Keeping Up With SkinnyRunner

by Meghann on November 1, 2011

Good Morning Los Angeles!!

I’ll admit I was a teeny bit cranky when I went to bed last night. My flight was delayed in Tampa, then we sat on the tarmac in LA for 30 minutes, then the construction maze that has become LAX had us walk an extra mile to claim our bags, and finally I discovered that finding a parking spot by my brother’s apartment isn’t very fun past midnight on a Monday night. Not fun at all.

When my alarm went off at 5:30am I was afraid I was going to throw my phone against the wall and go back to sleep, but I surprisingly jumped out of bed ready to run. Maybe it was the excitement of running with a new friend in a new place, but I just wanted to run. I got up, got dressed, and headed to the gorgeous urban light display in front of LACMA to meet the super talented SkinnyRunner for our run.

IMAG0999.jpg

Does this remind anyone else of the movie No Strings Attached?! Such a gorgeous work of art!

IMAG1000.jpg

Very, Very last minute I sent an email asking SR if she wanted to meet for a run this morning. We’ve been blog friends for a couple of years now and it was fun to finally have the chance to meet in person. There was no awkward silence or “sooo…. tell me you life story”, just two girls who pretty much knew everything about each other’s lives and liked to run. It doesn’t get much easier than that.

IMAG1001.jpg

We weren’t running for the sights, so we just did a few loops around the area. Thankfully SR kept it slow so I could keep up and hold a conversation at the same time. She’s also running Savannah this weekend, as well as NYC (the next day!) . That girl is crazy, but I’m insanely jealous of her craziness. If someone put me on a plane after Savannah and handed me a bib for NYC, I would run it too.

IMAG1007.jpg IMAG1008.jpg

Eventually SR and I had to part ways on our run and, without even meaning to, I ended up finishing 7 miles. Whoops. I meant to do 4 or 5, but we were having such a good time that the miles flew by – I could have done more if someone let me! Oh well, my legs felt great and I’m happy with that.

IMAG1002.jpg

On the way to my brother’s last night we drove by a Jamba Juice and I instantly knew that’s what I wanted for breakfast. We don’t have one in Tampa (we used to, but it closed πŸ™ ) and I was seriously craving their delicious Pumpkin Smash Smoothie.

IMAG1003.jpg

Unfortunately as soon as I walked up to place my order the cashier politely told me they were out of pumpkin until Friday. WHAT?!?!?!?! Noooo!!!!! πŸ™

I ended up ordering the Chunky Strawberry Topper, but it wasn’t the same. Not the same at all. πŸ™

IMAG1005.jpg IMAG1006.jpg

I’m back at my brother’s place now and plan to get some work done before escaping for lunch. I ran by a lot of great places this morning, now the question is – where to eat?!

Also! This is totally random, but I saw this on my run this morning and couldn’t help but laugh.

IMAG1009.jpg

Bring It On: The Musical?!?! I can only imagine….

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run November 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm

LOL I am shocked to see a musical made out of that movie. Wowwww…..!!!! You were totally robbed at Jamba Juice. How can they be out of pumpkin the day after Halloween!!??
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..A Little Hocus Pocus

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I hate when stores/restaurants are out of what I specifically went there for!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..spinach rosemary and tofu lasagna

3 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

don’t you just love runs that end up being longer than planned, just because of how good it feels? bummer they didnt have pumpkin. the strawberry looks good tho! is that granola on top?
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving?

4 Meghann November 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Yes! You can request granola on top of smoothies for a little extra. πŸ™‚

5 Tiffany November 1, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Haha, yes it does remind me of No Strings Attached. Most importantly, that’s where my BFF got engaged, so it’ll always remind me of that night. I’m surprised we were able to keep it a secret, because so many of her family and friends showed up!

6 Meghann November 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm

What a cool place to get engaged! It’s such a beautiful spot!
Meghann recently posted..Keeping Up With SkinnyRunner

7 Hope November 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm

That stinks that they didn’t have the flavor that you wanted. I’ve never been to Jamba Juice before! I’ve always wanted to but there are none near me. Have fun πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Roasted Favorite…

8 Sabrina @ Coffee With Sabrina November 1, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I had the same experience meeting a blogger friend. I flew 1000+ miles to meet her and some other bloggers, and it felt like a normal part of life. We didn’t miss a beat!
Sabrina @ Coffee With Sabrina recently posted..Be Thankful

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I love their chunky strawberry topper! I got the pumpkin smash last year around this time and remember not liking it too much but it does suck when you go somewhere specifically for something and they don’t have it.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Avocado citrus smoothie

10 Alaina November 1, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I just came back from Charlotte to meet a blogger. It’s so funny how you can pick right up and seem like old friends! πŸ™‚

Hope you enjoy your week!
Alaina recently posted..Snow in October

11 Amanda November 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I had the pumpkin smash smoothie last year around this time….so, so good. What a bummer they were out of it. πŸ™

Looks like relatively warm weather in LA? I’m jealous you’re wearing a tank top. I broke out my winter coats this week!
Amanda recently posted..Banana Bread As Therapy

12 Lauren November 1, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Meghann! There is a Jamba Juice in Tampa! It is inside USF’s Marshall Student Center. πŸ™‚ Parking is dumb at USF, but if you made it the midpoint of a run or found a 30-minute (free) spot, that would work.
Lauren
Lauren recently posted..Hi! My Name is… FEMINEMISM.

