It’s Pumpkin Time!

by Meghann on October 28, 2011

What? Not scared? Pshh…I’m proud of my monogrammed creation. :)

My goal for this year’s pumpkin was to to break free of my traditionalist ways and carve something out of the ordinary. Looking back at what I’ve done in the past, I seemed to be carving a lot of the same.

Exhibit A: 2005

Exhibit B: 2006

Exhibit C: 2008

Exhibit D: 2009

See a pattern?

Eyes. Nose. Mouth. Pumpkin.

This year was going to be different. :)

I was inspired by Young House Love’s pumpkin themed post from earlier in the week. They’re so creative with their pumpkins, I wanted to be just like them! (only in a way less creative, less artistic, I’m-making-this-shit-up-as-I-go sort of way).

Pretty, right?

So in…ummm… stealing their creativity, I decided to try the initial route on my own pumpkin this year.

DM(squared) = Derek + Meghann + Maddie :)

I sketched out a few versions until I got one that I liked, then I got to work with the orange guy.

I taped my stencil on the pumpkin

And began to carve.

Derek voiced his concerns over the whole tape-the-stencil-to-the-pumpkin method, but it was getting the job done fine by me.

IMG_9630.JPG IMG_9632.JPG

The whole process was a lot easier than I was expecting. I would rank carving the stenciled letters about the same difficulty as carving eyes, a nose and a mouth. Granted the pattern I chose wasn’t exactly rocket science, but the end result was a lot cooler than the good ole pumpkin face.

I’ll count the ability to make out the DM2 as a success. πŸ˜‰

Now I’m even more inspired to try something new and different with my pumpkin next year! Maybe, I’ll sketch a Maddie face – you know – because I’m totally at the skill level now. Ha!

Are you creative with your pumpkin or are you more of pumpkin face traditionalist? πŸ˜‰

Of course no pumpkin carving experience would be complete without a movie (Green Hornet – the closest thing we could get to a Halloween movie in the era of DVD kiosks and our current snail’s pace internet speed), comfort food, and a beer.

I had roasted some cauliflower and parsnip for a side dish, but found the combo a bit boring on its own. Some ricotta cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and a little oregano fix it right up. :)

I preferred this dish the the bbq chicken I made to pair with it. This could have easily been the whole meal and I would have been happy. :)

Tommy Knocker’s Pumpkin Beer? Eh. Wasn’t a fan.

It tasted a little water down. Weak!

Dessert was a slice of Pumpkin Apple Pecan Bread with a scoop of coffee fudge ice cream.

The pumpkin seeds are currently drying – let’s hope I don’t burn them this time!

5k in the morning!

Good Night

1 Haley @ Health Freak College Girl October 28, 2011 at 11:21 pm

cute!! and it’s always pumpkin time in my mind :)
Haley @ Health Freak College Girl recently posted..confessions

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 28, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I want to carve a pumpkin! …is it okay to admit it’s mostly just because i want to roast the seeds? πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

3 Annette @ with a side of brownies October 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Cute pumpkin. I usually just make faces, but once my husband learned he could use his powertools he suddenly became our pumpkin artist (sigh)
Annette @ with a side of brownies recently posted..Struggling

4 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm

We are carving our pumpkins tomorrow! :) I hope you don’t mind if I borrow your initials idea! (:
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Recipes You HAVE to Make

5 Meghann October 29, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Ha! I stole it from Young House Love, so borrow away!
Meghann recently posted..Boring

6 Bethany @ More Fruit Please October 29, 2011 at 12:12 am

I took a really untraditional route this year with my pumpkins and decorated them using fabric, glitter, and flowers! ( They came out very pretty and feminine. I’m so in love with them, that I don’t know if I’ll go back to carving pumpkins anytime soon!
Bethany @ More Fruit Please recently posted..Salad Lover

7 Meghann October 29, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Pretty! See – I need to be more creative like that!

8 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 29, 2011 at 1:07 am

I like it! I always carve the same old faces, but I’d like to try to do something different this year. I need to get on the whole pumpkin carving thing…I can’t believe Halloween’s on Monday!

9 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner October 29, 2011 at 5:26 am

I’m not creative in the slightest, but my hubs is an artist and has carved amazing pumpkins. He has a slight obsession with the Mona Lisa and has actually carved it on a plastic pumpkin. It’s incredible!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently bump body: 1 week

10 Meghann October 29, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I’m jealous of those skills. I have none.

11 Lauren October 29, 2011 at 6:04 am

I love the monogram pumpkin theme! Haha, its funny that as we get older, we go for the more Martha Stewart theme in every holiday. :) Happy Halloween Meghann!
Lauren recently posted..The Battle of Womanhood

12 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 29, 2011 at 8:50 am

that is a VERY impressive pumpkin! love the m squared :)
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..the day has come {+ pizza party!}

13 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 29, 2011 at 8:57 am

That side dish does look amazing, and cheesy! Good luck on your run, I’m sure it will be fun!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..My Present to Myself!

14 Anna October 29, 2011 at 9:53 am

You should try Tommy Knocker’s Maple Nut Brown Ale. I’m from Colorado and can get it on tap, but the bottled version is also very good.

15 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 29, 2011 at 10:31 am

Love the monogrammed pumpkin! I’m inspired!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Chill and chili

16 Army Amy* October 29, 2011 at 10:42 am

Your pumpkin came out great! I have no artistic skills. My husband showed me a pumpkin “carving” app on his phone, and I couldn’t even do that!*
Army Amy* recently posted..One week sans husband

17 Amanda October 29, 2011 at 11:23 am

I also saw that YHL post and loved all of their pumpkin decorating ideas. Nice job with your carving! :)
Amanda recently posted..TGIF Pumpkin Spice Donuts

18 Mellissa October 29, 2011 at 11:28 am

Good effort

19 kirsten October 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

It came out great!! :)

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm

VERY cool. I love the design. I so do NOT do anything cool-I always do a pumpkin face. Haha. But yours looks great!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Upright Row

21 Ali @ Ali Runs October 30, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love your pumpkin idea! I’m usually very traditional when I carve a pumpkin – and go for a standard face.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Post-Marathon Reflection

22 David October 31, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Hey I found you via Google Reader, but I just wanted to give you a quick tip when carving pumpkins.

If you print out a design, and tape it to your pumpkin, you can use a thumb tack, push pin, or the like, to push into the pumpkin to give you an outline of what you’re going to cut. This way you won’t have to worry about the paper moving and realigning things up. Also, it gives you a better idea of what the finished product will look like before you start cutting.

I think your 2011 design is a welcomed change from the standard jack-o-lantern face, although you can never really go wrong with your old pumpkins!

Happy Halloween!