more ยป" />

Quick Pick

by Meghann on October 19, 2011

Hellllloooooo from one of my favorite places in the world – Orlando! – with one of my favorite people in the world – Hi Katy!

(Anyone else completely envious of Katy’s 3 week escape to Europe?! I’m even more jealous after hearing all the stories first hand. Also, I’m suddenly inspired to audition for Amazing Race and see the world. Who’s with me? :) )

I made the short 1.5 hour drive to Orlando this afternoon for a fun photo shoot that was, unfortunately, postponed on my way over. No worries, though, it gave me excuse to take care of some business in Orlando and visit with old friends.

Like Jeremiah’s.

I would count the Jeremiah’s Pumpkin Pie Ice as a very dear, old friend. ;)

It figures the first thing I would do when I arrived in O-Town would be to head to the closest Jeremiah’s and order my first Pumpkin Pie Ice of the season. ;)

Just as pumpkin-y and delicious as I remembered. If you don’t like pumpkin then you are going to hate this, but if you love pumpkin, then you will love it. It’s seriously like eating frozen pumpkin pie with a spoon. So. Good.

If I show back up here tomorrow and order the same thing, please don’t judge. ;)

Lunch wasn’t quite as fun as Jeremiah’s. Before I left Tampa, I reheated some leftover soup, broccoli, and tempeh with apple slices for lunch.

It was a pretty good, quickly thrown together meal. I’m really loving sprinkles of cheese on the soup and the apple slices were a crisp, cool dessert to the meal.

Dinner was a Publix quick-pick meal that I gathered before heading to my sister’s for the evening.

I was drawn to the sushi section, but it wasn’t the sushi that caught my attention – it was the dumplings. I’ve had the biggest dumpling craving ever since Courtney returned from China and told me how great they are over there.

These may not be as authentic as the ones Courtney enjoyed in China, but they did cure my craving. :)

The dumplings were balanced out with a nut and berry salad I found in the product section and topped with some honey dijon dressing I found in Kelly’s fridge.

The beauty of picking up dinner at a grocery store is you never know what you’re going to get. I went in thinking a sub and came out with dumplings and a salad. I <3 Publix. :)

Camera Update

So, I got some not-so-great news about my DSLR this afternoon.

After testing out several different SD cards – and coming to the conclusion that the error was coming from the camera and not card related – I brought my camera to Colonial Photo and Hobby in Orlando this afternoon. The store came highly recommended from friends and I knew I could trust them with my baby.

Unfortunately, the verdict wasn’t what I wanted to hear. Turns out the card reader has read it’s last card and will need to be replaced if I ever want to save another picture again. Knowing the problem was fixable gave me hope, hearing that the procedure would cost $250 made me sad. :(

The camera guy made a comment about my camera being ‘well-used’ when he first saw it. I thought he was being polite because it is very evident that I love and use my DSLR on a daily basis. It goes everywhere with me and has seen its fair share of sun, sand, food, and everything in between (and is well past due for a good cleaning).

When I tilted my chin down and politely apologized for the condition the camera was in, he told me not to apologize and be proud of it. He said he would rather see someone with a camera that was well-worn then one that collects dust and people are afraid to touch, for fear it will break.

Truth is my camera is pretty beat up and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the $250 to fix or if it would be better to put the $250 towards a new camera. I have a little bit of money set aside for a new lens that could go to a camera instead. I purchased my T1I from another blogger 2 years ago and I’ve never had a problem with it before now, but what if the error happens again? The camera is probably worth $400 (in mint condition, which mine is not), but I could potentially purchase another DSLR (without all the T1I bells and whistles) for a little more than it would be to fix the T1I. I was even playing with the new T3 at the store (it was so shiny and new :) ).

Of course, the next step would be to gather a second (and possibly 3rd) opinion before I make any decisions. I’m just afraid the verdict is going to be the same where ever I look. That’s what tends to happen when a piece of technology breaks – $$ everywhere you turn.

What would you? Fix the camera or invest in a new one?

1 Katy (The Singing Runner) October 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm

First off, I would totally do the amazing race with you! ;) I’m actually thinking about seriously applying with my dad to be on the show.

Sorry to hear about the camera! I really don’t have any advice though! Definitely go and get a few more opinions!

2 Ali @ Ali Runs October 19, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I would invest in a new camera if I were you, especially since you already have some other money set aside. Like you said, if it happens again that could be another $200 which is a lot for an older camera.

3 Dori October 19, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Buy a new one, no question. That is a lot of money to fix an old piece of electronics . . . worth it to use that money towards a new one.

4 tara October 19, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I’d sell it. I’ve had the same issue with laptops.. pay a few hundred to fix a used laptop or buy a new one for a few hundred more?! I usually choose to buy a new one since i know that one has more potential in the long run. you could try selling the broken camera on Ebay. I dropped one of my lenses for my slr last year and even though it was broke I was able to sell it online (saying it was broken in the listing of course) and it still sold, probably to someone who repairs them or who knows what they are doing :) also, we just sold our old near dead laptops to gazelle.com they buy used/unusable laptops, ipods, cell phones etc for the parts. not sure if they buy cameras buy check their site. good luck!

