See you later, Savannah

by Meghann on November 6, 2011

It’s crazy how quickly marathon race days seem to fly by.

Ben and I crossed the finish line around noon, but searching for food, eating food, taking the shuttle buses back to our car, and driving the car back to our motel, meant we didn’t make it back to our home base until right around 4. And with dinner plans at 6:30, we barely had time to catch our breath before we were back in the car heading out again.

Hotels within 15 miles of the Savannah race start were very limited and had booked up almost as soon as they announced the race 10 months ago. We ended up making our hotel reservations a little over a month ago and had to settle on a small motel about 30 minutes from the race start. The motel wasn’t bad, but we wasted so much time going back and forth between downtown Savannah and where we were staying in the middle of nowhere, that I really didn’t see the city.

This made me sad because I really never had a chance to really explore Savannah. Even after running 26.2 miles of it, I never got to see anything that makes the city famous. I would love to return in the very near future and actually see more than half a street of downtown.

Ben, Katy, Danielle, and I were able to return to downtown one last time last night for a quick dinner and dessert with a few friends who had also rocked Savannah that morning.

CONGRATS to first-time marathoners Paula and Michelle, second-time marathoner Alyson, and half marathoners Tina and Julie on all busting our new PRs (and PDRs) in Savannah!

That’s about as close to a group shot as I got. πŸ˜‰ I was ultra-casual last night and – while everyone else was super cute and glamorous – I rolled up with no make-up, crazy hair, and a FSU shirt I usually sleep in. I was definitely following the ‘I just ran a marathon and I don’t care what I look like’ rule. πŸ˜‰

The group swapped marathon and half marathon stories. Some of us were already eager to sign up for our next race, while others were planning to hold off just a bit. We all agreed that the early neighborhoods were the best part of the race and that we never want to run on a highway with a headwind again. It was a good meal filled with lots of stories, laughter, and pure runner highs.

I had a Rosemary IPA to start with

And had pretty much decided what I wanted to order before I even walked in the door. A big, juicy burger is my FAVORITE post-marathon treat. I. Ate. It. All.

With a side salad for some greens.

We all were in the mood for some dessert after dinner and a quick tweet chat with Ashley (who is currently rocking NYC!!!) led us to Leopold’s.

There was no question what I was going to order – one scoop of pumpkin spice please. πŸ™‚

IMG_1017.jpg

So. Good.

I think I’ve moved out of my fro-yo phase and have found my way back to real ice cream. Lately there isn’t a comparison with which one I’m currently craving. The real ice cream was the perfect ending to a good day of racing. πŸ™‚

We all crashed hard last night and – thanks to the extra hour – enjoyed 9+ hours of sleep. Love that! We immediately hit the road home and stopped at the first Cracker Barrel that we saw from the road for breakfast.

You can always count on Cracker Barrel for quick pancakes and eggs along the interstate.

I couldn’t finish it all, but it sure tasted great trying. πŸ˜‰

I had flown to Savannah from L.A. on Friday, but I was road tripin’ it to my parents’ house from Savannah this morning.

Road trip buddies!!

IMG_1027.JPG IMG_1028.JPG

While Ben drove I gave him the New York City Marathon play-by-play via twitter.

Can you believe that finish from Dado at the end?! I was rooting hard for Keitany, but she was really struggling towards the end. Also, BIG congrats to Meb for a new personal best! Woo hoo!

More congrats to ALL the New York marathoners this morning! I pretty much decided this morning that I want to run that race next year no matter what. I would love to run for MS in memory of my grandfather. Is it too early to register?! πŸ˜‰

I had an apple on the road and dug into my Dad’s homemade fried rice as soon as we made it to my parents’.

IMAG1028.jpg

Yum. πŸ™‚

Making it to my parents’ house was great, but I was still a little over two hours from Tampa. So close, yet so far!

Luckily, my Dad agreed to take me halfway and Derek met us in the middle to bring me home. Woo hoo! After 7 days of traveling across the country, I finally made it home!

I chowed down on some unpictured plantain chips and dark chocolate covered espresso beans and immediately passed out on the couch. Felt. So. Good.

Dinner was my favorite go-to veggie-ful meal: roasted vegetables with pasta sauce, ricotta cheese, and hummus.

IMAG1030.jpg

(sorry for the crappy camera phone photo. I was having camera issues and was just ready to eat at this point.)

I’m currently cuddling with Maddie and watching football.

Feels good to be home!!

1 Sana November 6, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Welcome homeee πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..The Day Before Eid

2 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm

what a crazy week you’ve had! congrats on an amazing marathon… and that burger looks amaze.

i saw your tweet about nyc next year… i’m dying to run it as well!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..me-time breakfast date.

3 Kim November 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Congrats on a great race! I’m sure you’re SO glad to be home! πŸ™‚
Kim recently posted..Sunday Funday?

