more ยป" />

A Tale of Two Running Dogs

by Meghann on November 26, 2011

Oh, Maddie.

You are one crazy puppy.

Maddie was literally jumping off the walls this morning. She gets really wound up when ever we stay at my parents’ house and has to play 24/7. She was doing laps, jumping on everyone’s beds, and even annoying poor Oliver and Scooby as she dropped toy after toy at their snoring muzzles. She’s a Jack Russell Terrier through and through. ๐Ÿ™‚

So, what do you do with a crazy dog who can’t sit still? You take her for a run.

I took Maddie out for a fast 3 miler. It was fast because her pace never wavered. Usually she’ll start out super fast, then be dragging by the end. Not this time. She kept a sub-9:00min/mi pace and probably could have gone farther if I had let her.

Even after 3 miles, she’s STILL jumping off the walls. I need to find a way to bottle her energy and sell it. I’d make millions. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_1988.JPG

Oliver wasn’t one to be outdone. After I returned with Maddie, Oliver was ready to go for his own run. I clipped his leash and took him on the exact same trail I just did with Maddie.

Only running with a 60lb dog is a whole lot different than running with a 12lb dog. Once Oliver saw a squirrel or decided he needed to sniff the neighbor’s bush, there was no stopping him. I simply wasn’t strong enough to hold him back like I could Maddie. He took off and I just had to follow.

Luckily he only saw two squirrels along the way, so it wasn’t too bad. Oliver is a lot faster than Maddie (when we were hitting an 8:30 pace, he just looked like he was walking fast), but he stopped to sniff, pee, and poop more than Maddie does. When Maddie runs, she’s on a mission, but Oliver sees it as a time for exploration. ๐Ÿ™‚

He also sees post-running as a time for rest.

I wish Maddie had the same philosophy. Le sigh.

Dad was in charge of breakfast this morning, which can only mean one thing…

Biscuits and gravy!

He made two versions this morning:

Traditional biscuits and gravy

And a vegetarian version for Kelly using soy sausage.

I think my Dad’s sausage gravy is one of the main meat dishes that my sister really misses, so my Dad picked up the soy sausage to see if he could recreate it just for her. (Seriously, the best Dad ever.) The vegetarian version was almost as good as the regular version. I ended up loading my biscuit up with the veg version just to be different.

With apple slices on the side.

We’re pulling out the Christmas decorations today. It’s time to decorate!!!!

1 Britt @ Run with Britt November 26, 2011 at 11:23 am

Your puppies are speed demons! Before my dog had to be put to sleep, I used to take him on runs as well. He was a big collie, I think about 120 or so pounds, and he always had to stop and pee! It was still a blast however. Have fun decorating! I’m so happy the holiday’s have finally arrived! I can’t wait to crank out the Christmas cookies and belt out Frosty the Snowman!

2 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 26, 2011 at 11:27 am

your dad seems awesome….what a great cook! i always drool over those biscuits!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Thanksgiving

3 Sana November 26, 2011 at 11:28 am

I wonder if people that own dogs are more active because dogs NEED to be outside!
Sana recently posted..Crotch Grabber

4 Cait's Plate November 26, 2011 at 11:29 am

Those biscuits get me every time! Looks incredible!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..All Days

5 mary November 26, 2011 at 11:32 am

That’s the same thing when I run with Tika and Corbin. Tika (the Husky) LOVES to run, and she’ll run at a 9 minute clip and just run straight through. She also weighs 35 pounds. Corbin (0ur lab) who weighs 85 pounds stops and goes and loves to explore.
mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Corn and Bean Salsa

6 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon November 26, 2011 at 11:48 am

Gotta love the start of the Christmas season!
I blasted christmas tunes in my car last night!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Lemon almond poppy pancakes

7 Chef Katelyn November 26, 2011 at 11:57 am

I wish my dog could run! She is a literal spaz. I think it runs in the family. My first dog’s name was Spaz when we adopted him at age 1. Not kidding. We immediately renamed him.

8 Army Amy* November 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I love running with my pooch! Doggie running excitment is great motivation!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Army wives (the book) in review

9 Christine @ BookishlyB November 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I can’t wait until I can start running with my Chocolate Lab (a few more months, he’s still a pup)! I am a little nervous, though- he’s 80 lbs at 9 months- I’m guess he’ll be close to 100 by the 12 month guideline.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Nonfiction Nagging- Antibiotics

10 Srdjan - Bloom to Fit November 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I love the pictures you take of you food. Really creative angles. Makes me kind of hungry ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm

My brother has a 5 month old golden retriever, and I’m waiting until she’s a bit older to take her running. I can barely make it around 8 blocks in a half hour because she has to smell EVERYTHING! My dad told me he used to run with his great dane, and for him he was just walking briskly since his legs were so long!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Turkey Trot 5K

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 26, 2011 at 4:20 pm

SO sweet of your dad to do that for Kelly! I love when my family is conscious of my needs/wants and dietary wishes (I don’t eat red meat, nor do I eat much meat at all)

have fun with the fam!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Pushups

13 Krissy November 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Love biscuits and gravy!! I ate a vegetarian diet after reading a few books (Skinny Bitch, and others) a few years ago for about 9 months….sausage gravy was the #1 thing I missed! Will have to try that out sometime!
Krissy recently posted..Week ending 11/20

14 Emily@SavoryandSavage November 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I had a dog like Maddie once and it is soooo exhausting – but you both seem to be a good fit.

I now have dogs that after a long walk spend the rest of the day sleeping ๐Ÿ™‚

Those biscuits and gravy looked delicious!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Thanksgiving and an amazing book

15 Corey @ Learning Patience November 26, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Hmm…soy sauage? Never tried that…will have to look for it soon! It looked great!
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Barbados Rocks

16 Erin November 27, 2011 at 9:16 am

Aw, does your dad wanna adopt another daughter? What a great guy! ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Cheryl November 28, 2011 at 8:54 am

The veggie one looks awesome!! Are you willing to post the recipe or is it a family secret?
Cheryl recently posted..Weekly Weigh In โ€“ Week 1

18 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery December 5, 2011 at 6:45 am

Your dad is really so awesome for supporting the different eating styles and actually trying to adapt on his end to go out of his way like buying soy sausage. ๐Ÿ˜€
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..Oreo cameos and condiment wallpaper – Food art