5 Cait's Plate October 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I LOVE dumplings. The Trader Joe’s veggie pot stickers are to die for (but I don’t think you have a Trader Joe’s, do you? Or did you get one?)

I would definitely go with a new one camera – if you can afford it, it will be completely worth it in the end.

6 Heather October 19, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Buy a new one!

7 Krystina (Organically Me) October 19, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I would probably put money towards a new camera. If your current one is beat up, it’s best to just start fresh.

8 Carissa October 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Where is this Jeremiah’s you speak of? And I seriously need to update my blogging camera and photo skills!

9 Army Amy* October 19, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I’d buy a new one. I don’t have a camera like that, but in terms of dollars and cents, I think it’s a betterdeal for your money than fixing it.*

10 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona October 19, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I vote for getting a new camera. With technology I think you’re better off investing your money in something newer rather than older.

Good luck with your decision – ones like that are always tough.

11 Chloe (In Fine Feather) October 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I would go for the new one, especially because the cost of fixing the old one is a good chunk of change. Plus, you don’t know if the old camera will break again soon and chances are a newer one would last longer.

12 mindy October 19, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Amazing Race? Yes please!
As for the camera, I would say you’d be better off to invest in a new one.

13 Kim October 19, 2011 at 10:46 pm

My Nikon D40 just had a shutter error and after about 5 years with it, instead of paying the $2oo or $300 to fix it, I invested in a Canon t2i. I had the same dilemma as you, but now I am just glad that I went ahead and went for something new.

14 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 19, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Awww so sorry about your camera! I hope the pumpkin pie Italian ice made it a slightly better day!

15 Sana October 19, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Sell the old camera and buy a new one. Pass it on to another blogger who is just starting of!

16 CheezyK October 19, 2011 at 11:02 pm

1 – start planning a trip to Europe now (and not Amazing Race style, you don’t need to see the whole place in one trip, give yourself a chance to see what you do see well)

2 – whatever you do with your camera, make sure you have a super-duper wide angle lens so that you can photograph Europe properly

17 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep October 20, 2011 at 12:10 am

I would totally do Amazing Race! I keep trying to convince my ex (who is still my best friend) to do it with me, but he keeps declining the invitation.

I heard you came in the store today. Sorry we didn’t have any skirts in your size! I hope to see you sometime soon!

18 Katherina October 20, 2011 at 12:49 am

Get a new one. With the amount of clicks you’ve registered on this one (I’m guessing it’s a high number) your camera is only going to develop more problems. Invest that $250 in a new camera.

19 Kelsey October 20, 2011 at 3:03 am

Hey! A picture of you was featured on Weddingbee today, I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of it but I was so surprised when I saw you on there! here is the link: http://www.weddingbee.com/2011/10/19/wedding-dress-fitting-5/

20 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 20, 2011 at 3:18 am

we’re heading to florida this winter for christmas break and i am scoping out a jeremiah’s pumpkin no matter what!

21 Brittany October 20, 2011 at 6:48 am

I lived in Orlando and never heard of Jeremiahs! That looks super yummy. I lived near UCF. Is it more downtown or in the heart of Orlando?

22 Hillary October 20, 2011 at 7:13 am

New one, hands down. It’ll just last you longer at this point (or it should, anyway!)

23 Hope October 20, 2011 at 7:28 am

That pumpkin pie water ice looks amazing!! I want pumpkin water ice! :)

24 Corey @ Learning Patience October 20, 2011 at 7:31 am

New one – for sure!
xoxo from Trinidad

25 Beth @ 990 Square October 20, 2011 at 7:39 am

I would buy a new one. I actually had the same dilemma earlier this year (while on vacation in France, actually) and I bought a new one. But don’t buy a cheaper one, or one with fewer features. This is your chance to upgrade–but if you don’t want to do that, I would at least buy something comparable!

26 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday October 20, 2011 at 8:31 am

It’s always cheaper to fix something than replace it. You’re probably better off fixing the camera and not spending $500+ more dollars than you have to.

27 Silvia @ skinny jeans food October 20, 2011 at 8:38 am

Shugs. Sorry to hear about the pricey repair. One way to not wear out the card reader is to use an EYE-FI card; it basically sends your pictures automatically to your laptop using your WI-FI at home, and you don’t have to take the card from the camera.

Tough decision, but with prices of good (!) SLRs today I probably would buy a new one, or a excellent condition/used one. However, research the cameras. I had one stolen a few years ago, and then bought a latest model Nikon and hated it. Bought another one with great consumer report ratings just 2 month later and love it.

28 Amanda October 20, 2011 at 9:10 am

Your meals looked delicious yesterday, especially the pumpkin pie ice! I would love to have a Jeremiah’s in Boston.