4 Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy November 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Looks like someone has had an amazing weekend! Enjoy the time at home! πŸ™‚ Get some relaxin’ time in now!
Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Healthy Snacky Snacks

5 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 6, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Congrats on the marathon! And I love fro yo, but real ice cream is always just a liiiiittle bit better. Especially when you get it from a local place that makes it themselves!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Rough Run…

6 Caroline November 6, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I bet it feels great to be home finally! Traveling is fun, but also wearing on the body…especially with a marathon thrown in there! I can’t really eat real ice cream because its PACKED with lactose, but frozen yogurt doesn’t make my stomach hurt quite as much. I love it:) I’m glad your week was so fun!
Caroline recently posted..Back to Running After Illness…

7 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT November 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Looks like some freakin’ GOOD grubbins post-marathon! (I love that you’re an IPA girl.) Mmmmhm!!!
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Run to Remember 13.1 Race Recap

8 Danielle @ Long May You Run November 6, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Great job to you and Ben!

I ran Savannah as my first marathon and was planning on meeting you all for dinner… but felt bad for my sick hubby who selflessly supported me all weekend (he needed some TLC). So we stayed close to the hotel and crashed at the early hour of 7pm.

Maybe next time πŸ˜‰
Danielle @ Long May You Run recently posted..Savannah Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Race Recap

9 Emily November 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Congrats on the marathon! Sorry you weren’t able to explore the city as much as you liked! Good news, another visit is justified:)
Emily recently posted..You Might Be A _______ If _______

10 Dee @ Confessions of a Happy Girl November 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Congrats on another great marathon!! I have guaranteed entry for NYC marathon next year so I will be there for sure! You will love it! No race can compare to running NYCM. If you don’t get in through the lottery and don’t mind running at someone elses pace being an Achilles guide to a physically challenged athlete is an amazing way to experience the marathon! I did it twice and it was unforgettable.
Dee @ Confessions of a Happy Girl recently posted..Gone but Never Forgotten

11 Turtle-speed runner November 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Yeah I just watched it (Taped!) and was definitely rooting for Keitany but Dado’s great finish was good to watch! Sounds like the Savannah marathon was a lot of fun too!
Turtle-speed runner recently posted..The Tournament

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 6, 2011 at 10:17 pm

WHoa girl, what a crazy week you had. Congrats on the marathon!! That rocks. I sure do love the feeling of home, too πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Kids’ Between-Meal Snacks

13 Ada November 7, 2011 at 6:00 am

Yay, congrats on an awesome Savannah Marathon!!! I did NYC yesterday and had so much fun, you should definitely do it next year:)
Ada recently posted..ING NYC Marathon 2011 Recap

14 Coco November 7, 2011 at 7:26 am

This happened to me a lot when I drove cross country this summer.. you have to get where your going and there is never enough time to see all the stuff you want to see!! There are so many places that I want to go back to!
Coco recently posted..It’s my Birthday!!! Epic weekend post. pt1

15 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 7, 2011 at 7:45 am

Yay congrats! Sounds like a fun trip overall πŸ˜€

16 Hope November 7, 2011 at 7:51 am

Congrats on the marathon! You sure did a lot of traveling this week but everything looked like SO much fun! πŸ™‚ Welcome home!
Hope recently posted..5 Years Of Service…

17 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 7, 2011 at 8:08 am

I had a BLAST, but you’re right – it goes so fast. Glad we got to hang out, though! And run into each other on the course. πŸ™‚ You did awesome!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..I Did It!!!

18 Emily November 7, 2011 at 8:28 am

Glad you made it back safely, and great job!
Emily recently posted..NoJoMo–Day 6

19 Amanda November 7, 2011 at 8:32 am

What a whirlwind of a week for you! It’s a bummer you didn’t get to see more of Savannah (I’ve never been, but would love to see it), but at least you were able to meet up for dinner with some friends! That pumpkin spice ice cream sounds delicious. πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Chewy Chocolate Chip Fig Cookies

20 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 7, 2011 at 9:00 am

COME!! The NY course is GREAT! And I plan on running it again next year!! (I’m nursing right now, so it was a no-go for yesterday) It’s truly an unforgettable course.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Daylight Savings Can Eat My Scones.

21 anon November 7, 2011 at 9:21 am

You do know that you just cant register for NYC right? If you dont have a qual time (which I dont believe you do, its harder than Boston), you have to enter the lottery and hope to be selected. Its a great marathon though!

22 Meghann November 7, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’ve entered the lottery once before, so this will be my second time trying. If I’m not selected for the lottery I will run for charity with a guaranteed charity entry. When there’s a will, there’s a way. πŸ™‚

23 Cait's Plate November 7, 2011 at 9:25 am

Savannah is definitely a place I’m DYING to go. I’m glad you had such a good stay – safe travels home!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Trumped by the Bread

24 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates November 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Congrats on your marathon! I’m hoping maybe I can do the 1/2 in Savanna next year because it looks like a very popular race and great place to visit. Delicious also πŸ™‚ I’ve never seen pumpkin spice ice cream in New York.
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Sunday in Brooklyn Heights

25 natharn November 8, 2011 at 9:05 pm

wow it’s look like fun trips
natharn recently posted..Live in bedroom