Disney with E.

by Meghann on November 19, 2011

Shhh… don’t tell my boss, but I played hooky and spent the day at Disney. πŸ˜‰

My friend Jackie (who writes one of my favorite must-read-as-soon-as-it’s-published blogs, MomJovi <- seriously. read it. ) and her daughter E. are Disney regulars and invited me along for the day.

IMG_1573.jpg

Ok. That’s a lie. The truth is that I had so much fun reading about their weekly Disney adventures, that I tweeted Jackie asking if I could join in on the fun next time. Instead of immediately un-following me, she sent me an email with possible dates and lots of smiley faces. I knew I liked her. πŸ™‚

We picked November 18th because the week before Thanksgiving is traditionally the least crowded week of November AND we were hoping for Christmas decorations.

Score! πŸ™‚

Let me tell you, Jackie and E. were a BLAST to hang out at Disney with. There’s nothing better than seeing Disney again through the eyes of a child. Things that I normally would have ignored or walked right past, E. stopped and threw her arms up in excitement over.

IMG_1500.jpg IMG_1507.jpg

I promise, that’s a face of excitement. πŸ˜‰

We hung out in Fantasyland, went on a few rides (Peter Pan is E.’s favorite and she knows every part of it by heart), danced in the street, and said hello to a few of our favorite characters. I’d say a good time was had by all. πŸ™‚

Good Jackie packed PB&Js for the group to enjoy in the park. Bad Meghann convinced her to try the new Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich at the Sleepy Hollow service counter.

It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of the Disney Food Blog (<– another must read) and love keeping track of all the new foods hitting the Disney food scene (you’d be surprised just how many and out-of-the-traditional-theme-park-norm there are). When I saw a post go up last month about the chicken and waffle sandwich, I knew I had to try it.

On the bottom was a big fluffy waffle drizzled with syrup then topped with coleslaw, sweet and sour fried chicken, and arugula. Sounds strange, looks just as weird, and surprisingly pretty tasty.

I split the waffle combo with Jackie and even just half was super filling (this thing was huge). I wasn’t a fan of the drizzle of syrup on the waffle (I just don’t like maple syrup, period), but thought the rest of the flavors worked great together. The chicken was just a tad spicy and the waffle was just a tad sweet. Perfect.

I know it wasn’t the healthiest option available in the park, but it was fun to try it just to try it. πŸ™‚

Dessert came after lunchtime and before parade time. E. won the award for cutest popsicle eater…

IMG_1534.JPG IMG_1535.JPG IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1537.JPG

And her Mom and I split a Dole Whip cup.

I think the Dole Whip cups shrunk, this baby was tiny. Boooo…. πŸ™

We finished our ice creams while watching the Celebrate Parade.

Not going to lie, I was hoping for a Christmas themed parade, but I’m pretty sure E. didn’t care.

She was so excited that she gave us a play-by-play of everything that was going on after each character walked by. She also gave out many high-fives, hugs, and waves with all the characters.

IMG_1559.JPG IMG_1560.JPG IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1562.JPG

Seeing Alice was like spotting a real life celebrity. Who needs Angelina Jolie when you’ve got the entire cast of Peter Pan to impress you?! πŸ˜‰

IMG_1557.jpg

Love her. πŸ™‚

The parade was our big finale of the day. After that I gave Jackie and E. big hugs good bye and headed back to Tampa.

I was oddly hungry, but wasn’t in the mood for the sweet granola bar I had packed. I wanted something salty and managed to come up with two hard boiled eggs from a gas station I stopped at.

Random, but they got the job done.

Derek and I had dinner tonight with his parents at a family friend’s house and dined on steak, veggies, and potatoes.

There was pie and cake for dessert, but I passed. I think my sweet tooth was still on overload from my out-of-the-norm lunch and Dole Whip afternoon snack. πŸ˜‰

Alright, time for bed.

Good Night.

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 19, 2011 at 12:17 am

Ahahaha I love it. NO SHAME chica, no shame.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..[Phoebe’s] and I are long lost sisters.

2 Sana November 19, 2011 at 12:20 am

So when I was younger (10) my family went to Disney and my parents had more fun than I did!!

3 Victoria November 19, 2011 at 6:54 am

This is definitely the best time to go to Disney. J and I went a couple weekends ago and on Wednesday night after work. Empty both days! Thank you, annual pass!

Those pictures of E are really cute. I can’t wait to have a little one and watch them experience Disney.
Victoria recently posted..Winning

4 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete November 19, 2011 at 6:55 am

I cannot WAIT until the Mini Athlete is old enough to enjoy Disney! The look on E’s face is priceless!
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Women’s Half Marathon Expo

5 Hillary November 19, 2011 at 8:12 am

Posts like these, where you just hop over to Disney, are making me itch to move to Florida. Jealous, much?!
Hillary recently posted..Small Act, Big Impact

6 Cait's Plate November 19, 2011 at 8:24 am

Ah! Looks like so much fun. I’m so jealous of how accessible Disney is for you!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Easy Dinner Streak

7 Erin November 19, 2011 at 8:49 am

Apparently chicken and waffles together is something true Chicagoans know all about. There’s even a place a few miles from my house called “Chicken and Waffles”! I’ve never had it but yours looked really good.
Erin recently posted..Random Raffle Result

8 Lacey @ Lake Life November 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Is it a Chicago thing? I thought it seemed more of a Southern thing…
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Finger Lakes Foliage

9 Erin November 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I’d never heard of it until I moved to Chicago! But maybe it’s something that migrated up here from the South.
Erin recently posted..Random Raffle Result

10 Army Amy* November 19, 2011 at 9:36 am

It’s been so long since I went to Disney. I was probably E.’s age! I’m ready go to back!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Story of a Yam

11 SkinnyRunner November 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

man this makes me excited to go to disneyland on monday with my nephews. like you said, i think its going to be so much more fun experiencing it through the kids lense.
SkinnyRunner recently posted..So much FUN stuff happening: I am awesome!

12 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 19, 2011 at 10:41 am

This looks like so much fun!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Friday Favorites

13 Carissa November 19, 2011 at 11:04 am

I LOVE Disney so much! I Love it! I’m not sure if I will get to see the Christmas parade either this year. We love to go to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas party, but it ends up costing about $150 and that’s a lot for holiday cheer!

Love you outfit too!
Carissa recently posted..Plenty to be thankful for

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Haha I definitely would have gotten my own Dole Whip cup!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Strawberry Crème Oatmeal

15 Alaina November 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm

It’s funny that so many families will plan for months for their trip to Disney World and you can just Tweet a friend and go there on a Saturday before Thanksgiving. πŸ™‚ I wish I could do that!
Alaina recently posted..Minestrone Soup

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm

What a fun day!! I want to go to Disney! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..A Good Day

17 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 19, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I just realized that you can obviously get Dole Whip within an hour of where you live and I am now beyond jealous because I got addicted to that stuff in Oahu this summer.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Richmond Marathon: How to Recover Like a Boss

18 Cheryl November 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Disney! I’m jealous.

The post reminded me of the Goofy Marathon — have you heard of it? I feel like it’s something you could probably do (and something I DEFINITELY want to do) — run a half marathon on a Saturday followed by a full marathon on Sunday. I might save it for somewhere way down the road where I have kids, but maybe not…the last time I went to Disney I was too short to go on Splash Mountain!
Cheryl recently posted..Bedtime already?