Fitlife Foods

by Meghann on October 27, 2011

And this is why I love social media…

Screen shot 2011-10-27 at 9.01.16 PM.png

New location? Free food?

I’m there!

Why, hello, new Carrollwood Fitlife Foods location. ;)

I actually had the pleasure of visiting the original Fitlife Foods South Tampa location back in August, but wasn’t able to try any of the food at the time (which is a shame because it all looked so good!). When my friend Nadine turned me on to the soft opening of the new location (via Facebook) I knew I had to take advantage. The mention of free food didn’t hurt either. ;)

Fitlife Foods is a prepared foods takeout store that sells ‘indulgently healthy’ pre-packaged meals. Their meals are color coded by breakfast, lunch/dinner, and snacks; and come in small, medium and large sizes based on calorie count and serving size. The main concept is to provide quick, healthy options (or meal plans) for those who don’t have the time (or know how) to make healthy meals on their own.

The main fridge contains a wide selection of meals that range from ‘Tampa BBQ Beef’ to ‘Crossfit Mash.’ They have vegetarian and gluten free options, as well as naturally sweetened desserts. Some items need to be heated in a microwave and some can be enjoyed cold.

My friend Nadine (and in-store wellness coach) walked me through a few options and helped me make my final selections.

So, what did I end up with?

First up – the Citrus Salmon Salad

This instantly caught my attention because of the beautiful fresh vegetables that peeked through the packaging.

With just a touch of dressing.

The salmon was surprisingly moist, the vegetables were light and flavorful, and the small serving size was deceivingly filling. I really liked it. My only complaint would be the $8.75 price tag. The whole store is a little pricey. I mean, you get good stuff for what you pay for, but it’s hard to fork over that much and get back so little.

*edited to add* I was just informed that packaged meals sold on the day they’re dated are priced at a 50% discount. Sweet.

Nadine also sent me out the door with a sample of Morning Museli.

(ignore the nutrition facts – they were giving away sample sizes in honor of the soft opening and the facts were written for the original (larger) container size)

Lots of shredded apple here with just the right amount of nutty pieces. It was a little on the thin side, but I like my muesli thick. :)

After enjoying my (free) lunch, I headed to Starbucks for an iced coffee and an afternoon of work.

A few hours later I was ready for my final Fitlife item – Chili Lime Dip.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the dip itself, but I’m now inspired to add fresh jicama to all of my future vegetable snack plates (hello perfect dipper!).

Unfortunately, dinner wasn’t very photogenic, so I’ll spare you the photo and just let you know that I had leftovers from last night’s dinner. They were delicious, despite what the photo may say.

Also, a serving of mint chocolate chip ice cream may have missed the camera lens too. ;)

Running Costume Ideas

Help! I need a halloween costume that I can quickly throw together for a race I have this weekend with materials I already have on hand.

Any ideas?

1 Stacey @starpulp October 27, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Yes! Tin foil & a sharpie! Wrap yourself up however comfortable & go as “leftovers”. Write a big expiration date (funnier if it’s from two weeks ago) on it. Get really crazy & have someone mold a duck shape on your back like the fancy restaurants used to do. If you do this, tweet me a pic @starpulp. It was a laugh at my party last weekend.
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Brussels Sprouts will surprise you…

2 Allison @ thesundayflog October 27, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Everytime I see carrollwood I think “carrollHOOD” lol. I’ve been conditioned to think that ;) this place look awesome and helpful for people embarking on a healthy eating lifestyle change

3 Jessica October 27, 2011 at 10:43 pm

That salmon looked good!

If you have any success cutting a jicama, share your secret! I absolutely love it, but have so far been unable to cut it up, even after watching youtube videos!

4 Stacey @starpulp October 27, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Ahh thought of another! Wear your race number and carry a bottle of rum.. “run runner”
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Brussels Sprouts will surprise you…

5 Krystina (Organically Me) October 27, 2011 at 11:19 pm

That sounds like a great idea for eating healthy on the go! Too bad they don’t have one in Orlando. ;)

6 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 27, 2011 at 11:33 pm

there’s a company here in texas that does that same meal thing and they are doing a demo at my Bikram studio!

Also be a twister board – just draw or cut out dots to tape to a white shirt/shorts!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Wednesday Workout

7 Samantha October 28, 2011 at 2:10 am

A few years back I subscribed to a fitness/nutrition one one one training online and its the ONLY time in my adult life I’ve been successful at losing weight. They puzzle pieced my meals and all I had to do was grab half to 2 servings from various categories and make them. Sadly, they’re not longer in business. Thus, I’d love a FitLife Foods!

A friend won a local 5k costume contest last year when she went as the One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater. The year before, she placed with her own version of Miss Universe but instead of being a pageant queen, she was literally, the universe!

8 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 28, 2011 at 6:46 am

What a cool store/restaurant concept! Costumes for races are tricky because you don’t want your costume to bog you down. Maybe the cheerleading coach from Glee? Or the tortoise or the hare?
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Packing break

9 Hope October 28, 2011 at 7:51 am

That is such a cool concept! Plus, it’s even better that you got your lunch for free! Nothing beats a free and healthy lunch :)

What about Tinkerbell? You can wear a tutu with wings and a tiara? I would think it would be easy to run in.
Hope recently posted..My End Of October Favorites…

10 Britt @ Run with Britt October 28, 2011 at 8:18 am

What a cool concept! That’s the downside of living in the boonies, no cool stores like that. The food looks so fresh and healthy, plus it was free. WIN, WIN! :)
You should be a flamingo! Get hot pink tights/shorts and make a pink top and wear a boa!

11 Cait's Plate October 28, 2011 at 8:41 am

Take a t-shirt, draw a dotted line down the center and a fork on it and be a fork in the road ;)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Stolen My Heart

12 Amanda October 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

I love the concept of that store. I’m not sure something like that really exists around Boston…

Maybe you could be something involving a tutu? I remember you had one from the Disney Princess marathon?
Amanda recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

13 Jen October 28, 2011 at 9:45 am

What a cool store! I’d be all over that place!

For a simple costume that won’t get annoying, you could slap together your most mist-matched running gear, perhaps a sweatband & some leg warmers and be a jazzercise instructor (from the 80′s).

14 wymberley October 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

Jicima is great with chamoy or chili-lime power. It is my kids favorite snack.
wymberley recently posted..5 Mile Tour of The Taco Row

15 Reenie October 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

That food looks good!

16 Mandy R October 28, 2011 at 10:24 am

Where a turtle t-shirt and bunny ears. Then you can be the tortoise and the hare!

17 Mandy R October 28, 2011 at 10:24 am

*wear

18 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane October 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Hmm you could always dress as a punk runner : ) fake mohawk, colored hair, pleather jacket……or a giant shoe, I saw this recently and it looks hilarious!!
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Friday Running Cartoon

19 David Osterweil November 4, 2011 at 12:07 am

Thanks for all the kudos. I am the owner of Fitlife Foods and I loved seeing all of the amazing photos and great reviews of the food. Thanks for all of your support Meghann. We are very excited to be up in the North Tampa area. We had a number of customers having to make the trek down South twice a week for their meals, so we hope this is easier. If anyone ever has any questions, please reach out to me at davido@eatfitlifefoods.com or contact me on Facebook at Fitlife Foods. Thanks again.