Lunch Slump

by Meghann on November 14, 2011

A salad for lunch?

Boring.

A salad with black beans, pineapple, melted cheese, olives, and salsa?

Just a little less boring.

Help!

I’m in a slump.

A lunch slump.

Quick! Leave some ideas to liven up my lunchtime routine.

1 Rachel November 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Grilled cheese (with apples or apple butter this time of year), tuna or salmon salad sandwiches, or French toast (yes, for lunch) are some of my favorite things to throw in for a change at lunch.

2 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Eggs, jam, spinach, and cheese on bread. SO good.

I also like veggie burgers, kecthup and sweet potato fries.

Soups and grilled cheeses with spinach are delicious too!

I love salsa on salad–such a kick to the pants and delicious!

3 Casey @ oatsandnanners November 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I love breaking up my lunch into a sweet and savory part. Maybe I’ll have soup, salad, or a quinoa bowl for my savory half and then I’ll satisfy my sweet tooth with a “baked” apple with cinnamon or some cinnamon sugar rice cakes with cool whip. The change from salty to sweet is great!

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Try savory oats, with beans and veggies. Or a sweet potato with a green veggie side and hummus!

5 Molly November 14, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I’m all about grilled cheese w/ turkey and pair right now…

Not sure if its the season or what, but salads are just unappealing to me (I usually love them!) but w/ fall & winter rolling around I find myself less partial to salads and more into things like soup/stew/etc

6 Cait's Plate November 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Haha – I’m the absolute WORST person to ask for help! I’m in a slump myself! Can’t wait to see the suggestions you get so I can steal them :)

7 Laura November 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I remember once that a blogger made homemade pretzels and used them for open face sandwiches and that sounds really good right now. You could also do a foil dinner for lunch, homemade calzone, kabobs, a quick stirfry, breakfast for lunch like an omelet or scramble ….The good thing about not working in an office is that you have the flexibility of your own kitchen, not just bringing a tupperware to work!

8 Sara November 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I am always in a lunch slump!
I usually have a peanut butter and banana sandwich with cinnamon and honey.
But today I was crazy and had leftover pancakes with yogurt on top and fruit salad.
Lunch is my least favorite meal of the day because it’s always so hard to decide what to eat!

9 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm

i like to make big batches of grain based salads (quinoa, brown rice) or beans (lentils, chickpeas, etc.) and eat them throughout the week. another way to spice up a salad is make it warm… roast or grill the veggies, toss with spinach and top with cheese. the spinach wilts a bit and the cheese melts.. delish! burgers (quinoa, black bean, veggie, etc.) are also great!

10 Kristin November 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I’ve been having an egg on an English muffin with a laughing cow cheese wedge on one side and raspberry jam on the other. Sounds more like breakfast, but it’s perfect lunch! Also, houmus veggie wraps are always a delish option :)

11 Krystina (Organically Me) November 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Well, I just had a burger with bleu cheese & bacon, sweet potato fries and Baily’s cheesecake for lunch, but I don’t recommend that on the daily. :P

12 Kim November 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm

My lunch usually consists of leftovers from the night before. I package them up right after dinner and have them ready to grab in the morning. This is convenient for me, since I work in an office.

13 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I often find myself getting stuck in a lunch slump too for whatever reason. It doesn’t help that it’s my least favorite meal of the day. During the summers I have an easier time because I’m always craving a smoothie or salad, but not so much in the winter. Lately I’ve been loving soups, quesadillas, scrambled egg/omelette combos with veggies mixed in, panini sandwiches, and baked sweet potatoes. Hope this helps!

14 Marty November 14, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Black bean burgers are awesome, easy, and freeze incredibly well. You can experiment with different types of beans and spices to change up the flavors. They’re really tasty. Put them inside a pita, wrap, or Deli Flat bread and call it a day. Oh yeah, don’t forget the condiments! Arugula, spinach, tomato, salsa, sauteed mushrooms, anything you like makes the burger even better! Here’s a really easy recipe I used:

15 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 14, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I eat the same thing almost every day for lunch. They say that automating is actually a good habit. I hope so because I am AWESOME at it.

16 Cristina November 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Here are some of my favorites: Quesadillas with onions, corn, beans (refried or black), cheese, and mushrooms (if you have them on hand) YUMM!!! I also like to make scrambled egg whites with frozen corn and brown rice. I mix it all together and it’s delicious. Grilled cheese sandwich with roasted red peppers. I use a fold it, one slice of skinny cow cheese, one slice of cheese (whatever I have on hand), a few slices of roasted red peppers and a tiny bit of butter on the outside and then put it on the George Forman grill. The last one is TJ’s vegetable Masala burgers. I know you don’t have a TJ’s so i won’t go into how I make them.

17 Greta November 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I love grain or bean salads with veggies during the week! Grab a cup of cooked chickpeas, beans, or lentils and mix with chopped veg (I like peppers, cukes, tomatoes, olives… pretty much anything), a sprinkle of nuts or cheese, and your favorite dressing. Yum!

18 Coco November 14, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I wish I had something to offer.. sad thing is that I eat the same stuff practically every day- and alot of times that means greek yogurt with fruit and some kind of nut butter.. Oh yeah.. and egg whites- don’t forget about those :) I’ve been thinking about seeing a nutritionist for a while now- And I think that might help..

19 Sarah @ The Dirt Road Dreamer November 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Throw a fried egg on that salad. That’ll jazz it up :)

20 Jamie November 14, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I do many things…but one that might be easiest

Buy mini tortillas, or make home made ones…
Make some bean and cheese burritos and freeze them, and take one or two out with a side of soup.

You could also make your favorite burrito recipe (chicken, fajita, beef, steak – maybe for Derrik) and just pre-make the fixings, and pre-make the tortillas to just put together for you and Derriks lunches whenever you can.

21 Julia @ The Bosky Blog November 14, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Today I had lettuce wraps with tazitki sauce, it was good and different.

Also really easy.

In the fall and winter, I like to make big pots of soup, stew and chili and freeze individual servings.

22 Lindsay @ biking before bed November 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I am the worst with lunch slumps. I will eat the same thing for a week straight. One of my best and different lunches lately were chicken fajitas. They felt “fancy” for lunch. I made a huge batch of chicken in my crock pot and then had it for lunches and dinners.

23 Jessica November 14, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I love egg or turkey wraps/sandwiches pared with either a soup, salad or both.

Egg scrambles are good too. I usually add lean deli meat, zucchini, a little cheese, spinach or really anything you want.

I like to make mini pizzas too.

Quesadillas. Either with lean meat (chicken, deli meat) and cheese, or a bean/cheese/salsa etc.

I like to cook up a big pot of soup and eat that, Or leftovers.

I love potatoes for lunch. Mashed up with peas or roasted in the oven.

24 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy November 14, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Turkey, apple, brie sandwich (keep this in mind for thanksgiving leftovers! ;) )

25 Anna November 14, 2011 at 11:07 pm

lol! Considering I normally have a salad and apple for my lunches during the week I don’t think I am going to be any help. Good luck!

26 Dee @ GF Grad Nut November 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Grilled cheese & pear sandwich! Or go old school with homemade chicken nuggets using crushed up Chex, with sweet potato fries.

27 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted November 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Oh my, I don’t think your meals need livening up! I would never eat half the mixes you make but more power to you and your adventurous taste buds! :)