Farmer’s Market

by Meghann on November 1, 2011

I discovered the mecca of all outdoor markets in Los Angeles this afternoon – The Farmer’s Market at The Grove.

It was love at first sight. Obviously. πŸ™‚

IMG_0607.jpg

My brother has been telling me about the Farmer’s Market near him ever since he moved here t4 months ago. He told me it was a very ‘Meghann place’ and that I would really enjoy a visit there while he was at the hospital doing whatever it is doctors do (you know, saving lives and all that jazz).

He wasn’t kidding – I loved it! The whole area reminded me of a LA version of Reading Terminal Market. There were lots of booths with different items to sell, places to eat, and sweets to drool over.

IMG_0563.JPG IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG IMG_0570.JPG

There was one stand in particular that Josh told me I had to check out – the peanut stand.

Why the peanut stand? Because of this little baby.

IMG_0577.jpg

Homemade slow churned specialty nut butters!! Jackpot!

My brother knows me well. πŸ˜‰ It didn’t take long to find a fabulous nut butter that met my fancy and shell out the ridiculous price tag for it.

This baby is coming home with me.

IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0584.JPG

After drooling at the Farmer’s Market, I headed down the street to Toast for lunch.

The restaurant had caught my eye when I ran by it this morning. When Josh told me it was a good spot, I knew I had to try it.

I ordered the grilled farmer’s panini melt, which was stuffed grilled veggies, pesto, and goat cheese.

It was amazing.

Check out the colorful fruit cup it came with!

Now, THAT’S a fruit cup. Yum. πŸ™‚

I headed back to the Farmer’s Market after lunch for something sweet.

The cream puff had my name on it.

Then I walked to Trader Joe’s where I spent too much time buying things that’ll never fit in my suitcase. Fail.

Super jealous my brother lives so close to a Trader Joe’s! The closest one to me is in Atlanta. πŸ™

I’m pretty sure I walked over 3 miles this afternoon just exploring. I love this little area and how walker friendly it is. I just wish I would have thought to wear different shoes.

Maybe walking around in cheap boots 4 days before a marathon wasn’t the best idea…. ouch.

I’m off to soak my feet.

Have a great Tuesday!

p.s. Glee premieres tonight!! Whose ready to see Damien rock it?!?!

1 Katie November 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Looks like you had an amazing afternoon! So jealous πŸ™‚ I think more Fruit cups always need to look like that!

2 Sweet and Savvy November 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Holy crap… now THAT is a Farmer’s Market! Definitely jealous of your brother’s location!

3 Carrie November 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Next time, eat AT the Farmer’s Market! So much good stuff.

4 Meghann November 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I think I’ll eat lunch there tomorrow. I already had my heart set on Toast today. πŸ™‚

5 mab November 1, 2011 at 7:59 pm

They are buliding a Trader Joes a few miles from tampa .

6 Meghann November 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Just did a little googling and discovered that (yay!) they’re building a Trader Joe’s in Naples! http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/sep/07/trader-joes-coming-naples/ Unfortunately Naples is still 3 hours from Tampa. Boo. πŸ™

7 Army Amy* November 1, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I’m drooling over that sandwich! Yum!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Lemon Scented

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm

OH wow-that sandwich does look/sound delicious!

How fun πŸ™‚ and yummy!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..What Is The BodyBugg ?

9 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna November 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm

looks like a fun day!! your panini looks amazing, i have been meaning to make more fun combos with my panini maker but have yet to get around to it – now i have a new idea! πŸ™‚

can’t wait for glee tonight – they have been killing me with the 3-week break! especially excited for damien πŸ˜‰

10 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm

that farmers market looks so cool! I love that it’s indoors (not that they need it in LA…) but that would be great here in Chicago during the winter!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Birthday 2: Brunch, Cake, and Bedding!

11 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 1, 2011 at 8:15 pm

That looks like the best market ever!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..october recipe round up

12 Cait's Plate November 1, 2011 at 8:19 pm

OH MY!! That panini!?!?! It looks incredible!! So jealous of the Farmer’s Market. I would literally go broke there.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Ghost Cupcakes

13 Brittany November 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I went to this same Farmer’s Market when I visited LA last year. We ate tacos from a Mexican stand there that were amazing! If you get a chance you should checkout the Hollywood Farmers Market – it was my favorite.
Brittany recently posted..Warrior Blend, Pumpkin Cookies and Halloween Fun

14 Meghann November 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm

A few others have commented about the taco stand too! I think I may go back and try it for lunch today. πŸ™‚

15 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Ah, I love the farmer’s market there! I miss LA!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Post-halloween perks

16 Britt @ Run with Britt November 1, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Oh.My.Gosh. That fruit cup. I want summer back! Next time I’m in Cali I’m going to have to check the farmer’s market out. I’m jealous of all those people who get to live so close to it. Not fair. Haha
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Nothing Says Halloween Quite Like….

