Breakfast with a View

by Meghann on October 22, 2011

Good Morning from the beautiful Smoky Mountains.

Breakfast with a view, right? πŸ˜‰

My Mom has two requirements when we travel to the mountains:

1. High speed WiFi
  2. Hot Tub!

We took advantage of both almost as soon as we walked through the door last night.

Totally roughing it. πŸ˜‰

Due to our large, filling breakfast at Dillard House yesterday morning, I had only nibbled on a handful of cashews during the long car ride up. By the time we did make it to the cabin my hunger was finally starting to kick in, so I made a small bowl of oat bran with peanut butter before we got to work on dinner.

The cold mountain air calls for warm comfort food at night. Nothing is more warm or comforting than a nice pot of chili.

IMG_3679.JPG IMG_3680.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG IMG_3687.JPG

We followed the directions on the back of the seasoning packet and added a can of tomatoes, pinto beans, and some acorn squash. We let it cook for 45 minutes, then topped out bowls with fresh chopped onion and cheese.

And beer. Can’t forget the beer.

It was a lazy night of watching Felicity (LOVED the graduation episode, but I’m not a fan of the future/back in time stuff) and talking to Derek (I miss him).

I was able to sleep in this morning and rise with the sun. I had hoped to get a little running in, but the steep hills around us made it more of a walk than a run. I did find a flat area where I could get some suicides in mixed with a little jumping jacks/high knees/lunges.

I did 5 sets of suicides with some hill repeats up a gigantic hill. I finished out of breath with sore calves. It felt great. πŸ™‚

My travel breakfast.

Done.

Off to explore!

1 Amanda @ JustAmandaJ October 22, 2011 at 9:59 am

Wow, it is gorgeous up there! I like how your Mom thinks ;P I would be all over that hot tub!
Amanda @ JustAmandaJ recently posted..Feeling Lucky

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 22, 2011 at 10:00 am

Gorgeous views up in those mountains!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

3 Dana October 22, 2011 at 10:40 am

Are you in/near Gatlinburg? If so, you should totally go to the Pancake Pantry for breakfast. The sweet potato pancakes are amazing!

4 amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma October 24, 2011 at 11:21 am

I so agree!!
amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma recently posted..There’s nothing like it

5 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona October 22, 2011 at 10:41 am

That view is absolutely beautiful, especially with the leaves changing color!
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Bailey, Bowmont, and Poop

6 Amy October 22, 2011 at 11:10 am

Glad you’re having fun on your vacation! I just signed up for my first HIM!! It’s not till July of next year, but i’m super excited πŸ™‚

7 Hillary October 22, 2011 at 11:23 am

I’ve never been to the mountains before, but you’re making it look pretty irresistible.
Hillary recently posted..Positively Positive: Part Deux

8 Army Amy* October 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Acorn squash! When I first saw the picture, I couldn’t figure out what that was!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The one where I run

9 Sophie October 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Oh my, that view is beautiful!
Sophie recently posted..What I Learned From Being A Big Sister.

10 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups October 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Wow look at all the colors on the tree! I miss seeing that.
Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups recently posted..One month in

11 Christine @ BookishlyB October 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Love that you a) still go on family vacations despite being a grown up b) work out on vacations. I’d like to do more of both!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Pin the Tale on the Semi-Pointless Timesuck

12 Krystina (Organically Me) October 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Gorgeous view. πŸ˜€
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Goat Cheese & Almonds

13 Sana October 22, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I am glad you are enjoying your tine with your parents!

14 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm

that is an amazing view!!

i watched 4 episodes of felicity en route to london. HOOKED!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..london {days 3 + 4: time flies}

15 Amanda October 22, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Breakfast with a view is right! Wow, it’s beautiful there. So jealous of your hot tub!
Amanda recently posted..A Typical Lunch: Quick & Healthy

16 Sara@RunningInPinkProject October 22, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I love those travel packs of Justins nut butter! Its how I got hooked on almond butter to start with. πŸ™‚
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Cold and Hot

17 Mary October 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Looks beautiful there! I’m not sure about lemon and nut butter in the same bowl. Does that really taste good together?

18 Meghann October 23, 2011 at 8:35 am

Yes. It’s honey peanut butter so it had a little sweetness to it that really complemented the tart lemon.

19 Deva @ Deva by Definition October 22, 2011 at 6:26 pm

My grandparents live in the Smokey Mountains. I love sitting on their front porch to watch the sunrise, it is so lovely!
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..My Friday Five

20 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm

What an amazing view!! I’ve never been to the Smoky Mountains, but that looks like a worthy trip to add to my list!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Autumn beef and butternut squash stew

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 22, 2011 at 6:59 pm

That is a GORGEOUS view! The only view I had at breakfast was my propped up feet… πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

22 Ali Mc October 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm

This looks like something out of one of my dreams. I love the breakfast photos, both the view and the food look breathtaking! WOW. I want to live there. Tell your mom that hottubs ARE a must and she’s right on the money

love this I should visit more often πŸ™‚
Ali Mc recently posted..bands & dog runners…

23 Anna October 23, 2011 at 8:16 am

I totally just commented on your apple post saying my husband and I took our anniversary trip near where you guys are. It looks like you’re even staying in the same complex we stayed in. Is that Black Bear Ridge? I totally wanted to buy one of those cabins by the time we left. And, great news if you and Derek wanted to go back with Maddie — dogs under 40lbs can stay in about half the cabins! We took our little guy with us.

24 Meghann October 23, 2011 at 8:33 am

We’re in the Gatlinberg/Pigeon Forge area, but at a different cabin complex. I’ve stayed at probably 4 or 5 different cabins in the area over the last 10 years and each of them have the relatively same gorgeous views of the smokies, you really can’t go wrong here. πŸ™‚

25 Jess@atasteofconfidence October 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Wow gorgeous pics!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..a snapper and a keeper

26 amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma October 24, 2011 at 11:23 am

SO pretty I love the mountains – My hubby is from up there. We actually went to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon….we stayed in cabins like that – with the hottub and all – looks almost like the one’s we had.
amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma recently posted..There’s nothing like it