As for the camera, I would probably invest in a new one if you can swing it. I recently saw this new Lytro one that is so.freaking.insane. I don’t think I’d commit to it as my main camera, but the fact that it basically reinvents the camera, is relatively affordable, and you can choose what to focus on AFTER you’ve taken the pic…amazing. Here’s the link if you want to check it out:

29 Colleen October 20, 2011 at 9:13 am

I’d go for a new one. Not knowing what may break next would be my reason, plus the low end rebels are cheap now and love mine

30 Allie October 20, 2011 at 9:14 am

I would invest in a new camera! A new camera will come with a warranty, will give you a few new bells and whistles AND last you longer than if you simply repair your current one. Just my two cents though :)

31 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 20, 2011 at 9:28 am

I want to do Amazing Race so bad! And the second I saw that Pumpkin Ice thing … I googled it to see if I could find a recipe. I got nothin’. :( It looks SO GOOD.

32 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs October 20, 2011 at 9:45 am

If it was just the card reader I would spend the money to fix it. I have a lower-end DSLR and while it’s fine, I do wish I had the functions of the T1 (or above). If there were more internal issues, then I would replace it.

33 Tracey Leffler October 20, 2011 at 9:46 am

Thats unfortunate about your camera. I’d put the money to a new one, knowing in the long run that would last longer.

I am headed down to Orlando next weekend and have never been to Jerimiah’s! I will definitely be hitting that up for some pumpkin ice cream when I get there.

34 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine October 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

I would invest in a new one if you I were you. Definitely worth it, as much as you use it!

35 Mary @ food and fun on the run October 20, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’m so jealous that you got Jeremiah’s! I am heading to Orlando for Halloween weekend, and I fully intend to get some Pumpkin Gelato at least once while I am there.

Seems like you have definitely gotten use out of you current camera. Definitely spring for the new one :) Treat yourself! This is how you make a living and all :)

36 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy October 20, 2011 at 10:39 am

That totally sucks! But I would buy a new one seeing as how $250 could go a long ways toward a $500 camera

37 Liz October 20, 2011 at 10:42 am

I think I would buy a new one, especially since the DSLR bodies are not a bad price & $250 would go a long way towards that.

38 Faith @ For the Health of It October 20, 2011 at 10:56 am

Out of curiosity, what DSLR models are on your radar? I love my Nikon P90 but I’m looking to upgrade to something a little more “blog-oriented”. (hello, christmas…haha). I’ve seen tons of bundles that are in the $700 range but you mention cameras themselves that aren’t too much more than the $250 repair? Obviously, you get what you pay for, but if I could get a simple DLSR for something in the lower-end range, it seems like a much more realistic possibility. At any rate, do you have any suggestions for more inexpensive ones? I don’t need tons of fanciness, just the capacity to take clearer, brighter pictures.

39 Meghann October 20, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I’m a Canon girl and you can get a basic new rebel xs for $400ish on Amazon. Or the t3 is $500. I’ve never gone a bundle route when purchasing a camera and bought the t1i used from a friend. I’ve heard you can find good deals on Craigslist for used dslrs.

40 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life October 20, 2011 at 11:37 am

I have yet to actually even invest in a DSLR, so I don’t know how much I help I can be with that. I think I’m gonna need to find someone to buy one off of if I ever want to get one of my own!
But besides the camera, I am super jealous of your Pumpkin Pie Ice. No Jeremiah’s for us here in NY…but I want one, BAD!

41 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 20, 2011 at 11:58 am

I got the T3 earlier this year from Sam’s Club. It was $700 as a package with 2 lens, a bag and a memory card. I’d go the new camera route. :)

42 Deva @ Deva by Definition October 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I personally would put the money toward a new camera. If you have lenses and accessories for the Canon, I’d also stick with Canon (I personally love Canon cameras and have been working with them since I was a teenager). Definitely do your research, and if you are anything like me, definitely play with the model of camera you want before buying one :-).

43 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I’d sell it and buy a new one–but that’s just me!

44 Victoria October 20, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Just as an fyi, I took my old camera to Colonial and they told me it needed a really expensive repair. Turns out, there was nothing wrong with the camera. I still like Colonial and go there, but maybe it might be worth having a second opinion?

45 Meghann October 20, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Yeah this is why I think it’s worth a second opinion. It’s tough getting accepting the opinion when repairing repairing anything because you just never know.

46 Emily@SavoryandSavage October 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I concur with the new camera choice. Better to put the money into a new one than spend it on trying to fix your current one and just have to keep pouring money in.

47 kirsten October 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Sorry about your camera!! I would definitely invest in a new one rather than getting it fixed. If you were to get it fixed something else might break in it. I think it’s better to put the money toward a new camera that you will have for the next few years.

48 Shaun @ snackasaurusrex October 20, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I would probably go with new camera, myself. The only time I have the “latest and greatest” is when I have squeezed out every last bit of potential out of my stuff, then I enjoy the upgrade ;)

49 Sophie October 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Oooh, that is horrible news :(