Secret Twin Connections

by Meghann on October 23, 2011

They say any day that starts with a deer spotting is bound to be a good day, right?

Or…. maybe I just made that up, but let’s go with it. ;)

Our last day in the mountains was a quiet one filled with pretty trees and visits with friends and family. It started with sleep and my inability to rise from my warm and comfy bed until after 8:00. Some cabin beds are awful, but this is one that may be more comfortable than I have at home.

I skipped a workout and instead dug right into a bowl of oats after 8 blissful hours of sleep.

Topped with honey peanut butter, cinnamon, freshly picked rome apple, and crumbles of apple walnut bread from The Apple Barn, it was my ode to fall in a bowl.

The rest of the morning looked like this.

We took a scenic drive through the Smoky Mountains and took advantage of all the photo hot spots. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t get any more picturesque then this. Aren’t my parents the cutest?

IMG_3860.jpg IMG_3859.jpg

My parents and I weren’t the only ones enjoying the beautiful leaves and fall air this weekend, everywhere we went was PACKED with people and cars. The trails? Grocery store? Downtown Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge? Packed! Apparently it’s a good time of year to be in the area and I could totally understand why. The weather is perfect, the sites are beautiful, and really my only complaint is the crowds.

However, we did the unthinkable this afternoon and braved the crowds of downtown Gatlinburg to have lunch with my Great Aunt Rachel and her family. I haven’t seen my aunt or cousins in a good 15 years, so it was fun to play catch up.

We ate at a little pub where the company was better than the food. I had a veggie burger with fries, but left the bun and a majority of the fries behind.

I think my dining companions may have enjoyed the fries a little more than I did.

IMG_3870.JPG IMG_3871.JPG

Love that little ketchup face. :)

Little ketchup face (and his ketchup sister) belong to my beautiful and wonderful friend Ashlee who also made the trip to join us for lunch on this beautiful fall day.

I met Ashlee and her husband Lew at last year’s Foodbuzz Festival and we’ve remained internet friends since. (We even had the chance to see each other last time I was in Tennessee this past April. ) Ashlee and Lew may be one of the sweetest and cutest couples I’ve ever met and their little twins just melt my heart every time I see them. :)

Ashlee and I left lunch a little early to do a little exploring and treat the babies to some ice cream.

IMG_3878.jpg IMG_3880.JPG

And by ‘babies’ I mean me too – I enjoyed a small coffee ice cream from Ben and Jerry’s

(which immediately caught LB’s attention)

Don’t worry – LB shared a small brownie ice cream with his sister and Mom. I think he was a fan. ;)

The twins were too cute.

It’s funny – whenever I tell a new person I have a twin brother I always get the same standard questions 1) Are you identical? (ummm…. since my twin is a BOY I’ll let you ponder that question for a minute) and 2) Do you have a secret twin connection?

I generally giggle or smile at the fun nature of the second question, but the general answer is no, we do not have special twin powers.

However, LB and Daisy just might. Ash informed me this afternoon that they have developed their own twin baby language of sorts and (for the most part) completely understands what one another is trying to say at any given time. How cute and adorable is that?!?! I need to remember to ask my mom if my twin brother and I had the same thing when we were really little. Kind of wish we still had it now!

Hats off to Ashlee (aka SuperMom) for raising two adorable little ones and for being just plain awesome. She rocks. Enough said. ;)

Our time in Gatlinburg was a little bit longer than expected, I reunited with my family after saying goodbye to Ash and watched some football and chatted a little more with the extended fam. When we did make it back to the cabin a couple of hours later I was feeling munchie and had an apple with some Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter for a snack.

We kept it pretty basic for dinner tonight with leftover chili, butternut squash lasagna, and apple walnut bread.

Simple and easy. :)

We head back down south early tomorrow morning.

Good Night!

1 CheezyK October 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm

My friend has twins, a boy and a girl, and gets the ‘are they identical’ question all the time too! I guess some people just don’t understand the meaning of identical … ?
CheezyK recently posted..Rome, Italy

2 Christina @ Just Running October 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I didn’t know you hunted! That’s neat you guys got up bright and early to hunt together. Will you eat the meat?

Sorry, I don’t actually mean anything I just wrote – it’s just funny in my head because you were excited about the deer siting. I’m done now.

You look good holding babies. Do you plan to have kids one day?
Christina @ Just Running recently posted..Race Picture Prices

3 Ashlee October 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm

You are too sweet! I had an awesome time with you this afternoon! I came home and said to Lew “I still can’t believe she is a half ironman!”. Random I know but you rock too!

