Epcot Food and Wine Festival 2011

by Meghann on November 10, 2011

Nothing like an impromptu trip to Epcot to liven up the week. Random, but awesome. πŸ˜‰

epcot.jpg

The lovely Brittany (from Eating Bird Food) just happened to be in the Disney area for a conference and asked if I would join her for dinner this evening. I immediately said yes and suggested we check out the Epcot Food and Wine Festival for eats. Brittany had a free pass through her conference and I have an annual pass, so it worked out perfectly.

We each loaded $20 on a shared festival passport and tried to fit in as many booths as we could in our short 2 hour time span before the park closed.

We started in Belgium with last year’s favorite – Belgium Waffle with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream.

Just as rich and delicious as I remembered. πŸ™‚

Next we headed to New Zealand for the Seared Sea Scallops with Kumara-Red Curry Puree and Apple Radish Salad.

The kumara-red curry puree was interesting. I assumed it was sweet potato at first and thrown off on first bite. Not my favorite dish, but it wasn’t bad either.

In Singapore we tried the Shrimp Cake with Singapore Noodles.

The noodles were cold, not something we were expecting, but the shrimp cake was flavorful.

I got a little excited for the Bunny Chow in South Africa.

How can you go wrong with curried veggies in a bread basket?! πŸ˜‰

Hawaii is one of the latest additions to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. I had read ahead of time that the Tuna Poke was a new favorite among regulars.

Hands down, my favorite dish of the evening. The salty seaweed salad on the bottom was even better than the tuna. Yum. πŸ™‚

Last, but not least, we dined on a Greek Salad at the Greece booth.

It really didn’t take Brittany and I long to make our way around all the booths. However, I was a little sad to see a few of my favorites missing from years past (where was the strawberry shortcake?!) and they were seriously lacking in the veg friendly department (last year Kelly and I stuffed ourselves silly on vegetarian dishes, but this year there wasn’t much).

I was also surprised to see such a large crowd out and about on a Thursday evening in November. I wonder if Veteran’s Day tomorrow had anything to do with it?!

When we completed the circle Brittany and I still had a good chunk of change left on our passport, so we grabbed dessert from my Dad’s favorite bakery in France.

We split the Strawberry Tart and Chocolate Mousse and called it a night. πŸ™‚

It was fun to catch up with Brittany. Before I resigned from my old job in January, we had twin jobs in the same industry. Hearing her stories from the week reminded me how much I do not miss working tradeshows. Nope, I do not miss it at all. πŸ™‚

I’m beat. Time for bed. Good Night!

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm

AHHHHHHH OH MY GOD next time I want to go on a trip, especially to Disney, I am planning it for that weekend. Epcot food is glorious.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Dull Weather Floopy Floops

2 Krissy - Shiawase Life November 11, 2011 at 7:15 am

The Food and Wine festival spans from the end of Sept to mid Nov πŸ™‚
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Thankful Thursday

3 Living, Learning, Eating November 11, 2011 at 1:10 am

I love Disney so much! And Disney World is the best! πŸ™‚
Living, Learning, Eating recently posted..Reminder

4 Jen November 11, 2011 at 2:03 am

Man, I’m

5 Jen November 11, 2011 at 2:05 am

Whoops, hit enter accidentally.

I meant to say that I’m super jealous that you live so close to epcot. It looks like you had a fun night!
Jen recently posted..Return Of The Scale

6 Tracey November 11, 2011 at 4:42 am

Love that Belgium waffle – that hit the spot after I ran this year’s wine & dine! PS – the park was probably busy because the entire state of NJ is off of school this week for teacher workshops and many families travel to Disney this week…

7 Courtney O'Shady November 11, 2011 at 5:49 am

I was in Disney a few weeks ago for the Festival, and it was CRAZY crowded! Like, 4th of July weekend crowded! October/November has always been our favorite time to go because we hate the crowds – guess word’s really gotten out.

In spite of the insane crowds, we still had an awesome time at the Festival! I also loved the Bunny Chow from South Africa, but my personal favorite was Baklava from Morocco! Glad you had a great time as well!

8 Kristin November 11, 2011 at 6:08 am

Aw my family was there yesterday! This is my first year not going in ages..makes me miss Florida even more. Looks like you two had an awesome time though πŸ™‚ Hope you paid a little visit to England!
Kristin recently posted..Wrestling is totally real…right?

9 Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement November 11, 2011 at 6:12 am

I saw bunny chow and I had to comment. That is gourmet style, it is usually half a loaf of plain white bread with the center scooped out and filled with curry. Very messy, very carb-y, and yes….very South African.

I’ve lived here for almost 4 years and have avoided bunny chow, so you are one step ahead of me in that department.
Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement recently posted..Flying Home, Part 1

10 Krissy - Shiawase Life November 11, 2011 at 7:14 am

It’s the last weekend of F&W, probably why it was so busy! πŸ™‚

Glad you had a fun time, made me really miss Epcot!!
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Thankful Thursday

11 Hope November 11, 2011 at 7:34 am

So jealous that you went to the Epcot Food & Wine Festival! It looks like such a fun time. My goal is to go to that in Disney at some point. I am a Disney fanatic! I haven’t been there in a while and we were planning on getting married there but it just didn’t work out. So I’m keeping my fingers crossed that for our one year wedding anniversary we can celebrate there. Love Disney! πŸ™‚

12 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 11, 2011 at 7:59 am

That’s so neat that you live right by disney and can just go when you want!!! Haha magic whenever you need it!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Pre Race Jitters

13 Lauren @ A Full Measure of Happiness November 11, 2011 at 8:00 am

I love Epcot during it’s regular season…and a food and wine festival looks so good!

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 11, 2011 at 8:23 am

LOVE Epcot! They have such tasty food!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Chicken-Bacon Mac & Cheese

15 Brittany November 11, 2011 at 8:31 am

Yay! So glad we were able to make this work. Experiencing the festival by myself just wouldn’t have been the same.

PS – Your photos turned out so much better than mine!
Brittany recently posted..Homemade All-Natural Face Cream

16 Britt @ Run with Britt November 11, 2011 at 8:44 am

I had no idea Disney even did that. That’s so awesome. My roommates boyfriend went to Epcot for his 21st birthday and did shots around the world, but I think food around the world sounds a lot more enjoyable. πŸ™‚
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..My Head Is At The Start, My Heart At The Finish

17 Amanda November 11, 2011 at 9:02 am

That’s a bummer about the lack of veggie options. Those desserts look pretty good though! I mean, how can you really go wrong with chocolate mouse? πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..New Kitten

18 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 11, 2011 at 9:29 am

Oh my gosh, I’m dyinnnng to go to the Food and Wine Festival! Maybe next year i hope! Looks like such a blast. When I was in Epcot on vacay this last July, I ate the most glorious pizza in the Italy section. Delish!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Make a wish

19 Emily November 11, 2011 at 11:45 am

Spur of the moment Food and Wine Festival sounds fantastic! I wish there were more “foodie” opportunities where I live!
Emily recently posted..β€œGratitude is the Best Attitude”

20 Jessica November 11, 2011 at 11:50 am

That looks ahhhhmazing! I wish we had something like that here!
Jessica recently posted..Peeks around the Home.