The Dole Test Kitchen

by Meghann on November 3, 2011

Get a bunch of health conscious bloggers together and chances are you’re going to find a few crazy runners in the pack. This morning I joined a few of those crazy runners for a beautiful early run around Westlake (the gorgeous little town we’re staying in).

The runners: Monica (Dole), Jenn (Fit Bottomed Girls), Sandy (@APSandy), Tina (Carrots ‘n’ Cake), Monica (Run Eat Repeat), Leah (BookieBoo), and Me!

The group headed out for an easy 3-4 mile run that would take us to Westlake Lake and back. Monica, Tina, and I ended up taking the lead of the pack with a brisk 9:30 or so pace. The weather was a little chilly, but the views were beautiful and the company was even better.

We hit the turn around point at mile 2.22 and did a quick turn around before running into some of our fellow runners on the way back. ;)

This morning was my very last run before Savannah and it felt great to loosen up my legs one last time. Tina is running New York City on Sunday, so it was nice to trade marathon motivations and goals. We both agreed that just finishing either race is our top priority and there is no need to kill ourselves in the process.

After our run (and very quick showers) we headed across the street to the Dole headquarters to get our learn on.

But, first we grabbed breakfast from the Dole cafeteria.

I’m such a food nerd because I find any company’s cafeteria to be fascinating. I know a lot of big name places are known for the healthy options they serve their employees and Dole is one of them. Everything is fresh and prepared in-house with a heavy emphasis on high nutritional value.

Of course I have a marathon to prepare for, so I grabbed carb with a side of carb.

The scone was the first thing that caught my attention when I walked in the door. It was dry, crumbly and everything a delicious scone should be. They don’t use butter in any of the Dole kitchens (something I could go back and forth with), so I’m curious how they made a perfect scone out of the equivalence of Smart Balance. I know I’ve tried before and failed miserably, props to them for making it work!

With my scone I prepared a small bowl of oatmeal with raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, and almond slivers. I ended up adding a packet of peanut butter as well. The oatmeal was thick and hearty.

I saw Tina preparing an iced coffee and I knew I had to follow suit. Just a little half and half was all this cup needed.

After breakfast we moved to the Dole test kitchens to learn about some of the new products entering the market right now.

First up were the Dole Salad Kits.

IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0774.jpg

My family purchased a lot of the various salad kits growing up because they were so easy to throw together with a rotisserie chicken for dinner (a staple in my house when I was a teenager), but I haven’t purchased my own since I moved out on my own 8 years ago. I tend to purchase a big bag of spinach for the week and build my own salads using my own variation of toppings. It also doesn’t help that I’m not a fan of croutons and I always found that the majority of salad kits consisted mainly of lettuce, dressing, and croutons. Meh.

Since it had been a while since I purchased a salad kit of my own, I was a bit surprised with what Dole had to offer. One of the kits we sampled had spinach, blue cheese, dried cranberries, and a balsamic vinaigrette; while the other was a summer kit with fresh herbs, nuts, dried fruit, and cheese. They were tasty and I loved the topping combinations, but I wish there had been more bulk in the toppings, I barely got any.

Next up we had a little fun with Dole’s frozen fruit line.

IMG_0783.jpg IMG_0784.JPG

Do you know that frozen banana ice cream craze that is sweeping the country? Well, Dole found a product out there that makes it really easy to produce. It’s called a Yonanas Maker and it’s pretty cool. You just stuff a frozen banana in the tube and push down like you would a juicer..

IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0789.jpg IMG_0791.jpg

Then out comes frozen banana soft serve.

IMG_0793.jpg

And once again I wish I could eat bananas (or even stand the smell of then) because the ‘soft serve’ looked really appetizing when all was said and done.

They did the same process with frozen mangos and the ‘soft serve’ came out in a similar texture and smoothness. We were also informed that the same process could be done with frozen pumpkin (!!!) and various other frozen fruits. Annnddddd now I want one. Santa? Please? ;)

We learned about Dole’s new initiative to pack their fruit in 100% juice (the only kind of pre-packaged fruit I would buy)

IMG_0803.jpg IMG_0804.JPG

And about the new Dole Real Fruit Bites packages that I’ve seen EVERYWHERE lately.