4 Lew Kizer October 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I am jealous that yall meet up with out me but someone had to go to work! We look forward to seeing u in December. Oh by the way I wonder if I am going to be on that show with u getting the cup cake in my face?

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm

What a fun day! And what adorable little faces!! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..You Are Beautiful

6 Lew Kizer October 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm

One more thing. the question I got the most when they were first born was “can u tell the difference in them with their clothes off”? I would always answer no not at all…;)

7 Sana October 23, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I hear twins run in the family! Maybe you will have twins!
Sana recently posted..Day 23: Sunflare

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 23, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I’ve always wished I had a twin growing up!!! Someone who has always got your back! and built-in playmate when you’re little wouldn’t stink either
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Apple Picking in Indiana!

9 Army Amy* October 23, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I’m loving all the fall clothes you’re wearing!*
Army Amy* recently posted..ACO Fall Fest 10k: Race Recap

10 Emily @ Life on Food October 24, 2011 at 6:26 am

When I lived in Georgia we would spend so much time in the Smokey Mountains hiking. Love the photos!
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake

11 Sophie October 24, 2011 at 6:54 am

Never too old for an ice cream!
Sophie recently posted..Monday Musings.

12 Hillary October 24, 2011 at 6:56 am

My cousins are twins, and they definitely used to have that secret twin thing going on. When they were toddlers, they used to speak in a language that only they understood. It was cute and absolutely fascinating!
Hillary recently posted..Butternut Squash Pizza

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 24, 2011 at 7:13 am

I love twins. I have always had a feeling I woul dhave twins one day, so I am crossing my fingers!!! lol
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..dear weekend

14 Britt @ Run with Britt October 24, 2011 at 7:34 am

I can’t get over how beautiful it is there. All of your pictures make me want to go hiking right now. Those kiddos are adorable! I had two friends in high school that were twins and they always knew what each other was thinking, they sometimes even finished each other’s sentences. It was wild!
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..My Running Journey Part 3

15 Alaina October 24, 2011 at 7:38 am

What gorgeous fall colors!! And those twins are just adorable. :-)

Glad to see you’re having a good time!!
Alaina recently posted..Bridget & Dominic’s Wedding

16 Hope October 24, 2011 at 7:42 am

I always wanted a twin! Haha. My fiance’s aunts are twins and then his one aunt has twins (a boy and a girl). So the chances of us having twins the future is good . :)

Looks like a great time! I love Ben & Jerry’s!
Hope recently posted..A Pizza Filled Sunday…

17 Helen October 24, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Only if twins run in your family! Because it’s to do with the egg either splitting for identical or your body releasing two for fraternal, twins have to run in the maternal side of the family, nothing to do with the dad, unfortunately! :) (Odds seem good for Meghann and Kelly, though! :D)

18 Lee October 24, 2011 at 7:54 am

Those leaves are gorgeous. I was in North and South Carolina this weekend and hoping for some nice foliage, but the leaves hadn’t really changed much yet.
Lee recently posted..Rocktoberfest Half-Marathon

19 Amy October 24, 2011 at 8:00 am

Too funny. I’m a twin too (identical twin sister!) and we used to get those questions ALL the time. Did you guys ever get “so are you the good twin or the bad twin?” I used to roll my eyes at that one.

20 Melissa @TryingtoHeal October 24, 2011 at 9:09 am

My brothers had that secret language, and my mom says I even understood it when I was a kid. I think my brothers have that secret connection because get this, when the earthquake happened on the east coast this summer, one brother was there and the other in CA. The one in CA called him seconds after the earthquake (yet to be reported online/the news) and asked him if he was ok. crazzzzzy.
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on BT: Rufous Hummingbird by Maggie

21 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 24, 2011 at 9:24 am

I love that you still vacation with your family. Must be soo nice. Enjoy the relaxation!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..An Old Man Hug that Smells Good.

22 Cait's Plate October 24, 2011 at 9:28 am

Oh my gosh it’s absolutely BEAUTIFUL there!! I’m so jealous, what an awesome getaway :)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Weekend Scenes

23 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner October 24, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’ve heard of twins having their own secret language before. I think it’s really cool that babies are able to do something like that just because they shared a womb together for 9 months!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..adjusting

24 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile October 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I’ve always wanted a twin!! lol is that weird? Such pretty pictures!