Hubba Hubbard

by Meghann on October 26, 2011

Once the weather begins to turn cooler, nothing screams fall more than the beautiful assortment of winter squash that fills the produce sections and farmer market bins this time of year.

Now, I’m familiar with the classic spaghetti, acorn, and butternut squashes (and the delicious soups I can make with all of them), but last weekend I stumbled across something that hadn’t been on my ‘squash’ radar before.

The little sign at the produce stand informed me that it was a hubbard squash. It was similar in texture to a pumpkin and had a slightly sweeter meat that made it perfect for ‘roasting, pies, and soups’.

The hubbard squash made the trip home with me and was on my mind for dinner tonight.

I first tried peeling it with a peeler (fail), then decided to cut in half and see where that got me.

Much better.

Without any real idea what I was doing, I finished cutting the squash in quarters, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and roasted it in the oven for 30 minutes at 375.

Perfection.

The squash was my base for a recipe I’m working on for my Attune recipe next month. (*hint* the ‘meat’ is actually Uncle Sam cereal – figure that one out πŸ˜‰ )

The squash was like butter under my fork. The taste was a tad sweeter than I was expecting, but nothing crazy. The skin melted with the meat and became non-existent, the caramelization was spot on, and it meshed with the salty meat perfectly. I liked it. πŸ™‚

I even tried roasting the seeds, but… ummm….. wasn’t as successful.

Fail. πŸ™

At least I got the important part right? πŸ˜‰

Earlier I snacked on some cheerios/almond/chopped dates with applesauce.

Dessert was some Ghiradelli dark chocolate.

Mmm….. chocolate…..

I had fun trying a new vegetable today. When was the last time you tried something new? Did it come out the way you were expecting?

1 Sana October 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I tried spaghetti squash and it was overwhelming b/c their was SO MUCH OF IT!
Sana recently posted..Day 26: Close-up

2 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

The good thing is spaghetti squash freezes easily and you can do so much with it. Try it with black beans and salsa as a casserole. πŸ™‚

3 Krystina (Organically Me) October 26, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Cereal meat? Interesting!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Pumpkin Carving

4 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:25 am

Yes! Sometimes I surprise/ weird my own self out, but I promise it tasted good!

5 Lindsey October 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm

The other night I roasted butternut squash, then put it in the blender with Greek yogurt and Parmesan cheese to make a “mac and cheese” sauce. It was unbelievable! I can almost say it was better than Kraft Dinner and it was obviously way healthier too!

6 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

Wow! That does sounds good! I love using leftover squash soup as a pasta sauce, so I could definitely see this working. πŸ˜‰

7 Army Amy* October 26, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I tried to use dried beans instead of canned beans recently. Apparently my cooking skills are worse than I thought: I can’t soak beans. I tried twice and they came out yucky both times.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Celebratin’

8 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:27 am

And this is why making my own beans intimidates me….

9 Kathleen @ The Daily Crumb October 26, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I tried eggplant this week but definitely messed up. It came out tasting like a bitter brick!

The Hubbard squash looks delish!
Kathleen @ The Daily Crumb recently posted..no way around it…

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I tried kabocha last year and was so upset that I wasn’t a fan! It wasn’t bad but I definitely prefer others over it.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin pie phyllo bites

11 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:28 am

I had the same thoughts when I tried it. It was ok, but I’m more of an acorn squash/ acorn squash girl. The kabocha is a little too mushy for my liking.

12 crystal October 26, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Did you try rinsing the seeds, drying them and then coating them w/melted butter? That’s what I do for pumpkin seeds. So good.

13 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:29 am

Yes (minus the melted butter), my error came when accidentally setting the oven at 475 instead of 375. Oops.

14 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy October 26, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I can’t wait to find out what you did with that cereal! Looks mighty tasty.
Also my favorite part about laboring over squash is toasting the seeds!

15 Amy October 27, 2011 at 1:38 am

I actually haven’t tried something new in a while. I think that needs to change!
Amy recently posted..Dude. WTF (Part 2)

16 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile October 27, 2011 at 6:32 am

I have yet to buy squash at the store! I used to try and get a new veggie each week and make it!

17 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 27, 2011 at 6:38 am

Sounds delicious! The last new vegetable I made was purple sweet potato. I made fries out of them and they were really good!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Endless shrimp

18 tracey October 27, 2011 at 7:01 am

I love to bake but try not to do so much of it since I started this quest for healthy living. FYI – substituting splenda for real sugar in recipes is NOT always the same thing…

19 Ali @ Ali Runs October 27, 2011 at 7:07 am

I haven’t tried anything new in a while! I would love to experiment with some of the winter squashes that I pass in the grocery store every week!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Niagara Falls International Marathon Race Recap

20 Ali @ Ali Runs October 27, 2011 at 7:08 am

winter squash** Turns out squashes is NOT the plural of squash. I knew that looked funny.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Niagara Falls International Marathon Race Recap

21 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:30 am

haha – that was something I had to think about too. Squashes just didn’t sound right when I first typed it. πŸ˜‰

22 Hillary October 27, 2011 at 7:14 am

I had never heard of hubbards until seeing them in Real Simple last month. I need to be on the lookout because they sound like they’re right up my alley!
Hillary recently posted..The Second Time Around

23 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:30 am

Now I want to look up the article about them in Real Simple!

