Pancake House

by Meghann on October 24, 2011

Good Morning!

After three days of hiking the mountain side, attempting to run some steep hills, and walking all over town – my quads and IT bands are officially killing me. This is proof that I live in a land that is flat as a pancake and I need more hill drills in my life. Perhaps a challenge for when I return home? I can hear the treadmill calling my name already.

I was able to get one final hilly run in before we left town this morning. I navigated the roads around our cabin – and probably walked up the hills more than I ran them -, but this Florida girl was just fine with that. Two miles were done and done. :)

If you’ve ever been to Pigeon Forge, then you probably already know that the roads aren’t lined with gold – they’re lined with pancake houses. Tons and tons of pancake houses! The crazy part is that – if you were to drive down the main strip on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday morning – you would find everyone of their parking lots packed wtih cars. I guess Tennesseans really love their pancakes?

We always joked about eating at one someday, but never actually had.

Until today.

My Dad thought it would be fun to hit one up on our way out of town and I’m not one to argue over pancakes. (Tennesseans aren’t the only ones who love pancakes ;))

The Log Cabin Pancake House was literally down the street from our cabin and had a parking lot that was just as packed as you would expect to find on any given Sunday morning. A sign we hoped that meant this was a good one.

We were seated right away and I ordered a stack of buckwheat pancakes with blueberries.

I love the grainy texture and dark taste of buckwheat pancakes. These were right on the money, yet were still light and fluffy when you dug into them with your fork. It was pancake perfection.

Whenever I order pancakes, I always order a side of egg with them to ensure my meal has at least some protein to it. This trick gives my pancakes a little staying power while adding an extra bit of flavor to my meal. (eggs + pancakes + syrup = love)

I finished half the pancakes, all of the eggs, and am now settling in for a long drive homes with a happy belly and mind.

This little getaway has been fun, but I miss long runs on flat land, playing with Maddie, and cuddling with Derek. Apparently Derek caught the same thing I had last week and is miserable trying to get over it. Poor baby. :(

Only 11 more hours to home! Here we go!

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run October 24, 2011 at 11:13 am

Looks like you had such an amazing vacation. I am so jealous of all of the fall pictures! Great photos :)
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..The Great Pace Debate

2 Shanna, Like Banana October 24, 2011 at 11:15 am

I’d be all over that street! Buckwheat pancakes are fabulous, though I’m still trying to taste my local diner’s carrot cake pancakes!
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Growth

3 Michelle October 24, 2011 at 11:16 am

Have a safe drive back. I’m more of a waffle girl…
Michelle recently posted..Weekend Fun: Carnival, BBQ, and Bowling

4 Sara @my less serious life October 24, 2011 at 11:21 am

i love this tip for ordering eggs with pancakes. i rarely order pancakes when out because they leave me unsatisfied very shortly after. who knew all i had to do was order a side of eggs!
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..weekend review: working weekend

5 Lindsey October 24, 2011 at 11:23 am

Those pancakes look delicious! I love pancakes, I think they are my favorite breaky food. At home to get the protein I top mine with Greek yogurt.
Lindsey recently posted..Dark Chocolate Nut Clusters

6 maria @ a life to bragg about October 24, 2011 at 11:24 am

I love pancake houses! One of the best parts about living in the south! And I only make buckwheat pancakes, they’re the best!

7 Britt @ runwithbritt October 24, 2011 at 11:41 am

Yum! That pancake house looks like heaven!
Britt @ runwithbritt recently posted..My Running Journey Part 3

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 24, 2011 at 11:48 am

Ahh this makes me want to cry! I recently found out I may be gluten intolerant! Lol making your own at home is just not the same! Glad you enjoyed it though, and have a safe drive back!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Weekend Cooking Fest!

9 joelle (on a pink typewriter) October 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm

That sounds like my perfect breakfast spot! I need to remember this for when I take a trip on over to that part of the country. :)

10 Cait's Plate October 24, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Aw, poor Derek! I hope he makes a quick recovery!

Those pancakes look absolutely incredible!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Weekend Scenes

11 Caitlin C. October 24, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Protein with pancakes is def an essential! I like your idea of putting eggs in the syrup – awesome! Have you ever tried syrup on home fries? Amazing combo.
Caitlin C. recently posted..Weekend Wrap-Up

12 laura October 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I agree with this!! My go-to order is scrambled eggs, home fries, and maple syrup.
To. Die. For.
laura recently posted..I’ve made some decisions

13 Corey @ Learning Patience October 24, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Too bad Derek is sick..nothing sucks worse than being sick and home alone…at least he had Maddie to cheer him up!
xoxo from Houston
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Halloween 5k Fun

14 Erin @ GoBananasBlog October 24, 2011 at 1:30 pm

We hit up Pancake Pantry and it was awesome. There was a decent wait but we had a table of 10 yesterday. They had sweet potato pancakes that my mom raved about as well as peanut butter syrup. So yummy! We went to the one in downtown Gatlinburg but I believe there is one in Pigeon Forge too. I highly recommend!
Erin @ GoBananasBlog recently posted..Wonderful Wednesday

15 Emily@SavoryandSavage October 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Buckwheat pancakes are my favorite – especially when they are topped with scrambled eggs.

I hope Derek feels better soon!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Seasoned turkey breakfast patties

16 Sophie October 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Mmmmmm, I really want pancakes now!
Sophie recently posted..Monday Musings.

17 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 24, 2011 at 2:17 pm

i always indulge in a big stack of pancakes on vacation… nothing beats homestyle diner cakes either. yum!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..home.

18 Ari @ Ari's Menu October 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I always get eggs with my pancakes too! Otherwise I’m hungry again in 2 hours.
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Date Night In

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I love eggs with pancakes too!! Staying power is needed :)
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Bent Over Dead Row

20 Maddie Essig October 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm

OK, I have to say it: You are looking fabulous lately! You’re always adorable, but damn girl, you’re rocking those skinny jeans! What you are doing is working – I’m jealous :)
I had pancakes this weekend too – YUM. It was actually at a diner in Minneapolis where Mighty Ducks was filmed (where the boy’s mom worked in the movie). Too cool, and tasty!
Maddie Essig recently posted..I believe in IKEA.

21 Amanda October 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I love buckwheat pancakes. I had a pancake craving yesterday and made some whole wheat ones for breakfast. It reminded me that I really should make them more often…and add pumpkin to celebrate fall! :)
Amanda recently posted..Moroccan-Inspired Hummus

22 Christie October 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm

The pancake house is AMAZING!! So delicious. Hope your honey get better soon!

23 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 October 24, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I had pancakes this weekend too…pumpkin pancakes, actually…at IHOP. They are delish!!

24 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Those pancakes are massive! Looks delicious!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Sarah’s specialty

25 Bethany October 25, 2011 at 8:46 am

Sooooo true about the streets of Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg being lined w/ pancake houses! We were there for the first time over Labor Day weekend and couldn’t believe that there was a market for that many pancake places… I guess it’s a vacation thing? Like getting your hair braided at the beach or something. Go to PF/Gatlinburg and eat pancakes. But it’s not an everywhere in Tennessee thing – we live in NE TN and there’s only one IHOP here!