more ยป" />

Track-less

by Meghann on November 17, 2011

Good Morning!!!

The goal: 5 x 400 @ 5k pace on the track

Reality: 4 mile run with 5×400 intervals around the neighborhood.

What was missing? A track. I really need to find one with availability that fits my schedule or rearrange my schedule to fit it. I loved doing track workouts with the Tampa Tri Team, but the earlier night fall has temporarily suspended the weekly track sessions until the spring (the track has no lights and is booked with band and football practice until nightfall). I’m tempted with trying to use that track in the early morning hours, I just need to figure out the school hours and make sure it’s open before students start filling in.

I know speed workouts can be done around a neighborhood (thanks to Mr. Garmin) or on the treadmill, but it’s just NOT the same. I wasn’t pushing myself this morning like I do on the track and my 400s were 20 seconds slower than they were on the track a few weeks ago. I think a speed buddy would help too. Anyone interested in doing track workouts together in Tampa? ;)

My sad run was followed my a happy breakfast.

Pumpkin Pie Yogurt. Need I say more?

I haven’t made this stuff since last year, but last night’s pumpkin snack inspired me.

On the bottom was a mix of:

• Plain greek yogurt
  • Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin butter
  • Peanut Butter
  • Pumpkin spice

All blended together and topped with:

• Graham Cracker
  • Apple

Amazing. :)

Happy Birthday Shirtless Ben

Today is my baby brother’s 22nd birthday!

388948_2487503038635_1584452712_2550658_1158502254_n.jpg

(photo from his 2nd birthday – precisely 20 years ago today. :) )

They grow up fast, don’t they?

DCP_1284.JPG

(2003)

102_2720.JPG

(2005 – a bad year for Anderson hair apparently)

DSCN0135.JPG

(2008)

(2009)

Now he’s getting married, buying a house, running marathons, working a real job, and doing all sorts of grown up things.

IMG_1512.jpg

When I was starting my freshmen year of college, Ben was starting middle school. He was a crazy little kid who stole things from my room and never wanted to be a part of family outings. He’ll always be my crazy baby brother, but now I’m happy to call him one of my best friends. He’s the best friend/brother/running partner a girl could ask for.

Screen shot 2011-11-07 at 8.33.00 AM.png

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!!!!

psstt… check out how we celebrated Ben’s 21st birthday last year at Pat O’Brien’s. One word: epic.

1 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

Happy birthday to Ben!!

Sorry about your run, but I guess bad runs make the good runs that much better, right?! :) Taste the bitter to savor the sweet–sometimes not fun, but oh so good for us.

Your b-fast does sound totally delish!

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

I agree that speed workouts are better done on a track. I don’t like doing them around the neighbourhood because I feel like people will wonder why I’m sprinting (as opposed to a usual out-for-a-normal -run pace) as if I’d stolen something lol!
Happy Birthday to Ben!

3 Mary @ food and fun on the run November 17, 2011 at 9:46 am

I wanna run with you! I need to get in some track workouts for marathon training! I need to find out when UT track is available – its really nice and lit nicely!

4 Meghann November 17, 2011 at 9:49 am

YES! Email me and we’ll compare schedules. :)

5 Sana November 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

:) Baby brothers are the best :)

6 Cait's Plate November 17, 2011 at 9:53 am

That is DEFINITELY a happy breakfast! Good for you for even attempting a speed workout – it’s more than I can say and I have access to a track right in my town! Haha

Happy birthday Ben!!!

7 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 17, 2011 at 9:55 am

happy birthday, ben!

loving pumpkin yogurt these days :)

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

It’s funny how much of a difference the track makes. I can do the same workout with the garmin on a trail and run it like 30 seconds per 400 meters slower. The track just motivates me to run harder!

9 Meghann November 17, 2011 at 12:25 pm

100% agree!

10 Amanda November 17, 2011 at 10:04 am

Breakfast looks great! I just enjoyed a pumpkin pie smoothie with a little pumpkin butter, walnuts, and crushed graham cracker. So, so good!

Happy Birthday (shirtless) Ben! :)

11 Alaina November 17, 2011 at 10:04 am

Happy Birthday Ben!!! :-)

12 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 17, 2011 at 10:14 am

I love that you posted his baby pic. It’s adorbs.

13 Ari @ Ari's Menu November 17, 2011 at 10:15 am

I have serious breakfast envy right now. Must try tomorrow!

14 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine November 17, 2011 at 10:25 am

Happy birthday to your bro! :) It’s so sweet you all are so close! PS is Kelly’s blog private now? It keeps trying to make me log in but won’t let me in. I miss it!

15 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 17, 2011 at 10:41 am

Happy Birthday, Ben!

I wish there was a track around here for speedwork. Not only is it easier to know when the sprints should start and end…but it’s FLAT! There are SO many hills around here making speedwork absolutely hell. :/

16 Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement November 17, 2011 at 10:50 am

I have only done speed work on the treadmill, I would have no self discipline with just my Garmin.

Breakfast looks fab.

17 SkinnyRunner November 17, 2011 at 11:18 am

awh sweet pic of you guys crossing the savannah finish line. i think if i tried to do that with my brother, he’d either punch me or trip me. he’s so sweet.

18 Samantha November 17, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Happy Birthday Ben!! His birthday is exactly one day before mine! I’ll be 22 tomorrow :)

19 Meghann November 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Happy Early Birthday!

20 joelle (on a pink typewriter) November 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

This bfast is inspired! I love it and all its components, although I’d probs leave out the apple.. I only like whole apples or cooked in pies, personally. :)

21 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I thought about finding a track too when I started doing speedwork, but I wish I had looked into it more! IT was hard to keep up my motivation when just running with my garmin and not really being able to SEE the distance. Also, happy birthday to your brother!

22 Maricel November 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I think it is really great that you have a strong bond with your brother. I can imagine how happy it feels thinking about memories spending time with each other when you were young. It has been so long since me and my brother spent time together. Time does pass by so fast and I am glad to have so many happy memories of him.

23 Jessica November 17, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I need to do track too. Have you thought of hitting up the Ben Hill track? I have wanted to go but also don’t want to go solo in the darker evenings.

24 Angela November 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I run on the UT track also for speed work. I never check a schedule or anything, not even sure if there is one online. But, its always open when I go to run, usually between 4 and 8pm. I am training for the Rock’n'Roll St. Pete half too, although my goal time is nowhere near yours :0)

25 Army Amy* November 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm

The pic of your brother with the hair! Omg!*

26 Liz November 18, 2011 at 12:48 am

Happy Birthday, Ben – love the 2nd birthday pic. I have one just like it from my first birthday involving chocolate cake with chocolate icing…