24 Hope October 27, 2011 at 7:33 am

That sounds good! Lately, I’ve been trying all different types of squash. The last one I tried was a delicata squash. It tasted very similar to butternut.
Hope recently posted..3 Years Ago Today…

25 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 27, 2011 at 8:45 am

When it comes to new kinds of produce, especially squash, I’m so intimidated! I’ve made spaghetti squash before (or maybe I thought about it?), in general proving my fear. At the farmers market yesterday I was so tempted to buy every pumpkin and squash I saw. I need to get over this fear. πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day

26 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:38 am

I find squash the least intimidating because I know I can just roast it and it will be fine… most of the time. πŸ˜‰

27 Amanda October 27, 2011 at 8:47 am

I’ve never heard of that type of squash, but I’m excited to try it! I actually haven’t tried something new in a while, probably because I’ve been shopping at TJs and their veggie selection isn’t all that spectacular. Time for a trip to Whole Foods! πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Carrot Orange Ginger Soup

28 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:39 am

I know what you mean. I shop at Publix and I get tired of seeing the same old produce, then I head to the Farmer’s Market or Whole Foods and it’s like this whole new world has opened up.

29 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday October 27, 2011 at 8:55 am

That’s the smallest hubbard squash I’ve ever seen.
We use to sell hubbard squash at a market that I worked at as a teenager and they were bigger than pumpkins.

30 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

I thought most of the squash they had seemed small (especially the butternut squash), but I find that’s true at most Farmer Markets versus general grocery stores.

31 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 27, 2011 at 9:27 am

I tried acorn squash awhile ago—and LOVED it. YUMM. Yours looks delish too!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..How To Never Give Up + Thankful Thursday

32 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 27, 2011 at 9:36 am

I made salsify! It was so weird but so good!! Last year I got hooked on celariac as well! I REALLY want to try a black turnip!! I love going to markets in different sections of town and seeing what people of different cultures stick in their basket.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The One Where I Crapped My Pants.

33 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:41 am

Celariac?! Off to google….

34 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 27, 2011 at 10:43 am

it’s like a turnip a potato and a celery had a three way baby. and then I mashed it because it was both delicious and an abomination.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The One Where I Crapped My Pants.

35 Cait's Plate October 27, 2011 at 10:03 am

It has been FAR too long since I’ve been adventurous with food. I need to change that ASAP!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Stolen My Heart

36 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 27, 2011 at 10:44 am

Union Sq farmer’s mkt has a plethora of odd stuff right now.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The One Where I Crapped My Pants.

37 Lindsay October 27, 2011 at 10:38 am

Are you sure that’s a Hubbard? It looks more like a Sunshine Winter Squash . Hubbards are usually a grey-blue/green color on the outside.
Lindsay recently posted..{Review}: Third Street Chai

38 Lindsay October 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

I take that back- after some googling I guess they can be orange too! I’ve never seen an orange one up north only the blue/green kind.
Lindsay recently posted..{Review}: Third Street Chai

39 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:47 am

When I googled it to make sure I had the spelling right I thought the same thing – wait, mine is orange and these are blue/green?! – but then I saw that they can be bright orange too. I guess it’s the same as having a green acorn squash versus a golden one?

40 Lindsay October 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

Update: Sunshine Squash is the orange version of Kabocha – i wonder if the color variations are due to where they are grown
Lindsay recently posted..{Review}: Third Street Chai

41 Silvia @ skinny jeans food October 27, 2011 at 11:41 am

I think the hubbard squash is known under all kinds of names: sunshine squash, red kuri squash, etc. Hubbard does not sound very sexy, but sunshine and red kuri do πŸ˜‰

love it for spicy squash soups with a hot chili.
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Halloween

42 Silvia @ skinny jeans food October 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

or hokkaido squash.
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Halloween

43 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 27, 2011 at 11:48 am

I grabbed a kombucha squash when I was at the market last week, and boy was that tough to cut through! Very good though!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Some for Them, Some for Me (or not).

44 Laury @thefitnessdish November 10, 2011 at 11:32 am

That’s actually red kuri squash!Not Hubbard<—that's grey -blue or green.

Red kuri amazing!!!!

The first time I made it I too was mistaken by what it was as well. It's now my favorite! I slice it real thin with cinnamon an evoo and roast for a long time. amazing.

thought you should know! I was corrected by a friend that grows red kuri.
Laury @thefitnessdish recently posted..Warm N’ Spicy Chocolate Cacao