17 Maria November 1, 2011 at 8:49 pm

that cream puff looks yummy! what a cool place! We just got a TJ’s right next door to our apt. I can see it from our living room window πŸ™‚ It definitely comes in handy when I need something quick for dinner.

18 Amanda November 1, 2011 at 9:24 pm

That sandwich looks so, so good. And I was thinking the same thing as you about the fruit cup – THAT’S how all fruit cups should be done.

What a great farmer’s market. It reminds me of SF. So many beautiful options!
Amanda recently posted..Banana Bread As Therapy

19 Emily November 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Glad you had a fun time at the farmers market! I just want to steal that black berry from your fruit cup. It looks delicious!
Emily recently posted..Tell Me Something I Don’t Know

20 Christie November 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Wow, that fruit cup is so vibrant! I looooooove farmer’s markets! And at least the boots looked good πŸ˜›
Christie recently posted..A whirlwind week.

21 Alaina November 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

What a great afternoon! My uncle took me there when I came out to visit him. πŸ™‚

Cute outfit! I love your necklace.
Alaina recently posted..Snow in October

22 Hillary November 1, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I see myself diving face-first into that peanut butter vat if I ever visit LA. Yum.
Hillary recently posted..Apple Crisp

23 Carissa November 1, 2011 at 10:57 pm

How fun! I love The Grove. Kyle and I visited it when we tried to be on the Price is Right a few years ago. Fail. The guy behind Kyle got on! And that was a Gorgeous fruit cup!
Carissa recently posted..Birthday Surprises!

24 laura November 1, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Ah! I love the grove, the farmers market, and the nut stand!! The lady there is so nice and will let you sample all of the butters!

25 Maureen November 1, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Oh! I’ve been to that Farmers Market before. It was a few years ago on vacation…loved it! That cream puff looks amazing!

I cannot wait to watch Glee…I a such a Gleek!
Maureen recently posted..Weekend Recap – Trying New Things

26 Cait the Arty Runnerchick November 1, 2011 at 11:27 pm

hey, i’m over here from Skinny Runner! wow, i have to say that panini did look insanely delicious, and i also have to admit i’ve NEVER been to a farmer’s market anywhere near as epic as that one! i think the last one i went to was housed in some Safeway-esque shopping center. πŸ˜›

that sweet treat also looking droolworthy. πŸ™‚

27 Kristina November 1, 2011 at 11:51 pm

You might want to explain that this is the “Original” Farmers Market – not to be confused with the multitude of weekly markets that happen around town (Santa Monica, Silverlake, Pasadena on Saturday, for example). Also, I hate to tell you this, but one of the best Mexican places in LA is LoterΓ­a, one of the stands at the Farmers Market. The chilaquiles, enchiladas, aguas frescas and everything else are amazing.
Kristina recently posted.."Race" Report: Lasse Viren 2011

28 Meghann November 2, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I was actually thinking about heading back to the Farmer’s Market today to try the Mexican place. It does sound good. πŸ™‚

29 Catherineine @ Jig and Jog November 2, 2011 at 12:06 am

You are totally in my hood! I’m walking distance from The Grove. πŸ™‚

30 Candice November 2, 2011 at 12:57 am

I don’t have a TJs close to me either so when I get the chance I fill up my bag with the goods! LOVE TJ’s!!
And I’m in complete envy of that nut butter stand! PURE GENIUS!
Candice recently posted..Diagnosed.

31 Krystina (Organically Me) November 2, 2011 at 1:45 am

That panini looks SO good.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Can Hormones Cause Weight Loss Relapse?

32 Lauren November 2, 2011 at 2:55 am

OBSESSED with Damien. He did so well!! I loved, “Say U2 is overrated!” “Never!!” <3

33 Kristen (inspiredbydooce) November 2, 2011 at 6:12 am

I think I’ve seen Toast on the food network before…

Looks like you’re having a great time with your brother! Yay!
Kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..things i wish i was good at

34 Hope November 2, 2011 at 7:30 am

That farmer’s market looks awesome! So many amazing things! πŸ™‚

That panini look so good. I love veggie paninis. They are the best!
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Shoes!…

35 Emily November 2, 2011 at 8:09 am

Wow! That Farmer’s Market is beautiful! And the nut butter thing is awesome. I know you can make your own at Whole Foods too, but this looks even better!
Emily recently posted..NoJoMo–Day 1

36 Lee November 2, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Well I think that’s a good reason for you to come visit Atlanta then!
Lee recently posted..Fall Foliage

37 Allison November 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

There are always celebrities at that Farmers Market-keep your eye out! Last time I was there I saw Karina Smirnoff πŸ™‚

38 Jennifer L November 2, 2011 at 6:29 pm

When I lived in LA I was 2 miles from a trader joe’s and it was magnificent! It was even cheaper than any of the grocery stores around. Now I live in Detroit and while there’s a TJ’s 20 miles away I rarely make it out there. Enjoy it while you can! Especially the $2 cans of artichoke hearts…

39 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups November 2, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Looks like some great sightseeing and eating! The fresh peanut butter sounds great!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Short lived