I told the Dole representatives that these are great and tasty, but need a little more ‘umph’ to them. Maybe adding some nuts or something similar could bulk them up and make them a little bit more of a substantial snack instead of just a snack that leads to another snack when it fails to fill you up at all.

My favorite products we tried were from their ever expanding new frozen line.

I’ve seen the Dole Frozen Fruit Cups popping up in the supermarket lately and was curious what they were all about.

The packages consist of two individual packets of frozen blueberries, strawberries, or pineapple. I sort of get where they’re going with this because people do enjoy eating frozen fruit, but these babies are a bit pricey (retailing for $2.50 – $3.00) for what they are. Honestly, I would save my money and just grab a handful of berries from the bad in the freezer instead. Meh.

Our last set of samples were the new Dole Smoothie Shakers.

Again, I’ve seen these on the shelves and have been curious what they are. Inside of each container is a mix frozen bits and pieces of fruit and yogurt.

The concept is fairly simple, you add juice (they recommend apple, orange, or pineapple) to the frozen pieces, shake, and pour (or drink).

IMG_0836.JPG IMG_0840.JPG IMG_0842.JPG

I was really, really impressed that the smoothie came out in a frozen smoothie texture instead of the typical milk-like texture you usually see with prepackaged smoothies. I also appreciated the suggested retail price of $1.50 per shaker and how easy this would be in an office setting where you couldn’t whip out a blender or want to pay $5.00 for a high calorie smoothie drink.

What I didn’t like was how the smoothie adapted the taste of what juice you used. I tried a little of the strawberry with the apple juice, orange juice, and pineapple and each one tasted like I was drinking apple juice, orange juice, or pineapple. We asked if the shakers could be done with water or milk instead and were told they could, but the flavor would be a little bland. Since I’m not one for overly sweet drinks anyway, I would really love to try the shaker with almond milk. I’m pretty sure I would prefer that over the juices.

I’m going to have to cut this post short and share some of the other info a little later. It’s dinner time and I’m starving!

See ya!

1 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I got to read Tina’s recap on the day too, and I am so jealous of you two! It looks like such a fun time with lots of yummy and new eats! Glad you’re having a great time! :)

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 3, 2011 at 10:13 pm

OH MY GOODNESS. I need that ice cream making machine! I tried to make banana ice cream, but my blender just wasn’t high powered enough!

3 Army Amy* November 3, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I love your honesty about the taste, quality, and cost of all the samples.*

4 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups November 3, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I can’t believe that is their food court. I’m so jealous! Those prices are pretty good too!

5 lisa @ early morning run November 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Sounds like an interesting day. glad to see you giving honest (dare I say, blunt) opinions about their products and your willingness to buy them. I feel often times bloggers may feel the need to be complimentary of companies that host events like this even if, at heart, they may not actually feel quite so keen about the company and/or projects.

Personally, I much rather eat fresh or frozen (no sugar added) fruit than anything in cups (in syrup or fruit juice – it’s all added sugar and calories).

Good luck with your race!

6 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 3, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I agree with you on the smoothie – too much of fruit juice and sweetness – a little milk would have been perfect. I can’t imagine smoothies without any almond or dairy in it. At least some yogurt ;)

7 Nikki November 3, 2011 at 11:12 pm

That banana squeezer thing reminds me of Play-Doh creations from when I was a kid! So cool!

8 Amanda November 3, 2011 at 11:22 pm

An ice cream place by me serves “banana whips” – just frozen banana but in ice cream consistency. Danielle from Eat Sweat Smile posted about it here: http://eatsweatsmile.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/whip-it-whip-it-good/

I like the real fruit bites! I first saw those at the Philly RnR half last year – they’re only like 80 calories so I don’t really expect them to fill me up. I keep them in my desk at work for something small to eat so I don’t go looking for candy. I tried the frozen fruit cups for the first time at this year’s Philly RnR half – the strawberries were ok post-race, and since they came with a coupon I picked up the blueberries at my grocery store. They cost 1.99 and my coupon was good for 1.49 off, so you can’t beat .50 for 2 blueberry cups…haven’t tried them yet though. I will say I typically use frozen fruit in smoothies, not for snacking.

