more ยป" />

Siri

by Meghann on November 2, 2011

“Siri, please find the highest rated Ethiopian restaurant in Little Ethiopia.”

photo.PNG

Bam! I know there are plenty of jokes out there regarding Siri, but you gotta admit that she kind of rocks sometimes. ๐Ÿ™‚

The iphone isn’t mine (I’m a droid girl), it’s my brother’s brand new purchase. He was pretty excited about jumping from a ’09 Palm Pre to the latest and greatest iphone and I was excited to finally test out Siri. I had my doubts, but the little lady really impressed me. I got a kick out of asking her where babies come from or what her favorite color was, I also appreciated her help with our Ethiopian dilemma.

Josh passes through Los Angeles’ Little Ethiopia pretty regularly, but had never stopped to try the food. We needed to change all of that.

IMG_0605.jpg

Unfortunately the top rated place was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, but the next one down ( Merkato) was open for business.

We had no clue what to order, so we just asked for one meat combo and one vegetarian combo to share.

The spongy injera bread is a different funky texture, but it kept our hands surprising clean when grabbing the food (no mess – score!) and tasted good.

Dig in!

Everything was SPICY and really tasty. I preferred the bites with the meat simply because I thought the flavor really divided up the mush that was everything else.

Josh liked it too! He even said he would go there again.

We made it back in time for Glee (yippee!) and finished the night with small servings of ice cream.

My body is still on east coast time. I’m struggling to keep my eyes open and need a bed ASAP.

Good Night!

1 Haley @ Health Freak College Girl November 2, 2011 at 1:41 am

i’ve never had ethopian food but it looks good!
Haley @ Health Freak College Girl recently posted..WI(pinned)W

2 Gia @ rungiarun November 2, 2011 at 2:40 am

Meghan, I’ve been reading your blog for a little while now and I just have to say that you are awesome! You have inspired me to do a half ironman next year ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad you’re having a great time in CA (my home town!) I love ethiopian food, especially the spongy bread that its served on. Yum!
Gia @ rungiarun recently posted..Taper Madness – RB Style

3 Meghann November 2, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Woo hoo!! If I can do a half ironman, I’m pretty sure everyone can do one. Congrats on the new goal!!

4 Coco November 2, 2011 at 6:06 am

Yes yes!! I had Ethiopian food for the first time this year- and I really loved it.. What better than eating with your hands?!
Coco recently posted..The monthly visitor.. Art.. Pasta

5 Hillary November 2, 2011 at 7:14 am

I adore Ethiopian food. My best friend from college insisted that I try it last winter, and I cannot get enough of it now. Glad you enjoyed it!
Hillary recently posted..Apple Crisp

6 Turtle-speed runner November 2, 2011 at 7:16 am

Hmm that looks really yum! I might have to look out for an Ethiopian restaurant around my parts.
Turtle-speed runner recently posted..November Goals.

7 Hope November 2, 2011 at 7:31 am

I’ve never had Ethiopian food before. I honestly, didn’t even know what it was. It definitely looks interesting. I’d be willing to try it. I’m glad you are having fun with your brother! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Shoes!โ€ฆ

8 Amanda November 2, 2011 at 8:14 am

I’ve never had ethiopian food, but it’s definitely at the top of my list of restaurants to try. Plus, I kind of like the idea of eating with my hands. ๐Ÿ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Banana Bread As Therapy

9 Emily November 2, 2011 at 8:36 am

I’ve never had Ethiopian food:( Looks delicious, I hope to try it soon!
Emily recently posted..Tell Me Something I Donโ€™t Know

10 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 2, 2011 at 9:12 am

I am so mad at “Glee” for this year’s boring storyline, i just can’t watch.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Peeing on a Pedophileโ€™s Lap

11 Meghann November 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm

It’s not that bad. Though they are getting a little cheesy for my taste.

12 Cait's Plate November 2, 2011 at 9:12 am

These photos are AWESOME! Love, love, LOVE Ethiopian food! The best part is gobbling it all up with the bread base!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Cold Craving

13 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

You are braver then me w food! Ethiopian food kind of scares me.. it’s a texture thing.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Pumpkin french toast

14 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 2, 2011 at 9:28 am

sooooooo where do babies come from?
Morgan @ Life After Bagels recently posted..Packages OH Packages

15 Meghann November 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Siri did a google search with the top results. Such a cop out.

