handfuls every time.)

After lunch we made our annual outing to pick out the family tree.

You know you’re from Florida when you’re picking your Christmas tree up in shorts and a t-shirt. πŸ˜‰

IMG_2215.jpg

My Dad likes to grab a ‘surprise tree’. Basically he heads to the ones that haven’t been unwrapped yet and hopes he grabs a good one.

And this is about as close as it gets to chopping down our own tree. Using the chainsaw the trim the bottom is totally the same as chopping it down from the source, right? πŸ˜‰

Surprise!

IMG_2260.jpg

Not as full we usually get, but it works.

My mom has some serious light skills. She manages to tuck lights in about arm’s length deep, then wraps them this way or that until the tree is nothing but twinkling lights. One day I hope to master the fine art of tree lighting as she has.

IMG_2304.jpg IMG_2309.jpg

And since this day is all about traditions, here’s another one.

My parents have been collecting Precious Moments ornaments since the year they were married. Every year we line up the ornaments in order from 1982 on and add the current year to the end.

IMG_2319.JPG IMG_2320.JPG IMG_2322.JPG

Then we all hang our own baby ornaments and the various years that are mean the most to us.

I always grab my baby ornament first…

Then go back for the year I broke my leg (1994), the year I graduated high school (2003), and the year I graduated college (2007).

I also got to hang the latest addition, 2011, this year. πŸ™‚

Unfortunately I had to leave before the tree was finished, but we had made a good dent in it. πŸ™‚

IMG_2339.jpg

My goal was to arrive back in Tampa before the FSU/UF game. I grabbed a few honey pretzel sticks dipped in Nutella (Best. Snack. Ever.) and headed home.

I didn’t make it home by kick-off, but I did catch the last 3 quarters of the game and they were awesome. GO NOLES!!!!

I was really craving soup on the drive back and managed to piec together a really quick soup when I walked in the door.

All it was was kale, carrot, corn, barley, chickpeas, and some chicken broth thrown in a pot and left to cook down for 30 minutes. Doesn’t get much easier than that. πŸ˜‰

Just what I was craving. πŸ™‚

Tomorrow I’m pulling out mine and Derek’s decorations. It’s time we started some of our own decorating traditions in this house. πŸ™‚

Good Night!

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 26, 2011 at 11:02 pm

This is funny in comparison to the post I just wrote for tomorrow talking about how I’m so not a holiday person and hate the decorating process! haha I love the result but it’s so much work to do it all! My mom has mad light skills too, it must be a mom thing, I can never make it look as good!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Stuffing frittata bites

2 Lisa at Dishes of Mrs. Fish November 26, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I love the fact that your parents are so into Christmas! My parents are grinches, and haven’t put up a tree for four years! I was absolutely giddy putting up my first tree in five years with my husband this week. I’m excited about creating holiday traditions with my little family as well. πŸ™‚
Lisa at Dishes of Mrs. Fish recently posted..Thanksgiving Things

3 Christine @ BookishlyB November 26, 2011 at 11:21 pm

That’s a whole lotta tree!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Nonfiction Nagging- Antibiotics

4 Sana November 26, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Decorations is the #2 reason I wish my family celebrated Christmas!
Sana recently posted..Women With Real Figures Shop Here Too

5 jodie November 26, 2011 at 11:24 pm

the soup looks yummy

6 irunthere4iam November 26, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of decorating! I love the idea of the “kid tree”. We had one of those one year, hidden down in the basement! We don’t hold on to many decorations, just the bare minimum. It’s mostly because we move every three years, and I HATE packing!
irunthere4iam recently posted..HBBC Update

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 26, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I always think it’s so crazy when people decorate immediately after Thanksgiving! My mom always gave it at least a week. I guess she needed a holiday break!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Turkey Trot 5K

8 Chef Katelyn November 26, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Pretzels and nutella = magic. Pretzels and garlic dill goat cheese = ASTRONOMICAL magic. Yayyay xmas decor!!
Chef Katelyn recently posted..This is Thanksgiving Healthy Living, Betches.