13 Meghann November 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Really? I knew there was once one on Fletcher (or Fowler?) that closed. To be honest, I’ve never stepped foot on the USF campus before, so I’m not even sure what the Marshall Student Center looks like!

14 Lauren November 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Field trip!!! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Hi! My Name is… FEMINEMISM.

15 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm

OMG I LOVED that movie!! I knew almost every line and my cousins and I would always watch it on our way to Cedar Point in the summer. I think you need to go see the musical! πŸ˜‰
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..October Goal Check-In

16 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm

how exciting!! SR is my running idol. i only wish i could be that crazy.. crazy amazing that is!!

flying west, especially at night is the WORST. the time change always reeks havoc on my body and i take forever to adjust. hope you are enjoying the day!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..october recap + november bucket list

17 Amylynn November 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Welcome to LA! Looks like you are in my neighborhood! sorry to hear that they were out of your pumpkin smoothie. There is a Jamba Juice in the Pavillions (grocery store) on Santa Monica blvd and Robertson, maybe they will have it!

18 Caitlin November 1, 2011 at 1:29 pm

HA Bring it On: The Musical DEF seems very off Broadway. In fact in LA it’s as far off as you can get! Jealous that you got to run with SR, even a non-runner like myself would love to run with her! Have fun!
Caitlin recently posted..At-Home Workout + My First Thai Experience

19 Monica C. November 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm

SR and your blog are my two favorites! Who knew that you guys would get together? And yes, you were brave to run with her – I would have been like, “Call me when you start your cool down and I’ll meet you then!”
Monica C. recently posted..89 more days!

20 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine November 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Glad you enjoyed your run! I live in Pasadena, and I picked up some friends at LAX the other night. It is totally crazy with the construction!

Keep us informed if you’re doing any reader/blogger meet-ups while you’re here! πŸ™‚
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Happy Halloween!

21 Jamie November 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm

You should definitely try out Urth Caffe. There is one in Beverly Hills (on Beverly Dr) and also one in Santa Monica on Main Street. They have amazing food and even more amazing desserts! It’s a great lunch spot!

22 Amylynn November 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm

There is also one in West Hollywood on Melrose ave. Their pumpkin pie is to die for!!

23 Lauryn November 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

You have to go to toast (two blocks up from where you were atmagnolias bakery) on 3rd street away from the mall. Best breakfast and lunch in la. And get a skinny vanilla latte too

24 Meghann November 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

My brother recommended that spot too! I’ll have to check it out!
Meghann recently posted..Keeping Up With SkinnyRunner

25 AmandaRunsNY November 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I love that light installation! The movie, is okay, but that scene is beautiful! So lucky that you got to see it in full force.

26 SkinnyRunner November 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm

thats tragic about jamba juice. ill punch LA in the face for you. have fun this week here!
SkinnyRunner recently posted..Celebrity Halloween Costumes

27 Mallory November 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This is where I run every weekend!

28 heather November 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

So jealous you got to run with sarah, how fun! Hope you are having a blast!

29 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm

My acting teacher thus semester used to work in LA and a few of his friends are actually in the musical. He said that it is actually pretty good, but I still have my doubts. πŸ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Why I Love Halloween…

30 Kathleen November 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I jut love running in different cities and capturing the sights. Sounds like you have lots of running to do in the next week. Good luck and remember to save those legs for the marathon.
Kathleen recently posted..The foundation to what’s next

31 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hahahaha, bring it on the musical!?!? That’s fantastic! And running with blog friends is great! I got to run with Chelsey from Clean Eating Chelsey a couple weeks ago! It was so weird to meet her and feel like a creeper that I already knew so much about her!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Birthday 2: Brunch, Cake, and Bedding!

32 joelle (on a pink typewriter) November 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Bring It On the musical? Bahaha awesome.. I’m sure that will be a Tony nominee. πŸ˜‰ Enjoy LA, my old stomping grounds! I highly recommend Urth Cafe for lunch!!! Amazing soup, salad, bread, teas… There one in Santa Monica.
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Trick or treat Monday things

33 Marlina November 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I didn’t even know Jamba Juice had a pumpkin smoothie! Now that I’m all stoked to grab one, they’ll be out of pumpkin too πŸ™‚ ha, gotta love life.

p.s. TOTALLY jealous you got to run with SR! Not that I could keep up or anything…
Marlina recently posted..Dinner: Coconut Chicken Chili

34 Emily@SavoryandSavage November 1, 2011 at 4:14 pm

So jealous – you got to do a run with SR!! It sounds like it was a great time – enjoy the rest of your trip.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Finally – Mantu!!

35 Sana November 1, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I adore you and SR! Have fun in LA!!
Sana recently posted..The Final Picture

36 Cait's Plate November 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Hahaha. Bring it One: The Musical!?! No way. Can that be anything but just amazingly awesome? πŸ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Ghost Cupcakes

37 Sara November 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Sorry, had to interject- my BEST friend is playing the male lead in Bring It On! You should go see it while you’re there!

38 Ari @ Ari's Menu November 1, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I would totally see Bring It On the Musical. I still secretly want to see Legally Blonde. Not so secretly now… πŸ˜‰ I love things that are badtastic.
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Our Halloween

39 Socal Rachel November 2, 2011 at 3:02 am

I was at LACMA taking pictures of the very same light display on Halloween night. Enjoy LA!

40 Sophie November 3, 2011 at 9:03 am

2 marathons in a weekend?! Wowzer!
Sophie recently posted..A Letter To The One That Got Away.