16 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I think I’ll make that my parenting technique in the future … so when my kid asks me that question I’ll just google it – hope they learn to read early ๐Ÿ˜›
Morgan @ Life After Bagels recently posted..Packages OH Packages

17 Sana November 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

Since my beloved Driod was thrown away at dinner last week, I bought the iphone. I really just want to see what the hype is all about!
Sana recently posted..Drip Method

18 Mary @ food and fun on the run November 2, 2011 at 9:46 am

We just went to the Ethiopian restaurant in Tampa about 2 weeks ago. Its called Queen of Sheba and is over on Henderson, really close to Square One. I must say, it was pretty tasty ๐Ÿ™‚
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..A Little Hocus Pocus

19 Meghann November 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I’ve been to the one in Orlando before, but didn’t know there was one in Tampa. I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to talk Derek into that experience anytime soon, but let me know if you ever want to go! ๐Ÿ™‚

20 Nora Glenn November 2, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hi Meghann,
I enjoy reading your blog, especially your adventures with Derek, Maddie and running. I read today that you are a droid user. Sunday, I launched an App for the droid called “They Are Dead”. The object of the game is to be the first to know of important, recent death. As soon as you discover someone notable has died, you post it on the network. The sooner you broadcast the death, the more points you receive. The game tracks your ability to be the first to know and notify the network about a recent, distinguished death. The App is $0.99 cents. Check it out! Good luck with your marathon on Saturday.

21 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 2, 2011 at 10:53 am

Isn’t Siri so much fun to play with?! I’ll admit we spent an hour the first night I got my new iphone “testing” her out ๐Ÿ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Reese’s has nothing on me

22 Candice November 2, 2011 at 11:05 am

i went to ethiopia 2 years ago and had my first experience with the food there! It was amazing!!! especially the bread and I thought it was fun to eat and grab everything with the bread.. that was until we found a cockroach…
Candice recently posted..Diagnosed.

23 Alaina November 2, 2011 at 11:29 am

I think that one feature on the iPhone is making me want it. ๐Ÿ™‚

That food looks so good! I love picking up food with bread.
Alaina recently posted..Red Lanternโ€“Take Two

24 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm

oh that does look tasty! I LOVE spicy ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Junk Food and Health Food โ€“ The Cost

25 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to an Ethiopian restaurant! How cool! Also, I have the new iPhone and I have yet to use Siri… I just feel weird talking to my phone!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Work Those Legs and WIAW

26 Lauren November 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I LOVE Ethiopian food and am particularly obsessed with the injera bread. (And any dish that involves spicy lentils…).

Enjoy the rest of your trip(s)!
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

27 Christelle November 2, 2011 at 12:30 pm

check out this website http://shitsiritoldme.com/ It’s like damnyouautocorrect.com but with Siri, some are pretty funny!

28 The Singleship November 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Ethiopian food is SO DELICIOUS. I had it last night too!
The Singleship recently posted..The least attractive SNL cast member

29 Lee November 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Ethiopian food is amazing. Good for you for being brave and trying it. I have to give you the gentle suggestion to remember to be very careful when writing about ethnic food. A little simple Googling yields lots of interesting information about Ethiopian food and why Ethiopians eat what and how they do (religious fasting rituals, local agriculture, etc.), which would certainly be a heck of a lot more interesting to hear about than “funky” “mush”. That mush is someone’s national dish, the food they grew up with – especially in a place as historically poverty-stricken and troubled as Ethiopia, that “mush” is darn impressive as well as insanely tasty. This post wasn’t as bad as your post when you went on an eating tour of, I think, Chinatown? I forget the exact context, but the ways in which you expressed distaste for the foods you didn’t like was offensive. Just because something isn’t our cup of tea doesn’t mean we can’t remain very respectful and thoughtful when writing about it. No one’s asking you to go to the library and do tons of research, but a little extra effort in a situation like this might bring more of the content and forethought a lot of your readers seem to be looking for lately.

30 Cat Melnyk November 2, 2011 at 6:06 pm

It looks like big piles of mush but now I’m intrigued to try the stuff.
Cat Melnyk recently posted..Veggie Tales Update

31 Krystina (Organically Me) November 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I wish you would have described the Ethiopian food in a way that, well, actually describes it beyond “funky bread” and “the mush”. I’ve had it, and it’s incredibly flavorful, spicy, and aromatic, and I think you kind of dumbed it down to just being this weird, crazy mushy food. At the very least you could have spoken to the waiter or took note of some menu items to describe. I think if you’re getting paid to write about these things, you should put more effort into posts like this. That’s just my $.02, though. I don’t mean to be insulting, just trying to give constructive criticism.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..My Daily Mantra

32 Sophie November 3, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’ve never heard of Siri…is that odd?! :/
Sophie recently posted..A Letter To The One That Got Away.