9 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 27, 2011 at 12:18 am

CUTE traditions! Love ’em. We have a kids’ tree at my parents’ house too! Gotta love the photos on that one. Hah.

I totally LOVE that snack too. SO good πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Pushups

10 Kate November 27, 2011 at 1:58 am

My dad is the exterior light hanging expert and my mom handles the lights on the Christmas tree too. I know how to do it, but the last time I did it she ended up restringing the lights to her specifications, so now I don’t even try πŸ™‚

11 Lauren November 27, 2011 at 7:29 am

That’s too funny, my mom would decorate 2 trees as well. One that was full of our ornaments and one that was only with her precious moments ornaments. Glad you’ve been able to enjoy in these traditions with your family this weekend.
Lauren recently posted..Blessed and Appreciative

12 Hillary November 27, 2011 at 8:16 am

I’m Jewish, and the one thing I always felt left out of as a kid was the decorating process. I just started harassing my boyfriend (who’s Catholic) about how much I want him to decorate our future house. Lights everywhere, please!
Hillary recently posted..Thankful

13 Corey @ Learning Patience November 27, 2011 at 8:50 am

Enjoy decorating…Glen and I put our first decorations up this year – normally we go away for Christmas, but this year we are staying put and man – I love having a Christmas Tree up…it makes the whole house so cozy!
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Barbados Rocks

14 Alaina November 27, 2011 at 9:02 am

I love decorating for the holidays!

My parents collected Precious Moments too but they were the figurines. I don’t know if I got my 2011 ornament yet. Last year was Snoopy and Woodstock. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Family and Food Friday

15 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath November 27, 2011 at 10:04 am

My parents have tons of Christmas decorations as well. We just did the whole decorating process today, too! πŸ™‚
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..A Homemade Christmas.

16 Amanda November 27, 2011 at 10:10 am

Your mom really is awesome with those lights – the tree looks beautiful. I also really like your family’s ornament tradition.

I’ve been eating a very similar soup, but with vegetable stock and no barley. It’s so satisfying and a little lighter than the other Thanksgiving food I’ve been indulging in all weekend. πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Spiced Apple Cider Sorbet

17 Courtney November 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

Wow, your mom is a pro; that tree looks so sparkly and lit up! I can’t imagine how delighted you are over the UF/FSU game yesterday. πŸ˜›
Courtney recently posted..Thankful Thursday: Tofurky Day!

18 Cait's Plate November 27, 2011 at 11:13 am

We did the exact same thing at our house! Except ours is a fake tree πŸ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Perfect Morning

19 Jena November 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm

We bought our Christmas tree yesterday from a tree farm & they had trees that you could cut down. We didn’t cut ours down, but I saw plenty of people that were carrying around saws. It’s on 301 in Dade City (Ergle tree farm) – kind of far from you guys, but it’s there. I think there are a few places in Orange county, and one up in Lake County (Eustis area). — Your Mom really does get a lot of lights on the tree – wow
Jena recently posted..obsessed

20 Richard November 28, 2011 at 4:49 am

Hey! I’m too excited now for the coming the holiday season! I haven’t put my Christmas tree yet. I’m putting it on the 1st day of December. Gosh! I love the Precious Moments decors. I love to collect those items!
Richard recently posted..My Arowana Is Not Eating No Matter What I Do !!!

21 Caroline November 28, 2011 at 9:18 am

I love these traditions! I decorated my place before I left for Thanksgiving, so when I got home last night, all I had to do was turn on the lights! I love it:) We do a kids tree and “normal” tree at my parents too, and it’s fun to look at the ornaments made 2 decades or more ago…
Caroline recently posted..Turkey Trot 2011 Recap

22 Lucy November 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

I thought we had a lot of decorations!!!
We could never go tree shopping in shorts due to risk to hyperthermia!:(

Sunny Christmas just doesn’t sound right to me – i’ll change my mind by nest week i’m sure as it’s freezing already πŸ˜‰
Lucy recently posted..Where Can i find A Personalized Letter From Santa