9 Tina @ Everyday Decisions November 3, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I would love to work for a company that provides fresh and healthy food selections!! That cafeteria looks awesome! sounds like you had a great day :)

10 Elizabeth November 3, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I have seen that fruit fruit thing before! I think I am going to buy one they look so cool!! If you follow Open Sky by chance, Tony (from P90x) is selling it for 60 bucks right now!

11 Sara November 4, 2011 at 7:13 am

Looks like fun!

As for the scone being made without butter – my absolute favorite recipe has no butter at all… but it does have heavy whipping cream. Maybe that’s how they do it?

12 Hope November 4, 2011 at 7:53 am

This event looks awesome! I totally want that yonanas machine! That is the coolest thing!! :)

13 Emily November 4, 2011 at 8:06 am

They seem to have quite the variety! I am not sure that I have seen too many of these things at my own grocery store, but hopefully some of the ones that look most delicious will pop in soon!

14 Megan @ bump on a log learns to jog November 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

There’s a place called Annie’s Banannies by me in Delaware that serves only the banana soft serve, but they also have so many different toppings you can choose from. I loved it as a replacement for ice cream. Their shop is right by Rehoboth Beach so it was perfect on a hot day. http://www.anniesbanannies.net/ I might have to invest in one of those machines for myself!

15 Jamie @ FoodinRealLife November 4, 2011 at 8:33 am

I just wanted to say that I appreciate your honest and thoughtful review of all of these products. It’s refreshing and helpful. It’s clear you’re not just trying to say what they want to hear. Also just wanted to say that you are looking great! Strong and fit in that running picture!

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 4, 2011 at 8:45 am

I need that Yonanas machine thing! Perfect solution for not having an ice cream maker :)

17 Chad @ thebreakupnote November 4, 2011 at 8:51 am

“Carb with a side of carb”… my favorite meal

18 Katherina November 4, 2011 at 8:51 am

This made me laugh – “I’ve seen seen the Dole Frozen Fruit Cups popping up in the supermarket lately and was curious what they were all about.”

They’re about frozen fruit :P The individual packages seem silly to me, but it’s just frozen fruit.

19 Cait's Plate November 4, 2011 at 9:07 am

Ugh I am totally in the same boat with banana soft serve! Are you allergic or you just don’t like them? I just don’t like bananas and it makes me so sad because it always looks SO delicious!

20 Amanda November 4, 2011 at 9:14 am

I have no need for that yonanas machine (I have a vitamix, food processor, etc), but it looks really awesome! Do you know if it’s fairly easy to clean?

Looks like you’re having a great time! :)

21 Care @HealthierGirl November 4, 2011 at 9:28 am

I get the idea of individual packages for some foods but for frozen fruit just seems like added expense to me. I’d rather get the larger bag of frozen fruit or spinach or lettuce and just eat it!

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 4, 2011 at 11:11 am

I’d rather buy a huge bag of frozen fruit–but I do like their concept!

Looks like it’s been fun :)

23 Rain July 4, 2013 at 2:26 am

You absolutely would love the Dole Shaker better with almond milk! I made one with pineapple juice and thought it was pretty bad. Then I made one with coconut milk and it was delicious! I liked it so much I could have had a second one. It had a fantastic flavor and texture! Dole doesn’t want you using any kind of milk because they don’t make a milk product. They obviously want you to use a Dole juice product with them. I understand why they’re marketing them this way, but I think it’s a mistake! If I had only tried one made with juice, I would never have purchased them again! Now I know how amazing they are with coconut or almond milk and will buy them again! They have partnered with Blue Diamond Almond Breeze before and I think they should again on this project!